Author Topic: Winter for Wii, survival horror that may never see the light of day  (Read 16878 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Winter for Wii, survival horror that may never see the light of day
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
ALONE IN THE SNOW.

hawt.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Well, the more marketshare the Wii picks up, the more likely a third party will actually publish the game! =D

More marketshare?!  What the fact that the Wii is clearly the market leader by a large margin isn't enough?  Marketshare already has been proven to not mean crap.  Now I know that's illogical and stupid but that's just the way things are.  The Wii can sell as much as it wants but to third parties it's the granny non-game shovelware console.  That's the reason no publisher picked up this game.  If it had to do with marketshare the Wii would be getting ALL of the major games like the PS2 did before it.

What the Wii needs is for some exclusive third party core game that isn't some lame-oh spinoff and is clearly considered an A-title that would be a big release on the other consoles to be a huge smash hit.  THAT is what will prove the Wii is "worthy" of being treated like a real console and not some fad novelty item.

Third parties just don't think games that are, you know, good will sell on the Wii.  They think the userbase is all old people and girls.  The more the Wii sells, to them it just means more old people and girls to sell junk to.  And while there is all sorts of sales evidence that third parties are wrong about this that doesn't seem to be making a difference.  Someone has to take the risk and PROVE that a game like this will sell.  Square Enix is taking the "risk" with Dragon Quest X but that's probably years away and we need someone sooner.

I hope the Conduit can do it but I don't think that truly qualifies.  It sounds more like it's merely good by Wii third party standards and wouldn't stand out at all on the other consoles.  But it could still could work.  I hope it's really good and it sells really well.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Flashback was a SNES game, wasn't it?

My brother had it borrowed from a friend way back when, and I didn't know what the hell to do in it at the time and kept dying. Later on i read up on the game and thought it was pretty cool, but couldn't find it anywhere.

/sad

Yeup.  It confused the hell out of me too, as I think I was 14 when I played.  Yet even then, I found it very interesting.  It'd be sweet to see it on the VC sometime.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »
Maybe as Nintendo fans its up to us to BUY whatever hardcore 3rd party games we can while rejecting their softcore offerings. Even if the hardcore games suck, maybe we still need to buy them in order to stimulate new and better ones to be published.

On the other hand, Nintendo really should publish this themselves.
is your sanity...

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
Maybe as Nintendo fans its up to us to BUY whatever hardcore 3rd party games we can while rejecting their softcore offerings. Even if the hardcore games suck, maybe we still need to buy them in order to stimulate new and better ones to be published.

On the other hand, Nintendo really should publish this themselves.

Even if everyone on the forums did this, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.......

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »
True traditional serious Nintendo fans don't buy 3rd party games.  Look at the previous 2 generations.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »
It looked like it would a chore to play.  I don't like that you click on a drawer and then it shows you a zoomed in image of the drawer and you have to click on it again to open it.  Why not do it in one swoop?

I'm going to have nightmares of playing this game and happening upon an apothecary chest in a deserted basement.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 03:27:07 PM »

Supporting games that suck will just encourage the development of sucky games.  The third parties will interpret sales trends into whatever requires the least effort.  If you buy lousy hardcore games they'll interpret it as "hey we can just release crap and they'll buy it."  That's the whole problem with the Wii period.  Non-games sell and third parties interpret "non-game" to mean "shovelware" and act accordingly.

Support good games.  Don't settle for games that you don't think are that hot.  Don't buy a lousy game because you're desperate to play something.  Go hungry before eating sh!t.  I hear people talk about how such-and-such a game is not THAT bad and has an okay concept in theory and if you ignore these bugs it's alright...  I can't stand that.  A game doesn't deserve your purchase just because it's almost competent.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »
.  Go hungry before eating sh!t.

What if you can spot a couple peanuts in it?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »
Eww..

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
I am so in love with the ideas in the game. I hate the fact it might never see light of day

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »
Looks pretty good for a demo supposedly thrown together by a dozen guys in a couple of weeks. Seems a little slow though maybe that's the point. If it is, I'll file this under "not for me."

There's a difference between this and The Conduit. Winter is just a demo and should a publisher pick this up, we won't see a release date until at least late next year whereas The Conduit was pretty far along once Sega picked it up. The Conduit is a much easier sell on the Wii considering its genre both in terms of popularity and use of the Wii remote. I hope Winter gets a publisher just so there's more variety on the Wii and because n-Space seems far more serious than many developers.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »
Looks pretty good for a demo supposedly thrown together by a dozen guys in a couple of weeks. Seems a little slow though maybe that's the point. If it is, I'll file this under "not for me."

There's a difference between this and The Conduit. Winter is just a demo and should a publisher pick this up, we won't see a release date until at least late next year whereas The Conduit was pretty far along once Sega picked it up. The Conduit is a much easier sell on the Wii considering its genre both in terms of popularity and use of the Wii remote. I hope Winter gets a publisher just so there's more variety on the Wii and because n-Space seems far more serious than many developers.

Yeah that is the main problem, it is a demo build, and not a game that is still under development. Still n-space is an experienced developer, who, in the past has shown they have some great ideas. While Geist was extremely unpolished it was extremely unique.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
hm...

wii...

survival horror...

will never see the light of day...

