Author Topic: This would make Nintendo mature...  (Read 7369 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
This would make Nintendo mature...
« on: April 29, 2003, 08:18:18 PM »
I think Nintendo should develop a 1st party FPS game,
we've seen Nintendo assist with Goldeneye + Perfect Dark and look at the results
I believe if Nintendo creates a FPS themselves, they could redefine the genre
their skills would put Halo to shame.
(please don't reply, what about Metroid Prime?, as that was not a true FPS)
when I say FPS, I mean a true FPS

anyway I think this would be an excellent launch title for their next console
and would go ways to ridding them as the "kiddie company"

any ideas for what you would want in a FPS made by Nintendo themselves?

i have a few:
1. an original bad ass character to play as
2. include some vehicles in the game
3. use blood (just to push their mature theme to the max)
4. make it a very large game with more levels than any other FPS made to date
5. include voice
6. online support (if it debuted on the next console, this would push Nintendo to the top)

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 08:47:56 PM »
Why are you even a Nintendo fan? Seriously if you are a Nintendo fan you obviously like or love Nintendo games with their Nintendo style and gameplay. Nintendo isn't a mature game company, it is a kiddie game company. People ( parents ) buy Nintendo because they know they are NOT getting blood, guts, sex and violence. If you want the mature titles buy an Xbox, PS2 or a PC. It is like buying a Porsche when you never wanted it but always wanted a Ferrari. A " mature Nintendo " title ? I can't even really imagine and even if one came out...... it would be considered seriously LAME compared to the goods available to PS2 and Xbox. It wouldn't out do and out mature or out violence / blood & guts any PS2 / Xbox title..... and if it did who would buy it?

>>  believe if Nintendo creates a FPS themselves, they could redefine the genre
their skills would put Halo to shame <<

Why on earth would you think or believe this? Yeah Nintendo makes great and good kiddie / cute game ..... they have no real experience ( or recent experience ) with modern mature rated FPS shooters. In addition, the FPS market is DEAD in Japan..... why would they bother .... just for the US market? As for Halo....... please. Half Life and Halo and considered the kings of FPS games. Both their sequels are looking seriously AWESOME and both look like they will easily outdue themselves. And both are out within a year's time ( HL2 in Sept and Halo2 in early 2004 ).

As for not mentioning Metroid Prime...... YES 100% absolutely you should mention MP in any shooter discussion because MP is seriously related to the FPS genre and IF MP can't sell ........ shooters don't sell on the GC. If MP were on the PS2 or Xbox, it would be a multi MILLION copy seller. Gamecube fanboys have already proven that shooters aren't their cup of tea and developers know this. Shooters on GC are just a waste of development time and money.  

>> make it a very large game with more levels than any other FPS made to date <<

The GameCube can NOT outdo the Xbox. It isn't powerful enough. As John Carmack of DOOM 3 said the Xbox is the only console CAPABLE of doing DOOM 3.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 09:15:04 PM »
that is the worst reply i've seen in any forum in my entire life...
not to mention the contradictions and errors you make...

quote BrianSLA:
People ( parents ) buy Nintendo because they know they are NOT getting blood, guts, sex and violence.
-----------------------------
um where've you been? Mortal Kombat 2 (blood and all the gore) release date- early 90's

quote BrianSLA:
 A " mature Nintendo " title ? I can't even really imagine and even if one came out...... it would be considered seriously LAME compared to the goods available to PS2 and Xbox. It wouldn't out do and out mature or out violence / blood & guts any PS2 / Xbox title..... and if it did who would buy it?
------------------------------
you state it won't outdo ps2/xbox, but a sentence later you say even if it did outdo ps2/xbox who would buy it... you're contradicting yourself son

these next two comments make you sound like a 6 yr old...
quote BrianSLA:
Why on earth would you think or believe this? Yeah Nintendo makes great and good kiddie / cute game ..... they have no real experience ( or recent experience ) with modern mature rated FPS shooters.
----------------------------------
you say that, but a few sentences later you say:
As for not mentioning Metroid Prime...... YES 100% absolutely you should mention MP in any shooter discussion because MP is seriously related to the FPS genre and IF MP can't sell ........ shooters don't sell on the GC.  Gamecube fanboys have already proven that shooters aren't their cup of tea and developers know this. Shooters on GC are just a waste of development time and money.
-----------------------------------
and lets not forget their input in GEye and PDark
DAMN what were you thinking?

