Author Topic: Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus Dated for America  (Read 22087 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus Dated for America
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »
Nintendo's new peripheral arrives this June with the sequel to Wii Sports to follow.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18203

Today, Nintendo announced the price points and release dates of the highly anticipated  Wii MotionPlus and Wii Sports Resort. The peripheral will arrive in North America on June 8th with an MSRP of $19.99. This peripheral will allow games to be implemented with more precise motion controls.    

Wii Sports Resort will arrive on July 26th bundled with one Wii MotionPlus peripheral for an MSRP of $49.99. Wii Sports Resort offers a collection of beach themed mini-games such as wave-racing, sword dueling, and disc tossing.    

NINTENDO TO SET SUMMER '09 ABLAZE WITH WII MOTIONPLUS AND WII SPORTS RESORT    

Advanced Motion Controls Arrive June 8; Wii Sports Sequel to Follow    

REDMOND, Wash., April 14, 2009 - Nintendo is setting the stage for a blockbuster summer with the announcement of two hotly anticipated product releases. The new Wii MotionPlus™ accessory will hit U.S. retailers on June 8, taking the motion-sensing controls of the popular Wii™ system to new levels of precision and performance. What's more, these control enhancements will be on vibrant display when the Wii Sports Resort™ game launches on July 26, offering a beach-themed follow-up to the groundbreaking Wii Sports™ game. Wii Sports comes packed with the Wii console. It grew into a worldwide phenomenon and continues to attract millions of new players to the world of video games. Each Wii Sports Resort game comes packed with a single Wii MotionPlus accessory.    

When used with specially designed games, Wii MotionPlus tracks players' movements in finer detail and with greater accuracy than ever before, building upon the innovative wireless function of the motion-sensing Wii Remote™ controller. Even the slightest twist of the wrist or turn of the body is replicated exactly on the TV screen, allowing users to become even more immersed in Wii game play. Designed for easy attachment to the Wii Remote controller, the Wii MotionPlus accessory will be offered at an MSRP of $19.99.    

Wii Sports Resort takes the inclusive, fun and intuitive controls of the original Wii Sports to the next level, introducing a whole new set of entertaining and physically immersive activities. With the deep control enhancements of Wii MotionPlus, veteran Wii users and newcomers alike can enjoy unprecedented gaming precision as they cruise on a water scooter, duel with swords, throw a Frisbee® and much more. Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus will be offered together at an MSRP of $49.99.    

"Wii MotionPlus represents a new evolution in video game control. The variety of fun games in Wii Sports Resort show off its incredible precision," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Developers around the world are busy working on new ways to incorporate Wii MotionPlus controls into inventive experiences for consumers."    

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com. For more information about Nintendo, visit www.Nintendo.com.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus Dated for America
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
$20?  Ouch...

$110 for four players.  Add that to the $250 Wii and 3x $40 Wii Remotes - $480 and you've got two games for four players.  Should have went with my idea of packing the Wii Motion Plus with different mini-games.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
Price isn't really all the surprising, but I'll probably pick one up before Wii Sports Resort because I want to get Tiger Woods. Maybe the EA games that use it will be bundled with it?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »
This is essentially $80+ for a video game controller.  Not as expensive as the Neo Geo controller but definitely unprecedented in its own right considering the hardware is essentially last gen.  Nintendo, masters of disguise.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
This is essentially $80+ for a video game controller.  Not as expensive as the Neo Geo controller but definitely unprecedented in its own right considering the hardware is essentially last gen.  Nintendo, masters of disguise.

Better buy the pack in then!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
the whole math thing is a red herring. I don't need 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 motion plus. Back in GAMECUBE days I bought 4 controllers and I rarely used them all at the same time. My brother is going to buy this and he has 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchucks so together we can play 4 player with mine. That way its all good.

Wiisports Resort is going to be epic. I mean 9 million the first week sort of epic. This is one puppy I am going to pre-order without a doubt. I'll pick up a motion plus beforehand for multiplayer, but i was hoping for Wiiplay2 oh well.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »
I agree that WSR will be a great seller and probably a pretty fun game.  But, man, $20 is a little pricey for these - but that's just my opinion.  Maybe that's because everyone was tossing around $10 when they were first announced and I was hoping for something like that.

You're right though - I'll probably only need to buy one (outside of the bundle), so it's really only $70 for one game.

Good thing we don't have those $60 game prices like the other systems do. :p
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
I have a feeling the EA games will have a Motion Plus bundle for 59.99, and maybe Virtua Tennis 09 since the european PR states that the first 3 third party games that will support the peripheral is Tiger Woods 10, Grand Slam Tennis and Virtua Tennis 09.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

you gotta use protection. Put a condom on your willmote!

