Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129075 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #475 on: May 31, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
I was throwing in power with the "better" yes, but that's basically how the article ranks the phones. I was just pointing out that the Atrix is a better phone than the Charge, yet they put the iPhone 4 higher than the Atrix on AT&T, and it's not even listed on their Verizon list. My point is - if it's really so great, then it should be at the top of both lists. No, I do not like Apple products, but I will admit that the iPad 2 is a pretty incredible piece of hardware.

Stratos, make an account on forums.xda-developers.com, they have just about every Windows Mobile and Android phone there is. I believe in order to root the Bravo you just download a 1-click app from the market.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 04, 2011, 08:45:12 AM »
Anyone got some recommendations for apps? Do I need to worry too much about what permissions apps ask for?

I don't need an app to play music on my phone, do I? This is all so new and exciting. lol, feel like a kid in the candy shop with a $20 bill.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 04, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
Pandora is a good music streaming app.

Google just invited me to to Google Music, not sure if you signed up or that or not.

I would suggest Google Goggles or Shop Saavy
- Bar Code scanning and general item identification

RingDroid
-make custom ringtones from the music on your phone.

DroidLight
-Turns your phones flash into a flashlight. Not sure if it would work with your phone though.
but there is another version that turns your screen into a colored light of you choice too.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 04, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
You got invited? Where's my invite at? This is bullshit, google.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 04, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
I think I got 2 separate invites.

one for my gmail account and one for my one of my comcast accounts

But i'll have to double check that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 05, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
I got Pandora going and I love it on there.

I'll check out RingDroid.

Got any good sound packs to refer? I really want some game sounds for my notifications and ring tones.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 05, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Slacker Radio used to be pretty awesome, but it seems they strip features every time they make a new version, so that you'll pay for the service. It's basically the same thing as Pandora, but with more options. The worst thing about Pandora is the audio quality, if I remember it's something like 92kbps or something, there are no highs or lows. If you just like certain genres of music, then Xiia Live is awesome, it's a Shoutcast player for Android. Just wait for when Kinoma Play finally launches on Android - I'm not big on paid apps for phones, but I'd happily pay the $15-30 it usually runs. It basically turns your phone into a pretty full fledged multimedia device - Shoutcast, YouTube, BBC, podcasts, all types of videos, etc. It's awesome.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 05, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
Leaked video tutorials show purported Droid 3

Just watched these videos. The Droid 3 is looking like a pretty sweet device. The third video briefly shows the new keyboard and it looks like a decent improvement. How is the battery life on other Motorola Android phones, namely the Droid 2?

From all the research I've done, I like the webOS platform the most. It looks like the most user friendly, but it will likely have the worst support out of the phones I'm considering. However, since HP bought Palm, I have a bit more confidence in the platform. HP isn't my favorite company, but they have the capital to support their $1.2 billion investment.

The Blackberry Bold 9930 is more of the same. I'm familiar with what a Blackberry offers and I'm satisfied with it. My problem is that everyone I know who had/has Blackberry phones, replaced or is planning on replacing it with Android so there goes one advantage (BBM). Also, RIM upped the specs significantly but included a smaller battery so I'm weary that one of its other advantages is less of one. I currently use a Blackberry Bold 9700. The battery life has decreased in the roughly 19 months I've owned phone, but it still lasts about 2 days without needing a charge since I rarely talk on the phone.

After viewing those videos, the Droid 3 is currently the frontrunner, surpassing the HP Pre 3 which I haven't really seen or heard from since HP announced it in February. The Droid 3 just looks like a beast. It's like Motorola took the Droid 2, injected it with steroids and taught it to use the Force. To me, the (rumored) specs are unreal since I've never had a state-of-the-art super magic smartphone before. I'm pretty sure other Android phones outpace it spec wise (the Atrix may be more powerful though I'm too lazy to compare). Apparently, it's not a 4G phone which is fine by me. I can wait a contract cycle for the state of 4G to improve in terms of price and battery life. I'll just be glad to get the hell off of AT&T blackhole service. I'm worried about the Droid 3's battery life and I've heard it may ship with Android 2.2 Froyo instead of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. I've read too many reports of phones getting bricked from downloading the latest version of the OS. This happened to a friend of mine when he bought his Droid X late last year. It gets taken care of eventually but I'd rather not deal with it. I would want the latest version so maybe I should wait for Android Ice Cream Sandwich. I believe my contract with AT&T is up in November though I have been considering paying the cancellation fee just to be done with them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »
If you plan on cancelling your plan, sign up for your new service and port your number over first, if you don't you'll lose it forever.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 06, 2011, 12:51:19 AM »
Not a Verizon phone but I picked up a mint condition HTC HD2 yesterday (with box, charger, and rubber case) for $50 yesterday. Flashed the latest port of the Nexus One Gingerbread ROM, and it's pretty fucking awesome, even Netflix works. My wife recently switched to H2O (prepaid AT&T), next month we're gonna try out Simple Mobile (prepaid T-Mobile), and soon I'll be able to get her actual prepaid T-Mobile for a ridiculously low price, with unlimited everything (including 4G...err HSPA internet)...$50/month, possibly even less.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
Nevermind, the Droid Bionic is still coming...and now I wish I waited. 4.5" qHD screen, etc...http://www.androidcentral.com/more-droid-bionic-pictures-leak-show-45-inch-display

