Author Topic: too many ads!  (Read 13276 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: too many ads!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2003, 11:59:52 AM »
I just started using Opera myself, and I have to say it seems to be better on many things.  Pure speed against my interent explorer is interesting.  I can do a pgc load on each browser and Opera does it in about half the time.  It could just be that my ie has some issues somewhere.  I'm not sure....but I was still thinking pgc was having major server issues until I installed Opera and realized its apparently me...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2003, 01:15:24 PM »
Ok, cool.  KnowsNothing now has quick reply!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2003, 02:34:19 PM »
What I really love about Opera (besides the built-in pop-up blocker) is if for some reason you accidently close Opera, or it closes itself down, or there's som other problem, when you open it again it can take you right back to where you were browsing. Pretty handy, if you ask me.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2003, 07:28:00 PM »
I think you can do that in interent explorer too...but it is handy.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline snorgasmo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2003, 01:37:46 PM »
i understand the need for advertisements, but it would be nice if pgc had standards for ads.. intrusive ads that obstruct content i think are counterproductive.. you may be getting paid more for them, but you're also pissing off your readers (i would like to take that nike ad and pull it's pants down in a busy public place for example).. so which is more important to pgc? a few extra cents per impression* or your readers?

* i have no idea how you're getting paid for that nike ad
-- COMMODE7 - we write about videogames.. or something...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2003, 01:41:06 PM »
The ads seem to occur less now.  I see no problem.

"which is more important to pgc? a few extra cents per impression* or your readers?"

I vote a few cents.  No ads means no money, which could lead to no PGC.  What good would readers do then?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2003, 03:48:03 PM »
Yeah, but no readers would lead directly to PGC going down- it's a tight situation either way.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2003, 08:23:39 PM »
I really think pgc should do more merch...cool pgc t-shirts, e3 chotskis (sp?), dvds, i dunno, they prolly already had this, but if noa doesn't realize how integral a part pgc is to their marketing than they got some issues.  I know you could never get funding and be a somewhat "official" nintendo site, but what about seeing if they could give you some crap to sell....like i dunno, i guess it wouldn't really work.....but maybe they could give you some stuff to just give away...but that doesn't help the money situation...i dunno...if i was the head of marketing for nintendo, i would give great fansitse some free server space or something....
---------------------

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2003, 02:27:46 AM »
Its the ad's with BLARING SOUND that drive me nuts. I check PGC out fairly late some nights and ad's such as the new Nike one can easily wake up people in another room.
I honestly am considering stopping buying from companies that use intrusive advertising of any kind, be it pop ups or telemarketing, bother me once and I will tell you to kiss my azz for eternity.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2003, 11:12:55 AM »
I never have sound on anyway, except when I'm listening to music on the computer, which isn't that often.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
too many ads!
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2003, 12:29:19 PM »
I have experienced one actual popup in all my time with PGC.  The rest are the once-a-day between-the-links ads,  or the most common flash ad, which which don't happen in the forums (where i spend most of my time).  I am extremely happy with PGC, and I think the staff has done all they can do to stop annoying ads, and it really shows.

Kudos to a job well done!  (and if you didn't do anything...then...well...good job anyway )

=me!

As for you, thecubbedcanuck, turn your sound down or better yet, off.  There's nothing to listen to here unless you're at the PGC radio.

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2003, 09:25:54 PM »
Grey Ninja - Thanks for the link to Mozilla Firebird. I've always been using IE, and never realized how bad it was, even compared to lesser-known browsers such as Mozilla.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2003, 06:06:08 AM »
Heh.  Don't thank me Molobert.  Thank yourself for having the brains to try it out for yourself.    Anyways, I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2003, 06:10:49 AM »
oh yeah, i also made the switch, and aside from not being able to get flash based things to work, its alot better than internal exploder. tabbed browsers are alot easier and even ctrl tabbing can cycle through them im set!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2003, 06:46:32 AM »
Just get the netscape flash6 plugin.  It's about a 600k download.  After that, just select your plugin directory and go to town.  

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2003, 09:31:53 AM »
 I've downloaded the mozilla firebird and i like its customizability. But there seems to be a problem. I can't find where to turn on the offline mode, as I'm used to use it alot with IE.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2003, 10:01:39 AM »
 Nevermind the last message. I've deleted the Mozilla Browser from my computer and it made the situation worse when all JPEG, GIF,... image files now are using the firebird icon and it looks terrible.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2003, 11:12:47 AM »
Your image files will use the icon of the default program to view them with.  In your case, you obviously don't have a better default, so it uses the Firebird icon.  If it bothers you, then change the icon in the folder options menu.

As for offline browsing, I have no idea how you would do that, as I have never used the function.  You could try the Firebird forums though.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2003, 05:47:34 PM »
 Thanks for your help Grey Ninja. I've got everything resolved about the pics.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2003, 03:50:49 PM »
Glad I could help.  

I think I should mention though, that I just installed Firebird 6.1 RC1, and it seems they have changed the icon... It's a lot snazzier.  It's like a whole lot of fire.  

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2003, 07:48:31 AM »
I have one problem with Mozilla Firebird. Whenever I try to download movies and such, it just brings up a page with a lot of symbols and letters, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Any help is appreciated.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2003, 06:45:54 AM »
Molobert: Firebird isn't finished yet. I think that is a known issue that the team is working on. Try downloading the newest version.

I browse exclusively with Firebird, it's awesome.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2003, 07:11:26 AM »
I normally right click and save them anyways, so it doesn't really bother me.  It also only happens with some types of movies, such as the WMV ones.  MPEG and QT movies should play without a hitch.

Offline snorgasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2003, 11:41:25 AM »
call me a whiney bitch, but the ad situation has gotten out of hand on PGC.. there are now 3-4 banner ads and 2 popup ads for each page... now if PGC was offering special content to justify this sort of thing then i wouldn't mind. as it stands, there is nothing that appears on planet gamecube that doesn't appear on other sites... other sites that DON'T have 5 billion popup ads... other sites that have triple the coverage (multiplatform sites)!!!

i seem to recall the billy managed PGC to have done just fine without the absurd amount of ads and the site had way better content. now, it just feels like someone is trying to cash in on the site while providing the bare minimum of mediocre content for the site.

this isn't a threat.. i'm already done with this site and won't be visiting again for a very long time, if ever again. just thought you'd like to know WHY. i will probably still lurk in the forums once in awhile though... cheers.

-- COMMODE7 - we write about videogames.. or something...

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:too many ads!
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2003, 01:45:03 PM »
That's the most LUDICROUS thing I've ever heard.

First, the way our ads are handled has not changed one iota since Billy left.  We've been sticking with the status quo, so any increase in ads is all in your imagination.  (Save for the extra pop-up on the media download page, which offsets the costs for that server).

Second, every single dollar generated by our ads go towards the site.  No one is "cashing in", and to suggest otherwise is simply ignorant.

That said, a simple pop-up blocker gets rid of most of those ads.  All the in-line ads are unobtriusive enough where we've received very few complaints about them.

If you're not going to come back because you refuse to get a pop-up blocker or a browser that will do it, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy from me.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153