Author Topic: Suggestions on what Nintendo should do to become #1 next generation  (Read 11720 times)

Offline Vanilla Thunder

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Suggestions on what Nintendo should do to become #1 next generation
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2003, 04:01:18 PM »
Aggressive advertising is a must.  It doesn't even take much more spending or effort on Nintendo's part, they just need to do it much BETTER.  For instance, most of Nintendo's TV commercials consist of long, obscure live-action footage, and then just a brief, blink-and-you-miss-it clip of actual game footage at the end.  That's not going to sell anything.  They have to make commercials like the one for Halo, where the full length of the ad demonstrates the cool things about the game that make it fun, with a narrator hyping it up all throughout.  Now THAT works well.  Common sense dictates that actually seeing X-wings weave in and out of a nebula frying TIEs in brilliant explosions of light will appeal to more people then I guy wheeling around in his office cubicle (as the case with Rogue Leader).  It's just common sense.

Backwards comptability is a must.  Most of my friends purchased a PS2 with the intent of playing all those old Final Fantasy games they missed, and I see no reason why the new Nintendo system shouldn't appeal to more with a huge library of great games right out the gate.  It'd be well worth the time and effort to implement this feature, especially considering that the competition will no doubt have it.

Wireless controllers is also a must.  The only people who wouldn't agree are those that still use corded controllers.  For me, there's no going back after going wireless.  Perhaps longer cords would suffice, but nothing beats wireless, especially when you're playing with a bunch of friends.

Nintendo needs to have TWO killer apps right at launch, one being a phenomenal single player game (preferably Mario) and the other being an insanely fun multiplayer game (like Super Smash Bros., which packs TONS of selling power).  They should round out the arsenal with a bunch of high quality, small-time first-and-second party projects, and then a good amount of third party titles, with as many exclusives as they can garner and as many of the multi-platform ones too.  The system itself should come with a playable demo disk highlighting some upcoming killer apps and other games.    

Nintendo should really listen to the fans regarding its games.  Appeal to everybody by throwing in nostalgic touches for the hardcore fans (like the Tanooki Suit and the Koopa Kids in a new Mario title), while appealing to the mainstream crowd with very rich, pleasing graphics and music.  It's all about enrichening the franchises so as to strengthen the fanbase.  It's worked for Nintendo in the past, they should just kick it into overdrive next generation.

And the system should probably be a solid silver, black... or white.  Personally, a mostly white system with black lining would look really tight.  Either way it should be small and sleek.  DVD playback would be nice, and easy to implement, since DVD technology will be relatively inexpensive by that point.  It'd still be worth it, too, since many people find more value in combining two different forms of entertainment into one.  In Japanese culture, it's a must, since home space is so essential for many.

Anyways, just some thoughts.
Craziest Nintendo Character Ever
Ludicolo, the giant, furry, Mexican duckbilled pineapple man with a lily pad sombrero!  Yet another reason to love Pokemon!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2003, 04:38:59 PM »
i dont think there will be a big problem with making the graphics good on a next generation system.  Were finally reachign a point where we will get what we expect from games. I bet the next gen mario game will have crazy bump mapping, great lighting, high geometry models and levels, colorful textures., outstanding water, grass shading, fur shading, superb sound, glowing cell shaded lava, heat blur effects, etc...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2003, 04:46:16 PM »
Everyone is saying backwards compatibility is a must-have, but you do realise both the GameCube and Xbox sold well at launch without backwards compatability? Why is that? Because they had decent launch titles. The PS2 needed backwards compatibility as a selling point because it's library was pretty dismal at launch. The same will be true next generation. If you have enough appealing launch titles, people won't care too much about backwards compatibility.

So, if Nintendo ever gives us a Pokemon RPG on a console, it should be at their next console's launch. If they bundle it in with the console, it's basically a license to print money.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2003, 05:47:28 PM »
Ok, Tael, what about if Nintendo doesn't launch a Metroid game at launch, but they plan on it and announce it for one year from then.  A reason that person may buy a Gamecube 2 at launch is because of Metroid Prime sitting on the shelf that he can play on his Cube2.  Trust me, it is a good selling point.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2003, 06:49:26 PM »
Ah, but that's my point.  I think Nintendo should be working with third parties to create titles that are appealing to all audiences, and have them ready for launch.  So we need a FPS, a racing game, a fighting game, a RPG, etc.  That will sell the console more than backwards compatability, because a smart consumer who is interested in Metroid Prime would buy a GameCube really cheap (and probably get a copy of Metroid Prime free), and then wait the year till the next Metroid is released, and get the new console for cheaper (and maybe get the new Metroid bundled-in).

