Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 268604 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #900 on: November 12, 2011, 02:20:48 AM »
I wonder if it will be possible for the Homebrew/Hacker community to develop a PSP emulator for the Vita? The Vita is considerably more powerful, so this might be possible, right? If that happens, then people who own UMD games will be able to transfer their UMD games onto the Vita's hard drive and then play them on the Vita, albeit in an unofficial and unsupported way. They won't need to pay fees to Sony for the privilege of backwards compatibility because the homebrew emulator will allow it for free.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 12, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »
That's pretty much inevitable but it won't be for some kind of transfer. They'll just hack Vita is play pirated PSP games like they already do on PSP.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 12, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »
That's pretty much inevitable but it won't be for some kind of transfer. They'll just hack Vita is play pirated PSP games like they already do on PSP.

That's all the more reason why Sony should allow backwards compatibility free of charge. Because if they don't, and if they charge for it then its just going to promote piracy. People resent having to pay to play things they already legally own, so this is something people are going to think there's nothing morally wrong with doing, and it might just snowball from there. The best thing Sony could do is support their loyal customers and not rape them by charging them for what they already legally own.

The PSP is able to transfer UMD games to a memory stick, right? So from there it should be possible to get it onto the hard drive of the Vita somehow. If Sony doesn't support this then homebrewers are going to make it happen anyway, so its in Sony's best interest to support it.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 27, 2011, 01:43:33 AM »
GameStop has listed prices for PS Vita Accessories
and it's as bad as we thought.
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/ps-vita-memory-cards-and-other-accessories-priced-by-gamestop
4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $29.99
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $44.99
16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99

PlayStation Vita AC Adaptor - $19.99
PS VITA Armor GameCase - $7.99
PS VITA ArmorShell - $12.99
PlayStation Vita Car Adaptor - $17.99
PlayStation Vita Card Case - $9.99
PlayStation Vita Carrying Case - $19.99
PlayStation Vita Cradle - $19.99
PS VITA Crystal Custom Case - $19.99
PlayStation Vita In-ear Headset - $19.99
PS VITA Nerf Armor - $17.99
PlayStation Vita Portable Charge - $49.99
PlayStation Vita Protective Film (Two Pack) - $14.99
PS VITA Pull N Go Folio - $29.99
PlayStation Vita Starter Kit - $29.99
PS Vita Starter Kit - $24.99
PS Vita Trigger Grip - $17.99
PlayStation Vita Travel Pouch - $19.99
PlayStation Vita USB Cable - $14.99

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:45 AM »
Those memory card prices make my wallet hurt.  And I just know that 32 GB isn't going to be nearly enough space, as I can't even fit all the PSP games I have that I would play on my 8GB ProStick Duo.  I can't even imagine trying to stuff all that many Vita games on less than 24 GB of space.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 27, 2011, 01:47:10 AM »
It's been said before, most likely in this thread, but **** Sony so much for not adopting the SD card standard like everyone else. Even Nintendo managed to do that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 27, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »
Vita profits are to be made in those mem cards.

I'm not sure which source to believe, but between them both, Sony is either breaking even on Vita at it's current price point, or taking a minor loss. But the ass raping from those mem card prices are ridiculous.

You can get an 8GB SD card for LESS THAN $10
you can get a really fast 8GB SD card for less than $30
you can get 32GB SD cards starting at $30

People will have to notice when those proprietary cards are on the shelf next to the Nintendo branded SD cards for 3DS & Wii U with the same sizes at a fraction of the price.
and to think that the mem card is mandatory to play some of the launch games such as Uncharted... I don't see this going over too well once the launch hype dies down.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:14:51 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 27, 2011, 02:17:40 AM »
I wonder how quickly we'll start to see 3rd party memory cards for the Vita that are actually priced reasonably with SD cards. If that happened and those cards were found to be reliable, that would probably be the only way I'd get a Vita.  There's just no point to owning one without the appropriate storage, and those proprietary memory cards are highway robbery.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 27, 2011, 02:24:12 AM »
Screw that, give me an adapter that I can plug a Micro SD into and use it with the system. I doubt Sony would approve, but I'd be willing to turn to the black market if it took that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 27, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »
" Sony is either breaking even on Vita at it's current price point, or taking a minor loss."

Actually major lost, their plan is to recover over an 3 year periord.  Hense the overpriced addon's.  Most of the time it doesn't effect me since I don't buy extra crap that I don't need but this time I'm going have to get at least a MC since you can't save without one. 

Of course I'll still going wait for an price reduction but $280+ tax isn't all that bad if you're an moblie gamer. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the 3DS you do realize it's been hacked since Oct right?  I wonder if nintendo's going live up to it's threat and start brinking consoles come the new firmware update but so far I haven't heard of anyone having their system bricked.  Piracy is just an huge problem on handhelds last generation (hense why Japanese developers stop making US translations). 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #910 on: November 27, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
So the only way I'm getting a Vita in the first... year or so is off a massive (like, 3DS-level) price drop on the main unit and the existence of a microSD->Vita adapter. Good to know.

Then again, I'm only getting a PSP this Christmas so I'm more than willing to wait. At least I know that I won't have to look for game cards since everything's on download services day-and-date.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
Of course I'll still going wait for an price reduction but $280+ tax isn't all that bad if you're an moblie gamer. 
Really?  By that estimate the 3DS was +$30 More Reasonable at launch.

Most people are going to buy a Vita for the Same reason they bought a PSP.  Street Cred.  Plain and simple.  As Tech it seems cool but, as an entertainment investment Sony has an upheld battle with me on what I know today to convince me they are not going to keep mugging me in an alley and then raping me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 27, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
I'm not necessarily opposed to paying $250 for the hardware, but if I need to spend another $70+ before I even get to buy games then no deal. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 27, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
It's been said before, most likely in this thread, but **** Sony so much for not adopting the SD card standard like everyone else. Even Nintendo managed to do that.

