Author Topic: Brawl Delayed to February in N. America  (Read 24625 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
CHALLENGE: Name a AAA Nintendo Title that wasn't delayed.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »
Super Mario 64? =) Launch titles ftw!

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »
Does that count? I mean it was an N64 launch title as promised, but the N64 itself was delayed SEVERAL times if I recall.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2007, 12:29:16 AM »
Sure it does, it counts based on technicalities!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2007, 03:58:51 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: UncleBob

So, do you feel cheated when games allow you to push a button to select the same character with a different color costume?  I mean, instead of spending time picking out different colored costumes, they could have spent the time perfecting other aspects of the game, right?

That is a good question, and I'm going to have say yes if the game had other flaws that could have been fixed in the meantime. Now perhaps not a different COLOR costume because that cannot be hard to implement at all, but maybe a complete model change wearing different clothing. While the clones in Brawl were a quick way to shove in a few more characters, their models had to have taken precious time away from refining the game or maybe even adding some new items.

The only problem with this is that the individual(s) who do the character models probably aren't the same ones who would be responsible for doing other things in the game (aside from other in-game designs).  It's not like that team was going to finish up the character models, then go around and start tweaking the physics of the game or something.

Things were getting back on track until SOMEONE decided to bring it up all over again. Personally I can't stand rapid fans no matter the series, so that is why I get involved.  Besides Pale is the one that got it off track, we were talking about the good ole days when Nintendo delayed stuff compared to the GC era, then Pale responded saying Melee was near perfect, and pap gave his reasons why it wasn't, then Pale said Pap tried to hate the game, along with other accusations that Smash_Brothers started the whole thing, and everyone was following his lead.

That's not quite how it happened and you know it.  However, instead of "recapping" it myself, I'll just let anyone who cares go back and re-read it.

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
I think it's really funny that this thread has twice as many replies as the one about Sonic being in the game.

No one likes Sonic anymore, he has been defiling himself for past several years!

We can agree on that.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2007, 05:27:37 AM »

So, do you feel cheated when games allow you to push a button to select the same character with a different color costume?  I mean, instead of spending time picking out different colored costumes, they could have spent the time perfecting other aspects of the game, right?

That is a good question, and I'm going to have say yes if the game had other flaws that could have been fixed in the meantime. Now perhaps not a different COLOR costume because that cannot be hard to implement at all, but maybe a complete model change wearing different clothing. While the clones in Brawl were a quick way to shove in a few more characters, their models had to have taken precious time away from refining the game or maybe even adding some new items.

The only problem with this is that the individual(s) who do the character models probably aren't the same ones who would be responsible for doing other things in the game (aside from other in-game designs).  It's not like that team was going to finish up the character models, then go around and start tweaking the physics of the game or something.

Things were getting back on track until SOMEONE decided to bring it up all over again. Personally I can't stand rapid fans no matter the series, so that is why I get involved.  Besides Pale is the one that got it off track, we were talking about the good ole days when Nintendo delayed stuff compared to the GC era, then Pale responded saying Melee was near perfect, and pap gave his reasons why it wasn't, then Pale said Pap tried to hate the game, along with other accusations that Smash_Brothers started the whole thing, and everyone was following his lead.

That's not quite how it happened and you know it.  However, instead of "recapping" it myself, I'll just let anyone who cares go back and re-read it.

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
I think it's really funny that this thread has twice as many replies as the one about Sonic being in the game.

No one likes Sonic anymore, he has been defiling himself for past several years!

We can agree on that.

UncleBob doesn't seem to understand what getting the thread back on track means. BTW I did read back, and it was a normal discussion until Pale accused Pap of not being able to like Brawl because of the faults he found in Melee.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2007, 06:22:47 AM »
It's strange how conversations can flow from one topic to another.  If only this board was set up to allow conversations...

It's interesting that you leave out the fact that Pap was the first to bring up anything about Melee.  Pale simply stated "How are you complaining that Melee was rushed? The game was near perfect..." to which Pap replied with a list of complaints, half of which were pretty stupid (Oh noes, there's an uneven amount of trophies!!!1111)  Thus, it seems to me that this train wreck started with Pap making an uneducated comment that Melee was rushed.  Not that he "felt" it was rushed, but that it *was* rushed, something of which I'm sure Pap has no real knowledge of.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2007, 07:53:31 AM »

It's strange how conversations can flow from one topic to another.  If only this board was set up to allow conversations...

