Author Topic: Gamecube's casing  (Read 16298 times)

Offline simpsonsfan2003

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« on: March 25, 2003, 12:26:47 AM »
I bought a black Gamecube and always after I get done playing my video game systems I cover them with a towel to keep from getting dust on the system while not in use. I did that to my GC and after I removed the towel the system case had scratches on it. That's pretty sad that the GC case is that cheap of plastic. I was wondering if anyone  else has this problem.

-Frank

Offline Toolvana

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 03:59:40 AM »
I highly doubt a towel scratched your GC....unless this towel you used happened to have sand paper attached to it.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 04:09:23 AM »
That seems unlikely. . . and why do you keep a towel on it anyway?  Love our Gamecube, do we?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 04:34:34 AM »
It's possible that the system might have been scratched right out of the box. Or maybe you have some younger siblings or a pet?

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 06:09:55 AM »
Never clean plastic with a towel.  It *will* scratch it.  The best way to clean clear plastic is with air to blow the dust off... and if necessary, a *very* soft cloth (like maybe an old 100% cotten t-shirt).

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 06:38:53 AM »
Aha!  The truth is revealed.  That's right. . . a bit of information I'd lost long ago to the depths of my mind.

But I almost never dust things.  I'll wipe off the dust on my Gamecube with a soft cloth or my shirt/hands, but I think it's rather pointless to do much else.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline captainobvious

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 07:47:06 AM »
i highly doubt a towel could scrath the gamecube. especially becuase its made by nintendo, which makes the highest quality stuff!!!!
In a realm beyond sight,

The Sky shines gold, not blue.

There, the Triforce's might,

Makes mortal dreams come true.

Offline ShutEye

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 08:37:43 AM »
Its not scratches. Its 'natural' fractures in the plastic. I don't remember the exact reasoning but it has to do with the molding process of the plastic. The look like small fissions, they might also be on the controllers. Don't worry, its not a defect and it won't cause any problems. Its just a little aesthetic nuissance.

That said, I have scratched the black removable disk on the GCN top with towel cleaning. O well.

Offline simpsonsfan2003

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 09:45:33 AM »

Originally posted by: captainobvious
i highly doubt a towel could scrath the gamecube. especially becuase its made by nintendo, which makes the highest quality stuff!!!!

The system didn't have scratches when I took it out of the box. I know one thing I will never buy any products from Nintendo ever again. I doubt I'll even buy anymore console systems. Good thing I only bought one game for GC that way I didn't waste to much money. And no I'm not a fanboy, GC is the only new system I bought. I wished I would have saved my money. A GC on display at Wal-Mart had scratch marks around the same area as my system did. Nintendo shouldn't cut corners on material, I used to place a towel on my N64 when it wasn't in use and it never got scratches on it, nor on any other system I had for that matter. Just Nintendo is making shoddy products which is why they wont be getting anymore of my business.

-SimpsonsFan2003

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 09:58:41 AM »
Yeah. Nintendo makes shoddy products. Like when I dropped my old Gameboy down a flight of stairs... TWICE... and still works perfectly to this day. Or the countless times I've flung my N64 controller across the room against the wall after losing another race against that stupid canary in Banjo-Tooie and it still functions just fine...
Yeah, Nintendo sucks.

Offline TracerX

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 11:02:31 AM »
Ahh Josh, lets not forget constant play slamming the controller around during heated SSBM matches. Die Nintendo! Your products last too long! Even my original GameBoy won't stop working :-| *end sarcasm*

TracerX

Offline GokuSSJ2

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 11:09:24 AM »
<sarcasm>
Hmm, my gamecube has a scratch that I can't prove where it came from.  Guess I'm throwing in the towel and never buying Nintendo products again too!  How can I play a perfectly working game when I can't stop staring at this tiny scratch!  </sarcasm>

I really wouldn't care if my gamecube split into 2 pieces and I had to keep it together with a shoelace.  As long as it works and I can play my Zelda (only a few more hours to go till I get it), I'm a happy man!
Love your Gamecube, just don't LOVE your Gamecube

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 11:22:04 AM »
QUESTION!

