Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 622952 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #850 on: May 03, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Remember the first time doing a backflip, firing a bow or riding a horse in OOT? It was mostly because how well done the controls were (at the time) that made the game so great.

That's the only thing I want from this new game. Controls that feel remarkable.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #851 on: May 03, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
Please place the Wii Remote face-down on a flat surface first.

You will be required to do this every time you open a chest containing rupees you can't carry cuz your wallet is full.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 03, 2010, 03:04:21 PM »
I'd be so pissed if that happened.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #853 on: May 03, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »
That's my big worry, too. It's pretty clear that Wii Sports + was a testing ground for Zelda things. I think it would be funny if they added Balance Board support, too. One of Link's new items? A Segway.

But yeah, if I have to calibrate the stupid Wii Motion Resort every time I whip out the Fairy Bow, I'll be annoyed.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 03, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
  Remember the first time doing a backflip, firing a bow or riding a horse in OOT? It was mostly because how well done the controls were (at the time) that made the game so great.

That's the only thing I want from this new game. Controls that feel remarkable. 

That would be great, but I don't think Nintendo considers remarkable controls a priority anymore.  Aside from those that offer classic controller support, every first party Wii game I've played has had SOME sort of hiccup in the controls that has hurt my experience with it.  It feels more like Nintendo is trying to shove motion control down my throat, instead of provide me fine tuned responsive controls that fit the game.

I'll make do if the controls just don't suck.  That's some pretty weak standards to meet but I'd rather play a Zelda with kinda lousy controls than no Zelda at all.  Phantom Hourglass's controls crossed the line for me though, enough that I turned the game off in frustration and didn't buy Spirit Tracks.  That's scary as it shows that even Zelda is not safe.

Nintendo has to design the controls in a game design frame of mind instead of a business frame of mind.  The business frame of mind is going to ask "how can we use Zelda to sell Motion+" and "how can we attract a wider audience".  The game design frame of mind is going to ask "how do we make this game play like a dream".  There's a big difference there.

Zelda will sell if it's GOOD.  They don't need to delve any deeper than that.  Make a GOOD game and design the controls with that and ONLY THAT in mind and it'll be a hit.  If non-gamers don't like Zelda it will be because they don't like the very nature of Zelda gameplay, not because the controls are too complicated.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 03, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
Zelda will sell

I fixed that for you.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 03, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »
@ Ian: Even in Galaxy? I found the shake to spin and pointing actions to not detract one little bit.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 03, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
I fixed that for you.

Don't you think it would have to be a good game though?  A lot of the strength of Nintendo's titles is that they continue to sell for a long period of time.  With poor word of mouth I don't think that would happen.

An important part of Nintendo's success is that they actually make good games.  They always have to remember that.  Making Zelda great is an absolute requirement and should be the highest priority.

And Caterkiller, I don't like the shake spin in Galaxy.  I mean the game is still awesome but when I'm in the thick of a game sometimes the controller moves a bit and shake moves go off when I don't want to.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #858 on: May 03, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »
Just admit your faults.

Same with the tilt platforms in NSMBWii, you're supposed to fight against your own dexterity as part of the challenge, none of that "click until the angle's just right" BS you proposed some time ago.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 03, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »
That's my big worry, too. It's pretty clear that Wii Sports + was a testing ground for Zelda things. I think it would be funny if they added Balance Board support, too. One of Link's new items? A Segway.

I totally want that spin/top/gear tool from Twilight Princess to be in this game with balance board support. Imagine surfing around via gears like that. Could be a brilliant parallel to snowboarding. TP alreay had snowboarding in the ice level. I want to surf gears now on the BB.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #860 on: May 04, 2010, 01:07:06 AM »
I want Link to be able to grapple enemies and devastate them with crushing suplexes.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 04, 2010, 03:24:12 AM »
I want downright amazing mini games
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 14, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
Shigeru Miyamoto talks Zelda Wii
http://www.gamingmedia.de/videos,id335,shigeru-miyamoto.html

something about making Zelda more approachable (referring to the controls) since it has become too complicated.

Also says that the artwork is very representative of the look,feel & story of the game.
They made the controls mechanics before they worked on the look and feel of the game, they usually do it the other way around.
Miyamoto want this game to be surprisingly new and pleasing to the fans.

The game will be a E3 and you will see how fun it is to play. [wish I was going :( ]

translation: NeoGAF

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:11 PM »
man that exercised my language section of my brain, i speak basic german, but not complex german, and then i hear Japanese in the background which reminds me I have to read the Naruto manga.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »
The biggest questio I have for the game is will it be like a first person perspective when the handle the sword fighting? Will it be like Red Steel 2? Red Steel 2 was a very good game, but I would prefer to fight in a third person perspective using motion plus. What ever it is, I know it is going to be very good.

