Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674446 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2500 on: January 19, 2021, 12:51:28 AM »
The Lakers really thought they could coast through that one. The Warriors rightly made them pay. They now have two big come back wins over Los Angeles teams.

Wiggins got some of Michael Jordan’s Secret Stuff from Space Jam and made 13 three pointers in a row.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:56:59 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: January 19, 2021, 12:55:21 AM »
Warriors with the W over Lebron and the Lakers tonight.

This puts Steph 13 three's away from number 2 on the all time list.
Something that would've happened last season had COVID but interrupted and left the bottom teams without a play schedule.

I hionestly only caught the last half of 4th quarter. So I missed the majority of the game.
Heard that Wiggins and Oubre basically locked down Lebron and AD, and from what it sounded like, it was Schroeder in the first Qtr+ that was making deep cuts on the Warriors. In the post game, the TNT crew basically said what Adrock said, in that they thought they were just gonna go through the motions and walk away with the Win... LOL that didn't happen tonight. I'm sure they come with different energy next time we meet. But hopefully when that happens, Curry is in a groove and can erase the majority of our offensive and defensive mistakes with a flurry of quick demoralizing 3's.

I'm fucking SHOCKED at the Harden transformation. Now granted, I haven't been paying close attention to Harden, but they been poking at how "Healthy" he was looking at how them strip clubs in Houston must've been feeding him good..... Then he shows up on the Nets a few days later in the best shape of his life... WTF 0_o
how he lose 30lbs in a matter of days. Was he wearing a fat suit? I don't remember if we discussed this, but that don't make no sense.
That Durant Harden team up looks to work though. Harden seems to be happy to not have to run the D.Morey system, and just get back to playing ball. If only they had kept Jarrett Allen though...  (maybe they can trade Kyrie to get him back. LOL). Now I only saw highlights and some commentary, so I didn't see it all with my own eyes, but Nets looks strong. What happens when Kyrie comes back though? We can see it was Westbrook that was the problem between KD & Harden, but where does Kyrie fit in w/ these 2?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:05:18 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: January 21, 2021, 01:30:37 AM »
What happens when Kyrie comes back though?
Whiff a game against the Cavaliers apparently.

I only saw the end of regulation and both overtime periods. Durant had 38, Irving had 37, and Harden had 21. The Cavaliers played eight players. Colin Sexton was on fire from the arc in the extra periods, hit the game tying three pointer at the end of the overtime then three (!) three pointers in the second overtime. Jarrett Allen was a great pick up for the Cavs. No idea why the Rockets didn’t want him. He’s making less than $4 million this season so I don’t think it was salary.

Sixers vs. Celtics was also very good. They match up well. Glad the Sixers got the win.

Cole Anthony hit a game winner (he’s a rookie on the Magic). I don’t know why the Timberwolves are so terrible.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 21, 2021, 06:37:52 AM »
I saw Nets highlights, mostly Sexton lighting up the Nets in OT. LOL
we'll just call that game Allen's revenge. I don't know how Allen Jarret did in the game specifically, but I'm sure he was extra motivated to win it. Sexton clearly had a point to prove though. Lol

But I did watch the Warriors MURDER the Spurs last night. They had a good flow to them for most of the game. Curry was getting everyone involved, and people were actually hitting shots and moving the ball. They were definitely playing Curry ball, and it was nice to see. I was watching passively while watching TV with my daughter, so I can't say if the Spurs just weren't in it, or if the W's were seriously out playing them, but I just like to see that the Warriors have gotten some sort of groove and working out some kinks.
They were expected to lose the majority of these games starting with the Clippers series, and are currently sporting a winning record of 8-6 with a spree of very hopeful wins coming up that include the Knicks, Timberwolves, and an over-rested Suns.

I'm hoping we have a good night against the Jazz as well. Win or lose, just want to play a good game.

p.s. I believe Curry has 10 more 3's before he moves into the All-Time 2nd spot on the 3 point list.
Who wants to make bets on which game that will be? I'm hoping he lights up the Jazz, gets the W and the slot movement on the list. That would be a good night!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:51:36 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 22, 2021, 01:18:30 AM »
Bad game, worse loss

this moment was BULLSHIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dovmy2ZIlK0

the flow changed after that. Dray was yelling at Wiseman about the previous bad play, and the Ref took it personal or something and ejected Dray by giving him his 2nd Tech. We lost our floor general with a bunch of lost souls running on the floor around Curry. We were still in the game up till that point. I was hoping they would review and reverse like they did with Cousins a few years back after he was ejected... but no such luck.

