Author Topic: Pokémon X and Y Revealed  (Read 12106 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon X and Y Revealed
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »
I wonder how many Ian's and EasyCures are actually out there? I am the pokenut, who in some cases view it as a way of life. I've been playing in tournies and going to events for over a decade now. I make sure my daughter has poke dolls has her primary doll, has over 700 hours on each version and I'm the type who has literally at least 1 of every Pokemon in the box and no space for extras. I was going to buy this regardless, even though I so desperately wanted a facelift.

But now I see guys like IanCure on other forums as well coming out of the woodworks. I predict the 3DS is going to outsell DS with this Pokemon title eclipsing all the others. Nah not really, but wouldn't be surprised.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
The last Pokemon I played was Silver and before that I only played Yellow. All of the other games did nothing but grab my attention because of the communication features. Eventually I fell out of the loop and then I got into Animal Crossing. This new Pokemon looks rich and dynamic, I can't lie and say that I 'm not interested. I just might pick it up if the rest of the details are exciting.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »
now I just have to decide if I want to get a 3ds now our keep holding on for a redesign...

If you're going to get a 3DS primarily to play this new Pokemon I say wait until after E3. Who knows? They might, indeed, announce a redesign.

Waiting would mean not being able to play Fire Emblem for a few months though.

Swings and roundabouts.

Oh I wouldn't buy one JUST for Pokemon 3DS, there is a list of games I'd like to play, I just can't justify the price knowing my history with handhelds (never give them the attention they deserve) and considering my luck*, it's better I wait anyway..

Fortunately, I've never really tried the FE series so missing it won't be a big loss :P

*my luck: I was a slightly poor kid, by the time I saved up enough money to buy my GameBoy Color (my first ever GameBoy) the GBA was announced. I had ALMOST bought a GBA a few years later, can't remember why I didn't, but I remember being glad I didn't because shortly after I had heard about the GBA SP being announced (I still like the original GBA design better though..). When I finally bought a DS - the Mario kart bundle with a red DS Phat - and the DSL was announced shortly after.. so yeah, I didn't want to rush in to a 3DS because of this history.

But now I see guys like IanCure on other forums as well coming out of the woodworks. I predict the 3DS is going to outsell DS with this Pokemon title eclipsing all the others. Nah not really, but wouldn't be surprised.

IanCure sounds like a joint tribute album for Joy Division and The Cure.. I really wish that existed now :(

PS. you have a daughter!? Where was I when this happened!?!?!?!?

PPS. HOLY ****! THEFLEECE!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:50:26 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks those overworld graphics are "meh"?

I was expecting more from the 3DS's first real Pokemon game, but this looks barely better than a regular DS game (see Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks). I was hoping we'd see graphics on par with Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Super Mario 3D Land.

The Pokemon models themselves look fantastic, however. It's just the overworld and trainers that look "bleh".
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »

*my luck: I was a slightly poor kid, by the time I saved up enough money to buy my GameBoy Color (my first ever GameBoy) the GBA was announced. I had ALMOST bought a GBA a few years later, can't remember why I didn't, but I remember being glad I didn't because shortly after I had heard about the GBA SP being announced (I still like the original GBA design better though..). When I finally bought a DS - the Mario kart bundle with a red DS Phat - and the DSL was announced shortly after.. so yeah, I didn't want to rush in to a 3DS because of this history.

I wouldn't worry about another redesign. They are still selling the XL alongside the original 3DS model.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:38 PM »

I wouldn't worry about another redesign. They are still selling the XL alongside the original 3DS model.

XL isn't a redesign though, it's another thing to worry about.. When they make a redesigned model, will they release the XL version along with it or will I have to wait for that version to come out, ugh.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »

XL isn't a redesign though, it's another thing to worry about.. When they make a redesigned model, will they release the XL version along with it or will I have to wait for that version to come out, ugh.

Um... it IS a redesign. It's bigger than the older model, and it has a completely different look to it (rounded instead of square).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »
It's not a redesign, though, in the sense that it has feature parity with the original model, and the only real difference is the size. Compare that to the various DS redesigns, which all offered new features or more significant improvements (except the DSi XL, which was to the DSi what the 3DS XL was to the 3DS, namely a different size option).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 12:19:58 AM »
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2013/01/pokemon-x-and-y-to-boost-franchise-to-over-700-pokemon

Interesting info that should be added to the article.

Um, none of that info is unexpected or surprising. Of course it will boost the total to over 700. The lowest ANY gen has added was Generation II with 100 new Pokemon, and no chance in hell of Generation VI adding less than 51. New merchandise based on X and Y? Duh. Global launch, already mentioned. The game using 3DS's power? Shocker, lol. Etc. Nothing really worth noting.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »
Um, none of that info is unexpected or surprising. Of course it will boost the total to over 700. The lowest ANY gen has added was Generation II with 100 new Pokemon, and no chance in hell of Generation VI adding less than 51. New merchandise based on X and Y? Duh. Global launch, already mentioned. The game using 3DS's power? Shocker, lol. Etc. Nothing really worth noting.
> The game uses an innovative communication system that makes it feel as if you are playing with other players around the world.

> The bonds between players and Pokemon will deepen, And Pokemon will become stronger with the new battle structure.