As for the graphics, Monster Hunter 3 is by far the best looking wii game so far, so Nintendo will have to up the anty if they want to avoid being shown up on their own hardware. This makes me think that Nintendo is going to go all out with the graphics for this game and make them surpass Monster Hunter 3.

As for the weapons that Link will be holding, Nintendo may take a cue from Capcom and Monster Hunter 3 and allow Link to wield more weapons than swords and shields. Link may wield axes, hammers, lances and bowguns(crossbow training?) in the game for defense. Of course you have swing the wiimote harder for the hammer to work properly. Basically each weapon has its own set amount of swing force to use.

Like I said before, I want the boss battles in this game to be more massive than anything we have ever seen on a Nintendo console. But I have to asked a question, is it possible to pack in large amounts of boss battles in the style of Shadow of Collossus and God of War 2? If possible, I would want Nintendo to surpass these games as much as possible?

Nintendo needs to bring back the Moblins. Those guys would probably give Link a run for his money. I am curios to see them as a more brutish and menacing adversary for Link.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
Tri looks rather nice I agree, but it is by no means the best seen on the system.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 15, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »
Man those comments really get me excited! I am anticipating this way more than I probably should.

Kytim89 I hate your wishes for this game and then again I don't. The types of things that you long for can only make Zelda so much more interesting. Those are the types of things that make games redundant. Bosses haven't been as big as god of war or shadow of a Collossus, but TP did imitate those boss battles a bit. They were gigantic and for the first time Link could grapple/latch on to a boss and brutally attack them.  If that wasn't God of War/Collosus inspired I don't know what is. More weapons, bigger bosses, that crap can only go so far before you feel the affects of Soul Caliber 4 and Grand Turismo.

When I say "and then again I don't" I mean things like that would be nice, but if that is the focus than the game can only fail. Even if technically it does everything well like TP.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:58:08 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 15, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »
Man those comments really get me excited! I am anticipating this way more than I probably should.

Kytim89 I hate your wishes for this game and then again I don't. The types of things that you long for can only make Zelda so much more interesting. Those are the types of things that make games redundant. Bosses haven't been as big as god of war or shadow of a Collossus, but TP did imitate those boss battles a bit. They were gigantic and for the first time Link could grapple/latch on to a boss and brutally attack them.  If that wasn't God of War/Collosus inspired I don't know what is. More weapons, bigger bosses, that crap can only go so far before you feel the affects of Soul Caliber 4 and Grand Turismo.

When I say "and then again I don't" I mean things like that would be nice, but if that is the focus than the game can only fail. Even if technically it does everything well like TP.

Yes, I totally agree with you in that regard. However, Nintendo seems to have the capacity tp avoid making the game redundant. In Shadow of Collossus when you confront one of the collosi and he is like a sky scrapper compared to your character and you get that feeling of how are you going to defeat something so massive. I just love te feeling of you, the character in the game, being this small fellow in a giant world filled with massive enemies that you are no more of a threat to than a mosquito is to one of us.

As for the graphics of MH3, they are the best that I have seen on a non-HD console. What other wii game has compariable graphics to this game? To me this is the most visually appealing game for the wii so far and I challenge Nintendo to do better for the next Zelda game. We will continue the debate about the graphics of MH3 being the best in its own topic, okay.

As for the weapons, just fighting with swords and bow/arrow along with quest items seems to get too boring, atleast for me. I want Nintendo to mix it up with weapons similar to that of MH3.

As for the armor system I mentioned before, I want one similar to that of MH3(I really like this game ;D ). Basically I want to be able to customize Link's appearance with various armors and clothing that I buy from shops. On a personal note, I used to collect those GI joe actions figures with fabricated clothing and I used to customized their clothing and weapons(yes, weird, go ahead and say it). I want to do the same for Link. Imagine adding a metal, spiked  shoulder pad to Link and a gauntlet over one of his arms.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 15, 2010, 06:41:49 AM »
something about making Zelda more approachable (referring to the controls) since it has become too complicated.

This better not mean it is being dumbed down for the blue ocean crowd. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #869 on: May 15, 2010, 08:30:22 AM »
Wouldn't they just implement some sort of Super Guide and make everything after that difficult?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #870 on: May 15, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »
It usually means the 3 hour tutorial they usually put at the beginning of these ZERUDA games.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
Miyamoto's been talking about making Zelda the upcoming Zelda for the Wii more accessible ever since Twilight Princess came out.  There's nothing really new in this latest interview since a lot of the stuff Miyamoto said is just a rehash of info he's already said in previous interviews.

At least he confirms that Zelda will be playable.  All we know before was that they'd show it off at E3, not if it'd be playable or not.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 15, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »
If it's playable then that gives it a good chance of coming out this year.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 15, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
I am dreading this "simpler" business he is banging on about.  It will probably be on rails.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #874 on: May 15, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
Considering they keep saying it's coming out in 2010, it pretty much would HAVE to be playable if they expected people to believe that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20