Oh well.... on to the next game. We shall get our revenge on the Jazz instead!!! LOL
Curry also gonna slide into that #2 All Time 3pointer slot against the Jazz as well. I can feel it. 5+ triple's incoming!!!!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: January 23, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
What happens when Kyrie comes back though?
Whiff a game two games against the Cavaliers apparently.
Just fixing this.
this moment was BULLSHIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dovmy2ZIlK0
Yeah. I stopped watching the game after that nonsense. The NBA retroactively rescinded the technical foul (the refs even admitted at halftime that it was the wrong call), but they still cost the Warriors the game. I think Steve Kerr was trying to use his coach's challenge which he would have won because you can hear Green yelling at Wiseman. The refs weren't having that at all so unfortunately, there's now precedent for that (not sure if anyone else tried that before). At the same, Green got his first technical foul like four minutes into the game. Come on, man.

Side-bar: I like the coach's challenge, and I want it to be expanded. For example, if your challenge was successful, you should get the challenge back in addition to the timeout. Maybe not infinitely like if you just keep successfully challenging calls. Not your fault the refs made an incorrect call.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 23, 2021, 12:51:40 PM »
Do you remember that game a few years back when the Warriors played the Kings, and Demarcus Cousins got his 2nd tech, put on his crybaby face, and left the court. After a timeout, the Tech was rescinded, and he came back into the game.

I figured since this happened just before Halftime, that they would review this call back in Secaucus (or whatever it's called) and bring back Draymond in the 2nd half since he only would've missed the very end of the 2nd Qtr. I mean, there was precedence for that, since they did it for Cousins.....
But NOPE. and because of that, we ultimately lost the game.

for them to come out after the game and admit that is bullshit, because they could've fixed it at half-time. Post game apologies mean nothing to no one.

and I also agree on the Coach's challenge. You shouldn't be able to use it more than maybe once per quarter or per half, but if you use it early and are successful, you should have no penalty of a used TO and retain your challenge for future use.
This way you can still challenge blatantly bad calls, but also still need to be strategic about it's use if the call was questionable and it's still too early in the game to gamble.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:53:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 23, 2021, 10:37:09 PM »
As of this writing, it looks like the Warriors have found themselves shredded by a very musical buzzsaw. :D

Hey Shaq! It looks like our "second or third" option is currently outscoring Steph Curry (though he won't need to continue outscoring him for the Jazz to win this game), so go **** yourself, "Aight". :P

Seriously, I understand where the TNT staff were coming from with those comments, but I don't understand why Shaq chose to openly be a dick to Mitchell on live TV.

On a side note, I really like the twist on the greatest Jazz logo with these meme shirts.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:41:42 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 24, 2021, 07:50:46 AM »
We got slaughtered, as expected.
Curry moved to #2, as predicted
It was not a good game for the Dubs, but I only listened to the first half.

I missed what exactly was said by the TNT crew, Shaq specifically this time, but we know Shaq and Barkley consistently have terrible takes. I heard Durant wasn't having it, but I still never actually took the time to find out specifically what it was all about.

Edit: fixed autocorrect mistakes
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:19:15 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 24, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »
We got slaughtered, as expected.
Curry moved to #2, as predicted
It was not a good game for the Dubs, but I only larger to the first half.

I missed what exactly was said by the TNT crew, Shaq specifically this time, but we know Shaq and Barkley consistently have terrible taskes. I heard Durant wasn't having it, but I still never actually took the time to find out surgically what it was all about.

Some relevant links:

1. The TNT crew discussing Donovan Mitchell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WUQculA1Y8

2. Shaq talking to Donovan post-game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2keoH6vtX4

I get what Shaq was possibly TRYING to do, but he just comes off as a jerk.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 24, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
I mostly agree with the takes in the first clip. Kenny's criteria for what makes a superstar is sound. I can't really argue with Shaq and Barkley saying Mitchell isn't a superstar. He isn't, not yet anyway. Mitchell is in his fourth year. Can y'all give him a minute? Not everyone is Michael Jordan. Wardell Curry wasn't a superstar until what, his fifth or sixth season. I don't mean that as a Curry-Mitchell player comparison, just pointing out it's okay that Mitchell isn't a superstar right now. At 24, he's probably like three years from entering his prime. I'm extremely high on Mitchell so I think he gets there.

