Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 414285 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2012, 01:42:01 AM »
Stuff like that is always great to read. I don't know what it means I just know its good.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Wii U capable of jaw dropping visuals.
« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2012, 02:37:18 AM »

I lost the part about jaw dropping visuals and I messed up the quote boxes. Hopefully it doesn't bleed into everything else. Night!
]http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/03/shinen-mega-interview-harnessing-the-wii-u-power/

When testing our first code on Wii U we were amazed how much we could throw at it without any slowdowns, at that time we even had zero optimizations. The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U. They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed. For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to 6x of the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores.

When asked about slower CPU.

We didn’t have such problems. The CPU and GPU are a good match. As said before, today’s hardware has bottlenecks with memory throughput when you don’t care about your coding style and data layout. This is true for any hardware and can’t be only cured by throwing more megahertz and cores on it. Fortunately Nintendo made very wise choices for cache layout, ram latency and ram size to work against these pitfalls. Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU.

Who feels just a little better about Wii U? It's a long interview, read it!

Sorry double post.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:42:01 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »
Assassins Creed 3 not delayed for Wii U.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]https://mobile.twitter.com/jimreilly/status/265626249924329472[/font]

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
Iwata Ask: Miiverse

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-asks/Iwata-Asks-Wii-U-Miiverse-The-Producers/Miiverse-The-Producers/1-Empathy-Network-/1-Empathy-Network--662853.html

NOTE: It say's Nintendo Network ID is a NUMBER, but reports from random people are saying it does not call it a number on the Japanese site. 

All of this is very exciting, and Ian can even turn all spoilers off. Still I'm not sure I understand everything.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:24:31 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
This is the most interesting of all the Iwata Asks. They make it sound so simple but they are talking about some very deep stuff. I am happy to hear they have taken in to consideration the asshole/annonimity thing.

This is all very experimental stuff and as they said, the real development begins after launch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:06 AM »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:52 AM »
God this sounds great!!!!!!!!!

RomanceDawn

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
That little bit at the end about Mehrabian's Rule was particularly interesting.

27. Mehrabian's Rule: A rule proposed in 1971 by American psychologist Albert Mehrabian. According to his research, the influence that someone's behavior has on another person is composed at follows: linguistic information such as speech content (7%), auditory information such as the tone and speed of speech (38%) and visual information such as how someone looks (55%).

Its like they are trying to enforce people to share only positive experiences thereby making Miiverse something that you can look to in a positive light when everyone else shares their positive experiences with you. Like some kind of domino effect.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:22:56 AM by MrPhishfood »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
I think this is the beginning of something big. This is what every other hardware maker will copy once this takes off. I can feel it in my good toe.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
I think this is the beginning of something big. This is what every other hardware maker will copy once this takes off. I can feel it in my good toe.

You mean the one that was nibbled off by a fish?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »

You mean the one that was nibbled off by a fish?

Nah, it's the one that's got the glow ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 09, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Nintendo of America should have posted all this info on their site, because the Wii U launches in 1 week.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »
Nintendo of America should have posted all this info on their site, because the Wii U launches in 1 week.
*shush* NoA Marketing may hear you.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 09, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
Why do folks care? You have the info. Why do you care about the source?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 09, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
I like it to be in English.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 09, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »
I like it to be in English.
:) :-[
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
No system wide achievements for Wii U.
« Reply #418 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
No achievements, accomplishments or trophies.

I]http://gematsu.com/2012/11/wii-u-will-not-have-system-wide-achievements

These guys just found out from a Neogaf post.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »
In a way I can't really see Miiverse not ultimately doing a version of Achievements. 

"Caterkiller defeated this Challenge with Ridley in 5 Minutes" "Corbran defeated this challenge w/ Fox only, No Item, Final Destination"

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »
In a way I can't really see Miiverse not ultimately doing a version of Achievements. 

"Caterkiller defeated this Challenge with Ridley in 5 Minutes" "Corbran defeated this challenge w/ Fox only, No Item, Final Destination"

You know your right. The way things were set up in those quick Mario U vids and screens, I think the miiverse way will certainly satisfy me.

Hopefully your Ridley vision will come to be as well.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
You know why you don't need any of these silly achievements/accomplishments/trophies? You are given the ability to do so yourself if you wish by leaving a message to your "friends" saying what you did. Basically you can create your own achievements/accomplishments/trophies. Except you won't get any "prize" other than the fellow recognition of your deeds should you decide to post them. You can also lie LOL.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 12, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »
You know why you don't need any of these silly achievements/accomplishments/trophies? You are given the ability to do so yourself if you wish by leaving a message to your "friends" saying what you did. Basically you can create your own achievements/accomplishments/trophies. Except you won't get any "prize" other than the fellow recognition of your deeds should you decide to post them. You can also lie LOL.
That is what diminish thems plus the shared experience aspect.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
Achievements take some of the fun out of the game for me really. Games can some times feel like a chore if I want to get full completion, especially if its a really boring and repetitive task. Not all developers make good use of them either and the points/trophies offered varies greatly regardless of difficulty in obtaining it.

Its something best left to the player in my opinion. The whole Miiverse + screenshots seems like a much better way to encourage player made achievements/challenges.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 12, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
Eh lack of ahcivements is bullshit. Its not like nintendo would have to do anything extra as devs are making them for other systems anyway. Miiverse seems like it would be made for achievments.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70