Author Topic: Batman Arkham Asylum  (Read 31063 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Arkham Asylum
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
Yesterday I was at my local Gamestop picking up a fairly-rare PS2 game when I noticed that apparently my local store was doing a midnight launch for Batman, something I hadn't expected given that my area isn't exactly a rich one and it's a somewhat-hidden GS.  After the somewhat-underwhelming mess that was the Smash Bros. midnight launch a few years back, I had sworn off ever doing another one again...but then again, that was back before Midnight was roughly the middle of my day.  -_-'  Besides, I'll need to pick up the Metroid Prime Trilogy anyway.

So, anyone else bothering with going to the midnight launch if they're offering it in your area?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »
I would, really, but I'm fracking broke. After I blow my load...I mean...store credit...on Metroid Prime Trilogy, I'll have about 20 bucks left over for whatever else. And I want the special edition of Batman. It might have to wait 'til my birthday.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
The game looks like it could be interesting... But do they have to promote it with that choppy framerate bonus skeleton stage?  I understand you want people to preorder it, but that video is very choppy for a prime TV ad.  Surely something else could have fit better, anything else.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
The game looks like it could be interesting... But do they have to promote it with that choppy framerate bonus skeleton stage?  I understand you want people to preorder it, but that video is very choppy for a prime TV ad.  Surely something else could have fit better, anything else.

Yeah, I would have better appreciated if the "challenge map" was you running through Arkham dealing with the Scarecrow himself rather than just beating down on Skeletons, which just looks silly even if they are supposed to be "illusions".

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 11:08:46 PM »
Well IGN gave it a stunning 9.3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1016585p3.html

Wow, have to say that is higher then I expected, sounds like an amazing game!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:21:58 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »

Yeah, gametrailers gave it a 9.0 as well.  This is really looking promising.  BTW, if you haven't already go ahead and check out the "history" and "retrospective" video features on gametrailers, as they're pretty interesting.  The "history" one in particular makes this game sound pretty damn creepy, as it's done in a very "horror" style.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 11:22:37 PM »

Yeah, gametrailers gave it a 9.0 as well.  This is really looking promising.  BTW, if you haven't already go ahead and check out the "history" and "retrospective" video features on gametrailers, as they're pretty interesting.  The "history" one in particular makes this game sound pretty damn creepy, as it's done in a very "horror" style.

Well it is games like this that make me appreciate having 3 of the next generation consoles. Any statements yet on which is the better version?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »

Well it is games like this that make me appreciate having 3 of the next generation consoles. Any statements yet on which is the better version?

By virtue of having the Joker Challenge maps, the general concensus seems to be the PS3 version.  But then again, the Joker maps only went up on PSN on Thursday so they weren't available for the reviews.  It's all conjecture right now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »

By virtue of having the Joker Challenge maps, the general concensus seems to be the PS3 version.  But then again, the Joker maps only went up on PSN on Thursday so they weren't available for the reviews.  It's all conjecture right now.

I think I preordered the Collectors Edition of the PS3 version. Not sure though!

Looking at the voice actors it appears most of the actors from the 90s cartoon are coming back except for John Glover as Riddler. Wonder why they changed him.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:39:58 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2009, 06:31:25 AM »

I think I preordered the Collectors Edition of the PS3 version. Not sure though!

Looking at the voice actors it appears most of the actors from the 90s cartoon are coming back except for John Glover as Riddler. Wonder why they changed him.

Assuming that IMDB is right (and from what I've heard it often isn't), damn there ARE a lot of Batman: the Animated Series veterans reprising their old roles.  I'm pretty amazed that this hasn't been promoted if it is true, as they've only focused on Kevin Conroy; Mark Hamill; and Arleen Sorken.  I'll be especially happy if it's true that Efrem Zimbalist Jr.; Michael Ansara; and David Warner are reprising their roles as Alfred; Mr. Freeze; and Ra's Al Ghul (pronounced "Raishe Al Ghul", damnit!), respectively.  We do have some notable names missing, though, with new actors for Commisioner Gordon (his original VA retired); Barbara Gordon; Bane; and the Riddler.  The Riddler seems to traditionally be a really hard actor to keep pinned on a series, as The Batman had a really awesome Riddler on for one whole episode and they brought a new actor in for the Riddler's one other appearance in the series.  I'm more than a little annoyed to see the original actor for the Scarecrow brought back to reprise him here instead of the far superior Jeffrey Combs (who played him in the New Batman Adventures with the awesome character redesign).

I just have to guess that the actors they couldn't bring back either retired from acting or just weren't available.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
I just have to guess that the actors they couldn't bring back either retired from acting or just weren't available.

