Author Topic: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Days 2-3: Nintendo Main PC & 3DS PC  (Read 80877 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Day 2: Nintendo
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
There is another conference tomorrow. They said it's focused on 3DS, but maybe they will slip a few Wii U bombs in there.

But it was a little disapointing to not see anything we didnt already know was coming except for Nintendoland.
We didn't know about SiNG either. Just saying.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
Nintendo failed again this E3. I didn't see Microsoft or Sony's conferences yet, were they any better?

I think both were better, but in different ways.  Microsoft's was a total snore for the most part, but they did show off the increasingly awesome-looking Tomb Raider reboot and Black Ops 2 looks better than I expected.  There was simply more there for gamers like us. 

By contrast, sony's was far worse in the handheld department as Sony pretty much abandoned the Vita, but as far as console games go they easily blew Nintendo's lineup away.  Yeah, Pikmin 3 looks great, but Sony simply had more notable console titles.

Sony abandoned the Vita? So bringing exclusive PS Plus content and cross-platform games (PS All-Stars, for example) is abandoning the Vita?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 05, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »

Nintendo failed again this E3. I didn't see Microsoft or Sony's conferences yet, were they any better?

Microsoft's was somehow even worse, but Sony's was alright. Assuming you're into prolonged demos of a Heavy Rain sequel, God of War, and a grittier, more scripted Uncharted.

Those aren't meant sarcastically or condescendingly mind you, but as you probably gathered none of them are really my cup of tea.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09:08 PM »
While this was called a "Press Conference", this wasn't for the "Press" as we gaming nerds see it.  It's not for Kotaku, IGN, NWR or random nerd with a camcorder and YouTube channel.

This conference is for USA Today, New York Times, CNN, FOX and MSNBC.  This is for the folks who really want an overview of what's coming out so they can print a story about it.
If it's just for those news outlets, why were they broadcasting their press conference live on both SpikeTV and MTV2?  Both of those channels are targeted at teen to thirty something males (especially Spike).  Are those the same people that read the NYTimes or watch CNN and Fox News?  Why broadcast it to those demographics if they weren't targeting those people with this press conference?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »
The one thing that really surprised me is the free content that Sony is giving PS Plus users this week. We're getting a ton of FREE disc-based games on the PS Store, which is great publicity for Sony.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Sony abandoned the Vita? So bringing exclusive PS Plus content and cross-platform games (PS All-Stars, for example) is abandoning the Vita?

When your brand-new handheld is struggling to sell 6,000 units a week in Japan (and who knows how badly it's doing elsewhere) and is easily being out-sold by both its major competitor in the 3DS AND the handheld you're replacing in the PSP, you have to come to your E3 Press Conference prepared to blow people away with Vita software.  Instead, they did the following:

1.  Showed that a game (Sony Smash Bros.) people were already going to buy on PS3 is getting a Vita port with Cross-play.  Cool, but it's not a system-seller.

2.  Showed a logo for Call of Duty Vita and nothing else on the game.

3.  Showed a 20-30 second non-interactive cinematic trailer for Assassin's Creed 3 Vita.

4.  Announced that they were finally going to fulfill their 4 month-old promise of PS1 support on Vita.

And yeah, that's just about it.  They didn't mention that they had a big release coming next week in the form of Gravity Rush, let alone demo it.  They didn't demo Sly 4, a game that had just been announced for Vita and was completely ignored in general at that press conference despite it being a major PS3 release.  They didn't announce any new Vita projects we didn't already know about.  They couldn't even be bothered to announce PS+ support and Cloud Saving for Vita (since you can't manage your saves on Vita, causing you to delete them whenever you delete their corresponding game data).  They didn't give people a reason to buy a Vita.  Hell, they didn't even give people who already had Vitas a reason to keep them.

So yeah, I say that Sony gave the impression that they'd abandoned the Vita.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:22:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »

I think both were better, but in different ways.  Microsoft's was a total snore for the most part, but they did show off the increasingly awesome-looking Tomb Raider reboot and Black Ops 2 looks better than I expected.  There was simply more there for gamers like us. 

By contrast, sony's was far worse in the handheld department as Sony pretty much abandoned the Vita, but as far as console games go they easily blew Nintendo's lineup away.  Yeah, Pikmin 3 looks great, but Sony simply had more notable console titles.

When your competitor schedules an extra press conference just to talk about its handheld offerings, yeah it makes it look like you're not putting much muscle behind yours.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:18:28 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »
What kind of changes will Ninja Gaiden 3 go though when it releases on the Wii U? The older versions of the game were ridiculed for being subpar, so I assume that Team Ninja might have tried to improve the game for the Wii U just like Rocksteady did with Batman: Arkham City. I hope they make the game much more interesting then the PS360 version.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline fiendcode

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:14 PM »
What kind of changes will Ninja Gaiden 3 go though when it releases on the Wii U? The older versions of the game were ridiculed for being subpar, so I assume that Team Ninja might have tried to improve the game for the Wii U just like Rocksteady did with Batman: Arkham City. I hope they make the game much more interesting then the PS360 version.
Evidently more weapons, better AI and dismemberment/decapitations are back.  I hope it hold 60fps too.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »
Also, I would like to mention. If I'm not wrong Connectivity might be a big part of the 3DS show tomorrow. That would be a good time to show how 3DS connects to Nintendo Network, how Wii U connects, how Wii U and 3DS connect, etc, etc. However, if they dont show that **** in the next 3 days. Well don't expect much ever again.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
I just watched the New Super Mario Bros. U footage again. I will most likely buy it at some point. However, it's not a good enough reason to buy a Wii U at launch. I enjoyed the the 1st 2 NSMB games but I didn't love them then Nintendo released my favorite Mario game since Super Mario 64 (i.e. 3D Land) and NSMBU just feels like a step back, even with the mildly less lifeless art style. On top of that, 3rd party support is better but still no where near where it needs to be. Maybe all of this will change as the release date draws closer. I have the money to buy one, but I'm at a point in my life where I can hold off and wait.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »
When are we going to see the major third party titles announced for the Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2012, 11:44:54 PM »
Despite the lackluster conference, I'm getting the Wii U on launch day.

