Author Topic: PlayStation All Stars: Better than Super Smash Bros Brawl!  (Read 66329 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's SSB clone: Playstation All-Star Battle Royal
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
Legends, just to **** with everyone.

But, seriously, that would be awesome.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2012, 10:55:52 PM »
At least you didn't say ZX, Battle Network, or [vomits] Star Force... The only real Mega Man is the original "blue bomber", and his successor "X".

I'm actually glad that the Star Force series failed, cause I don't understand how that fits with the rest of the Mega Man series at all. I know it's technically a continuation of the Battle Network series, but that was just a reimagining (side-story?).

Mega Man is, and always will be, a robot. Not some cyberspace super hero (Battle Network, Star Force). And definitely not some human kid wearing Reploid armor (like the ZX series implies).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »
Classic...to me there is only one Mega Man Classic.  If you are going to represent Mega Man X do it with a costume change or another character....Zero perhaps. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
I always liked Mega Man Battle Network.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »
There's an open beta for a few more days. You don't need PSN+ or anything. I'm gonna play the hell out of this and write some impressions or something.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2012, 02:39:02 AM »
I've played for a few hours, enough for me to pretty much dominate every match because I am amazing at video games. :smug:

Things I like:

+ Amazingly good netplay. I've been playing people in the US and Europe from here in Japan and it works very well, and does a great job of negating and hiding lag. It feels very much like GGPO (rollbacks) and I wouldn't be too surprised if I found out if it was using its secret sauces.

+ Both controller and arcade stick work great.

+ Three attack buttons with different attacks for up, down, forward, and neutral mean characters have a LOT of moves each.

+ I think I like static knockback a lot (as opposed to Smash Bros variable knockback). I like Killzone guy a lot and I feel like this gives me a dependable zoning game. This might also mean dependable combo setups, too.

+ As I predicted, due to the scoring system, ganging up and kingmaker shenanigans just don't work. If I'm better than y'all motherfuckaz, y'aint stoppin' me.

+ Levels shift around a lot. It's cool.

+ No random bullshit. You can see the bullshit coming :faust:

Things I don't like:

- The bad kind of button config, where you have to scroll through the commands instead of just hitting the button you want. And you have to be an online match to even change your controls! I'm sure this will go away by the time the game is done, but lol.

- Why is item pickup its own button that I have to configure? You don't want people to pick them up accidentally or something? I'd honestly rather have down+PPP like Cody in SF4 or something instead of another button. Eight buttons is a lot to configure! Along these lines, you could just make throw attack+guard as well.

- No offline or practice in the beta. Oh well, it's a beta!

So overall, I like it a lot (even more than I thought I would) and I think it's already clearly going to be a better game than Brawl. Deal with it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2012, 02:50:56 AM »
Troll King rises!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2012, 04:20:16 AM »

die casual scum

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
I played a demo at Best Buy (that no one else had any interest in, apparently). The game is extremely frantic, more-so than Brawl. It might possibly be more intense than Melee. (shocker!)

I didn't like how you can't press "Up" to jump, you have to press the X button. The 3 attack buttons are a good addition, but I'm so used to the simple controls of Smash Bros. (A = normal attack, B = special attack).

Another downside is the terribly bland colors. I don't know if it's how the PlayStation TV was configured, but everything looked incredibly dull, like the colors were all washed out.

I'm still super-excited to finally try out this game at home once the PSN demo is released. I love Smash Bros, and I'm so glad that we have a major company making a game just like it. The more Smash Bros., the better!

Now where's the Microsoft version? ;)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
I didn't like how you can't press "Up" to jump, you have to press the X button. The 3 attack buttons are a good addition, but I'm so used to the simple controls of Smash Bros. (A = normal attack, B = special attack).
I had an issue with not using up at first, but then I realized I was being silly because I always disabled it in Smash so I could avoid accidental jumping with up tilts.

Another downside is the terribly bland colors. I don't know if it's how the PlayStation TV was configured, but everything looked incredibly dull, like the colors were all washed out.
It was the TV.

I'm still super-excited to finally try out this game at home once the PSN demo is released. I love Smash Bros, and I'm so glad that we have a major company making a game just like it. The more Smash Bros., the better!
Yo it's an open beta! Just go to the PlayStation store and search for it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »
Too bad it's just a temporary beta. I'm downloading the beta right now. I just wish/hope that Sony lets us update the beta version to the full demo once that's released on PSN.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »
I don't care what the Fighting Gayme Master says, the game sucks.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
I don't care what the Fighting Gayme Master says, the game sucks.

Yeah, same here, and I played this Beta several months ago. It sucked then and it still sucks now, especially because the camera is pulled back to almost New Pork City levels of obscurity, the selection of characters in the Beta is pitiful, and the game deliberately doesn't display a running tally of how the match is going.  It's hilarious to actually see people defending how no one knows how a match is going in PSASBR until it's over.

I really wanted this game to be good because there are characters in this game I'm fond of and I'm not opposed to someone other than Nintendo making this sort of game, but this game (at least as far as you can see in the Beta) just...isn't.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:40:25 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
I'm playing it right now.

