Author Topic: Goldeneye Wii  (Read 101660 times)

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Goldeneye Wii
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
Playing online is quite frustrating. Controls are floaty and unresponsive, especially with the running. And there are random scraps of paper almost floating in the air. I'm assuming it is like the shreds of paper that float in some of the Modern Warfare levels except those were believable ones. These just seem to hang there for no reason. I also don't like how your vision blurs when you reload. It's cool for single player but makes it impossible  to see enemies when playing online.

Still having fun overall with it but it can also be aggravating. Graphics are also terrible. Lots of texture popping and poorly rendered areas.

I am having no issue with the controls.  If you have difficulties with the 3 or 4 pre-set configurations, you can fully customize them.  I am using the Experienced 3 config with a few minor tweaks and I find it works very well for me.  Only took me a few minutes to tweak something that worked nicely for me.

I am not sure why you feel the visuals are terrible.  The single player visuals and presentation is just as good as Dead Space Extraction.  The visuals in multiplayer may be a tad lower in quality as compared to single player (as was done in The Conduit), but it's still pretty very good technically.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:59:12 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »
I'm using maximum experienced with maximum sensitivity, the only part where the controls are inconsistent is when hacking the goldeneye stations, I often only bring up the smartphone on the second try.

That the blur while reloading makes seeing difficult is probably intentional, when I need to do a lengthy reload (the SEGS takes a long time there) I go and hide in a safe spot.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2010, 07:02:22 AM »
Yeah the depth of field is completely intentional.

Is anyone having problems keeping their gun steady? I'm having TONS of problems with this. I look like a total moron if I do anything other than zoom in. My gun just doesn't stay straight. I've tried all experience levels and it hasn't improved. Its weird cause I don't recall having this problem on any other shooter, I thought it was cause I was noob, but that problem didn't go away after a while.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
Have your doctor check you for Parkinson's Disease :P.

Offline Seacor

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »
Is anyone having problems keeping their gun steady? I'm having TONS of problems with this. I look like a total moron if I do anything other than zoom in. My gun just doesn't stay straight.

Your opponents may be equipping the "Ultra high frequency single digit sonic agitator" gadget.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »
I've played around a lot with the controller settings and nothing feels right. Maybe I'm just pampered because of how awesome Reflex is.

I also can't stand how slow you climb up ladders and jump objects. Climbing a ladder is pretty much a death sentence.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:27:30 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
You'd be surprised how rarely people look at ladders. Most of the time you can use that long ladder on Outpost without getting shot.

Maybe you're thinking too CoD-y, GoldenEye is more about running and gunning than hiding and sniping. The game mechanics may be fundamentally similar but the actual gameplay of Golden Eye is very different from what CoD offers.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »
You'd be surprised how rarely people look at ladders. Most of the time you can use that long ladder on Outpost without getting shot.

Maybe you're thinking too CoD-y, GoldenEye is more about running and gunning than hiding and sniping. The game mechanics may be fundamentally similar but the actual gameplay of Golden Eye is very different from what CoD offers.

Despite owning COD: RE, I have yet to play a COD game, yet hiding and sniping is how I found my legs in Goldeneye's multiplayer mode. For someone like me, there is a huge risk/reward factor for scampering up one of the guard tower ladders in the Outpost level -- if I make it, I could easily take the round because I have become so adept at quickly positioning my aim with a sniper rifle using the Wii remote.

Keep in mind that the sniper rifle is much slower to control when aiming down the sights than any other gun. It took me far longer to master aiming by "snapping to" with all of the other guns (and here I use the term "master" very loosely).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
I just run around and shoot people in the face. My favourite gun is still the SEGS550 but I can deal with almost everything. Despite mostly playing DM I've got a Win:Loss ratio >1.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »
You should throw your friend code up on the thread, KDR_11k. 'Praps we can tear it up.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »
It seems I like Experience 1, with max sensitivity and no ADS snap. I also seem to get much better aim using the Wii Zapper. So thats what I use now. Pretty surprising considering the controls don't lend themselves well to that. But I actually have gotten used to it.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
You should throw your friend code up on the thread, KDR_11k. 'Praps we can tear it up.

Inter-continental FPS gaming is too laggy (I get 200+ms to US servers in other games), I'd rather not do that.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
OH MY GOD. **** THE PRICK WHO DESIGNED THE "DEFEND NATALYA" level. OH MY GOD. EAT MY **** you asshole. How are there no checkpoints in this? There are so many bad guys and half the time, even when they are shooting they don't appear on the radar. God its so bull ****. I'd take a point of the score just because this stupid level is even in the game.

