Author Topic: Is it over? [HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray]  (Read 10230 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Is it over? [HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray]
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
Can someone explain about these extra features that HD-DVD has?  This is honestly the first time I've heard of them.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 10:24:59 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to hear these features as well. Most DVD features are crap. Remember when DVDs came with games? Really sucky games like memory match or watch the whole movie over and then rearrange the scenes! Stupid.

The only features I think work are:

commentary tracks
Extra footage (deleted scenes, outtakes)
Making of documentary

I don't care about cast bios, or links to web sites, or Piracy is bad commercials that you can't skip.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »
Buy my understanding the Medium itself is better for Blu-Ray while HD-DVD had more features around it but, software features can be upgraded later.

I don't believe that is the case especially when it comes to Blu-Ray profiles. From what I understand the new Blu-Ray profiles (that allow more features) can only be obtained by BUYING another blu-ray player.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
Well that only depends on your Blu Ray player GP.  The PS3s upgrade themselves with firmware.  It's obvious that that would be possible in a stand alone player too.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »
In a cracked nutshell,

HD-DVDs had a finalized standard with interactivity features included out the box.  Connecting to the internet for extra info and junk and spying on your movie habits.  HD-DVD's interfaces are authored using web technologies; you get the internet info streamed to you and it's displayed like webpages do.

In Blu-Ray's BDLive (Profile 2.0), internet connection capability is mandatory.  Previous profiles do not utilize interweb at all.

Early Blu-Ray adopters (stand-alone units) are forked since they can't access Profile 2.0 junk without getting a modern player.

HD-DVD adopters are forked since the format is dead.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »
Can someone site me some examples of this profile junk in a bluray movie? I want to know if I should care or not.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 12:05:29 AM »
Well it is over now Toshiba throws in towel and drops out http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/02/toshiba_throws_in_towel_on_hd.php
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
It's time I looked for an up-converting DVD player that doesn't play high-def discs.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 11:39:27 PM »
I doubt BlueRay is the future at all. The way i see it is that we should move back to solid state media. SD cards will have comparable space to BRDs in about 4 years with the possibility of being updated without having to update hardware. Combine that with the ability to download then you got something.

Heres what I want
I want a Box that accepts solid state discs that are of equal size of 3.5inch floppy disks, but use some sort of solid state sd card technology. On it I want to be able to watch  tv channels in a menu system simular to Wii's. For each Channel I would pay 10 cents up to 75 cents per channel per month. Also, I would like to be able to watch any tv show I want any time I want, accepting that I may get brief 30 second commercials every 10-15 minutes depending one the length of the show. Outside of downloadable content I would hope that movies on the cart-like format would be available for purchase inside stores. I would also like this box to have a basic user friendly video editing program. Scenes can be arranged similar to a slideshow program, and scene length can be cut quicktime style by dragging the ends along the play bar. Also, it would include layering, screening, and overlay options. These videos can be stored on these cart-like disks. Each person would have their own profile Youtube style and can decide whether their stored videos are public. Oh and the box uses a modified wii remote that has added playback buttons and would also contain a usb port in which a keyboard can be plugged in.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:48:11 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 12:19:02 AM »
Nice Idea Perm.  I thank that next System Nintendo will go back to Solid State.  I think Movies will also eventually move that way as well and keep the small SD sized format.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »
damn right somebody likes my idea its only the logical next step, also stations like nbc, cbs, fox, abc, and the cw would by default be free. I think the future of tv is picking your channels. I only want certain channels, and if i cease to like a channel then i waat to get rid of it instantly. Cox already has something similar, but you buy channels in blocks, and thats not good enough, I had to loose BBC america to get G4 tv, i shouldn't have to trade Dr Who for Ninja Warrior. It would be cool to have a programable channel, you could preset how it switches between channel programing, and if you want to see something else you just change the channel and it still goes by its regular scheduling.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:27:58 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post