Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 245489 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #625 on: March 08, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
I'll take you up on that offer. They did the same for me with FE: Awakening and I got a legit new copy.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:56 AM »
I'll take you up on that offer. They did the same for me with FE: Awakening and I got a legit new copy.
Glad you got that. The last time I bought new from them (outside Xenoblade), they only had the display copy, which was kept essentially in the same place as the used copies were kept.  I refused to buy it and never bought new since until Xenoblade.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 10, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
i almost walked out emptyhanded on FE because their two copies were on preorder, except one of the preorderers happened to be there and had canceled theirs two days beforehand because of the shipping fiasco and asked if they had updated their records(no).
he did get his artbook when he canceled having gotten his copy at target...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 13, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »

Well...  I guess we'll call this a draw.  The Collector's Edition was open (and the cardboard wrap was horribly mangled due to stickers)... *but* the game inside was still sealed (inside is the game as if you bought it off the shelf) and it includes all the goodies that come with the Collector's Edition.

IF I was able to be picky, I would have passed on this copy if I saw it on the shelf.  But, as I said before, beggars can't be choosers.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 18, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
This is probably a decent place to ask this: Has anyone here had experience with GameStop's resurfaced discs?

Throughout the past week, I took a chance and ordered a bunch of the heavily discounted GameCube games from their website as they went in stock. It was no surprise when I received them and came to understand why they are so cheap, as only about 7 or 8 of the 25 games I ordered actually work. Some of them are even cracked and should have been trashed a long time ago.

Anyways, with the ones that do work, I noticed that the system emits a strange, low volume, high-frequency noise when it plays these resurfaced discs. This happens in both a GameCube and a Wii, so it's clearly an effect of the discs. Is this normal? I don't want these things shattering in my system, are they safe to be played or should I just return them all?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: April 18, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Is anything sticking out off of them?  You never want your discs causing noise to happen in your system.  Are the discs warped in an way?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
Resurfacing doesn't work if the scratch is on the label. Those scratches are typically much worse and can't be fixed.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 24, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
No, there's nothing wrong with the discs other than being resurfaced. They've probably been resurfaced several times, as they look a little thinner than normal GameCube game discs.

Resurfacing doesn't work if the scratch is on the label. Those scratches are typically much worse and can't be fixed.
I noticed that most of the ones that don't work do have scuffs or scrapes on the label side, and wondered if it could be part of the issue. A few of them even look like someone took sandpaper to the label.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 26, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
Scratches on label side doesn't matter.  As for your noise issue, that's common with games that had been resurfaced--most likely the disc's still have "errors" in so it's not being read 100%.  Since you just got them I would exchange them  GS or have them "try" to resurface the disc again.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 26, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
The label side is where the data actually is. Have a look at a dics and the label side is far thinner than the read side. A significant scratch on the label side is more likely to deform the data layer rendering it useless so that no amount of resurfacing can fix.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 26, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
What, seriously? So the years of me thinking it was safe to lay things on the label side was all a lie?

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 26, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
No, GC/DVD works the same way and it's in a grove system (layer).  You would have to scratch all the way throught the damn disc from the label side to effect any of the grooves.  Hense why you can use sfuff like lightscribe on the label side--doesn't hurt it at all.

CD's are a bit more picky since they have deeper grooves that's closer to the label side so yeah you can scratch though a damage the reflective side--basically hold it up to light and if you see light though it then toss the disc because it's beyond repair.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:39:24 PM by ymeegod »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
Scratch and using a light scribe label are two different things. A light scribe uses it's laser to activate special ink on the label side, it doesn't actually "Burn" the image on the label. It's closer to what a thermocouple printer(Receipts, fax machines) does.

A scratch on the label side can physically deform the data layer. The label side is a Lacquer, not the tougher polycarbonate and it's thinner.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:58:19 PM by ymeegod »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 26, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »
Looks like we were both right and wrong. From your source.
3.5 Optional Surface Layer

An optional layer may also be added to a CD or DVD to provide a labeling surface (see "Disk Surface Printing," page 24). Such surfaces are of four types:

thermal-printable
    inkjet-printable
    silkscreen-printable
    a surface that will accommodate more than one type of printing

These layers are applied over the lacquer layer on CDs or over the polycarbonate substrate on a single-sided DVD. Some discs have an extra coating on which text or logos are printed. In many cases, the lettering appears to be stenciled, but it is not part of the coating; what one sees is the reflected surface of the metal rather than imprinted text or logos. Typically, one can see through this lettered area—and even through the metal—by holding the disc up to light.

Because these lettered areas are particularly susceptible to damage, it is most important to avoid writing on or scratching in these areas. The only disc surface area that is completely safe from writing or scratching is the clear inner hub or the "mirror band," since no data are recorded in these areas.

As far as I am aware all GC discs are of the "stenciled" type, hence why they are unreadable dispite the damage being on the label side.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 22, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
im shocked that someone else didn't bump this thread

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 22, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Then why did you feel the need to?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 22, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
because of the whole xenoblade thing.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 17, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
UncleBob bumps posts.

I stopped by GameStop today to try the Mario Kart demo.  Guy there was pretty nice, but kept pushing me to pre-order.  I thought I made it clear I wasn't interested in pre-ordering, but he kept bringing it up (we played three races - the place was dead).  This, alone, wasn't bad, but dude tried to sell me that Nintendo was short-shipping games and that this one (and the new Smash Bros.) was going to be hard to get at launch.  I left shortly after.  Dude, I understand it's your job to try and sell preorders... I can live with that.  But don't lie to me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 17, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Unfortunately, management at GS encourages that sort of thinking.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 17, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if management circulated "press releases" stating as such and some of the less informed GS folk are just parroting the talking points.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #646 on: May 17, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »
When they try that **** on me I just get in their face and tell them if they don't back off I will go somewhere else or buy the game online, they usually just change the subject but I can be intimidating in person. Yes I do hate going into Game Stop and only do so when they have big sales to load up on used games.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2014, 02:33:20 AM »
Sounds like you're the asshole. Take a chill pill. It's just their job.

« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »
I never denied that dude or have no not noticed on your own?

Still if they are being pushy no I have a right to tell them shut up or I will leave and shop somewhere else, same with telemarketers I tell them no once then if they don't get it I hang up I know what their job is but if people don't send them a message they won't take it they will never learn as a company either.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:12:12 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »
You don't send a GS employee a message by getting in their face and being threatening. That's something that'll get you kicked out.