Author Topic: Project Cafe & Pre-E3 HYPE Thread  (Read 104081 times)

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
Re: Project Cafe - (aka Wii 2) - Officially Announced
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »
Sony makes these dumbass statements every time Nintendo announces something. They never say anything mature or intelligent, so when you read these statements its like they're coming from the 12 year old fanboys that Sony caters to, as opposed to mature rational adults like you'd expect a company to be run by.

It's the internet in general.  Sony reacts, Nintendo fanboys react...it's a never ending cycle really.
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »
2 HOURS UNTIL THE NEXT GENERATION HYPE TRAIN GOES WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

ROADS? WHERE WE'RE GOING, WE DON'T NEED R--GET OFF MY BRIDGE
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 01:13:13 AM »
The hype train will most likely stay quiet on this stop.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
Like I figured...Nothing but choice quotes from the meeting.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
Booooooo.  I was so excited that I woke up an hour early... only to find out they showed nothing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »
According to 1up's Sam Kennedy, Nintendo is not only taking Apple head on with a tablet like controller, but they are aiming to make On-Live obscelete in the process.
http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-stream-console

With Project Cafe, Nintendo aims to create the first social game console. What do I mean by this? Well, here's where you have to start imagining the future with me. First off, no more friend codes, that's for damn sure. But start to think about what a company like Nintendo would want to do to have players gaming and sharing together. Take a look at what it's done with StreetPass on the 3DS (where players' items and achievements can be shared with others nearby even when the system is closed) and think about what it could do on its next connected console. Nintendo merely scratched the surface with its Mii parade (where peoples' virtual avatars could migrate to others' machines) and user generated polls on the Wii -- 5 years later, the company has much more ambitious plans. The new console will be designed around the concept of connecting, sharing, and gaming with others. Like you were gaming together in a café, if you will.

Gaming Cafe..... I wonder if Blizzard would be willing to release StarCraft2 for Cafe.?

I'll take things a step further. Care to guess where the name "Stream" comes from? You've likely seen the supposed leaked image of the system's ability to stream games to its controller screens, but my understanding is that Nintendo aims to take this concept further and stream video of games being played to other peoples' machines so that friends can see what each other are up to. When you look at Nintendo consoles and handhelds, there's often a clear progression of its intent -- what starts as an experimental feature in one generation fully takes form in another. Chris Kohler just pointed out on Wired, for instance, that Project Cafe's touch-screen controller makes perfect sense if you look at Nintendo's past with the GBA to GameCube link cable.

So when I see the current Wii's dashboard of different TV screens, I can't help but think of that concept taken to the next level: seeing all of my friends' games playing in the different windows. You know, not that unlike what OnLive offers with its streaming service. Forget Facebook alerting you to what your friends have been doing in their games -- how about a platform that actually shows you?

Well... i guess that would sort of pull the rug from under OnLive assuming the rumors of easy PC ports were true. It would no longer be OnLive.... but OnLife Support :instantrimshot.com:

But here's where things get potentially even cooler. Imagine seeing your friend's game in one of the screens. You click on it, and -- provided you have the game too -- you then seamlessly join his or her game. No waiting until the next match and no buffering to sync up consoles. Just a seamless online experience, exactly as Nintendo would want it. And the beauty of this is that the concept extends to not only new games, but potentially Nintendo's back catalog of classics. Got a friend racing the AI in Super Mario Kart? What if the game was retrofitted so that you could hop right in at any given moment? That, my friends, may well be the promise of Project Cafe.

HEY!! get the hell out of my game!!! I was trying to set a course record you asshole!!!

And that's the thing I want to make clear about all of this: I really have no idea how much of this Nintendo will actually achieve with its new console. Again, Nintendo is hardly a company with a proven track record when it comes to online. But Nintendo does get social experiences, and if it's really ready to take the plunge on consoles, I believe it could revolutionize the market again, just as it did with the motion control interface last generation.

