Author Topic: Burnout Paradise  (Read 16327 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Burnout Paradise
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »
Definitely, Burnout was my game of the year.  I notified Criterion of this, and they were extremely grateful.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »
I really really like the game. I appreciate the fact that Criterion are sticking to it and making improvements rather than moving onto the next title.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
I like the idea, but doing anything but driving around is frustrating since there aren't clear paths when you're racing. And would it have killed them to have made the different sections of town look different? It's all just very blah visually compared to Revenge. And it doesn't help that there's no fullscreen mode, so everything looks sort of zoomed out on my TV...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2009, 01:31:24 AM »
The Ultimate Box is finally out on PC and it is a beaut of a port. Sadly, there isn't an option for custom soundtracks on the PC. Oh well, you can probably just run foobar, WinAmp, or iTunes in the background and achieve a similar effect.

>And would it have killed them to have made the different sections of town look different?

It probably might have. The system at least. The texture budget or whatever was probably only so big.
As for racing, it is definitely a weak point of the game (oh dear, racing sucks in a racing game). Even with only eight possible finish lines, it's a bit of chore to plan a route and navigate when you're chaining burnouts.

Along with Crash Mode, Aftertouch and CrashBreaker are gone as well. A shame as I would've loved to use both during a Road Rage. The addition of an E-Brake is a nice touch; really helps when facing a right-angle turn.

All in all, Paradise is a great installment. It may be more of a step to the side than a step forward, but I welcome it all the same. However, I wouldn't mind a more circuit-based title in the future.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 06:20:14 PM »
I just tried the demo out and it seems pretty interesting. It feels a lot like Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which is probably the only game in the series that I've enjoyed since High Stakes. It's actually almost a shame that Burnout doesn't have police chases and such. It's true that EA probably needs to do something to help differentiate the two franchises, but I can see plenty of idea working equally well in both.

Immediate cons of the game include the absolutely terrible soundtrack and the fact that there's not actually anyone driving the cars. Weird. I want to see ragdoll physics and full on gore as my character flies through windshields! Oh, and it's kind of easy to get lost during races... :\
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »
Actually, police chases are coming to the game in a future DLC pack.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »
Well then, I'll have very little to complain about in the future. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
Its official, the ability to restart is finally in the game and works as it should.  Hallelujah!!!

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2009, 03:18:41 AM »
I really need to download the updates, but I've been lazy; that restarting thing couldn't have come a moment too soon. And I must say that I'm glad that the Burnout doesn't feature "gore" (ie showing the drivers getting thrown through their windshields), mainly because cars crashing in real life is rarely fun, and the only way the games stay on the light-hearted end of the spectrum is to not show...you know, mangled bodies. I'm sure there's a market for an M-rated Burnout-type game but I won't be picking it up.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
Is there any way to skip all the stupid menus and stores when you start up the game?  Its be nice if the game started you IN the game at boot up, but I guess that idea is a bit ahead of its time.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2009, 02:31:37 AM »
GTA IV boots directly into your saved game.  Takes a while, though.

I've played Paradise a lot in the past week.  The restart feature makes it so much less annoying.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
GTA IV boots directly into your saved game.  Takes a while, though.

I've played Paradise a lot in the past week.  The restart feature makes it so much less annoying.

No kidding, its been great.  Finally on my way to my A license!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
Anyone pick up Cops n Robbers?  I did.  I've tried getting a game going a couple times now to no avail.  Their lobby system really sucks.  I want my $10 back.