Author Topic: The Forums Stats Thread that Mop it up and Stratos Abandoned  (Read 187399 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
i didn't read his post, to be honest. i dont know enough generless people to care.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
A genderless pronoun wouldn't just be for genderless people, it would also be for the times when you don't know the sex of a person. Wouldn't using such a word be better than guessing (such as what you just did) or using something like "he/she"?

In a series of sci-fi novels that I read there's a character who is both male and female who is referred to by the pronoun 'hir'.
The problem with that word is that when pronounced aloud it would sound too similar to "her".

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
A genderless pronoun wouldn't just be for genderless people, it would also be for the times when you don't know the sex of a person. Wouldn't using such a word be better than guessing (such as what you just did) or using something like "he/she"?

In a series of sci-fi novels that I read there's a character who is both male and female who is referred to by the pronoun 'hir'.
The problem with that word is that when pronounced aloud it would sound too similar to "her".

Depends on how it's pronounced. It is an alien race so authors are fond of creating very abstract spelling *EDIT* pronunciation for alien terms. I think Timothy Zahn does a pretty good job creating very convincing alien terms.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:17:01 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
This thread gets a F- from me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile

:'(
Don't pick on me because I'm a language nerd...
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
german has three genders, plural and singular, and a difference between formal and informal
a couple of these are homophones

singular
er -  he
sie - she
es -  it
sie - they

du - You (you know the person)
Sie - you (you don't know the person, or have a working relationship)
Sie - ya'll
ihr - ya'll
wir - we

then words have genders, and based on their case in the sentence those chage
if theres an adjective it reflects the gender and the case. If you don't prctice it you forget it.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I didn't get that far in German when I tried my hand at it long ago, but I find it interesting that the words for she, they, you-formal and ya'll (is that the feminine form of it?) are all the same.

Are the pronunciations the same or are they different.
I know that the feminine singular matches the masculine 2nd person plural in Hebrew so you have to rely on context to determine if someone is referring to a girl or a group of men.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Depends on how it's pronounced. It is an alien race so authors are fond of creating very abstract spelling *EDIT* pronunciation for alien terms.
The point of creating a genderless pronoun would be to simplify language, so creating yet another alternate way to pronounce a group of letters isn't a good idea because the English language is complicated enough!

Sounds like other languages aren't really any simpler though...

Okay, now I really don't know what we did wrong. But if you don't like this topic you don't have to read it just because it's here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile

Okay, now I really don't know what we did wrong. But if you don't like this topic you don't have to read it just because it's here.

I'm glad to know it's not just me that's clueless about this. I am glad shes not a mod because not only would I be banned, but our thread would be locked too. Salt in the wound! :o
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

I must read everything.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
At least we didn't get an "F - -"! (Strong Bad reference)
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
I must read everything.
Then I apologize for every post in this topic, and please accept a preemptive apology for every post I will make in the future.

That's about all I can think to offer... Maybe there's something I could do to get on your good side?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

What series was it?

Star Trek: New Frontier

I must read everything.

You shouldn't have made that fact public, someone could take advantage of that and make something you'd really hate which you would then be forced to read.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
I just recently heard phe as a replacement for he/she. Don't know where that came from, and I honestly don't know if I like it.

It just sounds weird. Phe.

It sounds like the sound a mouse might make when it sneezed.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Well, "phe" is at least still a three-letter word and also one syllable, so it could work.
Any new word would probably sound weird because you're not used to hearing/saying it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Well, "phe" is at least still a three-letter word and also one syllable, so it could work.
Any new word would probably sound weird because you're not used to hearing/saying it.

I remember a classmate a long while ago recommended the term 'Wan' to replace man when dealing with humanity as a whole. Wan kind.

I must read everything.

You shouldn't have made that fact public, someone could take advantage of that and make something you'd really hate which you would then be forced to read.

Heh, oh the things I could do knowing that piece of information.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:54:36 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Wan huh? I don't think I like that one. Add a "G" to it and you get wang.

Also "wan" is already a word. It means "pale" or "dim".

Anyways, another thread derail being brought here:
They make a number of mistakes as well, as they have admitted on numerous occasions.
Really? They have? Where?
E3 2008, nuff said.
You mean how they apologized to fans for a weak showing at E3? Okay, that's one, but it wasn't anything major. They were just trying to patch things up with their longtime fans.
What other mistakes have they admitted? GCN - GBA connectivity? Broadband adapter but no online games? Virtual Boy? They still owe us for that one!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
VIrtual Boy was great, no need to apologize for that. Besides it isn't like businesses apologize much in general. Besides Nintendo doesn't owe anyone anything.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
VIrtual Boy was great, no need to apologize for that. Besides it isn't like businesses apologize much in general. Besides Nintendo doesn't owe anyone anything.

We should start a Virtual Boy club.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
I was being facetious with the Virtual Boy comment since it is so hated on. I half-expected you to show up to defend it though because of your love of the 3DO. :P

I've never played a Virtual Boy but the concept is intriguing. It's one of the few products which I believe was truly ahead of its time, as it needed to have full colour to be successful but then it would have been too costly. It's also a shame that one of Nintendo's greatest minds, Gumpei Yokoi, was forced to resign due to that fiasco.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
I only defended the 3DO because a certain someone insulted with something NO SYSTEM deserves to be insulted with, including the Atari Jaguar and that was the statement that it was home to the horrific Zelda games.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Wan huh? I don't think I like that one. Add a "G" to it and you get wang.

Also "wan" is already a word. It means "pale" or "dim".

When you put it that way, yeah, it's not very good. I wish I had thought of that in class.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
You're still going to hold me to that little name slip-up? It's not like I meant to do it!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
You're still going to hold me to that little name slip-up? It's not like I meant to do it!

She's cruel like that. You'll never live that one down. Death is the only escape.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
PS-Don't we have a separate thread for these off-shoots?
Yes we do, but you didn't respond to a couple of things I tried to move here. I don't know it it's because you had nothing to say or because you didn't notice, so sometimes I'm not sure what should be moved here...

I hope you don't work in the morning.
9AM.
But I've been living off four hours of sleep every night for years now so I'll be alright.