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Suggestions on what Nintendo should do to become #1 next generation
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2003, 06:59:54 PM »
since when were consumers smart? the great 'consumer' is one of the most fickle lack witted things ever.

have backwards compatability AND killer launch titles, win win but dont substitute killer launch titles for backwards compatabilty

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2003, 07:39:37 PM »
I dunno, my friend didn't buy his GameCube until he saw the Super Mario Sunshine Bundle for $AU199. Around the GameCube's launch though, he picked up a N64 with Perfect Dark for $AU50. He got both of those for less than what I paid for my GameCube alone.  

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2003, 07:55:05 PM »
well hes smart, doesn't mean the majority of teh world is though

i love my job money is no object!

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2003, 07:55:58 PM »
Yo it is definitly worh it to have backwards capability, but there would have to be some solution for people who want to play old games on Cube2 that need a gba....unless they want to make the same ports.

Anyways, if they launched with a full Pokemon Rpg/ online Rpg, they would top the charts so quickly. Also, launch it with a new SSMB. And have a bundle pack that would include a Cube 2 and two controllers. As I metioned earlier, the controllers must have a little LCD built in or an LCD add-on.  
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline RedTide

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2003, 08:14:08 PM »
Simple. Make sure that EA is the first third party with a dev kit, then drive x amount of dump trucks filled with cash to their offices so that they throw the majority of their time into creating a jaw-dropping version of Madden that makes the other next gen consoles look like crap. Madden more or less is the bread and butter of the "casual" gamer. Make something pretty, advertise it and theyll be buying it in bulk.
Life could slip away in absent minded numbness
I'm only sayin this 'cuz I wish for the best
When you always stay in self-incarceration
I thinks it's such a shame

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2003, 08:24:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Vanilla Thunder
Aggressive advertising is a must.  It doesn't even take much more spending or effort on Nintendo's part, they just need to do it much BETTER.  For instance, most of Nintendo's TV commercials consist of long, obscure live-action footage, and then just a brief, blink-and-you-miss-it clip of actual game footage at the end.  That's not going to sell anything.  They have to make commercials like the one for Halo, where the full length of the ad demonstrates the cool things about the game that make it fun, with a narrator hyping it up all throughout.  Now THAT works well.  Common sense dictates that actually seeing X-wings weave in and out of a nebula frying TIEs in brilliant explosions of light will appeal to more people then I guy wheeling around in his office cubicle (as the case with Rogue Leader).  It's just common sense.

Backwards comptability is a must.  Most of my friends purchased a PS2 with the intent of playing all those old Final Fantasy games they missed, and I see no reason why the new Nintendo system shouldn't appeal to more with a huge library of great games right out the gate.  It'd be well worth the time and effort to implement this feature, especially considering that the competition will no doubt have it.

Wireless controllers is also a must.  The only people who wouldn't agree are those that still use corded controllers.  For me, there's no going back after going wireless.  Perhaps longer cords would suffice, but nothing beats wireless, especially when you're playing with a bunch of friends.

Nintendo needs to have TWO killer apps right at launch, one being a phenomenal single player game (preferably Mario) and the other being an insanely fun multiplayer game (like Super Smash Bros., which packs TONS of selling power).  They should round out the arsenal with a bunch of high quality, small-time first-and-second party projects, and then a good amount of third party titles, with as many exclusives as they can garner and as many of the multi-platform ones too.  The system itself should come with a playable demo disk highlighting some upcoming killer apps and other games.    

Nintendo should really listen to the fans regarding its games.  Appeal to everybody by throwing in nostalgic touches for the hardcore fans (like the Tanooki Suit and the Koopa Kids in a new Mario title), while appealing to the mainstream crowd with very rich, pleasing graphics and music.  It's all about enrichening the franchises so as to strengthen the fanbase.  It's worked for Nintendo in the past, they should just kick it into overdrive next generation.

And the system should probably be a solid silver, black... or white.  Personally, a mostly white system with black lining would look really tight.  Either way it should be small and sleek.  DVD playback would be nice, and easy to implement, since DVD technology will be relatively inexpensive by that point.  It'd still be worth it, too, since many people find more value in combining two different forms of entertainment into one.  In Japanese culture, it's a must, since home space is so essential for many.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

*claps* Well said! Now someone get this guy a job at Nintendo.