That probably is true though I did enjoy John Glover as the Riddler.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »

That doesn't make the PS3 versions superior. Every non-fanboy report i've seen say the games are identical. The Xbox 360 version actually looks a tiny bit better according to several of them (like the CAGcast). The Xbox 360 also has the superior controller and better reward system (Achievements are easily better than Trophy's). That is why it annoys me that Eidos Interactive made the Joker downloadable only in the PS3 version. Hopefully someone at the compnay has a brain and eventually decides to add him to the Xbox 360 version.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 12:41:56 AM »
I just got back from picking up my Arkham Aslyum Collector's Edition and...I feel more than a little ripped-off.  The box is HUGE, literally about the length of my arm.  The batarang is incredibly cheap and looks like a child's toy instead of a CE figure I'd be proud to display alongside something like my Bioshock Big Daddy.  I haven't had a chance to check out the leather-bound booklet (it's literally a leather cover that just holds a booklet), but the cardboard digipack for the discs themselves is classy.  Unfortunately, the digipack isn't built to hold the manual, and as of this post my Dem Bones/Crime Alley DLC code doesn't work.  Not worth $100.

BTW, in case you're curious the Arkham Asylum Midnight Release was the total opposite of my experience with the Smash Bros. release.  There were maybe a dozen or so of us there, and we all showed up around 11:30 or so.  We just stood around and talked about video games till I (apparently the only person watching the clock) told the GS guys there that it was 12:01 and time to go.  No rude behavior, no defacing of the storefront, none of that BS I ran into at the Smash Bros. release.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:15:43 AM by broodwars »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2009, 01:09:48 AM »
Thank you for the impressions. I was so close to picking up the RE5 CE when someone's impressions made me think otherwise. Sounds highly dubious that what you have is really worth $100.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 01:14:42 AM »
Thank you for the impressions. I was so close to picking up the RE5 CE when someone's impressions made me think otherwise. Sounds highly dubious that what you have is really worth $100.

In all fairness, I haven't looked at the bonus Blu-Ray disc yet (and probably won't for a while).  Unfortunately, with it being Blu-Ray I can't play a game and watch it at the same time since my PS3 is my only Blu-Ray player.  I did look at the booklet, though, and it is nice.  It's notes from one of the medical doctors at Arkham on what must be the most extensive list of Batman's Rogues Gallery I've ever seen (I've never even heard of some of these guys).  It's nice but it's the kind of thing that could be thrown on a DVD and you wouldn't have missed it in paper form.

I'm currently playing the game right now.  ^_^

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »
Alright, folks, I'm going to make this simple for you: it doesn't matter which version you get (though I think you get ripped off in the CE), but buy this game.  Yes, it is as awesome as the hype suggested.  I just completed my first run-ins with both the Scarecrow and Bane, and they were handled masterfully (I actually had a lot of trouble with Bane).  Just about everything about this game clicks (and, in fact, this game feels oddly reminiscent of Bioshock for some reason), and this is indeed the Batman game we were all waiting for.  I will say this, though: so far I haven't heard any familar voices outside of the primary trio of Batman, Joker, and Harley but I'll keep listening.  My only quibble at this point is the same one I had in the demo: the game is very picky about just what objects you can interact with.  You can blow up things with the explosive gel, but only things the game wants you to blow up.  The same explosive that will take down a wall in one area has no affect against...say...a glass wall.  It's very inconsistent and a bit annoying, but it's a very minor problem.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:03 AM »
Alright, folks, I'm going to make this simple for you: it doesn't matter which version you get (though I think you get ripped off in the CE), but buy this game.  Yes, it is as awesome as the hype suggested.  I just completed my first run-ins with both the Scarecrow and Bane, and they were handled masterfully (I actually had a lot of trouble with Bane).  Just about everything about this game clicks (and, in fact, this game feels oddly reminiscent of Bioshock for some reason), and this is indeed the Batman game we were all waiting for.  I will say this, though: so far I haven't heard any familar voices outside of the primary trio of Batman, Joker, and Harley but I'll keep listening.  My only quibble at this point is the same one I had in the demo: the game is very picky about just what objects you can interact with.  You can blow up things with the explosive gel, but only things the game wants you to blow up.  The same explosive that will take down a wall in one area has no affect against...say...a glass wall.  It's very inconsistent and a bit annoying, but it's a very minor problem.

You'll probably laugh at this question. But is the game scary? Games that startle me often I tend to not finish!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 05:38:07 AM »

You'll probably laugh at this question. But is the game scary? Games that startle me often I tend to not finish!