I state:
quote: >> make it a very large game with more levels than any other FPS made to date <<
and you reply:
The GameCube can NOT outdo the Xbox. It isn't powerful enough. As John Carmack of DOOM 3 said the Xbox is the only console CAPABLE of doing DOOM 3.
--------------------------------------
when did I say ANYTHING at all about Doom 3, I said make it a very large game with more levels than any other FPS to date, that has absolutely nothing to do with the graphical specs of the system (and yes you're implying graphics when you say doom 3 with Carmacks statement)

This is the first time in my life I've called someone this name...
FANBOY!
shut your mouth now cuz you just got owned!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 10:42:03 PM »
ehm... your asking nintendo to do something that nintendo dont do, rare made goldeneye and perfect dark... also mortal kombat was a 3rd party title, or does nintendo use the name midway when they want to release violent games? anyways this thread is so locked :\ gg arguments -_-
also... why would this be in the other systems section? :\

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 06:37:02 AM »
So, for Nintendo to be mature, they should ape some other game's style, rehash a genre that's already been beat to death, and only provide safe innovations (that players will expect anyway) while sacrificing gameplay for graphics...

So, err,have you ever played a nintendo game?

And then when they sacrifice everything that Nintendo is known for to appease *you*, everyone *else* criticizes them for wimping out and trying to mooch off the "mature" trend and halo's success.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 11:06:10 AM »
quote PIAC:
ehm... your asking nintendo to do something that nintendo dont do, rare made goldeneye and perfect dark... also mortal kombat was a 3rd party title, or does nintendo use the name midway when they want to release violent games? anyways this thread is so locked :\ gg arguments -_-
also... why would this be in the other systems section? :\

Exactly, asking them to do something they don't do...make a mature FPS...
I know Rare made GE and PD, I said Nintendo "assisted" them if you read more carefully.
I used MK (2) as an example that Nintendo systems do have mature games on them
and that was as early as the early 1990s.

quote Eggytoast:
So, for Nintendo to be mature, they should ape some other game's style, rehash a genre that's already been beat to death, and only provide safe innovations (that players will expect anyway) while sacrificing gameplay for graphics...

So, err,have you ever played a nintendo game?

And then when they sacrifice everything that Nintendo is known for to appease *you*, everyone *else* criticizes them for wimping out and trying to mooch off the "mature" trend and halo's success.

who said anything about aping another games style, I never said anything to that effect.
rehash a genre that's already beaten to death... they've done it with Mario and SFA already, who said anything about "safe" innovations, that players expect?!??!?!?!?! and who said sacrifice gameplay for graphics I NEVER SAID THAT
HAVE I PLAYED A NINTENDO GAME?!  I've been playing Nintendo games now for 17 years
TO APPEASE ME? WTF I wrote this idea as an example that Nintendo could do to attract gamers who want mature titles, NOT TO APPEASE MYSELF
MOOOCH OFF THE MATURE TREND? that would not be mooching, making a GTA game would be "mooching"
Halo's success... so all of a sudden if someone makes a FPS they're copying Halo?
GIVE ME A BREAK THATS SO ABSURD

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 01:51:42 PM »
This string has been folding in on itself ever since the first post.

A system cannot be "mature" or "immature." It's the player that has one of these words attached to them. The player that plays whatever the hell he wants, when he wants, where he wants to is the mature one. They play games for the original intention--for fun--and don't care about what others think. The one that bitches, moans, and starts console war debates is the immature one.

Nintendo is by no means flopping. Just because they're not the number one seller doesn't mean they're on their way out of the industry. Their business is run very, very well, and they make a crapload of money. They will always be there, no matter what "place" on the market they are, doing what they do best: making a very diverse selection of top-quality games, with original, innovative methods and ideology.

And that's where I'll be; be it all by myself (more for me), or with a bunch of friends.  
Mode 7: The Filthy Mutie

"Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no affect on society." - Mark Twain

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 02:01:05 PM »
To all except joamis...Im pretty sure nintendo could make a FPS, and not only could they make a quality fps that could definitely compete with halo and half life.  Never put anything past nintendo, they have been in the video game business longer than or as long as anyone around. To say that nintendo couldnt do this is being ignorant of the fact that nintendo is a spectacular game maker.