So when Stream or whatever it's eventually called is finally released and not everything is exactly as I hypothesized here, don't be shocked or disappointed. I just wanted to give you a taste of some of the rumblings I've heard, if only to paint a picture of what could be, regardless of how it ultimately takes shape. But I can at least assure you of two things: 1. This is absolutely the direction Nintendo is headed with its next console, and 2. Regardless of whether this all materializes in Project Cafe or in some console or handheld later, the future of social gaming as envisioned by Nintendo is sounding pretty darn exciting.

Lots of it is speculation, but he presents it a if it's based on something that he heard or saw.

edit: there is more at the link
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:36:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
Nintendo letting people socialize over the internet? I'll believe it when I see it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
Nintendo letting people socialize over the internet? I'll believe it when I see it.

Iwata did recognize Xbox Live as the online to beat (or replicate) and he did just say that he was wrong to think that Nintendo could handle everything by themselves and are now looking to start an "alliance" with other companies. While he specifically mentioned marketing, he could have easily been meaning online and other stuff too.

If Nintendo is getting rid of Friend Codes (please don't be wrong about that) then maybe they are willing to dive into the online experience head first and incorporate many things that haven't been done yet, atleast not all at once.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »
I will still be in school still during E3, when is the Nintendo conference?
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Project Cafe (aka Wii2)
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »
E3 is Tue. June 7th - Thur. June 9th
Nintendo conference is usually the morning of the 1st day (June 7th.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:33:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
I think you're reading too much into that one.

EDIT: Either I hallucinated what that was in response to, or it was edited.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:35:31 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
Modding under the influence?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
What would be a good idea for Nintendo to use this controller with the LCD screen is for a Wii 2 Starfox game. Imagine using the screen as a HUD for your Arwing to display system information for your space craft. If it is severly damaged or gets too low to the ground then "Critical System Error" or "Pull Up" across the screen. Also, when your team mates, or rivals such as StarWolf, would appear on the screen as they spoke.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
With the idea of StreetPass, the WiiMotes where you can carry your Mii to another console, and some of the things the article BnM quoted, I'm thinking the controller could be a weak tablet. Hell, there could even be levels to it. One controller would have to be a shell that held a 3DS, the basic controller has limited memory, a single core Atom CPU (or otherwise outdated, cheap, but still good enough to do the basic functions of this controller CPU), a low-res LCD screen, and whatever button configuration. I also think the basic controller could be a shell with a screen that the WiiMote and Nunchuck not only strap into, but are powered by the rechargeable (but interchangeable) battery in the shell-with-a-screen. Controllers could then go up in specs, design, etc. while still being able to provide the basic functions of the controller, maybe still having the ability the have a Wiimote and Nunchuck (or Cafemote and/or whateverthehellelse).
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »
Seriously Nintendo just needs to Remember K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
EA had dev kits since Aug 2010?
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
We know EA & other 3rd Parties are developing software for Cafe and we know that 3rd parties have had Dev kits for "a few months". But how many is a few?

Do you think 9 months is a few?
Quote from: Resume
Engineer (Contract)
Electronic Arts
Public Company; ERTS; Computer Games industry
August 2010 – October 2010 (3 months)

Developing audio support for an unannounced title on an unannounced Nintendo platform.

Some might say 3DS!!, but 3DS was announced in March 2010 & fully revealed by June 2010.
So now we know that EA has been working on Cafe since atleast August of last year which gives them a full 10 months before having to reveal software @ E3.

Rumors also state that R* was among the first and so was Retro, so hopefully we should be able to see what both of them have been working on (GTAV & DKCR2?).

Anyone wanna take a guess at what EA might have to show?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
Madden Football.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »
Boom Blox 3.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
Need 4 Speed

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Sims
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
Battlefield 3 Cafe Edition
is your sanity...

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »
Dead Space compilation with all 3 games and a sneek peak at DS3.
Tiger Woods 2013

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
Seriously Nintendo just needs to Remember K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.

To hell with that. Instead of keeping it simple, Nintendo should follow the other K.I.S.S. principle and create a system that "Rock n' Rolls all night, and parties every day!" As opposed to a system that just gathers dust with a perpetually blue glowing light.
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
The Sims 3.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.