NSMBU, Wii Fit U, and Pikmin 3 are the games I really want. NintendoLand will probably make a nice pack-in game.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2012, 11:46:17 PM »
The Wii's Nintendo Channel has a bunch of extra E3 videos, including the post-conference video with Iwata. But the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct video, and the actual E3 conference aren't up.

The 3DS eShop has very few E3 videos, but it does have the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct video.

Why can't both services (eShop, Nintendo Channel) have the same videos? Is Nintendo that slow with their updates?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:49:00 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2012, 11:48:46 PM »
just watch it on gamespot.com, the june 3rd video is probably under nintendo direct and not e3.nintendo.com

edit:
its on the the top of the page on the right, not with the smaller videos. to the right of the big wii u gamepad and console pic
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:14:57 AM by ThePerm »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »
Double posted. We need a "delete post" button!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:54:11 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
just watch it on gamespot.com, the june 3rd video is probably under nintendo direct and not e3.nintendo.com

edit:
its on the the top of the page on the right, not with the smaller videos.

No no no, I'm talking about the videos that are on the Wii's "Nintendo Channel" app and the 3DS eShop.

The June 3rd Nintendo Direct video is on the eShop, but not on the Wii's Nintendo Channel.

The post-conference Iwata video is on the Wii's Nintendo Channel, but not on the eShop.

And neither service has the actual E3 conference up.

Kind of confusing, but whatever.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:55:39 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
oh, well thats what pcs are for. And Wii U when they fix internet browsing for Nintendo consoles

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 06, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
Okay.

So pretty much all day I've been conflicted, going on-and-off about trying to get a Wii U at launch, swearing off of Nintendo games for good and crying and bitching and moaning. Now that I've calmed down a bit, I am ready to voice my opinions.

Nintendo. You don't start off strong and end weak. You start off weak and end strong. You missed the ball on what your fans wanted to see, which was a solid lineup of games. A demo of Scribblenauts, ZombiU, and/or P-100 could have been much better usage of time than the end of this conference. Dwindling off into SiNG, Wii Fit U, and that friggin' LUIGI'S MANSION hand-holding Nintendoland bullshit was not an example of good time management. Hell, you could have even brought Ubisoft onstage to show off Rayman Legends, if you wanted a better example of asymmetrical gaming. You barely touched on this in any of your demos, which frankly surprises me, because it's what you've been pushing for so damn long.

That being said, the conference was not without impressive content. Pikmin 3 of delivered, fortunately, and I enjoyed a look at it. LEGO Ctiy: Undercover was actually the best game there, showing wonderful potential in both the platforming elements, it's GTA concept, and the traditional LEGO humor. Scribblenauts could have used a better look, but sweet jebas, I'm excited for it. But showing ports of old games is not a good way to show the hardcore that you've got them back- it shows that you're making the same **** available on your console. ZombiU could have desperately used a demo because the demo shown AFTER the conference was actually AMAZING, and showed how the game is unique and how it utilizes the Wii U gamepad in a convincing manner. It's a hardcore game with an ingenious take on a somewhat stale genre.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend I know what's better for Nintendo, but I think there was a bit of poor decision making in the crafting of this conference, and I don't think I would get a lot of backlash for saying it. However, something that has not been covered, and probably won't be, is the eShop- what games we'll be seeing on it and what caliber they'll be. Trine 2 is probably going to be on it, but I would like to see more- a rumored eShop game list came out not long ago and I would have liked to see some more information regarding the subject. It's kind of an important part of having an online console, I believe, and though the eShop for 3DS was never shown in full at any E3, it still would have been a nice gesture to attempt to sway me.

As for the launch, it's at least a bit more solid than the 3DS. I'm okay with it being slow and having only a few titles that really draw me in, because it will give me more time to appreciate them- but I really wish we could have seen some stuff that's coming out afterwards. I mean, the Wii U better not fizzle out post-holiday, or it's going to have an even harder time than the 3DS did. So SHOW ME that it won't, Nintendo.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:53 AM »
@RichIGN

Nintendo says it is trying to make games for people who really love games. Not just casual gamers. #E3NVC
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2012, 01:18:55 AM »
@RichIGN

Nintendo says it is trying to make games for people who really love games. Not just casual gamers. #E3NVC

They say it, but will they show it?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
@RichIGN

Yeah, okay. Prove it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2012, 01:49:39 AM »
Don't know if I said it earlier, but Lego City actually looks pretty great.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »
I really want Nintendo to make a system where I don't have to go to another console for multi-platform titles, dammit. I WANT Crysis and Call of Duty and Medal of Honor and everything else and to play them online. I want to give Nintendo my business, but they don't act like they want it.

Then Microsoft and Sony are jumping around waving their arms begging me to stay with them. Iwata is too busy starring at bananas.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »
Call of Duty

The only COD game that never came to the Wii within its lifetime was MW2. Every other game from COD3 to the most recent MW3 has come to the Wii, so COD is one franchise we Nintendo fans shouldn't feel too neglected on.

However, with that being said it is disappointing there hasn't yet been any COD game for the 3DS...
is your sanity...