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2003, 08:25:19 PM »
RedTide - How about something with more universal appeal? Madden is by no means the bread and butter of the casual gamer in Japan, Europe, and the rest of the world.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2003, 08:37:37 PM »
The thing about being backwards compatible is that many former Xbox or PS2 boys might pick up a GCN2, and while they are at it there's a high chance of them picking up those GCN classics they missed such as Melee and Prime.

And heck, I'll be playing Melee regularly until the next Smash Bros. comes out, and that alone makes backward compatibility a must. Not to mention that Nintendo could say...give away a free copy of Wind Waker for those who preordered the next Zelda game on the next system?

Offline RedTide

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »
Tael- Should have said that I was thinking about the US. When it gets down to it, GTA seems to be the big thing for the casual gamer these days but i chose to use Madden since its gauranteed to be on the next nintenod console, so i dont have to get into any far-fetched "what if" scenarios. Madden football sells well over a million copies each and every year, occasionally when theres little difference besides roster updates. Its one of the few franchises with a big following across all 3 consoles and has the best chance of "stealing" away casual gamers from either competitor
Life could slip away in absent minded numbness
I'm only sayin this 'cuz I wish for the best
When you always stay in self-incarceration
I thinks it's such a shame

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2003, 01:36:32 AM »
Nintendo need to keep to the core of entertainment - gaming .
A mature stance to their next console, backwards compatibility, and a broad, both original and franchise mix of games for all ages (Both first through third party developed) at worldwide launch, followed by yet more development of more games on this same mix of quality, with a launch date *just* before Microsoft and Sony have theirs out (Two, three months?), and Nintendo can take first place.

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2003, 08:42:18 AM »
 It  sure is surprising to see anyone  saying  that backwards compatibility is not worth the time or effort.

Having  a library of 300 + games as well as a built in GBA Player adding another 300+ games  plus whatever titles  that are ready at launch  gives a definite  advantage  over a system that only has a few good launch titles. An extra 20 bux  to the price is something I think most  would have no  problem shelling out to have all those extra games at there finger tips. Especially for those who did not own a cube not to mention those who did and  don't want to  clutter up their entertainment  area with multiple consoles.

It's pretty much a must have, I know if playstaton 3 and X-box 2  do implement that feature I  will have to  pick up those systems  so I can have such  huge game library  at my disposal.

it's more then worth the time cost and effort to have this. It is one of the primary reasons playstation 2 had so much hype and did so well.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2003, 10:28:59 AM »

Originally posted by: StRaNgE
It  sure is surprising to see anyone  saying  that backwards compatibility is not worth the time or effort.

Having  a library of 300 + games as well as a built in GBA Player adding another 300+ games

if they went with a GB player, not just a GBA player that extends to about 1000-1500+ games

Offline Vanilla Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2003, 11:32:14 AM »
Yes, Game Boy Player technology is VERY simple (it's been around since the N64 days), and rather cheap to implement.  Putting a small slot for regular and Advance carts right at the system's helm would be very effective.  Then, dual layer the disk player so that GC disks can click right in and be read, and full-size DVDs can fit in and be used as well (not simulataneously, of course).  Then, Nintendo should bill these features as huge selling points for the system.  The GB, throughout all of its installments, has accumulated thousands and thousands of titles.  The GC, by that point, will probably have a good three to four, maybe even five hundred games.  Combined, this new system would have a huge library of great games right out of the gate, appealing to the HUGE handheld crowd with a home center to play all of their favorite portables on, and to gamers of other systems with its access to all of the older GC along with all of the new.  And though MOST people will have a DVD player by then, people who value saving space and getting more for their money will find the inclusion of DVD playback very nice.  And no regional lockout.  For anything.    

I think Nintendo should use full-size DVDs for their games, or else the competition will have an advantage over them with MUCH larger disk capacity.  Seriously, having to spread Resident Evil over two GC disks when they both could have fit effortlessly on an X-Box disk with room to spare is pretty... pathetic.  My personal favorite game, Eternal Darkness, also was victimized by limited disk space, sacrificing the quality of its otherwise awesome cinema scenes so that it could make it all onto one disk.  Sure, it may be a foolproof against piracy, but I'm sure there's other ways around the problem without slicing so much into disk capacity.  Nintendo needs to be a little more conservative with its action and meet the competition toe-to-toe.

