Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises with SPOILERS  (Read 54747 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises with SPOILERS
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »
I'd actually say that it is.  Bruce Wayne is a billionaire playboy who trashes fancy cars and sleeps through board meetings.  He's the epitome of the 1%... which is the whole point of his cover... he's just another rich white jerk, sitting in his fancy house doing nothing while the rest of us toil away.

So according to you all rich jerks are white? There are no rich black jerks at all?

What about the black guy from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? He was the richest and greediest dude in the game. Couldn't he be a Bruce Wayne?
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
Are we setting the new Batman movie with the Black Bruce Wayne in the year 21xx?

Because we're starting to get pretty far away from "Batman".
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
while i don't really care what color the actor is in a movie, I have to say that its a cheap exploitive move that Hollywood takes just to create buzz. That being said if the actor would be a better version of the character than it is kinda warranted. However, Its very hard to mess with icons like Batman or James Bond in this way. As far as different races for super heroes go, i just prefer they come up with new superheroes. There have been a couple: Spawn, Static Shock, Cage, Black Panther, Mantis. When I'm writing, I like to think of whether not to change the characters race or gender or what, and this could have an interesting change to the whole concept.

this was an interesting movie, mainly because I was writing something similar, but didn't know where to go with it.
Batman/Bruce Wayne's Plotline was great. That part was a kung fu movie. Hero gets into a fight with villain; gets ass kicked; then trains really hard; figures out that one thing he didn't know before hand; usually learns from some old man; which is key to winning; Then comes back beats the **** out of the villain. This is the plotline in: Drunken Tai Chi, Rocky III, and Karate Kid.

Banes plotline is interesting, because that was kinda the one I was writing for my movie, the only thing is I didn't know where to go with it. I wasn't writing for a superhro movie, though I had figured it m ight be a good plotline for Green Goblin and Spiderman, but I had been writing this movie about a terrorist group that takes over a city in America and then acts as despots. I had got the idea from watching the news and how the news is just set up to make you depressed and paranoid. I found it funny one of banes speeches was oddly similar to one I was writing, but of course that would come with the territory. Shredder on Ninja Turtles is kinda similar when he is telling the foot clan kids they get to party and ****. While at one hand promising them freedoms, while on another hand controlling them. Its an obvious thing to mention is that people will actually have some higher degree of freedom in a zone thats been held hostage. However, how is that different then what went on in Iraq? The obvious chaos and "liberation" would lead to rampant violence among the people.  As boring as life can be in the ordered world it prevents mass violence. The people were able to claim liberty during the French revolution, but how many people were guillotined? This is why Batman, who is to some degree representative of fascism is the hero in this type of story. Some of the things Batman and Gordon do are wrong. It just how you look at it, you can either have chaos or oder. Back to Joker vs Batman.

The Talia thing I totally expected. She had said things that would imply she grew up with Ra's Al Ghul. I'm always looking for foreshadowing. I didn't trust her one bit. She got the keys to the fusion reactor and control of Wayne enterprises way too easily. Also, the way she jumped on Wayne seemed way too spy movie. Seducing him in a way to gain his trust. Its not that I don't appreciate it, it just doesn't fool me.

Anne Hathaway was great as Selina Kyle. Although I have to say when they start fighting together its kinda weird because its very sudden. I also have to say this has a lot of "don't trust women angles", though Catwomen comes away in the end.

The ending was very Inception like. Alfred set it up, and I had expected something like that. Didn't think Batman had died, and this was mainly because he had learned to fear death in the pit. Harry Potter didn't die and neither was Bruce Wayne going to. Before the pit Wayne was all about sacrificing himself for the city, but after that he was about getting the job done and still living. That sort of drive gets things done. As the old man was saying without that sort of motivation it may be harder to accomplish tasks. He would have to retire though after this because his injuries would be just too great to continue. Though he looked far less emaciated then he was before this whole mess.

I liked the Escape from New York vibe.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that Bruce Wayne has no more cartilage in his knees. That sucks.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »
You know what FICTIONAL character needs to be white? Shaft.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
I liked the fact that Bruce Wayne had kidney scarring. I HAVE KIDNEY SCARRING. I AM BATMAN.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
I liked the fact that Bruce Wayne had kidney scarring. I HAVE KIDNEY SCARRING. I AM BATMAN.

How are you doing now health wise? I remember your kidney problems.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »
Well, my back was broken, but they hung me up with this rope and punched me in the spine. After a couple days I could stand again.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »
Did they put you in some kind of pit to prove yourself?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
They killed his parents while he watched, crying like a baby.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
I'd watch a 4 hour movie if all that happened was Morgan Freeman at a desk reading a book out loud.

I hear there's a movie like that, only instead of using video of him at the desk, they use some b-roll of penguins or some ****.

Edit: So, not only did I skip over a post that already referenced March of the Penguins, I skipped over a whole race conversation. I guess I'll call it a wash.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:49:25 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
I blame TJ as the reason as to why we can't have anything nice.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
In any event, I don't care.

I think the point of rebooting the franchise is to tie it in to the JL movie. That movie should be streamlined for the "mass audience" who wouldn't know Damian Wayne from Tim Drake. Non-Bruce Wayne Batman may make sense, but in 3+ years people will probably forget who's supposed to be Batman.