In the second clip, Shaq is clearly poking the bear. He wants Mitchell to get angry because he's of the mindset that emotion, particularly anger, can take your game to another level. Consider that this is the same person who created a whole narrative about David Robinson refusing to give him an autograph just so he could be angry when playing the Spurs. It's also at least part of the reason he has been so shitty to Dwight Howard since 2004. Howard wanted a mentor, but Shaq demanded Howard prove he deserved respect, use that trolling to be better. That isn't who Howard is. It's kind of the same reason Shaq never talks **** about Hakeem Olajuwon. What's he going to say? Shaq may have more rings, but he never beat Olajuwon in the Finals.

My problem with Shaq here is it's almost as if he has no idea that other people can have a different approach to the game than And-It-Became-Personal-To-Me®. Interestingly, Olajuwon is one of the old heads who gives back to the game and works out with young players (I think they pay him, but still).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:05:55 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: January 24, 2021, 03:55:09 PM »
I mostly agree with the takes in the first clip. Kenny's criteria for what makes a superstar is sound. I can't really argue with Shaq and Barkley saying Mitchell isn't a superstar. He isn't, not yet anyway. Mitchell is in his fourth year. Can y'all give him a minute? Not everyone is Michael Jordan. Wardell Curry wasn't a superstar until what, his fifth or sixth season. I don't mean that as a Curry-Mitchell player comparison, just pointing out it's okay that Mitchell isn't a superstar right now. At 24, he's probably like three years from entering his prime. I'm extremely high on Mitchell so I think he gets there.

In the second clip, Shaq is clearly poking the bear. He wants Mitchell to get angry because he's of the mindset that emotion, particularly anger, can take your game to another level. Consider that this is the same person who created a whole narrative about David Robinson refusing to give him an autograph just so he could be angry when playing the Spurs. It's also at least part of the reason he has been so shitty to Dwight Howard since 2004. Howard wanted a mentor, but Shaq demanded Howard prove he deserved respect, use that trolling to be better. That isn't who Howard is. It's kind of the same reason Shaq never talks **** about Hakeem Olajuwon. What's he going to say? Shaq may have more rings, but he never beat Olajuwon in the Finals.

My problem with Shaq here is it's almost as if he has no idea that other people can have a different approach to the game than And-It-Became-Person-To-Me®. Interestingly, Olajuwon is one of the old heads who gives back to the game and works out with young players (I think they pay him, but still).

Like I said, I get what he was trying to do, but he just came off rude with Mitchell. Apparently, other players like Lebron & Durant also found it a bit over the line.

I agree with the overall sentiment that Mitchell is a bit of a one-trick pony right now, but I find the dismissive "2nd or 3rd option" comment about him to be insulting considering how many games I've seen Mitchell put this team on his back in previous years.

Plus, I'm sure Mitchell COULD have a double-double in assists or rebounds if he really wanted to. Thing is, he's playing on a team with expert passers and elite rebounders. Scoring is his area of expertise, much as rebounding and blocks are with Gobert. He doesn't NEED to perform the role of others on a team that's built for team play. The Jazz system just isn't designed to have players go off for 30-60 point nights.

Also, I find all of this a bit rich coming from a guy who couldn't hit a shot more than 2 feet from the rim in his prime.  :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:57:07 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 24, 2021, 08:50:33 PM »
Like I said, I get what he was trying to do, but he just came off rude with Mitchell. Apparently, other players like Lebron & Durant also found it a bit over the line.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I merely used the clips you posted as a jumping off point. Shaq's comments were rude. They're also silliness because he acts like there isn't another way which is demonstrably false. Tim Duncan, for example, has more rings than Shaq while being like the most soft spoken superstar in league history.
I agree with the overall sentiment that Mitchell is a bit of a one-trick pony right now, but I find the dismissive "2nd or 3rd option" comment about him to be insulting considering how many games I've seen Mitchell put this team on his back in previous years.
Contextually, Shaq is referring to Mitchell being a first option on a championship team which fine, in Shaq's defense, Mitchell hasn't been. Verdict is out on this season though based on record, the Jazz are doing very well. Put Mitchell on the last few championship teams, and he wouldn't be the first option on any of them. Even on the top contenders of the last few years, he still wouldn't be the first option. Shaq wasn't necessarily wrong. Didn't have to be a dick about it though.
Plus, I'm sure Mitchell COULD have a double-double in assists or rebounds if he really wanted to.
Okay, I disagree with this. Sure, Mitchell is skilled enough to lead the Jazz in assists and rebounds, but they aren't winning many games that way.
Also, I find all of this a bit rich coming from a guy who couldn't hit a shot more than 2 feet from the rim in his prime.  :P
I get that you're partially joking, but I don't understand your point regardless. Shots two feet from the rim are the highest percentage shots in basketball, and prime Shaq could get them at will. It sounds easy except if it was so easy, everyone would do it. Prime Shaq's footwork was amazing, and he was double/triple teamed while also often being fouled with or without the whistle. This sounds like I'm being a homer, but I should note I didn't like the Lakers until they lost to the Celtics in 2008.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: January 27, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »
I was so excited to finally get a Lakers game called by Mike Breen and Doris Burke then they played like garbage. Cool, cool. Nice 10-0 road start they once had there.