Madden is important.  I hang out with a lot of "jocks" (I really don't like that word, it's stereotypical), and to them Madden IS bread and butter.  And, according to sales charts, it's the bread and butter of hundreds of millions of other gamers all across North America.  No matter how "universally" popular Madden may be worldwide, delivering the top version of the game on Nintendo's next system and billing it as the best will help to establish a strong userbase for the console her in the states, something that pays off in the long run.  Also, Madden is MUCH more plausible then GTA, and Nintendo already has good ties to EA.  

Another place where Nintendo needs to put its money is at retail chains.  Back when the consoles launched, it tore at my heart to go to the mall with some friends and see EB and FYE filled to the brim with X-Box advertisements, while a single GC kiosk, some obscure posters, and cardboard stand-up were tucked away in the back.  Most of the people browsing through the stores there had no idea that not just one new system was coming out, but TWO.  Nintendo's presence at the market was overshadowed by Microsoft's more aggressive stance on pushing the product into the lime light.  With the next system, they need to change all of that.  They need to gamble a bit and pay the big bucks to secure the advertising rights in major retail outlets, like Electronic Botique.  They need to do what they did with Resident Evil's launch; they need to secure several months of Nintendo-heavy advertising, so that Nintendo game posters and cardboard cut-outs and memorbolia adorn the windows at the front of the store, so that several koisks are available for play, so that the bags are imprinted with the Nintendo logo, and so that the employees answer the phone saying, "Greetings from EB, where we are celebrating Nintendo week!  How can I help you?"  They did it around the time Resident Evil launched, but that wasn't nearly soon enough.  They need to do it at LAUNCH.  And they need to do it ten times greater.  Nintendo needs to practically force their new system into the casual consumer's hands.  Nothing else will do the trick.

Imagine coupling that EB advertising strategy with a launch that came a full year AHEAD of the competition.  A huge, explosive, well-known launch, and then a full year to follow through with and build momentum, to build a head start.  They need this.  All it takes is a good single and multiplayer game packed full of Nintendo charm, a wide array of popular third-party titles, and the willingness to spend some money on increasing awareness.  Put this all a year in advance, and you'll have units selling like crazy.

Craziest Nintendo Character Ever
Ludicolo, the giant, furry, Mexican duckbilled pineapple man with a lily pad sombrero!  Yet another reason to love Pokemon!

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2003, 01:07:16 PM »
1. Advertisting, rather than relying on Comedy Central and Cartoon Network. Look into advertising during big TV shows. In fact, they should do that right now.
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2003, 04:17:39 PM »
Ya they really should be aggresive, I mean they have a bunch of money from the GBA why not use that profit to advertise strongly for Cube 2. They already screwed themselves over with this generation.

Damn it why don't they try to see it from our perspective.

One more thing, everyone who doesn't think having backwards and GBA compatibility is good thing, well look how big the library would be just at the start! Probably 10 times as more than any other system, and filled with so many quality titles. Anyone who has a GBA or Gamecube would immediately buy it, because who wouldn't want to play there favorite gba games on a nice bright tv as long as you'd like?

That's what Nintendo is trying to do right now, there trying to convert there GBA players to Gamecube players which is a smart but very hard move. Nintendo knows it would be rich like all hell if they got most of the people who own GBA (what's the count like 100 Million!?) to buy a gamecube also. They need to advertise though.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2003, 05:46:22 PM »
yeah i agree backwards compatability would be a nice thing. just think you sittin at home and you feel like playing metroid prime but you dont want to go through hassle of getting your gamecube plugged so you just pop prime into your gamecube2. but the thing is if the don't keep the same controller they might not be able to offer backwards compatablity. or could they? im not sure

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2003, 08:09:53 PM »
to get around the controller problem have the same plug for the new controller, so all you would need todo is plug in your GCN controller and wahey! instant soup!

err... instant controller problem fix

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2003, 07:14:46 AM »
become more mainstream, simple as that.
Make a product more suited to the masses. The masses want violent gory games, if you dont give them that, then they wont come.
Trying to get people to like your product is futile, the simpler approach is to make a product they like already.
Many here will hate this, but to become number 1, it is a must.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2003, 07:25:43 AM »
I dislike thecubedcanuck's complete strategy but I agree that Nintendo must become more mainstream.  Sadly, Nintendo's current image will probably last them til the end.  Advertising, as many have mentioned before, needs to be totally revised for the better.
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!