Nintendo cant make fps....Bah...I say good day to you sir!!!
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 03:52:57 PM »
im sure they probably could, but i dont think they should. the gamecube has violent games on it, i dont get your point joeamis

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 04:08:22 PM »
all I'm trying to say is that if Nintendo made a mature perhaps a little gory FPS
themselves, then people might give them some credit and not continue
referring to them as the kiddie only company

edit: plus I'd love to play a FPS made by Nintendo because I know it would
blow the doors off of any other FPS, including Halo

Nintendo simply has the best talent

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 04:33:20 PM »
Yeah but it would be their first FPS.  I doubt it will put Halo to shame. I like Nintendo and all but i'd just hate it if they made a FPS.  They could probably make a different type of game to make them mature looking because i don't think they will make a FPS game that can topple perfect Dark, or Halo, or Half Life.
Maybe a mature adventure type game. or if they made a new Zelda less aimed at kids.

Nintendo just doesn't make FPS or simulation games or a realistic racing game. that's it. Even if they did it would probably be bad. They aren't so good that they can make anything and have it be the best of the best.  
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 04:44:20 PM »
I disagree, It wouldnt be bad.  Nintendo strives for excellence.  I know they would research and brain storm until they have the ultimate innovative fps...but then on the other hand your right nintendo would probably never go the way of FPS.  Thats not to say they cant though,  because they definitely can.  Guaranteed!!!  (maybe we'll see some in Gamecube 2)  
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 04:50:58 PM »
Nintendo could make a brilliant simulation, first-person shooter, or realistic sports title in their sleep. They simply don't want to, and that's why I give them my money. The market is saturated with all of those genres, and even platformers are starting to get all too frequent.

Saying that the new Zelda game is "aimed at kids" is obviously the rantings of someone who has never played the game; nevermind the countless Miyamoto interviews where he explains his choice for the artistic style.

"Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no affect on society." - Mark Twain

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2003, 05:28:53 PM »
When Nintendo wants to make a FPS, they end up with Metroid -- a game with lots of awards and high ratings, but lauded as "not really an FPS."  Any other FPS made by Nintendo would meet similar criticism, I'm sure -- great game, lots of innovation, but "not really an FPS."

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2003, 10:19:42 PM »
joeamis,

>> um where've you been? Mortal Kombat 2 (blood and all the gore) release date- early 90's <<
Mortal Kombat 2? Yeah I am sure the average parent or even the average gamer deciding between the 3 consoles says ' Yeah Nintendo .... that is the mature themed console!' . NOPE.
As much as YOU joeamis want the Gamecube to be a mature themed or mature popular console... it just ISN'T. Mature titles flop on the Cube.

>> you state it won't outdo ps2/xbox, but a sentence later you say even if it did outdo ps2/xbox who would buy it... you're contradicting yourself son <<

No I am not contradicting myself... I am just stating a hypothetical situation ( EVEN IF..... get it ? ). Again I will state REALITY for you. The PS2 and Xbox reign supreme in the Mature title market. Mature titles sell like CRAP on the Gamecube. Gamecube customers don't buy MA titles compared to family rated or kiddie titles. ALL the cutting edge mature rated stuff is on the PS2, Xbox and PC. And EVEN IF ( the hypothetical situation - i.e. the thing which won't happen ).... EVEN IF the Cube came out with a AAA Mature rated title that outdid the compettition.... it wouldn't matter as GCubers won't buy it ( ETERNAL DARKNESS anyone? ).

>> Why on earth would you think or believe this? Yeah Nintendo makes great and good kiddie / cute game ..... they have no real experience ( or recent experience ) with modern mature rated FPS shooters.
----------------------------------
As for not mentioning Metroid Prime <<

Yeah Metroid Prime is considered a modern MATURE RATED FPS shooter. NOPE!.  Again no contradiction.

>> and lets not forget their input in GEye and PDark
DAMN what were you thinking? <<

AGAIN joe you miss the point of my statement. FPS or shooters or Mature rated titles DON'T SELL ON THE GAMECUBE.

