Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 412584 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: PS4 - Officially Under Development (2014 release?)
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »
Looking at the bracket makes me wonder a few things. How did BoA beat Wal*Mart? How did Target even make the list? Is there really no sympathy for the Post Office? It's dying and still comes 6 days a week (for now).

If the post office is dying, then what will happen to FedEx, UPS, etc.? Packaged goods are still useful. How else will we get our online orders shipped to us?

And most companies still use paper-billing because it's safer than sending it to an email account. Email can get hacked, online accounts can be broken into, etc.

Actually more companies (especially larger ones) are automating the billing process. Anyway, what's hurting the post office is that almost no one sends letters anymore. That means fewer and fewer people are paying for postage stamps, yet the mail still comes 6 days a week. Other delivery companies will be fine (and are doing quite well), since they don't have to deal with that aspect.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
The post office is hurting because their only source of revenue are stamps. They don't charge for mail service (well, standard. You can pay more for express shipping) and they don't get funding from taxpayers.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Well, stamps is how they charge for mail service.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
PS4 aka "Orbis" on par with Current Gen...
« Reply #328 on: April 10, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »
This ought to be fun :D

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26662-orbis-specs-get-detailed
"Orbis" is the code name for PS4 for those that don't remember or didn't know.
Sources are now spilling the beans on exactly what we can expect from Orbis, or the PlayStation 4, when it is arrives. For the most part it is about what we already knew, with no real surprises; and it looks to be a very smart decision for AMD.

If the tech specs are correct, the latest info has the PS4 showing the unit being built from what amounts to off-the-self parts. The unit will use the AMD A8-3850 APU and  Radeon 7670 GPU. The AP-3850 APU is said to clock in at 2.9GHz and it will be a quad core chip, while the HD 7670 which will offer 1GB of RAM and while we have heard rumors of a projected clock speed, we would wait till we are closer to release before we predict what this will actually be.

As we told you previously, this selection does take back from the PC side, but there still a lot more questions than answers. Our contacts in the development community seem divided on what the box can actually deliver in terms of performance. According to one developer, “…we really don’t know how well the unit can perform, but so far it has been on par with the current generation.”

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:20 AM »
Well, the thing with the post office is...it has to run.  But, what you are getting for the cost just isn't worth it. 

Letters are cheaper, easier and faster to send by E-mail.  Why wait for your message to get to your family when the sending a letter is slower.  And with attachments you can even send large documents that could get damaged in the process, or picture files and such. 

Of course there will always be need to send larger packages or important documents that must be signed in ink...but the other deliver services seem to be capturing that market better.  By either sending the mail faster.  Providing better services for businesses, being cheaper...or having better hours.  Personally, I am of the opinion we should get rid of the governmental postal service and just let private companies handle it. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:38 AM »
The post office is hurting because their only source of revenue are stamps. They don't charge for mail service

That's covered by the stamps. Thats the whole entire point of buying stamps (unless you're a collector). If you think they don't charge for mail service just try mailing something without the appropriate postage and see how far that gets you.

Well, stamps is how they charge for mail service.

What he said.

That's like saying Airlines don't charge you to fly you around the world, and they only make money selling plane tickets. Well, no ****.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:57:49 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:05 AM »
You do realise that the USPS is run as a quasi private company, but mandated to deliver to every address no matter how far, 6 days a week on a nonprofit basis. This is something that a private company can't do. The delivery companies currently get away with their large coverage holes by offloading on the USPS. Cost of post would skyrocket as profit motive, duplicate infrastructure, coverage holes would mean they will only cover the "profitable" areas.

It has run completely independent of tax payers money since 1982 when it accepted it's last subsidy. It traces it's roots to the Constitution and the second congress. It would be unbelievably fool hardy to disassemble such an institution over nothing else but the ideology that "Private" can do better when it has been proven time and it again it is not true.

The USPS budget problem is largely artificial. No other government agency has been kneecapped with a shotgun.
This death hug was part of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, which was passed on a voice vote by a lame duck Republican Congress in 2006.  As I’ve reported, the mandate required the Postal Service, over 10 years, to pre-fund healthcare benefits for the next 75.  This unique burden costs USPS $5.5 billion a year. The new law also restricted the Postal Service’s ability to raise postage rates, or to provide “nonpostal services” that, in an e-diversion era, could be key to its future.  American Postal Workers Union president Cliff Guffey says the bill was designed “by those people who hate government … to destroy the Postal Service.  And that’s what they did.”