Edit: 11-0 run right as I stopped watching. Cool, cool.

Edit: 13-0 run.

Final edit: Aaaaaaand they lost. Harris with the game winner.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:25:08 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 28, 2021, 12:14:09 AM »
Meanwhile, the Jazz took the #1 record in the League right now with their 10th win in a row against the Dallas Mavericks.

Honestly, on paper this game should not have been the blowout it was. The Mavericks just got 3 of their starters back from CoVid quarantine; Donovan Mitchell was out on Concussion watch following a rough game against the Knicks last night; Derrick Favors was out due to a minor injury from the same game; and we were on the 2nd night of a back-to-back. And last night's game against the Knicks was a rough one, with the team coming from behind by double-digits to win the game in the 4th quarter.

This year's Jazz team is something else, though. Rudy Gobert had the best game he's had in years: 29 points; 20 rebounds; 3 steals; 3 blocks; and 1 assist. Jordan Clarkson went off for a 31 point, 7 rebound game. Ingles & Conley also had big games in their own right.

The one player Jazz fans are extremely baffled about is Bojan Bogdanovic. After a great season last year, the guy just has not managed to put together 1 good game all season, and we really need him. I don't know if he's not getting enough touches with Conley finally finding his groove on this team or if his surgery at the end of last season is still bothering him, but we really need him when we face the real heavy-hitters.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 28, 2021, 02:42:01 AM »
Haha Lakers.

Anyway, Warriors had a ROUGH start tonight, but once the 1st quarter ended, things seemed pick up for both teams.  Turned out to be pretty good game for the last 3 quarters.

Funny thing is that trade rumors have been circulating about Lonzo Ball, and somehow the Warriors and Kelly Oubre got mixed up in it all.... main question is, WHO WANTS LONZO BALL!?
Oubre ain't perfect, but he's a much better player than Ball. Besides Oubre had a helluva night tonight. didn't miss **** till the 4th quarter. He played hard, maybe harder than usual, and it was probably because of those trade rumors, but he was crucial to the Warriors winning tonight.

But seriously, who is trying to trade for Lonzo Ball?
we got no space for the BS in the Bay.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 30, 2021, 10:01:16 AM »
Well, Mitchell continues to be out on Concussion watch and Favors out with back soreness, but the Jazz wiped the floor with the Mavericks anyway (again) for their 11th straight win.

You know how I was just saying that fans were frustrated with Bojan because he hadn't had one good game all season?

32 points, 2 assists.

I think he might have had a good game.  :P

Also, it really goes to show how different the NBA of the 90s was compared to today, as Joe Ingles just passed John Stockton to become the Jazz's all time leader in 3 point shots made, despite John spending an entire career with the Jazz and Joe only a few seasons.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 30, 2021, 11:00:57 PM »
Klay Thompson is a terrible interviewee. This is straight up painful.

Damian Lillard hit another game winner. I feel like game winners can be a countable stat for him.
Also, it really goes to show how different the NBA of the 90s was compared to today, as Joe Ingles just passed John Stockton to become the Jazz's all time leader in 3 point shots made, despite John spending an entire career with the Jazz and Joe only a few seasons.
In a semi-recent interview, Steve Nash said he wished he shot more three pointers. My first thought was yeah, you and John Stockton. Then again, if Stockton shot more, he may not be the NBA all-time assist leader by something like 3,700 assists. I mean, records are made to be broken. This one seems insurmountable to me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:38:18 PM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: February 01, 2021, 12:17:36 AM »
Holy shiz, man. The end of the Wizards vs Nets game was bananas. Did anyone see that live? I only saw a recap/highlights. I was going to put the game on then figured the Wizards were going to get murder-death-killed so instead chose to focus on reinstalling my upstairs toilet. Stupid. It’s one of the best finishes this season. I highly recommend looking it up.