Scary?  Well, not really.  It is disturbing in places and genuinely creepy at times, particular in the Scarecrow section I've finished.  The game's pulled a few "jump" scares in places, such as when I checked a door and...well...something literally jumped at the other side of the door.  I'd say the general tone of the game, from the lighting to the imagery, is very similar to Bioshock.  If you could handle what Bioshock threw at you in that department, you can handle this just fine.  I suppose you can get scared during the "Invisible Predator" sections when you get spotted and suddenly everyone's shooting at you and you're scrambling from hiding place to hiding place to shake them, but that's SOP (Standard Operating Proceedure) for video games.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 05:20:31 AM »
Well, after an exciting marathon of awesomness I have completed my first playthrough with all random stuff found on Normal.  Great game with some fantastic boss fights and some utterly phenomenal Scarecrow sections.  Seriously, someone at Rocksteady was a fan of Eternal Darkness and it shows.  This game will get probably a few more playthroughs in the future on the main quest, but I still have a boatload of Challenge maps to do now.  My only big complaint is you don't run into much of Batman's Rogues gallery, but it's obvious from what I guess we have to assume was supposed to be an ending (yeah, another downgrade) that they definitely had sequels in mind.  The end of the game can also be really cheap, with you having to take on squads of goons as well as 1 or 2 huge Titan goons at the same time.  This just ends up painful, with the goons knocking away at you when you go after the Titans and the Titans beating the crap out of you when you try to turn your attention to anything else.  The final boss is also really underwhelming and is actually easier than the fight that comes before him.  Still, fantastic game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 05:45:32 AM »
Not sure how far I am but I just

Got to Batman's Arkham Batcave

The scarecrow sections were extremely well done. Especially the "boss battle" there.

Also Kevin Conroy puts Bale's batman voice to shame (not to mention his overall demeanor when talking), too bad they couldn't have dubbed Conroy over Bale when he was in Batman mode. And of course Mark Hamil is brilliant as the joker, it really makes me wish we could see him play the role in a movie, I think he would do a fabulous job.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:52:12 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 06:07:44 AM »
if they dubbed Conroy over Bale that would be so weird, Bale does a good job as live action. He is an acting machine. It sucks Ledger died, i loved his take on Joker. For part 3 it just doesn't seem right to totally dump the joker, because he basically set himself up to continue to be the primary villain in the next movie. Although, this does bring back the possibility of Hamil reprising his role in a movie. That was the fan idea, and maybe by now Nolan either sees no choice and will bow to the fans. http://www.gamerhotline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mark-hamill.jpg imagine that with some dark knight make up. you'd barely notice the difference. Although, Hamill would have to keep it lower key. He did a GREAT job keeping it grim and low key in Mask of the Phantasm. Mark Hamill is a great actor, i mean star wars..its just his regular acting career he's never been paired with a good direcotr to really bring out a good performance..except Kevin Smith who is a great director who brought out a cartoon performance.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 07:05:54 AM »
I've been trying to make some headway in the Challenge Maps, which are actually pretty damn hard...especially if you're trying to do trophy duty as well.  It took me forever to get the hang of the enemy placement and timing to do the total Silent Takedown for the second Invisible Predator scenario, but it was amusing to observe the guards' reactions as I picked them off one by one without making any noise.  In fact, I'd say the Invisible Predator maps are well worth investing time in the Challenge maps, as they don't go for that trap of making you race against a clock (unless you care about online leaderboards, and I don't).  Instead, each map simply charges you with taking out the enemies with cetain attacks, which really lets you appreciate the map designs and the tools at your disposal.

I do not care for the combat Challenge maps at all, as I never could get above a 27-hit combo (my personal best in the main story) and you pretty much have to be flawless to get all 3 medals for those scenarios (I've done this once for a trophy).  Sadly, I experimented a bit with the much-vaunted Joker, and honestly it's pretty lame.  You're just going through the same maps as Batman, but with Arkham guards and hero characters as your punching bags instead of Joker goons.  Joker himself controls a little differently from Batman, enough that I have some trouble using him.  The Joker's much weaker than Batman and attacks in wierd arcs, but he has faster attacks so he can build up combos quickly.  His finishers are really hard to pull off in my experience, so it's harder to chain them together.  His moves are really amusing, though (I love the joy-buzzer finisher).  I haven't tried him out in Invisible Predator mode yet.

In case you're curious, the Crime Alley map is just another Combat Challenge Map (with medals, oddly enough), and Dem Bones is pretty lame as a survival mode where you see how long you can go attacking the Scarecrow's skeletons without taking a hit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:08:45 AM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 04:00:28 AM »
This is a very good game.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
Just finished the single player and yeah--it's a great surprise because it's not only a good game but it's a great Batman game.   The PS3 does have exclusive download content to if you have both you might as well buy that one. 

As for the game itself--the combat level felt a little like smashing "X" all the time.  You really don't have to try to beat the baddies unless you're unlocking the metals in challenge modes.  That was my only gripe about the game otherwise I simply loved it.   The comments made by the Joker had me rolling with laughter. 

I can't believe this but I'm actually buying an Eidos game after swearing a blood oath not to.  Oh well :)