Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 619960 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #725 on: April 18, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »
ever since Epona's introduction to Ocarina of Time, I always wanted a vast variety of animals to ride. Horses, Ostriches, Elephants, Camels, llamas, bovindae, Zebras, Sea Creatures, Dragons, Pegasi, Unicorns, Rhinos, Hippos, Giant boars
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »
ever since Epona's introduction to Ocarina of Time, I always wanted a vast variety of animals to ride. Horses, Ostriches, Elephants, Camels, llamas, bovindae, Zebras, Sea Creatures, Dragons, Pegasi, Unicorns, Rhinos, Hippos, Giant boars

TP gave you your wish
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:39 PM »
EasyCure that is probably the best idea I have heard for the vitality sensor.

Hmm do you have any ideas on horseback swordplay and the vitality sensor?

Thank you, and no no ideas that aren't very unique for that particular situation. (You know, like helping your aim)

Wait, that's a lie. If we stopped being stuck on the notion that Link only has one horse (an Epona) and instead there are wild mares throughout Hyrule Field that link can ride.. then that would open up the possability of having to tame one before being able to ride it properly (ie ride it steady enough to be able to use your weapons). Then again that's better suited for a game that isn't Zelda (something like Monster Hunter perhaps?). Then again... we don't know how different this Zelda game will be from others, so who knows if ideas like this will pan out.
Hmm I like the idea. It would make Hyrule field seem less empty. Another idea that would make Hyrule field less empty would be to bring back the underground areas from OOT.
Maybe put some buildings out there.Would that be to out of place?

Thinking over the past overworlds. Zelda 1 was pretty vast and exploratory with hidden secrets to find.Zelda 2 I am not really familar with it but it was vast and it was kinda linear as far as doing things in another way. Someone correct me on this if I am wrong.
Zelda:Link to the Past was kinda small but it had lots of secrets in every screen.With the dual world dynamic it was doubled.
OOT was pretty big and varied.There was I think less secrets to find then in LTTP.
Majora's Mask was kinda small but I think that was because of the 3 Day game mechanic.
Wind waker was vast but kinda empty. The only secrets that you could find was the rings of light and the different underground areas.
Twilight Princess it was pretty big and there wasn't that many things to find as far as secrets.
I think a Link to the past was a good way of compacting the world whild finding many things.
Do you guys think that the recent Zelda overworlds were not really like past Zeldas? If so how would you fix it?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 18, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »
grottos should actually be caves and stuff, not just random looney tune holes in the ground

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 19, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
What would be nice is if Nintendo included exploratory elements from such games as Fable 2 and the Assassins Creed series. I want more towns and cities to explore than the few that were shown in Twilight Princess. Throw in some huge boss battle that push the wii hard ware to its limts and makes Monster Hunter Tri pale in comparison. Replicate Albion onto Hyrule and make the place as expansive as possible. Waste no space at all.

I would not mind being able to customize Link's appearance like his clothing. Battle damage appearing on his out fit would be a plus and being able to add accessories would be good as well.

I would prefer to play as an adult Link. No more child or teen age Link, but a Link with maturity and attitude. Make the game play and story reflect Link's age and make him a respected warrior.

Instead of a cave of ordeals, let's have a colliseum or arena where Link battles very tough enemies for profit. The opponents become increasingly bigger and stronger as the matches go on.

As for transportation, riding Epona would be nice, but riding other animale would be cool. Let Link be able to hook these animals to wagon, where he can make money transporting good and items accros Hyrule.

Maybe Ganon could return, but he has been done to death. Nintendo should introduce a new villian with the same characteristics as Sephiroth.

The master sword should return, of course.

Introduce a mode of flying like airships or even better, a flying machine/ hang glider similar to the one in Assassin's Creed 2.

I can not stress this enough, bring back the Moblins. Those pig warriors were the best enemies. Of course they should be bigger and stronger and formidable warriors that kick Link's behind with little or no trouble. I imagine the battle ox from Yugioh as the basis for the moblins in this installment.

For some reason the final battle of TP where Link and Ganon sword reminds me of the final of Highlander. I could not help but think of Link saying, "There can be only one" as he did the final attack on Ganon.

This may be the longest post I have done on this forum so far.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:56:00 AM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 19, 2010, 03:42:07 AM »
I think we had a conversation about flying vehicles in Zelda some pages back. Ideas like birds, pterodactyls and zeppelins were tossed about to my recollection.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #731 on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:11 AM »
There was a Pegasis as well mentioned as well. Also I thought that something like the Tales of Symphonia transportation would work. Not the exact transport but something like you would be on foot for the first 3rd of the game than something like a land animal for the 2nd act then a flying animal in the 3rd act.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 19, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
Why Kytim why? TP tried many of those things, and yes some were enjoyable like the giant bosses. But again with the mature Link and a world that reflects it? I'm so sick of that. As much as I enjoyed TP some things were just too real, not enough whimsicle fantasy elements for me. I remember thinking to myself, if people built mines in a volcano it would look exactly like the one in TP.

