Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 178799 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2003, 06:08:24 PM »
Wow its nice to see that I wasn't the only one that like Fortune. My favorite part of MGS2 was when they Fortune was dead. She gets and actually stops a bullet on her own. Too bad she had to die....

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2003, 12:49:47 AM »
Yeah Fortune was an interesting character, I hated Fatman, and didnt like Vamp either.
I just thought those characters where far too exaggerated, I mean, a friggin Vampire

I never played MGS1 but I hope its much better, Im really excited for this one and I hope that SK crank the graphics up a notch or two.
LZ 2005

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 04, 2003, 09:22:10 AM »
Who's going to fill out the dogtag registration form to be in The Twin Sankes?
Im not.
Would be interesting if Konami & Nintendo collaborated and managed to actually choose mostly gamers over 15 years of age etc, because we can just see it already.

Websites claiming 95% of dogatgs are "kiddies" to smear the games release.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 04, 2003, 06:10:10 PM »
Well just in case you guys don't know and since nobody has posted it yet it seems you don't. Its been all but revealed that the main character of MGS3 isn't Snake but it is in fact Big Boss. I know this was a rumor when the trailer was first viewed but it seems be basically confirmed now. MGS3 Details

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2003, 02:20:15 AM »
very interesting MGS feature on IGN, and its free

cube.ign.com
LZ 2005

Offline Piposan

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2003, 09:49:26 AM »
I wonder if the fans will react to Big Boss the same way they reacted to Raiden?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2003, 06:19:19 PM »
Oh hell no.

Big Boss is absolutely no problem, as Snake was a clone of him.  From the trailer movies, it's obvious that they do things in the same way too, so that's no problem.  It's like playing with Snake, but with a name change.  In other words, it's all good.

After reading the IGN article though, I take back what I said about the MGS: TTS textures.  The screen shots are crappy.  The textures are good, and they are certainly better than the textures in MGS2.  At this point in time, I would say that the game is every bit as impressive as MGS2, and the rest of the time should be spent adding cool things to do.

like humping the guards.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #357 on: June 08, 2003, 03:59:23 AM »
Perhaps, Cube232 if you weren't such a devout Nintendo fanboy, then you would notice that I'm not such a big Sony fanboy (what is with putting $ony anyway?). MGS1's story was GOOD. Just because you're only used to 'Princess has been kidnapped! Please save her Mario! Collect the magic coins!' doesn't mean that a more complicated story is bad.

I too just read the comparison at IGN.com, and they said something about the graphics having been updated since E3. All I can say is that that's a good thing. Also, it said that they'd out up the gamma in the screenshots (apparently that's one of SK's 'trademarks') and that the game will run in 480i. Sounds very good! (despite me not having an HDTV...)

One of my (minor) concerns is how they're going to translate the analogue face button's usage on the PS2 to the non-analogue face buttons on the GCN. Any ideas? The only one I could think of was having to unequip a weapon to not fire it.

Edit: I like your new avatar, Grey Ninja. Have you played Silent Hill 3? I completed it two days ago, and was very impressed. Certainly my favourite in the series, and the best survival horror yet.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 08, 2003, 05:26:13 AM »
to me it seems the GCN controller would be perfect for sneaking/stealth action games
and SK should really work out good controls

this game is one of my most wanted even if its a remake (never played MGS)
i loved MGS2 and if indeed MGS1 has such a better story with the MGS2 gameplay, WOW
LZ 2005

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2003, 12:41:42 PM »

Originally posted by: boggy b
Perhaps, Cube232 if you weren't such a devout Nintendo fanboy, then you would notice that I'm not such a big Sony fanboy (what is with putting $ony anyway?). MGS1's story was GOOD. Just because you're only used to 'Princess has been kidnapped! Please save her Mario! Collect the magic coins!' doesn't mean that a more complicated story is bad.

I actually agree with Cube.  Some of your statements around here have simply boggled my mind, and I have challenged you on them before.  And last I heard, there was much more praise for MGS's storyline around here than complaints.  Although I do have to agree with you that the people complaining about the story... need to get out more.  

One of my (minor) concerns is how they're going to translate the analogue face button's usage on the PS2 to the non-analogue face buttons on the GCN. Any ideas? The only one I could think of was having to unequip a weapon to not fire it.

Do the smart thing and cut that completely.  I always HATED that "feature" in MGS2.  There were many times I would try to shoot a guard and simply not fire because I hadn't pressed the damn button hard enough.  Besides, I am sure you have played MGS1.  Did you have any problems with not having analog face buttons in that game?

Edit: I like your new avatar, Grey Ninja. Have you played Silent Hill 3? I completed it two days ago, and was very impressed. Certainly my favourite in the series, and the best survival horror yet.

No, it's not out in North America for another 2 months.  I am a big fan of the franchise though.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2003, 04:34:46 AM »
(I apologise if this is considered dragging up a dead topic, but I have more to say).

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for some of the stupid stuff I said before...it's just that MGS2 is one of my favourite games, and despite what every says I really like the storyline.

Do the smart thing and cut that completely. I always HATED that "feature" in MGS2. There were many times I would try to shoot a guard and simply not fire because I hadn't pressed the damn button hard enough. Besides, I am sure you have played MGS1. Did you have any problems with not having analog face buttons in that game?

Actually, I found the number of times that I did that to be quite low...although it certainly happened occasionally. By I don't know if you can introduce lots of the stuff in MGS2 without also working out how to do the analogue controls on the GCN controller. Like I said, leaping our from behind a wall sort of loses its point if you have to fire. The other way you could do it is say, press A to jump out, and when you let go it fires, but you can press B instead and Snake leaps back behind the wall. Yes...that would work.

No, it's not out in North America for another 2 months. I am a big fan of the franchise though.