I'm surprised it doesn't have a strap on it!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »
I agree that WSR will be a great seller and probably a pretty fun game.  But, man, $20 is a little pricey for these - but that's just my opinion.  Maybe that's because everyone was tossing around $10 when they were first announced and I was hoping for something like that.

Nintendo charges ten bucks for the Wii Wheel, and that's just a piece of molded plastic.  There was no way in this or any other dimension that MotionPlus was going to be ten dollars.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »

What, the controller is last gen? Or do you think the graphics of the console affect the controller price?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »
Yeah, ten bucks for the worthless wheel, yet no way to get the Zapper outside of a Zelda bundle. Bad form, Nintendo!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:24:54 PM »
Nintendo charges ten bucks for the Wii Wheel, and that's just a piece of molded plastic.  There was no way in this or any other dimension that MotionPlus was going to be ten dollars.
True.  All well, might as well suck it up... we all know I'm going to buy it. ;)

I wonder how many retailers will jack the price up another $5?  I've seen the Wii Wheel being sold for $15 and the Zapper sold for $25 at so many places (GameStop, TRU, etc.) and I'm just thankful some stores (Walmart!) doesn't do that...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
Yeah, ten bucks for the worthless wheel, yet no way to get the Zapper outside of a Zelda bundle. Bad form, Nintendo!

Zapper sucks, get a superior $2 shell off eBay.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
I wonder what the S & D curve will look like...I honestly think they could have charged $30 and maximized there profits.

Advertising is going to be crucial though. All that needs to be seen is a kinda average, kinda cute girl playing frisbee with her dog (but first plugging in the attachment). You don't even have to explain it. Just show a 30 sec clip of that, then the WiiSports: Resort logo with seagulls and wave sounds followed by the Wii logo.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:36:30 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »
Quote from: UncleBob
$110 for four players.

- Have you created your own math?  Like Isaac Newton did?

- Anyone who thought this would be $10 was self-delusional.

- That box art does not necessarily mean the MotionPlus is bonded to the new jacket.  We always knew it would come with a jacket because Nintendo showed it off that way at E3 last year.  It may still be possible to remove the MotionPlus from the jacket if so desired.

- Interesting that Nintendo licensed the official Frisbee name for Wii Sports Resort.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
Quote from: UncleBob
$110 for four players.

- Have you created your own math?  Like Isaac Newton did?

$50 + $20 + $20 + $20 = $110.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
Tell your friends to get their own darn Resorts.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
Tell your friends to get their own darn Resorts.
In my case, that would work - but a family of four would be looking at $110.  Isn't the Wii supposed to be the family friendly system?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »

That's with a game too.  It's $80 to equip four controllers with MotionPlus.  We don't even have evidence that Wii Sports Resort supports four players.  The E3 demo only showed one mini-game with two-player support, and Eguchi-san (answering my own question) said the game would focus on pass-the-controller multiplayer due to the MotionPlus restriction.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »

That's with a game too.  It's $80 to equip four controllers with MotionPlus.  We don't even have evidence that Wii Sports Resort supports four players.  The E3 demo only showed one mini-game with two-player support, and Eguchi-san (answering my own question) said the game would focus on pass-the-controller multiplayer due to the MotionPlus restriction.

It's with a game... that requires Motion Plus.  Which was my point.

I assumed WSR supported four players (i.e.: Four Controllers) since Wii Sports did.  Admittedly, this is without any actual knowledge of it. ;)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »
Man, I remember how pissed I was at the original controller price when I was at the NYC press conference.  It really does keep getting worse...

But I think most of the reason this seems so bad is bad PR as usual.  Chances are this will be bundled with even more games... they should have at least mentioned this to put some people's minds at ease.

I wonder how long it will take for this to come on the remote included with a Wii system.

Also, I think many people will be disappointed with pass the remote games in Wii Sports Resort.  The most popular (and most shown) Wii Sports game is four player.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 12:52:58 PM »
The most popular and most shown Wii Sports game is bowling, which can be played four-player with only one Remote.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
The most popular and most shown Wii Sports game is bowling, which can be played four-player with only one Remote.
Umm... Really?
I would think Tennis is way more popular and shown.  Didn't one of the E3 press conferences consist of the Nintendo Big Wigs playing a round of Wii Tennis for half an hour? :)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »

What, the controller is last gen? Or do you think the graphics of the console affect the controller price?

I'm stating the hardware the controller is intended for is last gen.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....