Sadness?

hm.. Fall of 09 eh? We'll see..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »
I hear people talk about how such-and-such a game is not THAT bad and has an okay concept in theory and if you ignore these bugs it's alright...  I can't stand that.  A game doesn't deserve your purchase just because it's almost competent.

You're right IanSane, you shouldn't buy games you don't like and games you don't want. But I don't think I care to be held to anyone's standards of fun besides my own.

In the past that list has included Alien Syndrome, Sonic: SotR, and Ghost Squad. I'd like to think that it's no coincidence that in the future it may include The Conduit, House of the Dead, and Mad World.

Note: No, I am not a Sega fan. &P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:28:02 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
Alien Syndrome

We really should be honored to have Kairon as one of the sole owners of Alien Syndrome!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
Alien Syndrome

We really should be honored to have Kairon as one of the sole owners of Alien Syndrome!

And let's not forget, by purchasing Ping Pals on the DS I and about 100,000 others helped bring Contra IV to the DS via WayForward!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »
And let's not forget, by purchasing Ping Pals on the DS I and about 100,000 others helped bring Contra IV to the DS via WayForward!

Looks like Kairon's got us there.

Anyways, I didn't like all the camera switching stuff....reminded me of resident evil.  However I do love the idea and I did like the video, that last enemy reminded me of the witch in Left 4 Dead when it finally attacked.  I'm sure if they had say a year and add about 20-30 guys to the team this game would be pretty rock solid.  If it ever comes out it has me as a potential buyer.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:43 PM »
hm...

wii...

survival horror...

will never see the light of day...

Sadness?

hm.. Fall of 09 eh? We'll see..

nibris has to be the worst "developer" ever.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 12:21:19 AM »
nibris has to be the worst "developer" ever.

I've come to dislike them because I found it harder to submit news about indie devs working on Wii projects because gaming sites "don't want to be duped by another Nibris." and I can't blame them for not wanting to look foolish. :\
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 03:56:30 AM »

Supporting games that suck will just encourage the development of sucky games.  The third parties will interpret sales trends into whatever requires the least effort.  If you buy lousy hardcore games they'll interpret it as "hey we can just release crap and they'll buy it."  That's the whole problem with the Wii period.  Non-games sell and third parties interpret "non-game" to mean "shovelware" and act accordingly.

Support good games.  Don't settle for games that you don't think are that hot.  Don't buy a lousy game because you're desperate to play something.  Go hungry before eating sh!t.  I hear people talk about how such-and-such a game is not THAT bad and has an okay concept in theory and if you ignore these bugs it's alright...  I can't stand that.  A game doesn't deserve your purchase just because it's almost competent.

It is very unfortunate, but I think the big shots who decide what gets funded and published don't actually play the games or understand the concept of quality.  They understand what the game is about and the genre of it, but I don't think they are aware of how fun it is.  If a shoddy hardcore game which happens to be a great concept flops on the Wii then they interpret it as that genre being unsellable on that system, and they will refuse to fund future projects down the line.

Do you remember Red Steel? It was a great idea for a game and would have been great if it had been completed properly, but the publisher rushed it out so that it would be available during the Wii's launch. As it turns out, due to the drought of such games at launch, Red Steel did extremely well, even though it was a shoddy rush job. I know it sucks if you were one of those who bought it at full price, but the good thing about that is now we have Red Steel 2 in production, and  this time the company promised it will be done better and done right.

But if Red Steel one had flopped, you can be sure we wouldn't be getting a more polished sequel later on. I know thats unfortunate, and I know it shouldn't be that way, but that is how it is. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty in manure so that you can grow great roses, you know?
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:35 AM »
Also with Winter, yeah it is rough around the edges but when you put it into perspective in regards to how quickly they put it together it shows tons of promise, especially with some unique uses of the Wiimote, not to mention some very well done (and scary) scenes.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
Ah whatever, just let the publishers who refuse to acknowledge the Wii and heap bigger and bigger budgets on HD games that turn out to be B-level at best go out of business.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 06:58:59 AM »
Ah whatever, just let the publishers who refuse to acknowledge the Wii and heap bigger and bigger budgets on HD games that turn out to be B-level at best go out of business.

That goes right with what happened to Seta. They were only able to developed one game, Project Sylpheed for 360 which apparently bombed. Since they were a smaller publisher this obviously was the main cause behind their departure from gaming.  Now imagine if they would have picked up Winter, the budget would have been massively less and even if it didn't do amazingly well they could at least suck it up much easier then what happened to them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21943
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:09:39 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »
Also with Winter, yeah it is rough around the edges but when you put it into perspective in regards to how quickly they put it together it shows tons of promise, especially with some unique uses of the Wiimote, not to mention some very well done (and scary) scenes.

This shouldn't need to be repeated as often as it did, but unfortunately the internet has turned people into near mindless posting zombies who spit out idiotic comments before learning the facts. 

With that said, this demo that was put together by only about a dozen people in a matter of weeks, is very impressive in not only its visuals but the gameplay elements shown. Potential indeed.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.