Author Topic: Strange Video Game Ideas  (Read 10657 times)

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Video Game Ideas
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
But also realistically, the virtual console is also a means for software companies to protect their copyrights and IPs of old games because they are being used again.  So people justifying playing the games in emulation, really can't...because you can download the games for the Wii.

That wouldn't help, unlike trademarks you don't have to use the copyrighted material to maintain the copyright for it.  Even if there had been no game released in the series for 69 years that is still not legal justification for distributing without the owner's permission (although the emulators may be a different story, they are a legal gray area for older systems that lack copy protection equipment).  There is also no requirement that you enforce your copyrights, so they could ignore ROM distribution for 69 years then suddenly sue everyone who did it into oblivion.  So releasing the games does not help protect their IP in any legal sense, it would only provide a more persuasive moral argument.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:09:31 PM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 10:34:24 PM »
Actually, wasn't ROB in Smash Bros.?
Yes, and also Mario Kart DS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »
the only thing i can put rob into is some sort of super eye toy, house helper..like an actual robot
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »
the only thing i can put rob into is some sort of super eye toy, house helper..like an actual robot

I would be perfectly satisfied with a ROB drinkholder that also kept my beverages chilled. You would just put a drink in each of his hands. And hey, if it charged my Wii Remotes, all the better.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
I actually don't think the Virtual Console is all about nostalgia actually.  It is about playing some really great games that happen to be older games.  Like really old movies that are still fun to watch even though there are newer movies with better effects and editing. 

But also realistically, the virtual console is also a means for software companies to protect their copyrights and IPs of old games because they are being used again.  So people justifying playing the games in emulation, really can't...because you can download the games for the Wii.

Another reason why its not all about Nostalgia is because in many cases the people playing those old games are experiencing them for the VERY first time. You can't be nostalgic about something which is completely new to you. Many gamers today are too young to have experienced those games when they were new back in the 80s/90s, and even the gamers who are old enough might not have experienced them before either.

But the problem is I think gamers who only have experience with 6th generation or higher consoles will probably try an old NES game for the first time and think its "stupid", because the graphics are a lot weaker than what they're used to. To them its just a joke.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »
And hey, if it charged my Wii Remotes, all the better.

I think that's the best idea yet. Nintendo doesn't have an official Wiimote charging cradle, but if they did why not have it be designed to look like ROB? Then it would not only serve a practical function, but would also be aesthetically cool to look at as well. He could also alert you if there are any new Wii updates or messages.

I think it would also be cool to have a charging cradle that looked like a Chozo statue. Then whenever you wanted to play a game you could be like Samus and take the fully charged and ready Wiimote from the statue's hands. Not likely to happen, but it would be a cool thing to have.
is your sanity...

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
My current charger has a flat base, a center potion, and two hands.  It could easily have be designed to look like a ROB (if Nintendo's IP didn't get in the way).
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »

I would be perfectly satisfied with a ROB drinkholder that also kept my beverages chilled. You would just put a drink in each of his hands. And hey, if it charged my Wii Remotes, all the better.

rob makes a perfect visual accessory. My Rob wears a sombrero. Rob makes better memorabilia than actual functional product.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 11:19:48 PM »
I would like to have a battle damaged ROB complete with bullet holes, scorch marks and various scrapes and tears.  ;D
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 02:56:21 AM »
I would like to have a battle damaged ROB complete with bullet holes, scorch marks and various scrapes and tears.  ;D

Why do you want to see ROB maimed? What did he ever do to you?
is your sanity...

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »
Why do you want to see ROB maimed? What did he ever do to you?

Oh, you have no idea.  Don't even get me started.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
I'd get a ROB cup holder, that would be pretty neat. I'm probably one of the few who liked that character in SSBBrawl.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
What would a ROB accessory bring to the Wii?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »
A cup holder.  We just went over this.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.