You're telling me this was expected? I thought this was a very interesting read tbh.
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 01:04:28 AM »
That Froakie looks pimp.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »
Without details, those sound like PR talk. The "innovative" communication system could be simply chatting during battles.

As for the bonds, previous Pokemon games had a bond system with Pokemon and trainers, so how will this be different?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
@ EasyCure, you gave me congrats all the way back in March, lol.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »
I wouldn't read to much into it.  He is getting old. :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
It's not a redesign, though, in the sense that it has feature parity with the original model, and the only real difference is the size. Compare that to the various DS redesigns, which all offered new features or more significant improvements (except the DSi XL, which was to the DSi what the 3DS XL was to the 3DS, namely a different size option).

@tendoboy: um.. what he said ;) Thanks Insano'

I honestly don't remember that, I think I was still in semi-lurker status back then so it never stuck. The only person here I can remember has kids is Brandogg(?) because:

A. he has a baby in his avatar
B. his wife keeps spittin' em out! that poor woman..

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »

I honestly don't remember that, I think I was still in semi-lurker status back then so it never stuck. The only person here I can remember has kids is Brandogg(?) because:

adorable.
I feel forgotten :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »

adorable.

if it makes you feel any better Ceric, you're still just "someone else" - plus Brandoggs kids aren't that special. Everyone knows your first kid is special, and then every one after that is just meh. Why? Cuz Scrubs said so :D

Back on topic though: This new Pokemon looks cute, it's like the cartoon series but playable. I'll give it a go even if I'm not a serious pokemon 'master' like some of you are who stuck with the series so long. I can barely remember half the pokemon in the original games, don't know ANYTHING about the new types or breeding etc. I'll get it just because :)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »

adorable.

if it makes you feel any better Ceric, you're still just "someone else"
Not really because I've been a prolific and active poster for many years.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »

You're certainly not the only one with that initial reaction. The Pokemens (that's what they're called, right?) themselves and the battle animations look pretty good, but comparatively the trainer/overworld stuff kind of looks bad. When I say comparatively, I mean when compared to the battle animations but also when compared to what the 3DS is capable of more generally.

Who knows though? This is only the first trailer, I might grow to appreciate it more.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »

You're certainly not the only one with that initial reaction. The Pokemens (that's what they're called, right?) themselves and the battle animations look pretty good, but comparatively the trainer/overworld stuff kind of looks bad. When I say comparatively, I mean when compared to the battle animations but also when compared to what the 3DS is capable of more generally.

Why knows though? This is only the first trailer, I might grow to appreciate it more.
I think part of this needs to be a little put into perspective.  At the end of the day the Pokemon and Battle Animations we will see much longer then the Overworld items so, it makes sense they focus on them.  We'll probably see at least 3 iterations that use these same Pokemon Models and Animations if not a console game as well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:35:19 AM by Ceric »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »
@Ceric

Totally. If they had to prioritise one over the other, I'd definitely want them to put more effort into the battle animations and really give the Pokemon some character, which they appear to have done.

However, there will always be that part of me that wants a more cohesive world. If you'll grant me leave to be fanciful for just a moment, I've always wanted Pokemon to make a radical break from tradition. What I would have liked to see from the series would have been a more zoomed in 3rd person perspective (think Monster Hunter), a world portrayed on an epic scale (think Zelda and Xenoblade), and battles which take place directly on the map as you encounter them rather than being separated into a distinct battle arena view.

Although, I guess at that point it wouldn't even qualify as a Pokemon game now would it? lol.

Regardless, I still think that X/Y has the potential to rejuvenate the formula enough for me to want to jump back in. It's the first time I've been excited about a Pokemon release since Yellow.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:31:23 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
@Ceric

Totally. If they had to prioritise one over the other, I'd definitely want them to put more effort into the battle animations and really give the Pokemon some character, which they appear to have done.

However, there will always be that part of me that wants a more cohesive world. If you'll grant me leave to be fanciful for just a moment, I've always wanted Pokemon to make a radical break from tradition. What I would have liked to see from the series would have been a more zoomed in 3rd person perspective (think Monster Hunter), a world portrayed on an epic scale (think Zelda and Xenoblade), and battles which take place directly on the map as you encounter them rather than being separated into a distinct battle arena view.

Although, I guess at that point it wouldn't even qualify as a Pokemon game now would it? lol.

Regardless, I still think that X/Y has the potential to rejuvenate the formula enough for me to want to jump back in. It's the first time I've been excited about a Pokemon release since Yellow.
I always hoped for a more hunting feel like in Pokemon Snappish and Monster Hunter as well.  Hopefully, battles will just happen where you stand just zoomed in a bit to free up GPU for the battle. 

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 11:44:23 AM »

I always hoped for a more hunting feel like in Pokemon Snappish and Monster Hunter as well.

Can you imagine if the series took a dark turn and trainers started carving and skinning wild Pokemon for their hides Monster Hunter style? That would be...awesome. Horrifying...but awesome.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

I always hoped for a more hunting feel like in Pokemon Snappish and Monster Hunter as well.

Can you imagine if the series took a dark turn and trainers started carving and skinning wild Pokemon for their hides Monster Hunter style? That would be...awesome. Horrifying...but awesome.
Yeah, but it would go against the vibe of the series plus these are 10 year olds.  Not to mention your main weapon is the Pokemon.