Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1056870 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• McNasty was taken :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6275 on: November 01, 2019, 06:14:19 AM »
I probably should watch it one day.  I've heard decent things about them.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 96
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: November 01, 2019, 07:35:39 AM »
Wait, what? Am I the only one who never got this reference? I mean, I remember that scene. I just never put the two together.

It's very subtle - It's not like Uncle Bob couldn't mean a million different things.  You'd need to know my affinity for the movie to ever make the connection.

On the other hand, maybe I just really, really liked Con Air...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHOhfPeO4s
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:37:45 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• Some cunning linguist to help you distinguish what is proper English
  • Score: 72
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6277 on: November 03, 2019, 08:32:43 AM »
I'm a huge Terminator fan (thus the nickname).

Wait, what? Am I the only one who never got this reference? I mean, I remember that scene. I just never put the two together.

I'm also shocked at the revelation.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: November 10, 2019, 06:19:54 AM »
Midway - I hope BNM/nickmitch understands where i come from when i say this.. but some movies feel better in context with paired with a loosely related movie or concept.

The Need for Speed movie makes more sense when you consider it to be a Burnout movie instead. First Man makes more sense when paired with Hidden Figures, because you then get an idea of what we didn't see.

Watch Red Tails (or at least become familiar with the story) with Midway.

Because while this is a very hollywood take on what happened there, there was so many tropes portrayed that began to annoy me by the end: pilot with no fear of death but then suddenly loses his resolve, officer who nobody believes ends up being right, female characters literally sidelined only to hangout with other sidelined female characters worrying about their husbands and more subtle production-related ones like zero non-white people seen in the entire movie. Ignoring the Japanese cast (who were obviously required given the plot), i think i saw only one black person in the entire film - from the back of the head with no speaking lines. In 2019 things like that stand out really clearly.

Otherwise its a good movie to put on and not pay attention to.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:21:35 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline nickmitch

• Some cunning linguist to help you distinguish what is proper English
  • Score: 72
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6279 on: November 10, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »
I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.  That sounds pretty disappointing about Midway.  A lot of people (myself included) often think people of color weren't involved in certain historical events because representations of the history (TV, film) often exclude POC.  In 2019, that's pretty disappointing for a historical film.

I own the blu-ray of Red Tails, but never got around watching it.  I'm familiar with the story, however. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Tom Nook - Like a Boss!
  • Score: -9661
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: November 10, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Joker was amazing.