Author Topic: Factor 5 working on a new Wii tile  (Read 13722 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: Factor 5 working on a new Wii title
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 03:33:39 AM »
The best thing about this news is that Factor 5 will actually push the Wii to its limits, and maybe shame other developers into doing the same.  I'd be happy with Rogue Squadron 4, sans on-foot missions (unless they somehow miraculously do them well and they don't detract from the game), but I wouldn't mind something original.  Heck, they could even theoretically give us a good version of Lair since they actually know the hardware.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 03:53:20 AM »
Maybe they should work closely with Nintendo on the gameplay part and that would make the game the best its gonna be coming from F5.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Factor 5 working on a new Wii title
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 04:00:49 AM »
That is the one area that does have me excited, I want to see what they can do with Wii. Mario Galaxy showed that you can get some stunning visuals out of Wii, and it would be nice to see Factor 5 do the same. I still hold that while the Wii will never be able to match 360 or PS3 visuals, you can still get some nice graphics out of it if a developer actually ::gasp:: tries.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 05:13:20 AM »
One thing everyone is missing is that F5 nailed Lair with lots of delays.
Our new delay re-friendly Nintendo means F5's new game won't come out till it's 15th announced release date.

Also, F5 makes middleware.  Even if thier game sucks harder than a vacuum their graphics and sound engines wont, and they have no problem selling them to people.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 06:45:36 AM »
"The funny thing? Fans are going crazy over this announcement, yet they forget that they also worked on Lair."

They also made Rebel Strike which aside from the multiplayer was also crap.  But the reason to go crazy is because a developer came back to Nintendo!  When the f*ck does that ever happen?!  This is VERY good news.  The Wii should obviously have better third party support so attracting any significant developer that has initially chosen the PS3 or Xbox 360 could potentiall get momentum going.  That's what worked for the Playstation.  Bit by bit the former Nintendo loyalists were leaving and then once Square jumped ship everyone followed.  Factor 5 is admitting they were wrong and I think too many of the third parties giving us lukewarm support want to be the first company to admit that.  I hope whatever they make is great and it sells well to send a message that the Wii is what third parties should be focusing on.

And the thing is everyone welcomes back the player that left in free agency or asked for a trade.  You only hate him because he's not on your team.  If Rare or Silicon Knights came back fans would going nuts as well.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
Not rare, but Silicon Knights; yes.  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 07:49:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian SaneIf Rare or Silicon Knights came back fans would going nuts as well.

That's only if Nintendo is there to provide them the support they need. People are excited over the potential of them working TOGETHER with Nintendo. They've shown themselves to be quite incapable on their own. Well, not sure about Silicon Knights... yet.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
heh, karma can be so funny and awesome sometimes...

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I bet it is a flying game, because that is all Factor 5 can do. Can't say I'm too excited beyond seeing what they can do visually for Wii.
lies, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine > You

that got me thinking though, maybe it's a new Indy (movie) game?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 08:40:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
If Rare or Silicon Knights came back fans would going nuts as well.

That's only if Nintendo is there to provide them the support they need. People are excited over the potential of them working TOGETHER with Nintendo. They've shown themselves to be quite incapable on their own. Well, not sure about Silicon Knights... yet.

Well I'm not so sure that is fair to say. They have done alright, all of their 360 releases were decent. None of them were quite as classic as their previous releases, but there was still some fun to be had with them, especially with Viva Pinata and to a lesser extent Kameo. Working with Nintendo again would probably help hone their skills, but they definitely aren't incapable on their own.

I couldn't care less that Rare and SK cut ties with Nintendo, I love them and will support them with whatever they work on. If they were to ever come back to Nintendo I guess I would be happy, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me as long as they are continuing to make games  on some system out there (minus the stupid cellphone). Same goes for Factor 5. I'm glad they are making a Wii game, but only because I know they will help push developers to do more with the hardware. Regardless, I would have supported them no matter what wherever they decided to make games because they are a talented developer. No hate from me just because they all parted ways with Nintendo.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »
Silicon Knights will never return to Nintendo because they will never finish Too Human.

Ever.

We will be dead and buried before Too Human comes out.  People will use the phrase "Too Human" in the same way we currently use the phrase "Duke Nukem Forever."

AND THEY PLAN SEQUELS!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

One thing everyone is missing is that F5 nailed Lair with lots of delays.
Our new delay re-friendly Nintendo means F5's new game won't come out till it's 15th announced release date.
They made Rogue Leader in 9 months..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
One other thing, wasn't Factor 5 constantly putting down the Wii because it was graphically inferior to the other consoles?