Sony could have went with SD if they wanted to. They just don't want to, though. Sony is an electronics company and they make proprietary media formats for a living, so they feel compelled to push out a new proprietary media format with each and every new system they make. Over the years they've come out with Minidisc, Betamax, UMD, Bluray, Memory Stick, and now this overpriced Vita crap. Of all these only Bluray ended up being a success and catching on, but Sony is relentless in coming out with new overpriced proprietary formats all the time.

Somehow they managed to get lucky and strike gold with Bluray, but that's the only time it happened. This Vita format will probably end up like UMD in that it will only be supported by the Vita and nothing else. Ever. So its a dead end technology which will never move beyond that one device, but its a way of milking more money out of consumers and forcing them to purchase some memory card that are going to be useless relics in about 5 years. How many people out there still use Minidisc or Betamax?

I'm not necessarily opposed to paying $250 for the hardware, but if I need to spend another $70+ before I even get to buy games then no deal. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.

The hardware will inevitably see price drops. These Vita cards though will probably remain perpetually overpriced for the entire life of the product. Although eventually, I can see it being possible to buy a Vita bundle with a modest sized card bundled in with it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:18:23 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
Sony didn't really strike gold with Bluray.

But they did trojan horse it into 10's of millions of homes by risking the Playstation brand on it's inclusions.

I really don't think Sony makes very much money off of Bluray considering that in order to get it as a standard, they had to make a consortium with probably close to 20 other companies who all take a share of the profits.

Bluray may have beaten out HDDVD and become the HD disc based standard, but DVD is still king (for movies)..... for now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 27, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
I don't think Bluray will ever be more than a niche market, albeit a decently sized one. I think a lot of people are going to skip right from DVD to digital downloads/streaming.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
I know I have.

I have netflix and I have my torrents.

Netflix for movies all the stuff I missed in TV's past and my torrents to keep me current on TV present.

By the time Bluray takes a majoprity share of the disc market, it is possible that it will be because people are abandoning the disc and not because Bluray is winning over the DVD market. Hi-speed internet will hopefully more widespread and HD streaming will be more common.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 27, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »
The market for physical discs is only going to continue to shrink. Studio stubbornness in regard to Netflix and other streaming services may slow that process, but it's inevitable.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 27, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »
Bluray may never overtake DVD as far as movies go, but with video games I think that will happen. The next generation of consoles will probably all use it. There will always be a market for tangible media, because people like to physically own something and not have to pay a subscription fee in order to access it, or worry about online servers eventually being shut down or whatever. You can't trust that digital content will always be accessible, but if you have a DVD or Bluray as long as you take care of it you should be able to use it for the rest of your life.

Not to mention that retailers like Walmart and Gamestop depend on physical media, and people don't like waiting to download something 20gb in size when instead they could just drive to a brick and mortar store and within 10 minutes have it as opposed to 10 hours or more of waiting for a download to finish.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:08:59 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 27, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
Actually not really, ISP are complaining about costs again and I see them trying to cap the bandwidth limit again, I only have two choices in ISP and both of them are talking about it in my area (TW and Verizon). 

The disk format is going continue for another 5-10 years easy if pricing continues to climb upwards.  And the actually number of people with broadband is still shirking in the states. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 27, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
What is considered Broadband still really isn't fast enough to cope with downloads that are 10-20gb in size. At some point in the future there will probably be internet speeds able to download files that large in a few minutes, but right now it takes hours and hours.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 27, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
Frankly the crossover point is when its just as quick to download a game as it is to go to the store.  The other crossover point is that you can do the downloading while doing something else with your system to cover the buying from amazon folks.  Having sales like Steam does doesn't hurt either.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 27, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
I've downloaded 7+GB files in the matter of an hour or so.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm think i've seen my downloads get up to 3MB/s at some points
at that speed, I could download a little over 10GB in an hours time.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »
Sadly, most people throughout America still don't have access to real broadband. If they do, it's not a choice, it's Russian roulette between a couple of monopolies that the local manciple created. Infrastructure is a joke, because telecoms and cable companies are allowed to put forth the least amount of effort possible, while nonetheless charging a premium. With that comes a strong push for usage-based billing, deep-packet inspection, and an overall goal of artificial scarcity to drive profits even higher.

And let us not forget that many of these service providers also create and distribute media through competing channels, like cable television. The bias reeks. They don't want to see that die off because they have control over it. They want the internet to become a passive experience just like everything else. No thought, no control. That's why you see full scale propaganda campaigns against simple things like net net neutrality. That's why media companies are buying off politicians to speak ever-so-favorably about things like the SOPA and Protect IP bills. That's why the DOJ and Homeland Security can illegally seize foreign domain names at will.

Make no mistake. The market has been moving in that direction for a very long time. It'd already be there if it weren't for the aforementioned dinosaurs kicking and screaming about a loss of control. They fear competition and change. They've shown that they'll do whatever is necessary to maintain their stranglehold on these markets. The scary thing is that most people don't care one way or another. So long as they have their Soma and their Orgy-Porgies, they're fine. That's why they willingly barricade themselves into passive experiences by using corporate portals like AOL, or more recently, Facebook.

Will the market ever get there? Hopefully. If adequate resources were actually diverted to building up infrastructure, that would be a great start. Beyond that, we need to keep all of the "old money" out of the equation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:43:55 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #924 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
They legally seize domain names. SOPA is good for everyone except people who pirate media or support those who do.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20