I am not American and I know more about your post office than you do without resorting to talking points. It took 5 minutes of research to demolish your "opinion".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2012, 03:06:48 AM »
I think the post office should just be privatized. You don't hear about UPS or Fed Ex struggling the way the USPS does. If one of the private carriers needs to make a change to keep themselves afloat they can just do it, and they don't need to wait on an act of congress for it to happen.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »
I think the post office should just be privatized. You don't hear about UPS or Fed Ex struggling the way the USPS does. If one of the private carriers needs to make a change to keep themselves afloat they can just do it, and they don't need to wait on an act of congress for it to happen.

Did you just not read oohhboy's post right above you, where he explained exactly why what you said there makes no sense?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
How about you don't stick your nose into our affairs? We're not telling NZ how to do things.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »
Yeah, it's not like our government is making New Zealand prosecute people because our entertainment industry wants them to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
LET'S GET BACK TO THE TOPIC
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »
Crimm has become the serious, solemn voice of reason. That's more than a little depressing.

So yeah, PS4. How many US dollars do you think we're talking here?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 10, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
Crimm has become the serious, solemn voice of reason. That's more than a little depressing.

So yeah, PS4. How many US dollars do you think we're talking here?

Well to keep up with the exchange rate change: 599 US Dollars converted to Yen at the launch of the PS3 is now 797 US Dollars worth of Yen...so

799 US DOLLARS
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
You're thinking too small here. The PS3 was the FUTURE! The PS4 is the future's FUTURE! Graphics will be 5D! Say hello to a 3rd mortgage on your home, maybe fourth. Seven hundred and ninety nine US dollars won't even be the half of it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »

Sources are now spilling the beans on exactly what we can expect from Orbis, or the PlayStation 4, when it is arrives. For the most part it is about what we already knew, with no real surprises; and it looks to be a very smart decision for AMD.

If the tech specs are correct, the latest info has the PS4 showing the unit being built from what amounts to off-the-self parts. The unit will use the AMD A8-3850 APU and  Radeon 7670 GPU. The AP-3850 APU is said to clock in at 2.9GHz and it will be a quad core chip, while the HD 7670 which will offer 1GB of RAM and while we have heard rumors of a projected clock speed, we would wait till we are closer to release before we predict what this will actually be.

As we told you previously, this selection does take back from the PC side, but there still a lot more questions than answers. Our contacts in the development community seem divided on what the box can actually deliver in terms of performance. According to one developer, “…we really don’t know how well the unit can perform, but so far it has been on par with the current generation.”

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
It sounds like the PS4 will be about on-par with the current generation of PCs.  Considering what they are capable of, I don't really see that being a problem.  Besides, it was unlikely that the next generation Playstation was going to be that far ahead of modern PCs anyway, especially after how much money Sony lost on the Cell.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want my PS4 to be a super-behemoth costing $600 at launch. I'm not even joking around. I use it for way more than games.

If Sony won't go big, then who will?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »

Microsoft.

I'm serious, because BnM posted a rumor about it supposed to be having a 16 core processor.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »
Actually, if Microsoft is doing to wait another year...and launch in 2014...I can see MS going big.  Why not?  MS is trying to capture the living room...they need a set top box that could be a game system, DVR, media player, and whatnot.  The next xbox could be Microsofts way of making a MS TV.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »

Microsoft.

I'm serious, because BnM posted a rumor about it supposed to be having a 16 core processor.

So if only MS goes big are developers really going to make games for this single system in the hopes it explodes like it never did before or are they going to focus their efforts on the other two consoles who have closer specs?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:17 PM »
That wouldn't matter because MS could support the games. It's like PC. Any graphic specs you throw at the PC, it will support it. So whoever goes high will be covered.

But, if your console costs to much, then you'll lose market share. Market share might not matter with today's parties but they do matter to you.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
That wouldn't matter because MS could support the games. It's like PC. Any graphic specs you throw at the PC, it will support it. So whoever goes high will be covered.

But, if your console costs to much, then you'll lose market share. Market share might not matter with today's parties but they do matter to you.
But who is going to buy an expensive console if the games aren't even made to use the power?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:27:39 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
The PS3 sold decently enough the first few years even though it was $600 and most games looked the same (or even worse) than their equivalents on the 360. The problem there is Sony's first party lineup has been excellent this generation, and Microsoft's is awful. To get exclusives that show off the hardware they'd have to resort to moneyhats, which would further cost them money, so it's not that attractive of an option.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

I love how you quoted yourself because the stupid discussion on who's the worst company in America overshadowed an actual PS4 rumor in the PS4 rumor thread.  :)