EDIT: man seriously, I just rage quit so hard. Now I can't feel part of my thumb cause I god so pissed off at the controller 0_o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:24:20 PM by DAaaMan64 »

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »
OH MY GOD. **** THE PRICK WHO DESIGNED THE "DEFEND NATALYA" level. OH MY GOD. EAT MY **** you asshole. How are there no checkpoints in this? There are so many bad guys and half the time, even when they are shooting they don't appear on the radar. God its so bull ****. I'd take a point of the score just because this stupid level is even in the game.

EDIT: man seriously, I just rage quit so hard. Now I can't feel part of my thumb cause I god so pissed off at the controller 0_o

Sounds lovely, guess it is a good thing I mainly play online multiplayer and have put limited time in the single player.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »

What difficulty level are you playing on?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2010, 10:48:27 PM »

They actually made it WORSE than the same sequence in the N64 Goldeneye? Good lord almighty.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »
A few rounds with bad hosts made me reconsider my position on friend codes, can't be that much worse.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2010, 12:59:35 PM »
A few rounds with bad hosts made me reconsider my position on friend codes, can't be that much worse.

I'm in England, so if you want, we could swap codes and test how the game performs over that smaller distance. Then, if all goes well, you could try branching out to North American players.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2010, 09:31:46 PM »
FAVOR:

Can somebody get me a high-quality scan (at least 300 dpi) of the cover? Activision sent me the disk in a paper sleeve. I have an empty Wii box, but I don't have the game's cover. The Cover Project hasn't put it up yet. If somebody could scan it, then PM me, I'll give that person my email address (or, hell, just send it to my NWR email address). Thanks in advance. I'd love to put this game, you know, on my shelf.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
OH MY GOD. **** THE PRICK WHO DESIGNED THE "DEFEND NATALYA" level. OH MY GOD. EAT MY **** you *******. How are there no checkpoints in this? There are so many bad guys and half the time, even when they are shooting they don't appear on the radar. God its so bull ****. I'd take a point of the score just because this stupid level is even in the game.

It is quite ridiculous... I'm playing on Operative and having issues.  Had to walk away from it... got too frustrating.  Talk about a difficulty spike.  Mainly because it seems the level is built around magnifying minor design flaws and some sort of pseudo timer - I still haven't figured it out.

Control wise, I use the Wii Remote + Nunchuck on Experienced 3 with modifications to the ADS Horizontal and Vertical sensitivities.  Doing so made aiming down the sights much more fluid.  Works well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:15:12 AM by Shecky »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2010, 03:01:25 AM »
The Control level was pretty easy in the Nintendo 64 Goldeneye once you figured out the right spot to stand. All you had to do was go up and stand in front of the stairway on the second floor, every guard comes through there so you just blast them as they come. All you have to do is make sure none get by you when you have to run for ammo.

If this version has no such trick, then it must be tough.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »
The Control level was pretty easy in the Nintendo 64 Goldeneye once you figured out the right spot to stand. All you had to do was go up and stand in front of the stairway on the second floor, every guard comes through there so you just blast them as they come. All you have to do is make sure none get by you when you have to run for ammo.

If this version has no such trick, then it must be tough.

The AI is improved, they appear all around you as I have found.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Seacor

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
***Deleted by poster***
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:56:09 AM by Seacor »

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 29, 2010, 03:54:31 AM »
OH MY GOD. **** THE PRICK WHO DESIGNED THE "DEFEND NATALYA" level. OH MY GOD. EAT MY **** you *******. How are there no checkpoints in this? There are so many bad guys and half the time, even when they are shooting they don't appear on the radar. God its so bull ****. I'd take a point of the score just because this stupid level is even in the game.

It is quite ridiculous... I'm playing on Operative and having issues.  Had to walk away from it... got too frustrating.  Talk about a difficulty spike.  Mainly because it seems the level is built around magnifying minor design flaws and some sort of pseudo timer - I still haven't figured it out.

Control wise, I use the Wii Remote + Nunchuck on Experienced 3 with modifications to the ADS Horizontal and Vertical sensitivities.  Doing so made aiming down the sights much more fluid.  Works well.

I dunno I did that on my first try, maybe on a harder difficulty it would be more annoying, but it is quite forgiving on operative.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline lansed

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »

I dunno I did that on my first try, maybe on a harder difficulty it would be more annoying, but it is quite forgiving on operative.

im playing it on the second highest level and it is quite unrelenting. eventhe AI come out of diferent doors all the time depending on where you go to at start of level.
and if thats not bad enough, they randomly rope down from the roof and through the windows as well.
i gave up after 3 days solid trying. needs check points everytime natalya moves to a new console.
cant wait to see the vid on youtube of someone cruising through it no worries  :-\