Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413577 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 - Officially Under Development (2014 release?)
« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »
Sony Patents: Game Pausing In-Game Commercials
 http://www.google.com/patents?id=lDb9AQAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=sony+entertainment&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mLS-T8TGIqqI6AHM__GqCg&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=sony%20entertainment&f=false

You have got to be kidding.

You better not pause my Action to sell me a Slim Jim, a Coke or a freaking Pizza.
That is a horrible idea.

Oh hell no. Sony will be dead to me if this happens. They can't patent that idea anyways because it's already being done with iOS and Android games. I'm so glad it hasn't spread to consoles or PC/Steam.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2012, 02:38:44 AM »
Honestly, with how rampant Microsoft is getting with ads on the Xbox 360's interface, they're probably not that far behind on implementing such a "feature" themselves.  And people actually pay them for that experience, which just baffles me.   :Q
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2012, 02:40:16 AM »
Sony Patents: Game Pausing In-Game Commercials
 http://www.google.com/patents?id=lDb9AQAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=sony+entertainment&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mLS-T8TGIqqI6AHM__GqCg&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=sony%20entertainment&f=false

You have got to be kidding.

You better not pause my Action to sell me a Slim Jim, a Coke or a freaking Pizza.
That is a horrible idea.

Oh hell no. Sony will be dead to me if this happens. They can't patent that idea anyways because it's already being done with iOS and Android games. I'm so glad it hasn't spread to consoles or PC/Steam.

Patents like this are more about implementation than a baseline idea like "ads during a game."
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2012, 02:52:39 AM »
Also, them patenting it doesn't mean they're actually going to do it. Sony (and Nintendo, and every other tech company) patents essentially every idea they come up with, regardless of their intent to use them. It's both a symptom and a cause of the patent system being as fucked up as it is.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2012, 02:58:30 AM »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2012, 06:06:11 AM »
Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal at E3 2012
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/OnLive-Gaikai-E30-2012-PlayStation-Vita,news-15353.html

If that's Sony's big reveal, then it's ruined now by this rumor.

And isn't Gakai pretty much vaporware at this point? All they currently offer is demos, while OnLive has full games available and a subscription service.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:08:09 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2012, 07:51:56 AM »
I really hope this is a patent designed to stop someone like say, Microsoft from implementing the same thing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
I really hope this is a patent designed to stop someone like say, Microsoft from implementing the same thing.

All it would do is stop Microsoft from doing it that exact same way, not from doing the basic idea.

I think the whole idea of cloud gaming is stupid. The big reason being that you lose access to games you "bought" if/when the service ends, and that you can't play them if your Internet goes down. If they make it an option (like if you buy a physical copy you get a free digital copy, the same way movies do it with stuff like UltraViolet), they might be acceptable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

All it would do is stop Microsoft from doing it that exact same way, not from doing the basic idea.

I think the whole idea of cloud gaming is stupid. The big reason being that you lose access to games you "bought" if/when the service ends, and that you can't play them if your Internet goes down. If they make it an option (like if you buy a physical copy you get a free digital copy, the same way movies do it with stuff like UltraViolet), they might be acceptable.

Well look at Netflix. You don't own any of the movies you are streaming with that service.

Steam is just as bad as one of those streaming services. Yes you actually "bought" the games and have them installed on your own computer, but you need to be logged into Steam at all times just to play them. If your internet goes down, you can't play anything.

The thing I like about the 3DS is you don't have to be online to play the games you downloaded. You can take the 3DS anywhere and play any game you have installed.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
The Netflix comparison isn't apples to apples. With Netflix, you pay for access to watch a library of movies, not for each movie individually. What Spike was talking about was paying per game and then having limited access to it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »
Steam is just as bad as one of those streaming services. Yes you actually "bought" the games and have them installed on your own computer, but you need to be logged into Steam at all times just to play them. If your internet goes down, you can't play anything.

Can't you use steam in the offline mode?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »

Can't you use steam in the offline mode?

You can't.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
You can if you know it's going to happen ahead of time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »
I like this idea.  Maybe OnLive and Steam get together where you buy once for both services and can stream the game to wherever OnLive streams (their set top box, PS3 if it happens, PC, tablets, etc.) and then get a Steam license to use on your Steam account.  Buy the game once, play it anywhere and even without an internet connection if you know how to do that.  I could buy into that idea.

