Author Topic: Goldeneye Wii  (Read 101708 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Goldeneye Wii
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
Looks like I might be getting Goldeneye sooner than I expected.  For those keeping score at home, my PS3 has now died for the third time since I bought it with the Yellow Light of Death (no telling if it's overheating this time or a corrupted HDD).  If I can't get it fixed quickly (and ****ing PERMANENTLY this time!), I'm going to cancel my Black Ops pre-order and put that on Goldeneye.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
Just a quick question: is it possible to team up with other people on your friend list in online matches?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »
You can create a party. I haven't been able to form one as of yet... just added some people so hopefully soon.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
I like the sound the levels getting bigger and more complex as you up the difficulty level, something I was a big fan of in Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2, but strangely doesn't seem to have been used in anything else since.  I'm still not going to buy the game at launch, but it's something to look into somewhere down the line.
I am certainly not the only one who wants a Timesplitters pack made for Wii... anyone? I loved the objective based missions, though some of them got on my nerves.

I wouldn't be adverse to a Timesplitters compilation, though I'd prefer Timesplitters 4 was a reality or they'd just remake Timesplitters 2.

I loved the sheer variety in all the different levels in TS 2. You can go from western to 1920's mobster to cold war Russia in minutes. I would go for an update of TS2 but a brand new one would be even better.

I'm still favoring Black Ops but I agree with Brood that I may get this one sooner than I originally intended. It also depends on the number of people on the site that choose one over the other.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
Wells Stratos you need to get this of course! I mean Call of Duty is Call of Duty.

Also this is the one I got and we need to reignite that once intense rivalry we had in The Conduit.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
This doesn't have WiiSpeak or Headbanger support. Ops has both plus text chat.

Ops is still > Goldeneye at this point but we will see.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
The more I play the multiplayer, the more I like the maps. I am still getting lost on them, but that's my own fault. They are quite well designed.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2010, 02:58:41 AM »
Just a quick question: is it possible to team up with other people on your friend list in online matches?
Yes, you can form a party based on folks in your friends list.

Pretty solid online multiplayer experience so far.  I stumbled upon a selection for online leaderboards - Totally surprised me as none of the reviews I read even mentioned this.  You can see all players Rank, Experience points, total time played, hit accuracy, Wins and Eliminations.  You can also filter the leaderboards to see just the folks in your friends list.  Pretty nice of the devs to include this functionality.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:11:26 AM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2010, 07:29:23 AM »

There is this thing called Skype which sounds 1000% better.

The online is excellent from what I have played. Very CoDish but I love all the awards you get at the end that are straight Goldeneye. Online was 100% smooth with no lag from what I could tell, graphics are a bit worse but not that bad. Lots of unlockable things from multiplayer as you rank up it looks.

If anyone was looking for a great FPS on Wii with an amazing single player and multiplayer this is it for sure.
~David~

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »
yeah online is pretty decent, the maps are well design and i have not experienced too much lag.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
Very happy the reviews have been so positive! Going to join you guys online when I get it! For real this time!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »

Yeah but Ops is a port of sorts, this is an exclusive experience on Wii. So that has to count for something!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »

Yeah but Ops is a port of sorts, this is an exclusive experience on Wii. So that has to count for something!

Seriously, I can play a better version of Black Ops on 3 other systems I own.
~David~

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »
Have you guys come across any hackers thus far?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »
Have you guys come across any hackers thus far?

Were hackers a major problem in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition?  I know they just destroyed the Conduit, but I hadn't heard anything about MW: RE.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
A note about parties: just because you are partied up does not mean you will be on the same team. Kraken and I played several games last night and about half of the time we were on opposing teams.

I think it is pretty obvious that I am not used to playing FPSs on the Wii. I had to pull out my wavebird just to get some kills. Single player though, I am using the wiimote. I find it extremely handy that the game can change what controller you are using on the fly.

A note for anyone playing split screen using different controllers: Put any GC controllers in ports that do not match up with positions taken by Wiimotes. If a wiimote is on pos. 1, plug in a wavebird in port 2. The GC controllers take precedence over the wiimotes instead of just being reassigned internally.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
A note about parties: just because you are partied up does not mean you will be on the same team. Kraken and I played several games last night and about half of the time we were on opposing teams.

I think it is pretty obvious that I am not used to playing FPSs on the Wii. I had to pull out my wavebird just to get some kills. Single player though, I am using the wiimote. I find it extremely handy that the game can change what controller you are using on the fly.

A note for anyone playing split screen using different controllers: Put any GC controllers in ports that do not match up with positions taken by Wiimotes. If a wiimote is on pos. 1, plug in a wavebird in port 2. The GC controllers take precedence over the wiimotes instead of just being reassigned internally.

