Author Topic: So Many ******* adds!  (Read 29289 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: So Many ******* adds!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55:47 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:So Many ******* adds!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:04 AM »
Oh lord...
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 09:14:01 AM »
Microsoft in one tab, Sony in the other!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 09:31:47 AM »
To be fair, Microsoft didn't own HoTMaiL when I signed up for it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
You should switch to gmail.....

best emailing service ever.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
Unfortunately, I've had this e-mail address *forever* and that's how people know to contact me (Spammers included).  I'll have the Hotmail address until I die or Hotmail does...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »
lol, and we can't get a Nintendo ad to save are soul.  On the flipside that deal does ake a PS3 more accessible to Young adults.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline wulffman04

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Get Firefox, use Adblock.

Here Here!
Follow the Hobo <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo#Hobo_code">Code![/url]

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »
Lot less ads Yay!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Unfortunately, I've had this e-mail address *forever* and that's how people know to contact me (Spammers included).  I'll have the Hotmail address until I die or Hotmail does...

Spammers probably found you email cause it is sitting in all it's glory right below your posts.  Email crawlers love that stuff.  If you want to take my advice, have it written as like "unclebob at GMAIL dot com" or something.  But some times crawlers are even up on that.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
New take-over ad is for a Canadian job site.

I assume you go there if you want to be lumberjack or make ham and syrup.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: So Many ******* adds!
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
Some of the ads on the side of the page    ---->
are compressing the forum component of the page.  The square Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 and Honda "roll-over to expand" ads are the only ones I've see so far.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 01:35:20 AM »
Can you take screenshots or something?  We should not have non-uniform ads showing up over there and need to report them.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
Can do!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »
it got worse today. Now there are ads showing up in forum posts and all over the place where they didn't used to show up. I don't mind the ads on the front page or news stories but in the forums, come on guys.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »
does NWR=Nintendo Whore Report now?

"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 01:19:27 PM »
I'm getting a whole lot of NOT FOUND for the ads now, it's great! Golden Palace pop unders are shitting me though.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 02:56:58 PM »
does NWR=Nintendo Whore Report now?

Dang... this is making me wish I didn't have adblock.  :-\
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
Hey guys, I just want to speak a bit with the ads situation and address some of the comments on them.

First, about those "questionable" ads.  The thing about working with advertising partners is that you don't always know what will show up in the code they give us to put up on the site.  Nonetheless, we've contacted them about the ads and let them know that not everyone on our site appreciates them.  So we're aware of that.

Secondly, about the new ads in the forum, in general.  Look, I know you hate ads.  I hate ads.  But you know what?  There are eyeballs that are looking through the forums that can also be looking at ads, which will generate revenue for us.  The reality of the Internet is that the best way to make money from websites is through advertising revenue.  Unless you guys want us to charge you money to come to the site, you're going to have to accept this fact.  Please note that we're not, nor are we ever, going to start charging people money to come to NWR.  We're doing our part, so why don't you?

Finally, to all of those using adblockers, I have a request.  Why?  If our ads don't load in your browser, we don't make money.  Plain and simple.  Sure, one person blocking ads isn't going to be a big deal for us, but when you consider that a lot of our readers aren't that much different than you forum guys are, and you're the type that blocks ads, what do you think that tells you about how many people block ads on NWR?  If you insist on blocking our ads, the only thing we can do to counter it is to add more ads, which is something no one wants to see.  But we may have to do it if the general attitude around here doesn't change.

I just ask you to be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.  Complaining about it isn't going to change the reality of the situation.  I promise you that the new NWR will have ads that are better integrated into the site and won't be too much of a nuisance.  The forum ads were also kind of shoehorned in, so hopefully before long we'll make them fit in better, too.  We want to make it so you won't mind not blocking our ads!

Just remember to think of it from our perspective, and hopefully you'll understand where we're coming from.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »
Unless you guys want us to charge you money to come to the site, you're going to have to accept this fact.  Please note that we're not, nor are we ever, going to start charging people money to come to NWR.  We're doing our part, so why don't you?

LOL; quote of the year.  You can do A or B, but we're not going to let you do A.

Seriously though, many of us have offered to donate some cash to help out.  I imagine running the site is expensive, and some of us would be glad to lend a hand.

Finally, to all of those using adblockers, I have a request.  Why?

Do you really have to ask?

vs.

These images were taken when PGC first made the switch to NWR, but I just checked and not much has changed.  The adds are distracting and--quite frankly--ugly.

If you insist on blocking our ads, the only thing we can do to counter it is to add more ads, which is something no one wants to see.

But if I use AdBlock, this won't matter to me anyway.  You're just punishing those who don't block the ads.

There are other ways to make money on the Internet.  If you're above accepting charity, why not sell some merchandise?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
You know what a pain in the ass it is to process credit cards?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »
Yes, actually.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »
Meh.  I don't block ads.  I don't think that's right.  I think it's an ethical obligation to view the ads that the person who made the website has placed up.  Now, if sites still had all those annoying flash ads, I might have to start blocking ads, but as far as page ads that are designed into the site, it's only fair that I view those for the services rendered.  It's pretty much a form of payment for our internet capitalism, so I pay my ethical respects.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
I'd rather pay my respects in cold hard cash.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
The reality of the Internet is that the best way to make money from websites is through advertising revenue.  Unless you guys want us to charge you money to come to the site, you're going to have to accept this fact.  Please note that we're not, nor are we ever, going to start charging people money to come to NWR.  We're doing our part, so why don't you?

If you are asking me to switch off Adblock when visiting NWR, then I ask that you make these ads less obtrusive. Respect is a two-way road.

After running the latest Firefox 3 beta without Adblock for a couple of days, I couldn't get Adblock back quick enough. The majority of ads (not just NWR, the whole internets) are annoying, irrelevant and borderline spam. And, much like that Monty Python sketch, I am willing to stand up and shout "NO I DON'T LIKE SPAM".

I appreciate that its a source of revenue but I hope that you can appreciate that these ads are being forced upon the users (RABicle's pop-under ads are a example of that).

Its looks like a cop-out, to someone who has followed PGC/NWR for years, to see you guys put some Javascript on a site that cycles through ads from an advertising company which has nothing to do with the essence of NWR (those PS3 ads were ironic and amusing though).

So why not take the road less travelled and work out a smart way to advertise on the site?

Finally, to all of those using adblockers, I have a request.  Why?  If our ads don't load in your browser, we don't make money.  Plain and simple.

Maybe I'm not up on the latest advertising trends, but aren't most advertising models built around "click-throughs" rather than views?

It is easy to disable Adblock for certain sites, but I'm not willing to sit through the current ads that are dished up on NWR. If things change I am willing to reconsider.

Just remember to think of it from our perspective, and hopefully you'll understand where we're coming from.
Respect is a two-way road.