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 06, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »
That phone is enormous. The Droid 3's 4 inch screen seems just the right size for me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:16 AM »
Still not as big as the Dell Streak 5 (or 7). I replaced the LCD and digitizer on one of those recently...what a beast.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:34 PM »
Verizon dropping unlimited data plans next month, moving to a tiered system. If reports are to be believed, 2 GB will run you $30.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
Well, I guess I need to make a decision soon.  I'm thinking about a Droid X2, but I've been wishy-washy for a while because I've never owned a smart phone before.  I mean, I've been debating this since the Droid 2 came out.

What will happen to people on unlimited plans before then?  Are they in the clear until their contract expires?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
I read about this yesterday. We better be grandfathered in on existing plans. And an unlimited internet plan better mean 3G & 4G like the Verizon rep told me.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »
That's why I got the Thunderbolt when I did, supposedly this was going to happen a while ago, so I could have held out, but nothing better (at least 4G-wise) came out since it, so I'm still happy with my decision. Droid X2 is awesome though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
Why do many people hate Motoblur? I'm hearing varying accounts of this. Some say it's not that bad any more but was really annoying on the Droid 1 for a variety of reasons. Others say it's still bad. However, they seem to be the same people who do all kind of crazy **** like load custom ROMs with their phones that I would never do and also complain about the locked bootloader which I'm almost entirely sure wouldn't even matter to me. Is Motoblur really that awful?

Also, I think in my never-ending quest to find the best phone for my needs I've all but crossed the HP Pre 3 off my list, leaving the Droid 3 as the only real phone left standing. The specs are so last summer and it'd be the Blackberry Bold 9700 for the next 2 years all over again. I like that HP controls webOS so updates would come quickly and directly as opposed to every company that uses Android, fucks around with it and then trickles out updates Google made months earlier. That said, I've been reading rumors about the next Nexus phone and it's apparently a beast. It doesn't have a physical keyboard but it supposedly will come with stock Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich and since it's the "Google phone" I can presumably download OS updates pretty much as soon as Google posts them. If I get the Droid 3, I'll probably switch to Verizon (probably around July 5 to qualify for the unlimited data plan. I supposedly have 1 week to switch phones after buying it so I figured I'd get the Droid Charge then trade it for the Droid 3 which is rumored to come out on July 7. Otherwise, I'll let my AT&T contract end, then switch over to Verizon as soon as the Nexus 4G comes out. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:06:59 PM by Adrock »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
This will affect me if I switch to Verizon next year when I get a new phone, but since I switched to the 2 GB plan on AT&T I'll only be getting screwed in the sense that I'll be paying $30 instead of $25 for the same amount of data, and on a slower network.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
I have a Moto Droid X and I don't know if it's MotoBlur or Verizon's customizations, the phone itself or a combo of all 3, but the phone sometimes lags. Sometimes the camera will stop working. Sometimes I will snap a photo and it will take so long that I had enough time to turn the camera around, slap the screen a few times, hit the home button and then go into full on rant noise before the camera made the camera noise and completely missed the shot I was trying to take. Sometimes I'm forced to restart the phone because the lag is just infuriating. I'm pretty sure it's software related, but I've never gotten around to wiping the phone and going with a stock android OS, so I won't ever really be sure.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
The upgrade to 2.3 has helped with mine, but what started off as a nice, great phone has definitely been made into something less worthwhile thanks to the slow customizations Verizon and/or Motorola has made. It's sad when my phone is more powerful than several on the market, but runs apps in the mid-tier. Now it's actually in the middle with all these later releases, and with the 2.3 upgrade, it finally acts like it should, power-wise.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #497 on: June 22, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
Why do many people hate Motoblur? I'm hearing varying accounts of this. Some say it's not that bad any more but was really annoying on the Droid 1 for a variety of reasons.
Motoblur was never on the Droid 1...
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
Whoops, I meant Droid 2. That pesky 1 key is right next to the 2 key I wanted to press. One thousand apologies for this most heinous transgression against you and your family.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2011, 12:17:04 AM »
This will affect me if I switch to Verizon next year when I get a new phone, but since I switched to the 2 GB plan on AT&T I'll only be getting screwed in the sense that I'll be paying $30 instead of $25 for the same amount of data, and on a slower network.
Verizon is faster than AT&T in most markets, since AT&T doesn't have 3G service anywhere even close to as expansive as Verizon. If you're talking 4G, then Verizon wins again because AT&T doesn't even have 4G anywhere yet. They have HSPA (in some areas), but it's not really fair to call that 4G (especially since if and when the T-Mobile merger goes through they'll be going to LTE). Supposedly by Summer they'll have LTE in all of...4 cities (where Verizon already has it in 74 cities).

I've only had a little bit of experience with Motoblur, but I think it's fair to say that it sucks.