The Conduit was the same way, if you don't have the full group and play with random people you get paired randomly.

I was surprised how well I did after not playing Wii in so long.
~David~

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »
Picked up the game, and just put it in to start playing.  I'm going to test out the Classic Controller Pro first.  I'm really not in the mood to spend an hour playing with bounding boxes and continually tweaking sliders (which is what happened with Conduit), and this is the first Wii game I've played that supports the Pro outside of the VC.  Looking forward to this one, as it looks like it might finally be the FPS that has the kind of singleplayer campaign I crave (Timesplitters, Perfect Dark, etc.).

EDIT: Yeah, I think I'll stick with this control scheme.  It feels really good.  This game has extraordinarily generous auto-aim with the Iron Sights, too.  :confused;   Anyone else finding the text practically microscopic?  I'm playing on a 40+ in. TV and I'm finding a lot of the text really difficult to read.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:04:01 PM by broodwars »

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
Picked up the game, and just put it in to start playing.  I'm going to test out the Classic Controller Pro first.  I'm really not in the mood to spend an hour playing with bounding boxes and continually tweaking sliders (which is what happened with Conduit), and this is the first Wii game I've played that supports the Pro outside of the VC.  Looking forward to this one, as it looks like it might finally be the FPS that has the kind of singleplayer campaign I crave (Timesplitters, Perfect Dark, etc.).

EDIT: Yeah, I think I'll stick with this control scheme.  It feels really good.  This game has extraordinarily generous auto-aim with the Iron Sights, too.  :confused;   Anyone else finding the text practically microscopic?  I'm playing on a 40+ in. TV and I'm finding a lot of the text really difficult to read.

I did the same i even went as far as to playing the first two missions with the wiimote and nunchuck, but its too painful, playing with the classic controller pro made much enjoyable and plus for online its the only way if you want to kill someone, specially with the weak hit detection.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »
I buy FPSs on the Wii so I don't have to play them with dual analog controls. Without the pointer controls there's no reason for me to play a Wii FPS instead of one of the much better games in the genre on either of the other consoles.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »
I am using Wii Remote and edited the controls for about 5 minutes and got them perfect.

Work amazing online too, have done well every round I've played.

I don't want to play with dual analog on Wii when there are better shooters on dual analog if I wanted. Honestly I hate dual analog and that's why I play PC games.
~David~

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
Just completed the Airstrip level.  So far, I'm really liking this game.  It feels very cinematic with good production values (nice to see some of the little details I was fond of in Dead Space Extraction make it here, like seeing Bond's arms and legs as he navigates obstacles), the controls (at least on CCP) feel really good, and I like how stealth works in this game and how the game's level design is built around it.  My only nitpicks at the moment are that the graphics are kind of muddy (yeah, I know...the hardware.  It does kind of work with this story, though), the hit detection is a little suspect (I've killed guys with shots from automatic weapons that were nowhere near contact), and sometimes it can be kind of hard to figure out what the game wants you to find for the Smartphone objectives.  It basically comes down to playing "Where's Waldo?" with the camera, pointing it all around until you find the magic thingy the game wants you to photograph.

Otherwise, I'm quite satisfied so far.  This feels like a genuine effort to pay homage to the N64 original while still doing very much its own thing.  It feels like a modern shooter with a Bond twist, and that's very much appreciated by me.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
While playing it you know you are not playing a remake, but the level design bring back lots of memories, nice that they put some real effort behind the tittle.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »
I buy FPSs on the Wii so I don't have to play them with dual analog controls. Without the pointer controls there's no reason for me to play a Wii FPS instead of one of the much better games in the genre on either of the other consoles.

You know what's so great, though?  You don't care much for playing FPS games with dual analog controls.  I prefer the ol' standby controls I've used for years on previous consoles and my HD consoles.  Despite our differences, this game lets us both enjoy it however we prefer to play it.  We could even go online and fight each other using our preferred control schemes.  No one is forced to use a control scheme they don't like, something that I can't say about quite a few Nintendo games on Wii.  This is why I get so frustrated with Wii games: just give us the ability to play the game the way we are most comfortable with playing it, and everything's fine.  The focus should be on the game experience, and let the players decide how they want to experience it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:28:27 PM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »
Did you join him when he was in a match, or vice versa? In Call of Duty, if you join a friend when they are in a match, you will not be paired up for team games. In order to always be on the same team, you have to meet up before starting a match. Can you do this in Goldeneye?

Were hackers a major problem in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition?  I know they just destroyed the Conduit, but I hadn't heard anything about MW: RE.
No. Out of all my time with Modern Warfare, I've run into only one hacker. To be fair, the main reason people run into hackers less in Modern Warfare is because there are a lot more people playing it online, so the odds of finding a hacker are much lower.