>> FANBOY! <<

yeah right. Where in any of my posts have I advocated any one of the 3 consoles or the PC? Not one.  A " Fanboy " is a single system obsessed irrational fan. Someone who doesn't listen to rational thought or argument. Someone who doesn't see REALITY. I haven't advocated one system over the other. YOU on the other hand are a Nintendo fan who wants Mature titles and thinks it will be a hit on the Gamecube and that will change the tide of the GC being in last place.

>> shut your mouth now cuz you just got owned!  <<

Again yeah right. You gotta love a guy who posts his thoughts on a BBS and then gets defensive when someone challenges them and then goes the personal attack route. I haven't personally attacked you. I attacked / challenged your post. Personal attacks on the web are meaningless and highly IMMATURE. You owned me? yeah right.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 05:58:01 AM »
It is ironic how the most immature people want to play "mature" games.  Especially when those "mature" games are so immature.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 10:12:03 AM »
thats a  sig worthy quote eggytoast

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2003, 01:02:03 PM »

Originally posted by: EggyToast
It is ironic how the most immature people want to play "mature" games.  Especially when those "mature" games are so immature.

Agreed. I was sort of getting to that earlier, but I think my post would've made some heads explode if they actually tried of absorb it.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2003, 02:14:24 PM »

Originally posted by: BrianSLA
joeamis,

>> um where've you been? Mortal Kombat 2 (blood and all the gore) release date- early 90's <<
Mortal Kombat 2? Yeah I am sure the average parent or even the average gamer deciding between the 3 consoles says ' Yeah Nintendo .... that is the mature themed console!' . NOPE.
As much as YOU joeamis want the Gamecube to be a mature themed or mature popular console... it just ISN'T. Mature titles flop on the Cube.
---------------------------------------
The quote about MK2 was an illustration that Nintendo does have mature games on their consoles, it in no way was meant as an example for people to buy it because it's mature... obviously you didn't understand my point.
As far as mature titles on gamecube being a flop....So I guess Resident Evil was a flop right?  Too bad it's sold around 1 million worldwide, and only about 6 games on the Gamecube have reached that mark, so yea obviously you're correct...NOT... and I guess Metroid Prime was a flop too right? LOL

>> you state it won't outdo ps2/xbox, but a sentence later you say even if it did outdo ps2/xbox who would buy it... you're contradicting yourself son <<

No I am not contradicting myself... I am just stating a hypothetical situation ( EVEN IF..... get it ? ). Again I will state REALITY for you. The PS2 and Xbox reign supreme in the Mature title market. Mature titles sell like CRAP on the Gamecube. Gamecube customers don't buy MA titles compared to family rated or kiddie titles. ALL the cutting edge mature rated stuff is on the PS2, Xbox and PC. And EVEN IF ( the hypothetical situation - i.e. the thing which won't happen ).... EVEN IF the Cube came out with a AAA Mature rated title that outdid the compettition.... it wouldn't matter as GCubers won't buy it ( ETERNAL DARKNESS anyone? ).
-------------------------------
you still contradicted yourself, no matter how you try to reverse your quotes

>> Why on earth would you think or believe this? Yeah Nintendo makes great and good kiddie / cute game ..... they have no real experience ( or recent experience ) with modern mature rated FPS shooters.
As for not mentioning Metroid Prime <<

Yeah Metroid Prime is considered a modern MATURE RATED FPS shooter. NOPE!.  Again no contradiction.
wtf are you talking about here, this is what you said originally....
As for not mentioning Metroid Prime...... YES 100% absolutely you should mention MP in any shooter discussion because MP is seriously related to the FPS genre and IF MP can't sell ........ shooters don't sell on the GC. Gamecube fanboys have already proven that shooters aren't their cup of tea and developers know this. Shooters on GC are just a waste of development time and money.
--------------------------
Actually most Gamecube fanboys tout Timesplitters 2 as one of their favorite games...