Many looked down on sunshine because of water packs and the "real world" setting. Everyone ate up Galaxy becuase it was completely off the wall and as Ian would say "magical". Nintendo did what all us loser fans were crying about since WW, and all the realistic looking environments and epic boss fights still werent enough, and I think everyone(Nintendo and us) realized that.

Just let Miyamoto and Aonuma do what they want. I would love to see more things in the way of trains under water, and flip floping dungeons. My only true demand is to have flight by animal and not by machine.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #733 on: April 19, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »
Catbuses and Totoros.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »
Do you guys think that the recent Zelda overworlds were not really like past Zeldas? If so how would you fix it?

Prior to the Gamecube era I found that Zelda overworlds felt like they were of huge scope.  In reality they weren't that big but they felt like they were pushing the hardware to the limits.  It was like this was as big as they could go.  With the Cube Zeldas it didn't feel like they were pushing the limits so much anymore.  I've actually noticed this with Nintendo games in general.  Nintendo used to push the hardware to the max, so you used to feel this sense of wonder of how far they could go if they didn't hit this wall.  On the Cube they plateaued.  It was like they found how far they wanted to go but we can see there is further they could go and they choose not to.  How small everything is then becomes very apparent.  Metroid Prime is the exception as I feel Retro pushed the limits so those games felt as big as they could be.

Wind Waker's big problem was that there was so little of anything.  The ocean certainly had scope but each pocket of land felt very small and insignificant.  Twilight Princess improved that except that it was the same damn place as Ocarina of Time.  ARRRGH!!

What I figured would be the direction for Zelda, that they didn't do, was expand beyond Hyrule.  Having an ocean is a good idea, if there are also large land areas to visit.  I figured you would start somewhere about the size of the N64 Zelda worlds, and then you would set sail and visit other island and areas that are roughly the same size.  The idea in the past seemed to be to provide the player with a world to explore, but that was limited by the hardware limitation and without those limits the world could become and feel bigger.  Why couldn't they do what I'm suggesting here?

Zelda II actually had quite a scope because it had a RPG-esque overworld map where you covered a large distance and then entered specific areas.  I think that wouldn't be a bad approach to create a bigger world with more races, more towns, more countries.  With the last few Zeldas it's like here is THE town and THE lake and THE forest.  Why can't there be more than one of these things?  And these days you don't need an actual overworld map to create this scope.  Wind Waker had the right idea in that an ocean can obscure the load times to create the illusion of one big world.  This sort of scope, where it really feels like a big world, can be done now.

The problem is this sort of ambition seems like the sort of thing Nintendo now avoids.  The casuals and non-gamers would not be on board for such an epic title and that would probably discourage Nintendo from doing it.  They'll probably stick to something more TP size, and rely on Motion+ stuff to carry the game.  I just hope they'll have a unique overworld where it doesn't feel like I've seen it before.

The best advice I would give them is to try to make a world - not just some window dressing to connect dungeon A to dungeon B.  Think about what sort of place you would like to explore and go from there, instead of "well we need some water dungeon so we'll have some lake, and we'll need a castle for the last level..."  Not being so rigid with the structure of dungeons would help a lot.  I like the way Super Mario RPG did it where you had to find these seven stars but there wasn't any formal structure to it.  You didn't know which areas had the stars, but in Zelda it's like "8 macguffins, 8 dungeons".

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »
Link should meet a guy named Cid and have him join his quest to save Princess Zelda so that Link can travel across Hyrule upon Cid's airship.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 19, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
I think the negatives of the GC overworlds lie in the details.  The ocean in WW was huge, but it was filled with relatively little.  TP was OoT on steroids, but again there was a lot of empty space.  ALttP and LA, on the other hand, had secrets in close to every screen, and despite the overworlds being small, they felt considerably more full.  I've talked about it before, but I feel that this is what the overworld contributes to the sense of magic and charm.  In those games it feels like every square of space has been specially designed, whereas the latest games are just giant empty spaces with a little charm sprinkled here and there.  So instead of having them expand the scope of the world, I'd prefer them to fill it up first.  This will make the world seem bigger.  To illustrate, I don't measure the distance of the trip between the lake and kakariko by the time it takes to get between them, but by the number of things I pass on my way.