And I kind of like it. As a Smash Bros. clone, it definitely nailed the frantic brawler style of gameplay. BUT... The controls are too complicated. You have 3 attack buttons, but you can't do any "smash" attacks (it doesn't matter if you tilt the stick or "smash" it, the attack is the same). Some of the moves are ripped directly from Smash Bros. Brawl (Radec from Killzone is a Snake clone, Fat Princess is a Jigglypuff clone, Jak is a Link clone).

The game is fun, but the presentation is horrible. The graphics look too bland, and the colors are all washed-out. The music sounds like something you'd hear from an up-and-coming DJ, it's the complete opposite of Brawl's majestic orchestrated soundtrack. This game clearly had very little effort put into its music.

Will the final game have customizable controls? Cause I hate how you have to press a button to jump, you can't tilt up on the stick or D-pad.

The gameplay is solid, a good start from Sony and SuperBot. Hopefully the sequel improves things even further.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »
Psssh. I don't see how a sequel can be done.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2012, 11:58:28 PM »
I don't feel like the size of levels/camera zoom out was an issue at all. But yeah, I won't defend not showing a running ranking, that's just weird. I was able to keep track in my head easily since the beta matches are only 3 minutes, but when the full version comes out, I think I'd prefer to run 5 minute matches with my pals, maybe...
But, the camera zooms out? Like in Smash Brothers but not as bad? Not enough characters in the beta? These aren't real problems.

(Radec from Killzone is a Snake clone, Fat Princess is a Jigglypuff clone, Jak is a Link clone).
Lol no, they play nothing alike. I think if Radec plays like anyone, it's... Cable from MVC2. That plasma grenade!

Will the final game have customizable controls? Cause I hate how you have to press a button to jump, you can't tilt up on the stick or D-pad.
It has customizable controls now, but the menu is annoyingly hidden. You have to hit start during a live match to get into it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 28, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »
The main theme music is terrible. I haven't heard such awful electronic music in a long time.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
The main theme music is terrible. I haven't heard such awful electronic music in a long time.
I like it. Deal with it :smug:

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »
But, the camera zooms out? Like in Smash Brothers but not as bad? Not enough characters in the beta? These aren't real problems.

B.S.  The camera is so zoomed out by default that I can't see what my character is actually doing half the time, which is especially a problem with a character like Sly where his cloaking ability already makes him hard to see if you're playing him right.  And with your characters so small, it's really easy to lose track of them in the chaos.  It's just extremely bad camera design, and if the final game keeps this camera this game WILL review and sell extremely poorly because of it.

As for only having 6 characters in the Beta, let me ask you a simple question: how is a Beta that only includes 6 characters out of several dozen of any use whatsoever for performance testing?  I played this Beta 2 months ago. It's a real Beta, not a demo disguised as one.  So how are they getting useful testing data when only a very small fraction of their characters are actually playable in the Beta?

Moreover, these characters are decent, but such a small selection makes the Beta even more boring than it already would be, because everyone has an extremely small pool of characters to pick from so you just see the same matches over and over again.  And it's not like those 6 characters were especially great to begin with, even if I do love Sly.

This game needs a real demo with a much broader array of characters, because as it is that demo pretty much determined that I'm not buying this game.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:31:37 AM by broodwars »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »
The game releases in 1 month, I'm pretty sure it's done.

Kratos will be my main. I already know most of his moves just from smashing the buttons. :)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 28, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »
That also bothered me; every game I played, everyone was Kratos.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 28, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »
That's because his moves are so easy to spam!  ;D

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:54 AM »
That's because his moves are so easy to spam!  ;D

Pfft. Whatever. In my time with the Beta, I owned everyone with Parappa pretty easily.  He can generate his own AP with his boombox move, his level 2 Special can clear an entire line of opponents, and his level 3 is an inescapable screen-clearer.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #248 on: October 28, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
B.S.  The camera is so zoomed out by default that I can't see what my character is actually doing half the time, which is especially a problem with a character like Sly where his cloaking ability already makes him hard to see if you're playing him right.  And with your characters so small, it's really easy to lose track of them in the chaos.  It's just extremely bad camera design, and if the final game keeps this camera this game WILL review and sell extremely poorly because of it.
Are you using a tiny CRT or something? The camera is fine. It zooms in when the characters are close, and zooms out when they're far away. It's exactly like Smash, and the biggest non-issue ever. Please look at this build and stop complaining about non-issues:

As for only having 6 characters in the Beta, let me ask you a simple question: how is a Beta that only includes 6 characters out of several dozen of any use whatsoever for performance testing?  I played this Beta 2 months ago. It's a real Beta, not a demo disguised as one.  So how are they getting useful testing data when only a very small fraction of their characters are actually playable in the Beta?
Since it's not just PS+ users and is only four person matches, it's probably for netcode or whatever. Sorry that the beta/demo is not the full game!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
Are you using a tiny CRT or something? The camera is fine. It zooms in when the characters are close, and zooms out when they're far away. It's exactly like Smash, and the biggest non-issue ever. Please look at this build and stop complaining about non-issues:

Hmm...interesting. The zooming camera is actually new to this version of the Beta. The original Beta didn't have it, so the camera was always zoomed-out. It sounds like they finally took our complaints on the Developer forums to heart, because most people were complaining about the camera back then.  Still, I'd be interested to see what the other stages look like now. In the original Beta, most matches I played ended up on either the Ratchet & Clank/God of War stage or the Little Big Planet/Buzz stage, and the camera non-zooming was a major problem there.