>> and lets not forget their input in GEye and PDark
DAMN what were you thinking? <<

AGAIN joe you miss the point of my statement. FPS or shooters or Mature rated titles DON'T SELL ON THE GAMECUBE.
lets think of something now... hmm GoldenEye...how many units sold for that N64 game? a couple million... and that was on the N64 which was seen as even more kiddy than the Gamecube,,, and then there's Perfect Dark... same scenario... if FPS don't sell on Gamecube, how come just about every gamecube owner was highly anticipating the sequel to Perfect Dark.... YOU"RE SO WRONG!

and thats why they keep coming out with gamecube FPS huh... new FPS games coming for gamecube... XIII, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor Rising Sun, , Shoot to Kill, Duke Nukem Forever,
Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter, the new Bond FPS... and those are just off the top of my head...

and besides that they're making a new Metal Gear game for gamecube... that's one of the most "mature" games there is....
if you look at what games are being canceled for gamecube it's mostly sports games not mature games...

>> FANBOY! <<

yeah right. Where in any of my posts have I advocated any one of the 3 consoles or the PC? Not one.  A " Fanboy " is a single system obsessed irrational fan. Someone who doesn't listen to rational thought or argument. Someone who doesn't see REALITY. I haven't advocated one system over the other. YOU on the other hand are a Nintendo fan who wants Mature titles and thinks it will be a hit on the Gamecube and that will change the tide of the GC being in last place.
----------------------------------------
I am not a Nintendo fan that simply wants mature titles... I have my PS2 for that.  I was simply making the point that a Nintendo made FPS would help mold their image into something less kiddie...
When did you advocate one of the 3 consoles?
You went crazy yelling about Doom 3 for Xbox when nothing I said talked specifically about doom 3 or the xbox... the comment made me call you a fanboy... you were blatantly "advertising" the game for the xbox

>> shut your mouth now cuz you just got owned!  <<

Again yeah right. You gotta love a guy who posts his thoughts on a BBS and then gets defensive when someone challenges them and then goes the personal attack route. I haven't personally attacked you. I attacked / challenged your post. Personal attacks on the web are meaningless and highly IMMATURE. You owned me? yeah right.

-------------------------------------------
I attacked you because you insulted me, your first sentence was clearly an insult...
"Why are you even a Nintendo fan?"

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 04:35:51 PM »

Yeah but it would be their first FPS. I doubt it will put Halo to shame. I like Nintendo and all but i'd just hate it if they made a FPS. They could probably make a different type of game to make them mature looking because i don't think they will make a FPS game that can topple perfect Dark, or Halo, or Half Life.
I disagree.  I never saw what "everyone else" saw in Halo.  It was a good FPS, but it didn't redefine the genre like I've heard people say.  Sure it was pretty (and in some parts not so pretty), but what else?  Perfect Dark was overseen and published by Nintendo.  I'll give you Half Life though, I really enjoyed that game.

When Nintendo wants to make a FPS, they end up with Metroid -- a game with lots of awards and high ratings, but lauded as "not really an FPS." Any other FPS made by Nintendo would meet similar criticism, I'm sure -- great game, lots of innovation, but "not really an FPS."
That's because Nintendo said that it wasn't really an FPS.  It wasn't criticism, it was what was marketed.

Nintendo just doesn't make FPS or simulation games or a realistic racing game. that's it. Even if they did it would probably be bad. They aren't so good that they can make anything and have it be the best of the best
I don't know what type of game you mean when you say a simulation, but I put Animal Crossing right up there with the best.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2003, 10:29:35 PM »
I'll just end this argument right here----if Nintendo decided to make a FPS, It would be the best..If they decided to make a Zoo Simulation, that too, would be the best....even if they made a threes company hybrid video game..it would still rank at the top...because, simply put...Nintendo is the originator...in every genre....
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2003, 01:38:02 PM »
If Nintendo made an FPS, it'd be awesome.  But they won't.  So get over it.  They have plenty of branches (Retro, Factor 5 (that right?)) that are technically part of Nintendo that make stuff like that.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2003, 05:53:45 AM »
OMG. Can you say fanboy?

If Nintendo made an FPS...Half-Life would trounce it.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2003, 07:04:09 AM »
Well, I think this discussion is going as far as it's going to.  Nintendo is going to focus on what THEIR strengths are, and they'll farm out the other popular genres (fighting, fps, etc.) to other companies.  That's the smart thing to do, focus on what you're best at.  There's apparently only one person in this conversation that can't seem to grasp that concept, so there's little point is beating a dead horse, especially when people are taking it personally.  Lockin' it up ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153