And I’m indifferent to most teams which is helpful as a basketball fan because I can put on any game and not feel that pressure of rooting for one team over another, and just enjoy the game for what it is. That said, tonight, YOU HAD ONE JOB, JAZZ. Now the Clippers have the best record.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: February 01, 2021, 12:27:32 AM »
I was listening to it on the XM while driving, up till somewhere before halftime.

Considering the comments by Beal about their team needing a miracle, and the interview with the coach about not wanting to trade Beal ever, I could see Westbrook wanting to make a statement game against Durant.

I'm gonna go watch the highlights later.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: February 01, 2021, 08:03:12 AM »
Holy shiz, man. The end of the Wizards vs Nets game was bananas. Did anyone see that live? I only saw a recap/highlights. I was going to put the game on then figured the Wizards were going to get murder-death-killed so instead chose to focus on reinstalling my upstairs toilet. Stupid. It’s one of the best finishes this season. I highly recommend looking it up.

And I’m indifferent to most teams which is helpful as a basketball fan because I can put on any game and not feel that pressure of rooting for one team over another, and just enjoy the game for what it is. That said, tonight, YOU HAD ONE JOB, JAZZ. Now the Clippers have the best record.

*shrugs* Denver always gives us problems. The 2 teams are normally equally matched, but we only just thst day got back Mitchell from concussion protocol and Favors from his back injury. I kinda already had that game pencilled as a loss. I just hope we don't lose to the Pistons tomorrow like the Lakers somehow managed to do last week. :P

We have a rough road trip ahead of us this month. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a bit of a beating in the standings, especially while Mitchell's still getting back into fighting form.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: February 01, 2021, 10:47:37 AM »

*shrugs* Denver always gives us problems. The 2 teams are normally equally matched, but we only just thst day got back Mitchell from concussion protocol and Favors from his back injury. I kinda already had that game pencilled as a loss. I just hope we don't lose to the Pistons tomorrow like the Lakers somehow managed to do last week. :P

We have a rough road trip ahead of us this month. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a bit of a beating in the standings, especially while Mitchell's still getting back into fighting form.

Especially how after the Warriors left you a husk of a team too face. They may be ready for a fight to re-establish their confidence after that last game. So be ready. 🤣

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: February 01, 2021, 02:27:21 PM »
Ehh, the Lakers were on a second game of a back to back, third game in four nights, and Anthony Davis was injured. I would have been more surprised if they won that game. To the Pistons credit, they’ve rattled off some impressive wins this season. They recently beat the Sixers too. It has not been a good time recently for teams I root for.

I feel like you’re under the impression that I was **** talking the Jazz. On the contrary, I was actively rooting for the Jazz in that game in particular when I normally wouldn’t have chosen sides, mostly because I still find the Clippers hard to like. Paul George’s general attitude, lack of self-accountability, blatant dishonesty etc. kind of sours the entire team to me even though I like Kawhi Leonard’s game. The Nets are in the same boat for me. I thoroughly enjoy watching Kevin Durant play basketball so much that I could have convinced myself to mostly tolerate Kyrie Irving dribble out a shot clock and say weird nonsense off the court then the Nets traded for James Harden who plays the most infuriating style of basketball. So much for that.

As for the actual game, the Nuggets, who are markedly worse than last year after losing two rotation players this season, got a career night out of Nikola Jokic. At that point, you kind of have to just hope your team can weather that storm.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 02:41:07 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: February 01, 2021, 04:48:59 PM »
Adrock, I know. I share your disdain for the Clippers. I also know you were just kidding. That's why I traded your jest with one of my own about the Lakers' recent loss against a team they should have beat.  :P

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: February 02, 2021, 10:15:15 PM »

Ehh, I still picked the Nets tonight. NBA is unpredictable. Back-to-back, the Nets lost to the worst team in the league by record then beat the best team in the league by record. Well, not anymore. The Clippers’ loss puts the Jazz back up.

Anyway, I didn’t realize there was a double header. I liked the We Believe Warriors, but I really don’t like the colors.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:18:15 PM by Adrock »