Poor you. All I can is that if you've been a fan of the previous (two) games in the series then you'll love SH3. It does help a bit if you've played both the previous games, though.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2003, 09:11:21 AM »
I don't know why people think the control sceme will be like MGS2 when this is a remake of MGS1 which didn't have analog buttons. But if they want to use analog they will use the shoulder buttons to fire.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2003, 03:15:54 PM »

(I apologise if this is considered dragging up a dead topic, but I have more to say).

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for some of the stupid stuff I said before...it's just that MGS2 is one of my favourite games, and despite what every says I really like the storyline.

Understood.  With that statement, my respect level for you goes WAY up.  I have often defended unpopular games myself, so I know what you are going through.    I appreciate you taking the time to say that.

(Actually, I found the number of times that I did that to be quite low...although it certainly happened occasionally. By I don't know if you can introduce lots of the stuff in MGS2 without also working out how to do the analogue controls on the GCN controller. Like I said, leaping our from behind a wall sort of loses its point if you have to fire. The other way you could do it is say, press A to jump out, and when you let go it fires, but you can press B instead and Snake leaps back behind the wall. Yes...that would work.

As BlckPaladin mentioned before me, the GameCube has two analog buttons that the PS2 doesn't have.  It would be fairly convenient to map the controls requiring analog movement to the L and R buttons.  I think that regardless of the "how" though, the controls should be intuitive and easy to get used to.  I can't see there being a big problem with mapping such things to the GCN controller overall.

(Poor you. All I can is that if you've been a fan of the previous (two) games in the series then you'll love SH3. It does help a bit if you've played both the previous games, though.

Yes, I have played both of the previous games multiple times.  I actually prefer the less appreciated Silent Hill 2, but I loved the first one as well.  I do know a bit about #3 though, as I have a friend who has a copy of the game, and is always raving about it to me.  Personally, I am still very worried about the game, as there is some stuff that they changed that I really didn't want them to...  But I have yet to hear a bad thing about the game.  (from someone I trust).

I look forward to it though, that's for sure.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2003, 09:03:52 PM »
I like the storyline of MGS2. I didn't like how much gameplay the FMVs ate up, other than that it was an enjoyable game. (I beat it my first time in one night, I couldn't put it down.)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 13, 2003, 11:18:38 PM »
Actually, I don't mind a lot of non-interactive scenes in a game.  The 2nd disc of Xenogears didn't even bother me to tell you the truth.  As long as the story is good, I am happy.

My problem with MGS2 revolved around the unescapable problem that I hated nearly all of the characters, and the plot just seemed retarded to me.  And the color palette was simply WRONG.

I LOVED the graphics and gameplay though.  I would spend hours shooting the seagulls, humping unsuspecting guards, hiding in lockers looking at the nice pictures, and putting guards in and out of lockers.  I may be sick and twisted, but I got my jollies from it.    I just hated the game towards the end.  IMO, it started out PERFECT, then gradually got stupider and stupider.

I have considered buying the PC version simply so I could play the first level again, but I hate the rest of the game...

Offline controllerport1

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 14, 2003, 03:36:39 AM »
Speaking of plot, I'm just happy it's the MGS storyline and not MGS2's. My friend just beat substance, and the storyline takes so many turns he's not even sure what is actually happening most of the time. And the ending is VERY unexpected. I'm sure they fill in tons of story details that were not in the first one. I just hope this will turn some of the jadded mainstream gamers onto the cube.

shiggfriggantastic!

Offline black-legion

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 14, 2003, 03:54:32 PM »
when does Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes come out for gcn?

http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=823610

''today we fight in the war, tommorow we win''

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2003, 04:28:02 PM »
The end of this year.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2003, 12:46:37 AM »
November 18

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2003, 03:54:57 AM »
im so excited about this game
it just has to be awesome
BTW did the first MGS have less FMV crap than MGS2?
LZ 2005

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2003, 11:04:49 AM »
The first MGS is a lot shorter than MGS2, meaning that it has less FMVs.

On the other hand, it's personally opinion whether they're 'crap' or not.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2003, 12:34:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
im so excited about this game
it just has to be awesome
BTW did the first MGS have less FMV crap than MGS2?

Well, I only seem to remember any FMV in MGS1.    They showed some clips of nuclear blasts and crap.  It was pretty cool.

If you are talking about cinematics though, I would have to say that MGS2 had a whole lot more of it.  I think that without the cinematics though, both games are about the same length.  You will probably finish the game in about 10 hours your first time through.  It's short, but it's VERY good.  Don't let the length fool you.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 16, 2003, 06:31:37 AM »
"the GameCube has two analog buttons that the PS2 doesn't have."

Wrong,  the GC's Analog stick & C-stick don't have any press down buttons unlike the xbox & PS2's analog sticks.  

The Right Trigger and Left triggers on the GC are pressure-sensitive enabling them to do 2 functions but the PS2 already has Four triggers anyhow.  

In terms of button layouts both the xbox and PS2 have 12 buttons+ two additional buttons for select and start while the GC only has 9 buttons + start.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2003, 07:33:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Ymeegod
Wrong,  the GC's Analog stick & C-stick don't have any press down buttons unlike the xbox & PS2's analog sticks.  

Those are digital buttons.

The Right Trigger and Left triggers on the GC are pressure-sensitive enabling them to do 2 functions but the PS2 already has Four triggers anyhow.  

In terms of button layouts both the xbox and PS2 have 12 buttons+ two additional buttons for select and start while the GC only has 9 buttons + start.

Whatever.  I was just commenting that the GCN has two analog shoulder buttons.  I don't see a need to make a big deal out of it.  I am very familiar with the dual shock, and I don't a description of it, thanks.

Offline YoungLink

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 16, 2003, 06:31:18 PM »
does this game have multiplayer?