Author Topic: 3D Dot Game Heroes = Legend of Zelda?  (Read 10742 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Dot Game Heroes = Legend of Zelda?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
I don't give a **** if it's a clone, I want this game.

And my point was you shouldn't, zelda clones (with effort) tend to be good, no?

What I meant is that I'm interested in this cube-pixel like visual representation of gameplay. I don't give a damn if it's a clone of Zelda or not.

So we both agree you shouldn't care if its a clone or not? We're back to where we started? LOL
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »
I'm too tired to even care right now.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 10:57:55 AM »
But not too tired to post :P

/silly argument even though we're on the same side
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »
haha I was really tired, and I did want to post something meaningful.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »
This looks a lot more like Deadly Towers than Zelda to me.  The items and some enemies are obviously from Zelda, but the landscapes and character movement are very reminiscent of Deadly Towers.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:37 AM »
Can't wait for this guy to come out over here.  Atlus wins again.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
sigh..... another game I would buy if I had a PS3.

How generous do you think my Secret Santa will be this year?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »
PS3 buying time?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 02:02:04 AM »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
I just don't understand how there isn't some huge lawsuit over this game...

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/04/08/link-invades-3d-dot-games-hero.aspx

This is more of a rip off than Nyko's controller.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 03:50:05 PM »
I just don't understand how there isn't some huge lawsuit over this game...

Same reason there isn't a huge lawsuit over the create-a-fighter mode in SoulCaliber IV--it's all user generated content.

Link isn't in the game; you have to create him yourself.  In fact, the article you linked to even says so.

Disclaimer: This is NOT an official 3D Dot game Heroes video. Let it be known that this version of Link custom was created by me, and cannot be found in the game in any way, shape, or form. Atlus is smarter than that. Additionally, the beautiful music isn’t from the game either. At all. It’s “Title (The Legend of Zelda)” by Shogo Sakai from the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Soundtrack.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »
The creator changed the main sprite and the music - and this looks/feels nearly exactly like a Zelda game.

If I took, say, Super Mario Bros. and changed Mario to Link and added some classic Zelda music - it still wouldn't play anything like a Zelda adventure.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
The Legend of Zelda music was added to the video...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »
I think the more important question is why hasn't Nintendo done this themselves? It looks to be a pretty brilliant concept, actually.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
I think the more important question is why hasn't Nintendo done this themselves? It looks to be a pretty brilliant concept, actually.

What would be the point when they've already spent the last 20 years remaking the original Zelda? *rimshot*
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
I picked up my copy today, and I just completed the first dungeon.  Yeah, this game's pretty much what I expected as well, and to be honest  it's one that I probably can't play for more than a couple hours at  a time. For one thing, while this art style looks really good in the  dungeons, out on the field and up close it just looks ugly. This also  looks like a game that will be good to listen to podcasts while  playing, because as much as this game's music tries to imitate The  Legend of Zelda there's just no substitute for the real thing. The  music just gets obnoxious.

What surprises me, considering this game was (in Japan) published by the folks who made  Demon's Souls, is how strangely not that difficult the game is. Yeah,  the game can slip away from you really quickly, but so long as you're  careful your first Uber Sword of Utter Ownage is more than enough for  just about anything. Of course, it probably helps that for the first  time in a long time, I pretty much spent the first 1 1/2 hours or so  just messing around, exploring, and upgrading my sword. I highly  suggest btw that if you're going to use the Dash Boots, you upgrade  your sword with Piercing Ability or the Dash is practically useless  (the first solid object your humongous sword touches will repel you  backwards).

Weird thing about the last temple, though: I could have sworn I got all  the keys, yet there's still a door back there I couldn't open. Guess  I'll have to come back later with more keys.

So far the game's ok. Nothing exceptional (and not as funny as I  expected either, though I love the answer I got when I said "no" upon  reaching the sword) but entertaining enough I suppose.  Atlus definitely made the right call making this a budget title at only $40.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:33:25 PM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:19 AM »
Well, I beat the final two (extremely wussy) final bosses to complete the game (without officially dying, btw).  That last dungeon, though, was a royal chore.  It was just 2+ hours of running through dungeon sections and bosses I've already done once.  The ending is very "meh".

I'm currently not sure if I'm going to go for the Platinum.  I've heard horror stories about how brutal the process of completing all those Minigames perfectly is to get the All Swords trophy, but I am set up to take it on if I so choose.  The real breaking point with me is that to Platinum this game, you have to play through entire game 4 times, 3 times (but still 4 times through the final dungeon) if you have the foresight (as I did) to place a save before you rescue the princess.  Oh, and one of those runs is on a harder difficulty where the enemies do much more damage, and the other is on a difficulty where anything in the game instant-kills you.  Yeah, I like this game, but that's a bit more than I'm willing to go through, and you're looking at the guy who Platinum-ed Final Fantasy XIII.

Overall I'm satisfied with the game.  It's reasonably long, it's fairly difficult at times, there's plenty to do, and in a way it brought back a certain appreciation for 2D Zelda I haven't had in a while.  And unlike Zelda, money actually have meaning in this game, as you frequently need to purchase potions, warp items, and quest items.  The game's biggest problem, though, is that it is a game just completely defined by the series it's ripping off: the Zelda franchise.  The only new element it brings to the table is the ludicrous size of the swords when at full health, and while it's amusing and awesome at times it isn't that big a deal.  The commercials Atlus put out would have you believe that this is some sort of parody game for the Zelda franchise and much of 8-bit gaming.  While there is some of that in minor dialogue and whatnot, for the most part this game plays it completely straight and earnest.  So in the end, the game just has no strong identity of its own, and mostly just makes me want to play a new 2D Zelda game.  The dungeons also aren't very memorable, not to mention not spectacularly well-designed though the puzzles can be interesting.   This is also a guide game, where most of the sidequests are time-sensitive and the game never gives you an indication that this is so, so if you want to do most of the sidequests you have to follow a guide.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
Do you think i would gather an appreciation of the game if i rent it for 2 days?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
Do you think i would gather an appreciation of the game if i rent it for 2 days?

I'm not sure.  To be honest, I didn't really like the game until I reached the 2nd or 3rd temple, but it's one that grew on me over time.  I guess it really depends on how much nostalgia you have for original Legend of Zelda/Link to the Past-style Zelda titles.  I have no nostalgia for them or the 8-bit era, so I was banking on the humor to carry the game.  When it became apparent how sincere the game (mostly) is, it took a long time for me to start appreciating the game's mechanics and getting used to the game's love for a certain amount of tedium. 

I suppose a rental is probably a good idea, though.  In 2 days you'll easily see all this game has to offer.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and if you do play it be sure to download and install Gamespy's "Link" model and turn the in-game color saturation up 2 points.  That makes all the difference in appreciating the game's visuals.  For some reason, the designers chose to make the game ugly by default.  :confused;
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:23:32 PM by broodwars »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
All the talk about this game got me to download Neutopia off the Virtual Console.