If so, what drove them towards Wii development? The Wii being an insane success? Sony's money hat ran dry? The fact that Lair was poorly received?

Factor 5 finally realized that they are one of the most competent developers for graphics on Nintendo systems, if they make an engine with great graphics on Nintendo's (the most popular, bet selling, mostly crappy looking gamed)system then they can make bank.

like for instance im surprised at how much system resources are required for my pc to play a game like Portal, when a game like Star Wars:RS is no problem for my gamecube. To be fair source has alot of physics.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »
Do you think Factor 5 is working on the Wii because they feel that they were genuinely wrong about its possibilities, or because of a cynical, "Dat's where da money is!" mentality?

I'm getting a Konami/Dewey vibe from Factor 5.   Their first game is going to feature an adorable armadillo hero that's coming of age and has to save his golden cookies from the King of Alley Cats.  And in a stunning display of innovation, he'll fold into a ball with the B button, where he can then be motion-controlled to squash enemies and roll into cannons.

"Rolly's Kookie Kwest"  It'll get a 6.5!
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 01:41:33 AM »
lol i can totally see kairon buying that
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 05:13:54 AM »

Originally posted by: ReverendNoahWhateley
Do you think Factor 5 is working on the Wii because they feel that they were genuinely wrong about its possibilities, or because of a cynical, "Dat's where da money is!" mentality?

I'm getting a Konami/Dewey vibe from Factor 5.   Their first game is going to feature an adorable armadillo hero that's coming of age and has to save his golden cookies from the King of Alley Cats.  And in a stunning display of innovation, he'll fold into a ball with the B button, where he can then be motion-controlled to squash enemies and roll into cannons.

lol minus the name the game play sounds cool :P
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about with Nintendo fans always judging third party games harshly by their cover!

I like armadillos. I like cookies. I like quests. Rolly's Kookie Kwest could be a game well worth considering!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »
...dear God man.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about with Nintendo fans always judging third party games harshly by their cover!

I like armadillos. I like cookies. I like quests. Rolly's Kookie Kwest could be a game well worth considering!

Is you talkkin' to me K. K. Airon?  Cause I said the name sucks but I'd totally buy the game anyway.  Plenty of games in my collection have dumb names.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
For the record, I'm not saying that Rolly's Kookie Kwest would be a bad move.  It WOULD be a predictable move, though.  Sort of like a new FPS for the 360.

Honestly, it's hard to believe Factor 5's going to make anything besides a flight sim.  If they can manage to find a way to combine flying with the villainous mewing of the Alley Cat King, they'll be in business.  
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

You mean it'll feature a hero in a power suit with an arm cannon exploring large, maze-like levels with the ability to roll into a small ball, run over enemies, go through small passages and roll into cannons, right? Turrican Prime hooray!

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 02:29:18 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
You mean it'll feature a hero in a power suit with an arm cannon exploring large, maze-like levels with the ability to roll into a small ball, run over enemies, go through small passages and roll into cannons, right? Turrican Prime hooray!

I know I'm sold on the idea!

It wouldn't be bad for Factor 5 to make a FPS on the Wii though. With some competent graphics engine, and well done Wii aiming (just rip off MOHH2) and the Wii could easily rival the 360 as the shooter machine of choice. Of course, that is provided Factor 5's engine is licensed to other developers. As long as it provides good graphics, and is meant to be licensed out to other, it doesn't even matter if the gameplay is good. F5 could just use it as a demo to attract other developers who are too lazy to do anything other than port their PS2 engines over.

I'm looking at you, Red Steel 2.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 02:43:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak
With some competent graphics engine, and well done Wii aiming (just rip off MOHH2) and the Wii could easily rival the 360 as the shooter machine of choice..

I honestly can't believe that more developers aren't making FPS games for the Wii. With it's control scheme it is quite clearly a more fitting platform for a shooter than the 360, yet no one has hopped on the train. I suppose we can blame that on Nintendo for pushing the casual game machine image. Personally I hope this changes in time, but I won't count on it. As long as I get a new Timesplitters all is well.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 06:18:01 AM »
Shooters seem to sell mostly on graphics lately so the Wii has the controls but not the demographics.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »
lolzer kdr...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Shooters seem to sell mostly on graphics lately so the Wii has the controls but not the demographics.

What are you trying to say: Graphics or Demographics? Metal of Honor Heroes 2 sold rather well. It wasn't a blockbuster by any means, but the game itself wasn't exactly blockbuster material either.

If you're talking about graphics, just remember the Gamecube can do this:

Now imagine what someone like F5 can do with my RAM, and twice the speed. Now license out the technology, and you'll get plenty of respectable looking games on the Wii.