And like Ian says, it would be of benefit to stray from the formula.  Where's the sense of exploration when you finally reach the lake, and already you know what's at the bottom?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 19, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »
Nintendo should introduce a new villain with the same characteristics as Sephiroth.
Where's that picture of the triple facepalm when you need it?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
grottos should actually be caves and stuff, not just random looney tune holes in the ground

Like some of the interconnected caves in TP?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #739 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »
Report to moderator
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
 ::) I have a very strong feeling that a lynch mob is forming for me.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 19, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
TP did have some things that I liked, i was really happy getting on my Boar :P
They didn't have the weapon pickup WW had, but they did have Boars!
Its been a while since I played TP though, and i don't remember TP grottos so much, aside from an ice cavern. A tunnel system would be really cool. If the world was round it would be an awesome way to get to china besides boating :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
::) I have a very strong feeling that a lynch mob is forming for me.

All right everyone, lets form a lynch mob!!!

For Kytim89....

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2010, 04:22:24 AM »
TP did have some things that I liked, i was really happy getting on my Boar :P:
Its been a while since I played TP though, and i don't remember TP grottos so much, aside from an ice cavern. A tunnel system would be really cool. If the world was round it would be an awesome way to get to china besides boating :P:

The tunnels in Mario Sunshine always intrigued me and I wished they were bigger in scope. Having tunnels connecting different parts of Hyrule would be very interesting.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2010, 04:38:11 AM »
What about those warps that were in OOT that could transport you to another part of Hyrule.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 20, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »
those in OOT were good, but like a more Metroid approach of inter-connectivity would be awesome

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 20, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »
I think the negatives of the GC overworlds lie in the details.  The ocean in WW was huge, but it was filled with relatively little.  TP was OoT on steroids, but again there was a lot of empty space.  ALttP and LA, on the other hand, had secrets in close to every screen, and despite the overworlds being small, they felt considerably more full.  I've talked about it before, but I feel that this is what the overworld contributes to the sense of magic and charm.  In those games it feels like every square of space has been specially designed, whereas the latest games are just giant empty spaces with a little charm sprinkled here and there.  So instead of having them expand the scope of the world, I'd prefer them to fill it up first.  This will make the world seem bigger.  To illustrate, I don't measure the distance of the trip between the lake and kakariko by the time it takes to get between them, but by the number of things I pass on my way.

I think this is a good point.  But I also think having the amount of stuff in the 2D games would look weird in a 3D setting.  In the 2D games you only see one screen at a time.  If you could see the grid from Link's perspective and see all these things on the horizon, it would probably look very phony and contrived.  But the amount of stuff is important.  So when designing a new Zelda game they should make sure to have the same amount of stuff between points.  So it instead of five squares to the next area it's 15 but I go by the same amount of stuff.  So it still looks somewhat like something a real place would have but it has the same amount of roadside attractions.

The hub design is pretty lame too.  Why do I need to have this central point that branches off everywhere?  At least Wind Waker didn't have that.  I understand it's more convenient for the player but it looks lame.  If it's more like a big square and I have to cross this to get to that so what?  That's how 2D Zelda did it.  And they always have some quick teleport method anyway.

The 3D Zeldas are designed like an amusement park.  But the 2D Zeldas are more like a city grid.  I think the city grid is the better route to go.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 20, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »
TP did have some things that I liked, i was really happy getting on my Boar :P:
Its been a while since I played TP though, and i don't remember TP grottos so much, aside from an ice cavern. A tunnel system would be really cool. If the world was round it would be an awesome way to get to china besides boating :P:

The tunnels in Mario Sunshine always intrigued me and I wished they were bigger in scope. Having tunnels connecting different parts of Hyrule would be very interesting.
Kind of like the tunnel from the castle to sanctuary in ALttP?  I like this idea, and I think it would be kind of cool to have a dungeon hidden underground, accessible from one of these secret tunnels.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 20, 2010, 06:28:42 PM »
TP did have some things that I liked, i was really happy getting on my Boar :P: :
Its been a while since I played TP though, and i don't remember TP grottos so much, aside from an ice cavern. A tunnel system would be really cool. If the world was round it would be an awesome way to get to china besides boating :P: :

Kind of like the tunnel from the castle to sanctuary in ALttP?  I like this idea, and I think it would be kind of cool to have a dungeon hidden underground, accessible from one of these secret tunnels.

Yeah. I hated how I couldn't figure out how to get back to that tunnel to get to the obvious secret wall with bombs later. I think I figured it out once but I don't remember.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »
TP did have some things that I liked, i was really happy getting on my Boar :P: :
Its been a while since I played TP though, and i don't remember TP grottos so much, aside from an ice cavern. A tunnel system would be really cool. If the world was round it would be an awesome way to get to china besides boating :P: :

Yeah. I hated how I couldn't figure out how to get back to that tunnel to get to the obvious secret wall with bombs later. I think I figured it out once but I don't remember.
You have to push a grave in the graveyard and discover a secret entrance that takes you back there. Makes perfect sense.