In regards to OnLive on PS3, I like the idea.  It would open up a huge library of PC games onto the PS3 and have them at a better graphics setting than the PS3 is capable of internally.  It would depend on the price though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
I look at Netflix more as a movie rental service.  It replaces the old video stores.  But if I want to OWN a movie I go buy the DVD and I can watch that DVD forever as long as I have a working DVD player.  With cloud gaming it would likley be that that would be the way to own the game, so I never actually own it at all and one day the game I bought disappears for good.

I won't buy a cloud game.  I won't buy a system in which that is the way to play games.  I won't buy a game with pausing advertisements and I won't buy a system where that feature is built in.  I would just entertain myself with retro systems if no other option was available.  I do not willingly pay for advertisements.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 30, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
I do not willingly pay for advertisements.

In my opinion a game having advertisements is fine as long as the game is free. If instead of charging consumers $60 for a game, what if they gave the game away for free and then just made the money off the advertisements like how it works with TV? If it was like that I would be okay with it, but I agree with you that if you are paying for the game then you shouldn't have it interrupted with that ****. Game companies should make money one way or the other, but they shouldn't double dip and impose both ways on consumers.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
Honestly, it depends on the ads.

Take a Baseball game.  Real Advertising on the spots where you normally have advertising in a Baseball game would be fine by me.  Same for a Racing game, Billboards in a city, ads in a newspaper, Brand Products, etc.  Can actually help realism and environment if you don't need to explicitly set all that up.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
Honestly, it depends on the ads.

Take a Baseball game.  Real Advertising on the spots where you normally have advertising in a Baseball game would be fine by me.  Same for a Racing game, Billboards in a city, ads in a newspaper, Brand Products, etc.  Can actually help realism and environment if you don't need to explicitly set all that up.

I don't really care about product placement that makes sense.  I expect ads all over a baseball stadium.  I don't want to deal with a pause in the baseball game to deal with a commercial though.  Yes, on TV baseball games have that but they don't from a player's perspective.  A baseball player just runs on or off the field and away we go.  I would hate to have to sit through a commercial between innings.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 01, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
So the original rumor was that Sony was signing a deal to have a "popular" game streaming service be provided on the PS3.  Well now VG247 is stating that Sony may end up buying Gaikai outright.  Some are speculating that they will use this to stream PS1/2 games to people without having them have to be physically on the system so they can offer a bunch more games that way.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 01, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »
So the original rumor was that Sony was signing a deal to have a "popular" game streaming service be provided on the PS3.  Well now VG247 is stating that Sony may end up buying Gaikai outright.  Some are speculating that they will use this to stream PS1/2 games to people without having them have to be physically on the system so they can offer a bunch more games that way.

Why just limit it to PS1/2 games? Why not also include Vita and PS3 games (PSN and retail)?

EDIT: That article says nothing about Sony buying out Gaikai. It's just a deal between the 2 companies.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:23:18 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:39 PM »
There wasn't a thread for it because Sony has been very tight lipped. The code name for the project might be Orbis.

This latest piece of info just came in via Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/5951320/todays-best-discovery-sony-wants-to-patent-a-ps3-move-controller-that-gets-hot-or-cold?post=53465549

If this is something that ships with the PS4 I think it would be pretty cool. It would certainly help people who are visually impaired play games too. My only concern is the battery life on the thing, surely heating and cooling a controller would consume a lot of energy.

Personally I felt the PS3's Move had a lot of potential but lacked the software to show it off. It would be interesting if it comes as standard in the PS4 and all games would support it in some way.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:12:41 PM by MrPhishfood »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #471 on: October 12, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »
That controller seems a gimmick at most, and not in a good way. I wouldn't want to use it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
It's Sony taking the lead on a new type of controller, which we've never really seen before. It might be a flop (and most likely will be), but at least they're trying something new instead of copying their competitors' ideas.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 12, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/420008/adding-temperature-to-human-computer-interaction/
Interesting. I wouldn't be too quick to write it off as a lame gimmick just yet, it could be our imaginations haven't opened up to the possibilities it could yield. I remember the rumble pack for the old N64 and I thought "pssh, hows that going to help" but then when I put Starfox in there and I felt the ship taking off it really added to the experience.