It's interesting that you leave out the fact that Pap was the first to bring up anything about Melee.  Pale simply stated "How are you complaining that Melee was rushed? The game was near perfect..." to which Pap replied with a list of complaints, half of which were pretty stupid (Oh noes, there's an uneven amount of trophies!!!1111)  Thus, it seems to me that this train wreck started with Pap making an uneducated comment that Melee was rushed.  Not that he "felt" it was rushed, but that it *was* rushed, something of which I'm sure Pap has no real knowledge of.

Look, its understandable if you disagree with anything I say regarding Melee. Its such a popular game that people will defend it from its flaws, whether they are apparent or made up. That doesn't bug me at all. Its human nature. However, what DOES bug me is the crap I am getting because I posted valid concerns and complains, like the ones you just mentioned.

You are being a jerk about this. It's a game. Some love it to death, others don't. Learn to deal with it.

As Golden has said already, MOVE ON. Its clear the thread is going nowhere as no one will budge from their opinion.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »
Stop talking about old has-been games.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2007, 08:12:29 AM »
An uneven number of trophies is a "Valid Concern"?

You posted what you considered to be flaws in the game - that's fine.  However, you've not posted any proof that the game was "rushed", which was your initial claim.  Then, you get all pissy because we ask you to back up your claim.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2007, 08:36:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure Sakurai SAID that the game was rushed at one point, but that it was necessary because they needed that Xmas title to push cubes.

They did a good job considering, and my primary complaint about the game wouldn't have changed (that being the speed alienating lesser gamers), but I've beat this argument to death and back.

It doesn't MATTER anymore, though. I'll eat my own legs if Brawl isn't 10X better than Melee in every way anyways. It doesn't matter anymore.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
Alright look.  I'm going to end this right here.

Firstly, I did not say everything I got blamed for.

Secondly, i apologize, but for some reason you guys are taking all of my arguments more personally than they were meant.  With any of my posts, ALWAYS assume that I am good natured.  I make it a rule to try not to post when I'm not in a good mood.

Lastly, I wasn't saying all of Pap's concerns weren't valid.  I was saying that they aren't proof the game was rushed.  You guys are using the word rushed as an excuse when I felt I could give some insight into the development process.  All games have timelines.  If you asked any developer after their game shipped if they would like to add something if given the chance, 99% of them would say yes.

Melee was given a similar timeline.  They did what they could in that timeline and came out with an awesome game.  It's completely valid to wish they could have added even more, but trying to blame the developers is just silly.  They aren't to blame because, as some of you have said, the game was still great.

Much of this hits home more for me because I have had clients who have a similar mindset.  We tell them what can get done in a certain amount of time.  They agree.  Then they see the final product, think of things that could have been added to make it better, and get pissy, even though taken as it is, the product reached all of their original goals and came out great.  Basically people can't magically do everything.

So drop it now.  Internet arguments break down when people start getting personal.  That is why we try to heavily structure the rules here around avoiding personal attacks.  Brushing off an argument by calling someone a fanboy is a personal attack.  Apprarently you guys viewed my posts as a personal attack which I apologize for.  Let's move on and try and stay a bit more cheerful in future arguments.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Pale. Now, let's forget all our troubles over a generous helping of third party games! MMmmmmm Ninjabread!  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2007, 09:05:35 AM »
Ninjabread cuts the roof of my mouth something fierce! Godzilla meat, on the other hand, goes down smooth..

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
Fine I will email this to Pale.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »
Ban GP; ban her now.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2007, 09:26:50 AM »
Vudu you really shouldn't be throwing around ban statements, considering you can be one of the if not the most insulting people here!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »
I'll ban both of you.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »
Like GP before, I decided to just drop this as we are not getting anywhere with this.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2007, 10:08:58 AM »
Would it stir up any more trouble if I pointed out that the proper way to drop a topic isn't to keep coming back and reminding everyone that you're dropping it?  It turns out that's actually a pretty good way of keeping it going, instead.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Would it stir up any more trouble if I pointed out that the proper way to drop a topic isn't to keep coming back and reminding everyone that you're dropping it?  It turns out that's actually a pretty good way of keeping it going, instead.

I don't know what you are talking about, you must be imagining things!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Ninjabread cuts the roof of my mouth something fierce! Godzilla meat, on the other hand, goes down smooth..

Godzilla is being put into Smash Brothers Brawl? Sweet!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2007, 09:45:53 PM »
America is now a PAL territory

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »
What's all this crap in this thread for? Freaking nerds.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2007, 10:34:25 PM »
See the Smash Bros. thread, blame pale!