Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413493 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - (Pics inside)
« Reply #1100 on: October 31, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
Yoshida is the one who said they'd ask about DLNA and MP3 Support. No DLNA means no media server and No MP3 was a given becuase PS4 can't read CDs I think.

To play devils advocate while Xbox One doesn't support WMC it doesn't hurt that it supports DLNA, and arubly one could write an app it. Even if you don't have Xbox Video there were a few other music apps in a leaked build of the OS.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 31, 2013, 12:00:06 PM »
To play devils advocate while Xbox One doesn't support WMC it doesn't hurt that it supports DLNA, and arubly one could write an app it. Even if you don't have Xbox Video there were a few other music apps in a leaked build of the OS.

Even if it does support DLNA, it would probably still require a XBL Gold account to access your own home network.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 31, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

Even if it does support DLNA, it would probably still require a XBL Gold account to access your own home network.

It doesn't. I use DLNA on my 360 and it doesn't need any Gold membership.

More on Topic I hope Quantic Dream's next project isn't some uber cinematic movie product. I think the studio would benefit from being run less like a Giant Movie Studio and more like a TV production studio. Have mutiple episoidic products running alongside each other like telltale has. Smaller monthly 1 hour productions that still allow for the choices that David Cage has a hard on for.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
So PS4 doesn't support external hard drives, yet Wii U does... Nice irony there.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 01, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
PS4 supports *internal* hard drives. You can swap out the stock one just like on PS3. Not proprietary.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 01, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »
So PS4 doesn't support external hard drives, yet Wii U does... Nice irony there.

If enough feathers are ruffled then I could see Sony adding a firmware update that allows external storage. The reason Nintendo went with the storage solution is that people have spare HDDs lying around the house and an external conversion kit is very cheap. The issue with the PS4 is that unless someone constantly deletes and re-downloads games then they will eventually run out of space.  There are HDDs that exceed the two terabyte limit, but they are too big to fit into the PS4. Although I had an idea of hose to run and external four terabyte HDD (3.5 inch) to an adapter that fits inside the PS4's HDD docking station, but this might void the warranty.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 02, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »

How so. The Wii U doesn't even come with a Harddrive in the first place and to do anything else on the console its another $60-$100 expense. Its kind of ironic that Nintendo is pushing hard for digital content when the console can't hold that much.

Plus with the Playstation 4 you can swamp out the HDDs. '

This month's Playstation Plus games

Launch Line up for the PS4

First Party Games
Flower
Killzone: Shadowfall
Knack
ResoGun
Sound Shapes
Playroom

Third Party Games
Angry Birds Star Wars
Assassins Creed IV" Black Flag
Call of Duty: Ghosts
DC Universe Online
Fifa 14
Battlefield 4
Just Dance 2014
Injustice: Gods among US Ultimate Edition
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2k14
Skylanders: Swamp Fprce

Indie
Contrast
Pinball Arcade
Super Motherload
Tiny Brians
Warframe

A prettty nice lanch line up that mirror's the Wii U in alot of ways. There's also a few games set for that might make the launch depending if the dev can get it out on time. I know Trine 2 and War Thunder were some of them.

The biggest thing Sony has done right that I feel Nintendo did so wrong is cultivate a good post launch line up for the PS4's first year. Sony pushed themselves being indie friendly early on to make a good post launch support from big third parties as well as indies. Plus sony themselves are looking to support the console with DD and retail games..

PS4 Launch Window games from Sony

Escape Plan
Flow
Drive Club
Infamous second Son
Doki Doki Universe
MLB 14
hohokum
Helldivers
Shadows of the beast
Rime
everybody's gone to the rapture

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 02, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »

This month's Playstation Plus games

Launch Line up for the PS4

First Party Games
Flower
Killzone: Shadowfall
Knack
ResoGun
Sound Shapes
Playroom

Wow. That line-up of PS+ games is pretty awesome, and of those 1st Party games available at launch I am interested in pretty much all of them!

Thanks for getting me psyched shingi!
Gouge away.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 05, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
More UI shots from a Taiwin launch annoucment. Its really starting to grow on me.

Some more trailers to hype people up.

A new Age of Games

Remote Play

Developer spot

Dualshock 4

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
Hmm...with these recent screens, it looks like there's more of the XMB in this interface than I thought. In my eyes, that's a good thing since I liked the XMB.

On a side note, Knack's out today. I'll be picking it up on my way into work. Yeah, I know...it's pointless since I can't actually play anything, but I need to put down my preorder for Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus anyway.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 06, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »
So over the past couple of weeks, I've been picking up my retail PS4 launch library, and I've been seeing something on these games' cases I find very alarming (besides the lack of manuals. Seriously, **** the digital future):

Killzone: Shadow Fall - 45 GB "minimum" mandatory install
Knack - 37 GB "minimum" mandatory install

What. The. ****?  Between just those 2 launch games, I'm already down 82 GB on the default 500 GB PS4 HDD. Throw in the Day 1 PSN downloads (Resogun, Contrast, Flower, Sound Shapes, etc.); the mandatory 300 MB Day 1 firmware update; and the no-doubt mandatory patches for all these games, and I'm probably well over 1/5 - 2/5 of my HDD used up on the first day.

