Author Topic: The Legend of Korra [Season 4 airs in Jan/Feb for Australia]  (Read 125531 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Korra [Season 4 airs in Jan/Feb for Australia]
« Reply #300 on: October 20, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
Well...at least we agree that the episode needed work!

I guess let's speculate. What the hell is Varrick doing with the spirit vine? Not sure what powers it has other than linking things together. I'm not sure why Kuriiva would want such a thing other than for spying.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:53:04 PM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #301 on: October 20, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
I have a theory...that the end of Avatar there will be no Avatar.  That Korra will release the spirit to help harmonize the world without the Avatar. 

So why could that happen?  Perhaps balance is met through all the Elements being together again...or balance is created by everyone being able to be the Avatar...or have access to all the Elements...after all Spirits gave the powers to man. 

Or my final guess which I think is most possible.  Bending leaves the world all together. 

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »
God damn finally **** is picking up

Still, the animation seems like such a downgrade from the last season and especially season one. I sure fucking hope that they're saving the majority of their animation budget for the finale because its been mostly ugly as all hell. I'd say its almost, if not worse, than the first half of season two.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »
Episode 6 SPOILERS AHEAD

*sigh*

Even lower downgrade in animation, predictable episode, extremely sub-par fight scene broken up between (admittedly good) Varrick scenes. Scenes that should have given me chills or made me feel any sort of emotion felt dry and emotion-less. If this is what we get for getting the season a month after the end of the previous one, I would have been glad waiting a year. All we're getting a rushed, safe, sub-par product that will probably end in a very ho-hum fashion.

And that is my fear with the finale of Korra. I'm not worried that it will suck, I'm worried that they will play it safe like they've done this whole season.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »
I think the problem is…last season felt like the climax of the story, and this story feels like epilogue.  I feel like I know exactly what story they are telling and where it is going. 

I watched the episode twice, and I have to disagree with you.  I loved the fight scene.  It is actually quite brutal in its efficiency.  I love that Korra is fighting a flashy old school style and Kovira is fighting more street style, ruthless aggressive smart.  And there are little moves that you could accidentally miss the first time watching. 

However, I will agree that this episode felt flat and predictable.  It felt like the typical show the hero lose to the big bad villain to show the villain is a real threat.  What is kinda annoying about this…is Korra has never really done this type of storytelling so blatantly before.  Even the air benders had no emotion or shock when Korra lost. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 07, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
Isn't the problem is that the story of Korra would be better positioned if the books were rearranged in different order.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 07, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
Isn't the problem is that the story of Korra would be better positioned if the books were rearranged in different order.

I disagree, but this isn't where Korra is failing. It is failing on a technical level, an emotional level, and (in my opinion) an action level. They have three more episodes to set up a finale (if they do a four-part finale) and it's been incredibly slow so far. If you compare where the show was at at this time last season, a bunch of **** was going on. This? Nada. I really hope that they've been saving up their budget and their creative juices for the finale, but I doubt it.

It's pretty bad when the show's biggest apologetic (me) is starting to dislike it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »
It has been slow.  But this is a very simple problem actually.  It is a one person dictator slowly taking over a country.  Actually the Avatar could easily stop this.  The question is should she? 

This is the point of this season…it is more an internal battle which the creators have been slowly building up to…which is also why I feel this season as a whole is the resolution not climax of the Korra story.  It is also why emotionally it feels weaker, because we know where this is heading. 

Korra is literally the last Avatar.  I think she sees herself no different than Kovira if she acts to make the world as she sees fit.  She has spent her entire life fighting, because she is "more special" than everyone else…but what true balance does a single person provide, except the need for another dictatorship.  The Avatar sets the rules.  Well, no more.  Korra is going to end the Avatar cycle.  And that is a very personal journey.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2014, 03:49:06 AM »
I just finished watching the latest episode and honestly...I'm not feeling this season. I agree with Spak that there's just something really flat about both the animation and the way this season's story is being told: there are no surprises or compelling drama. The story is playing out pretty much exactly as you think it would, and I'm already bored just waiting for the characters to get on with it. 

As for the animation, it's been a problem all season, but the Korra-Kuvira fight was missing a certain "snap" to the animation. I suspect the biggest casualty of Nickelodeon abandoning this series is that money and time got cut short in the editing room. Bruce Timm was notorious in the DC Animated Universe for taking sub-par animation from the overseas teams and re-timing it in the editing room (or sending it back for re-dos) because a punch or kick felt "weak." The animation feels really sluggish and limp, and not in a deliberate way for emphasis. I suspect that's something that would ordinarily have been fixed, but with the rest of the show being fast-tracked out the door there just isn't the time. It just makes the show boring to watch, so I hope both the writers and the storyboarders/animators really stepped up their game for the remaining episodes because this season's been pretty lame compared to Season 3.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:52:37 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2014, 04:46:58 AM »
Again, the show was never intended to be "cut" and sent to the internet to die. Take with it what you will, but the animation was going to look like this whether or not the move to online ever happened. My only hope is that they've been saving up their budget for a truly amazing looking finale.

I just wish they'd get the same budget they had in season one. I mean, look at this:

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2014, 08:38:47 AM »

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
I don't care if Mike & Bryan claim that their budgets got cut and they had to do a clip show episode, this season has been some of the worst **** I've seen in a long time. The way this season has gone, there has been no good episode since the premiere and season four's only worth will probably be the finale (if that). This has gone beyond the shitty characterization of Season 2: at least then **** was actually going on. This is just boring and stupid.

What a disappointing fucking run for what is going to be the last Avatar show for a long time.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
First two parts were stupid.

The last clip show with Varrick was brilliant and awesome with him going completely off rails like in MST3K episode.

They shat all over season 2, too!
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »
Haven't watched the latest episode but 'Korra Alone' is fantastic.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2014, 04:56:17 AM »
Well, this episode was a clip show.  It was a reminder of everything that happened and it was nice.  It reminded me of the clip show episode from the original series, right before the series finale, both episodes were light and cute but felt extremely out of place and pointless. 

The problem is that this story is basically really simple.  But it is the internal struggle that is supposed to building throughout this season and I like what they are doing.  I really do.  But, I hope that this episode means we are going into full on finale story next.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 24, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
I liked it but I wish it made more fun of itself like Varricks rendition.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2014, 03:39:47 AM »
Pretty damn good episode, probably the best along with the one right before the clip episode and Korra Alone. About time we got to see an actually decent villain (I'm looking at you, Kuvira) again out of their season.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2014, 04:44:38 AM »
Another solid episode, probably the first episode of the season that I have no gripes with. The fight between Su and Kuvira is probably one of my favorite fights in the series, second only to the Tenzin and Zaheer fight last season. Both of these fights have top-notch and tight choreography.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
Definitely a good episode. it matched the intensity of the previous season.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 12, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »
A pretty good episode ignoring the fucking awful fart joke. Also, despite the fact that I think ending the show with a giant mech is pretty stupid, I love the design of it and how it's piloted with metalbending.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
Budget cuts got too apparent with that walking tin can... And they brought so many characters back and they had like no lines (Bumi, Iroh had just two phrases).

I really hope they're not going to do giant spirit Korra all over again...

Neat Tahno kameo though.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »
I thought the budget cuts were far more obvious with the parallax still scenes with Wu and Pema.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »
Wow... they actually did it.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 19, 2014, 02:22:20 AM »
If you're alluding to what I think you're alluding to, then yeah...they did.

Niiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccceeeee.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 19, 2014, 02:32:55 AM »
Me in the final ending shot:

Also i really, REALLY liked party outfits of everyone in the end. Gorgeous fashion all around, everyone looked bitching.