Author Topic: Projectors  (Read 5906 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Projectors
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »
Since I pretty much watch all my movies and tv shows on the computer I've been considering getting a projector to connect to it.

I don't particularly care if it has a high resolution or if it allows high framerates but I do care that the picture is clear and smooth and I've seen quite a few that looked pretty terrible.

Now I don't know much about projectors so I wondered if anyone here has some advice.  I've heard stories of people buying ones that seemed good but when they acutally projected it onto a larger surface it looked terrible.  Uncle Bob has both and good and bad projector stories posted. I don't want to spend too much money since I don't care all that much for the high end features but I would prefer one that wouldn't break or need a bulb replaced every month.
Any suggestions or advice when buying a projector?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Projectors
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
I recently bought this one. It works great. I was using it in a dorm room against a white wall, but the image still looked good. I would say with projectors, you're mostly gonna get what you pay for. There are cheap ones, but they're cheap for a reason. Though you can easily go overboard on a super high end model.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:04:16 AM »
I recently bought this one. It works great. I was using it in a dorm room against a white wall, but the image still looked good. I would say with projectors, you're mostly gonna get what you pay for. There are cheap ones, but they're cheap for a reason. Though you can easily go overboard on a super high end model.

From the range of prices I see it seems extremely easy to go overboard.  I wish everywhere wasn't pushing the top of line projectors all the time.  I would love to get one that is a little outdated for a cheaper price but don't think a used projector would be a very safe bet.  The lights inside these things alone cost like 80 bucks and I don't want one that is going to fry the bulbs quickly.
Yours looks good but its obviously not what I'm looking for since it's high end enough to support 3D glasses.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »
I wanted to go the same route, but I kept having trouble finding one. You can try new egg and see what they've got or watch woot and see if one comes up. But definitely don't buy used. The bulbs can actually cost almost as much as the projector at times.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 02:35:44 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

Relatedly, has anybody else noticed the price of projectors these days? I saw a 720p projector at my local Target, which seemed crazy enough on its own, that was over 100 USD. In a world of 4K TVs, I was shocked to see less-than-full HD projectors on a shelf. The 1080p models got up to $300! You'd think the prices would come down or the baseline resolutions would go up, but it looks like everything just got more expensive in the last 10 years.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 03:55:52 PM »
Honestly I haven't really been readily looking for projectors so I haven't seen many prices for them but yes in general for electronics things have gone up in price.  Really the only things I see going down in price are standards of electronics that have been around for the past ten years like Blu-Ray players and similar electronics.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.