Sheesh, no wonder Sony made such a big deal about being able to play games as you download them, because with 30-50 GB games as the base level downloads/installs you'd never get to play anything otherwise! I'm sure as **** not going to get to play anything that first night, that's for sure. And I'm definitely going to have to get a larger HDD right out of the gate just to avoid some pre-SD card patch Wii-level fridge cleaning.  Unfortunately, I think my options for that HDD may top out at a TB or 2.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:46:57 AM by broodwars »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 06, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
Blu-Ray lasers are expensive to replace. Be happy that the game gets installed to the HDD.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Yeah,

One of the best I Found on New Egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236541

The height Requirement is what really gets it.  I would not be surprised if their is an adapter by the end of the month or so design wise that will be a way to put on an external drive self power drive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 06, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
Tiny Brains and Piball arcade are out for launch. Replacing them will be Blacklight and Trine 2.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 06, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »
They've already said most of that **** is being cached while installing. Come on

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 07, 2013, 02:10:31 AM »
Tiny Brains and Piball arcade are out for launch. Replacing them will be Blacklight and Trine 2.

No surprise there. FarSight still hasn't even shown up for the Wii U launch, and they owe me Wii U Kickstarter codes.  I don't know if I even care enough to get Pinball Arcade on PS4 anyway, as I play that series on my Vita where it "feels" better (even if that version of the game looks worse than the iOS version).  I really can't say I care about Trine 2. I already own it on PS3 and Wii U, and I really don't see the point of buying it a third time.

They've already said most of that **** is being cached while installing. Come on

Regardless, there's still going to be a lot of crap to download Day 1 on the PS4, and I doubt it can do it all at once so my PS4's probably going to spend all night downloading updates/installing game data.  Even if it's caching the install data, that's still a ton of data taking up space on your HDD. Hopefully it's worth it and 30+ GB games are more the exception than the rule (though no doubt that's a fool's hope at this point).

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »
Than download the PS+ games first and maybe what ever free to play game ticles your fancy so you play with them and the OS while Knack installs.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 07, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
Plus, the PS3's HDD space went from 20GB to 500GB during the life of the console. It may that be viable now, but it will be in the future. I'm just glad Sony is planning for the future.

And you only need to download 7GB of Killzone before you can start playing.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 07, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
You make it sound like thats not a lot.  WoW allows similar function and let me tell you waiting for just that initial info is torturous at times.  7GB on most connections is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Time.html

An a 10Mb/s connection that is 01:33:20 but, more than likely Sony's upload bandwidth.  I couldn't find good numbers for what PSN currently does. 
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 07, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
You make it sound like thats not a lot.  WoW allows similar function and let me tell you waiting for just that initial info is torturous at times.  7GB on most connections is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Time.html

An a 10Mb/s connection that is 01:33:20 but, more than likely Sony's upload bandwidth.  I couldn't find good numbers for what PSN currently does.

Well, let's assume for a moment that Sony's PS4 PSN servers are just as shitty as the ones that run the PS3 & Vita's PSNs. They probably won't be ordinarily, but they probably will be on launch day just due to everyone hitting the servers at once. In any case, it takes my PS3 about 3-4 hours to download a 7 GB file on an average night. Sometimes it's faster, and sometimes it's slower but that's about the average.  That's a long time to wait on launch night to play a portion of one of your games. At Midnight/1 AM, that's pretty much "leave your PS4 on overnight and let it download stuff" territory.

The real question for me will be install times since I'm primarily concerned with the disc-based games. I've seen the PS3 just crawl through a 6-7 GB install in 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the title. Hopefully the PS4 is faster.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:26:47 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 07, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »
It would have to be.  Remember the PS3 is using a Gen 1 Blu-Ray Drive.  To not mess with developer no matter how fast the drive you put in it will go as fast as a Gen 1  Blu-Ray Drive.  That's true for the Harddrive in the PS3 as well, which I hope they lift that for the PS4.  So its suppose to have a 6x Blu-Ray drive so I assume it be half that at least.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1121 on: November 07, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »
This brings the question.  How big are Nintendo's Eshop full download games and how long did it take to download?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
This brings the question.  How big are Nintendo's Eshop full download games and how long did it take to download?

http://www.nintendonerds.com/guides/wii-u/wii-u-eshop-games-list-download-sizes-retail
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »
At least few GBs. The size wouldn't really be the problem, if server speed didn't suck so much.

Also i had "corrupted" errors with all big downloads. Had to re-download Wonderful 101 twice (took two days). Now my Wii U at home is redownloading 4Gb Wii Fit U after the same error (not quite sure why -- i don't have a Balance Board [yet?]).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 08, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »
With only 500GB included and downlaod caps going all digital isn't remotely viable which is a blessing in disguise to keep physical discs.

One thing I found annoying were the hoops to jump to redeem the three month PS+ card I bought yesterday. It wouldn't let me reedem it off the SEN website (which is pretty well desgined on mobile) so I downloaded the media Go application on my computer and was able to redeem it through that.

Console is giving me PS1 feels as  this is the only time since than and maybe the Wii where I want other color controllers.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:30:33 AM by shingi_70 »