Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 457871 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »
I like the Gamecube controller for Smash Bros. but I don't see that happening either. Eventually Nintendo has to abandon that controller because they're old and Nintendo doesn't even make them anymore. It was easy to make the Gamecube controller compatible with Brawl because the Wii has the controller ports and the console was only 1 generation removed. We're all just going to have to get used to playing Smash Bros. without the Gamecube controller.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
I don't think they're gonna bring back actual GC controller support. They cut it from the Wii models, they've weened us off it. If anything, we'll see a GC WiiMote attachment or even standalone controller.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
I use the classic controller pro, so I think I'm good.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »
The GC controller is amazing for Smash but it's time to move on. All the tourney Smashers except for me are all "B" words! The classic controller pro is epic and will work just fine. The button placement is more like N64 game, and if you played with N64 controller like I did you put your big ol hand on the outer prong.

Even for single player online, the tablet will be just fine. I am amazed I still have some really good GC controllers left, but seriously it is time to let it go.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:23 AM »
I never used the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo with Brawl and I can't see using gimmicks with the new one either.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:10 AM »
Yes, I agree seriously...we don't want Nintendo to be stuck with GC controllers for the game...plus I think the Classic Controller is a better controller than the Gamecube controller in general.

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
If that rumor from GoNintendo about Nintendo licensing characters from Square turns out to be Geno and Mallow for Smash Bros, revealed at E3, I will suffer the happiest heart attack possible for a human to experience.
3DS Friend Code:  2836-0087-6663
Nintendo Network ID: PadawanOfWindu

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
I think we all will Padawan, I think we all will.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
I believe the GC controller was the greatest controller of all time.  It fit perfectly in my hands and the weight and everything just felt right.  I'd be fine if Nintendo created a GC version of the classic controller pro.  I'd rather not have to give up playing smash with a gc controller though.  I will if forced, but I really don't want to do that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm sure Sakurai is begging someone over there to do it. It'd be nice to have a "new" controller accessory to go with the WiiU other than the uPad.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
Does anyone know where it was stated that Sakurai finalized the Brawl roster within the first month or 2 of development?

It might be stated in the May 2008 Nintendo Power, but I feel like I read it online in Iwata asks or something. But I seriously can not find it. Any help?

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
Does anyone know where it was stated that Sakurai finalized the Brawl roster within the first month or 2 of development?

It might be stated in the May 2008 Nintendo Power, but I feel like I read it online in Iwata asks or something. But I seriously can not find it. Any help?

It was at the 2008 GDC where Sakurai was a speaker that year.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/02/sakurai-talks-a/

Sakurai said that the character roster, except for Sonic The Hedgehog, was decided on in the planning process — before any development began on the game. "To tell the truth, the decision to include Sonic was not made until 2007," said Sakurai.

So in other words, about 99% of the next Smash Bros roster has already been decided by now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »
Luigi Dude thank you! I was trying to tell people even though Sakurai put a poll out before Brawls release, it meant almost nothing aside from Sonic being included.

RomanceDawn

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2012, 02:27:04 AM »
You know what this game needs?

Board the Platforms. Or functioning online. Either one's good.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2012, 02:31:58 AM »
Online for SSBB was fine for the first month or two, then it went downhill.

I want the ability to play all of the past stages and characters (I miss Hyrule Castle from the first game), whether it be on the disc or even DLC.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2012, 02:49:50 AM »
It was fine for the second month when there were enough people to play, but not too many people to clog the servers.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2012, 03:02:59 AM »
Yeah, I want the Melee style Adventure mode.  Don't give me a stupid story...just give me one level designed after each main characters world, and let it be a fun side scrolling beat'm up adventure. 

Give me Board the Platforms back, and the fun trophy collecting game from Melee. 

Home Run Derby was cool...but I would rather them flesh that out more...make it more interesting somehow.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2012, 04:53:33 AM »
Luigi Dude thank you! I was trying to tell people even though Sakurai put a poll out before Brawls release, it meant almost nothing aside from Sonic being included.

Actually the poll meant more then just Sonic getting in, that poll is going to help determine which characters end up getting into the next Smash Bros.  Sakurai did something similar with Melee on it's Japanese website showing the characters who were the most requested to get in and well, here were the results.

Bowser
Princess Peach
Wario
King Dedede
Ganon(dorf)
James Bond
Mewtwo
Banjo & Kazooie
Toad
Mew
Marth
Mr. Saturn
Pokemon Trainer
Gooey
Diddy Kong
Sukapon
Meta Knight
Lugia

Notice how characters in Blue appeared in Melee and characters in Red ended up being added to Brawl.  So in reality any polls Sakurai ask for are going to be more about seeing who'll get in the next Smash Bros then the current one.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

Actually the poll meant more then just Sonic getting in, that poll is going to help determine which characters end up getting into the next Smash Bros.  Sakurai did something similar with Melee on it's Japanese website showing the characters who were the most requested to get in and well, here were the results.

Bowser
Princess Peach
Wario
King Dedede
Ganon(dorf)
James Bond
Mewtwo
Banjo & Kazooie
Toad
Mew
Marth
Mr. Saturn
Pokemon Trainer
Gooey
Diddy Kong
Sukapon
Meta Knight
Lugia

Notice how characters in Blue appeared in Melee and characters in Red ended up being added to Brawl.  So in reality any polls Sakurai ask for are going to be more about seeing who'll get in the next Smash Bros then the current one.

It's so funny you said that. I was literally thinking the exact same thing. Hey do you have the Brawl poll, the one that included Ridley and Geno?

Going to make one final roster, at the very least people respond to this thread when there is a nice visual.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Mr. Saturn was in Melee as an item and both Pokemon appeared in Pokeballs, though I think Mew was in SSB.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
While I don't doubt that Sakurai used the polls to cull fan opinions, it seems superfluous. Additionally, using polls puts newer characters at a disadvantage though I'm sure the polls aren't the end all be all in terms of roster decisions.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
While I don't doubt that Sakurai used the polls to cull fan opinions, it seems superfluous. Additionally, using polls puts newer characters at a disadvantage though I'm sure the polls aren't the end all be all in terms of roster decisions.

No of course not. It's only a general guideline of what we may expect. Otherwise how in the world would we have gotten Game and Watch or Rob.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
I still don't get Rob.  But Sakurai is a little different.  I think that's what makes him such a good game maker.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:18:05 PM by Louieturkey »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »
I still don't get Rob.  But Sakurai is a little different.  I think that's what makes him such a good game maker.

ROB got in because Sakurai likes to put in one really old WTF type miscellaneous character in the games just like Game and Watch was in Melee.  For the next Smash Bros, my guess would be the Sheriff from Sheriff will be the character to represent this spot.  The original Arcade game came out in 1979 which is one year before the first Game and Watch device was even released.  Plus the Sheriff is also the first Nintendo game that involves the player controlling an actual on screen character, which would make the Sheriff Nintendo's oldest videogame character.  There's also the fact that a version of the game was included as an unlockable in the original Wario Ware back in 2003 so even though the original Arcade was Japan only, the rest of the world was exposed to it in some way in the last decade. 

So yeah, I'm betting right now that the old obscure character this time is going to be the Sheriff.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
Sheriff came to mind as well. But how will he deal with the guns? No guns at all and sticks of dynamite or something?

RomanceDawn