Then again, they don't have to tie in at all, I suppose. But having a non-Bruce Wayne Batman series next to a Bruce Wayne Batman in a JL series might confuse people.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:11:14 PM by nickmitch »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »
It just depends how stupid Hollywood thinks the general audience is.

The grand thing about the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that the individual movies allowed them to tell origin stories and establish the characters, while the group movie allowed for them to tell a 2-hour kick-ass story without having to spend the first hour telling us who everyone is.

In a perfect world - we all know who Batman and Superman are.  There's really no need to have them as individual movies before launching a kick-ass movie with Superman and Batman in it.  All we need is "Oh, hey, it's Superman.  And now, it's Batman.  And they're fighting.  Now they're friends and fighting someone else.  Good guys win.  Set up for the sequel... and, we're done."
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
I'm assuming that's a plot hole or something, because Bane clearly stated that the world thought that scientist was dead from the plane crash.

It's possible to know the identity of someone even if the body is burned to a crisp.
Sorry I'm so late with this (just saw the movie), but the engines were torn off of the plane before the body was dropped, so there is no need for there to be a fire to begin with. Hence, the blood will be enough evidence.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »
except for hulk who was played by another different actor, the reboot didn't recap on the origin story, it just went on with a new plot-line. And actually, that made it better.

I don't think they should bother re-telling Batmans story, but I could go for another superman reboot. Just because superman was made in the 70s and early 80s, and i don't give a **** about the Smallville TV series. I think Superman could use some smart writing.

Green Lantern-the first movie wasn't as bad as everyone says it was, it just wasn't great, and really all they need to do is move forward with the character. Maybe they shouldn't make a green Lantern 2, maybe they should just wait to put him back in the Justice League movie, I don't see any reason to reboot Green Lantern it would be goddamn redundant. Even better, it would be good to have Sinestro as the first villain of the first Justice league movie. If I were WB I would already have a new batman ready, I would have Paul Dini and/or Bruce Timm write it, and it would be about Mr. Freeze.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:50 AM »
I think DC wants to copy Marvel's success and I'm pretty sure Hollywood thinks the general audience is pretty stupid.

I think everyone knows who the Justice League is. Most people probably know the Avengers too. But having movies lead in to to builds hype. The Avengers grossed almost as much as two Iron Man movies. The Justice League wouldn't do as well without the mind share that Marvel generated with its movies.

I wouldn't say that a reboot has to have an origin story. But resetting the universe so that Bruce Wayne doesn't take an 8 year vacation wouldn't be a terrible thing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:36:33 AM by nickmitch »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2012, 01:43:41 AM »
I don't think anyone but hardcore comic fans would have any idea who Damian Wayne is. He wasn't truely introduced until 2006, and only 2 non-comic appearances: 1 episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold and as one of the dozens of characters in the just released game LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (and that is only as a pre-order bonus pack at Amazon and GameStop). So he would be too obscure.

As for a Marvel-style tie-in to the planned JL movie (last time one was announced, it got canceled), DC already said they have no plans to do individual tie-in movies. So the JL movie would have its own continuity and not be connected to the next Superman movie or any future Batman movie.

The Avengers did need the tie-in, they are not as well known to the general public as Justice League is. This is especially true for someone like Thor (who is pretty much a B-level super hero). And really who even knows about someone like Hawkeye?

Calling it a vacation is a stretch, Batman got his wish of a virtually crime free Gotham (even if it was temporary since it was based on a lie).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2012, 01:49:07 AM »
I hope they continue with the current story, with Robin taking over (though as Batman). When I was watching the movie and they kept saying how anyone could be Batman, I was thinking that Blake would assume the role while Batman was in prison (or if he died). When Batman went off with the bomb, I remember thinking about how Alfred quit, and it was pretty obvious that the restaurant scene was going to happen. Still, the movie was fucking fantastic, but I would have rather scene Batman kill Bane than Catwoman. It's also just amazing how good special effects have gotten. I can't remember any part of the Avengers or TDKR where I thought "that looks fake."

Also, while we're all talking about how racist TJ Spyke is...lets not forget that Michael Clark Duncan played Kingpin (and Wilson Fisk...who is "always white") in DareDevil.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »
I think continuing the Nolan-verse with JGL would make a great TV series. He could even be more detective like since he's a cop.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2012, 02:07:37 AM »
Yeah, they made the bad guy black...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2012, 02:08:57 AM »
Makes me wonder if TJ Spyke has a writing credit for DareDevil on IMDB...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2012, 02:18:40 AM »
I honestly don't think there was a white guy who could've played King Pin. They may be big and bald, but no one has a stature as intimidating as Michael Clark Duncan.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2012, 03:40:29 AM »
Michael Clark Duncan was one of few actors to be the right size for KingPin, but John Goodman(at the time)? IDK most armchair comic book movie fans think in terms of actors who already look like their counterparts. Think however, if you took Walt from Breaking bad as he is now and put him next to the dad from Malcom in the Middle, would you ever think they could be the same person?

or maybe the king pin just needs a character adjustment for the big screen? Maybe he is tall, does he have to be fat? OR you know Tom Hardy isn't that tall, but next to the bigger Christian bale he seemed dominating in size because of the way they set up the cameras.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »
Stephen Fry as Kingpin would have been hilarious.