Simpsonsfan, are these scratches located near the eject, power and reset buttons? If so, deal with it, the majority of GameCube's have minor scratches, or even hairline cracks around these areas. Very easy to notice on the Jet Black GC. It's to do with how the plastic is set.

Now, if you're talking about scratches on the name plate (the big round thing on top), deal with it. It's a bitch, and scratches with extreme ease. They can however, be replaced for a minimal amount of money. Or if you live in Europe, just subscribe to 'Cube' magazine. They have awesome name plates included with the mag on at special times (I'm guessing they'll include another Zelda one when they review the PAL version)

FINALLY, if these scratches are elsewhere... Boo hoo. Do you have the GC sitting in your lap, laughing at you when you play it? No. Nothing can remain in perfect condition, unless you keep it in the box. And that would be sad.

And yes, towels suck. I used to cover my GC with a tea-towel and found I was getting very small scratches on the name plate. I switched to an old T-Shirt. Ahhh, the too small Garfield shirt I got for Christmas back in 2000, finally getting some use =)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 11:29:27 AM »
"I know one thing I will never buy any products from Nintendo ever again."

If scratches on the plastic casing is reason enough for you to never buy Nintendo products again then you probably don't deserve to play videogames.  Who cares about one of two scratches as long as the console works perfectly?  My car has a scratch on it (at it's a 2002 so it's not old) and I still drive it and have no beef with the manufacturer.  My guitar has a scratch too.  Should I throw it away?  Stuff gets scratched and that's just what happens.  Just play some games and stop complaining.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 12:29:23 PM »
Oh yes, and when my Gamecube fell about four feet down onto hard tile; it still works great.  It seems to me that your problem lies not in Nintendo products but in your choice of towels.

Offline hylian sponge

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 01:22:57 PM »
how did u drop ur gamecube, thats horrible , i cant ever imagine my baby going through that  its painful.(my game cube is referred to as "baby")i'll have a heart attack if that happens to me i cant bare watching my baby fall on the floor like that.i dont want to even think about it.
thank god baby has a handle i can hold it from so that this horrible accident that i cant even bare to imagine will ever happen.
i am the sponge from hyrule!!!!!!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 01:34:05 PM »
It was an a piece of furniture at a place I was staying during Thanksgiving.  Some of the people that were playing were in a bunk bed near the TV, but it was too high up and, despite the long cords, my precious Cube got yanked to the cold, hard ground.  Still works, though, like a charm.

Offline T-Tiger

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2003, 02:17:28 PM »
Yes...my grandma scratches herself all the time...and she still works...she's alive and kickin...but then again...she wasn't made by nintendo...OR WAS SHE...*suspense*

*end of sarcasm*

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2003, 03:10:52 PM »

Just Nintendo is making shoddy products which is why they wont be getting anymore of my business.

I couldn't agree more with Ian here.  Sadly nothing can stay in the "just-out-of-the-box" condition; however, saying that Nintendo won't get any more business from you simply because of a few scratches on your console.  If it bothers you that much, just order a new faceplate (if it is indeed the faceplate).  However, do not put blame on Nintendo, at least your console hasn't broke, which alot of people can't say about their PS2 and Xbox, because it is well-known that Nintendo's systems are extremely resistant.

Just as an extreme example, this is like saying that your new GBA SP has fingerprints on it so you are not going to spend more money on GBA games or future GB systems.  Scratches are human errors as are fingerprints, you can't really blame Nintendo for them.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline simpsonsfan2003

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2003, 03:25:14 PM »
The way you people act you come off as if you would kill for Nintendo.

-SimpsonsFan2003  

Offline razorpit

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2003, 04:18:56 PM »
1. Quit your bitch'n.
2. Get a life.
3. Quit spank'n in to your towels and making them all nasty and crusty.
MK
Razor

AC
Code: 4896-9148-8292
Name: Oscar
Town: Burgh

Offline simpsonsfan2003

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2003, 11:31:17 PM »

Originally posted by: razorpit
1. Quit your bitch'n.
2. Get a life.
3. Quit spank'n in to your towels and making them all nasty and crusty.

Real mature you know that? Atleast you could act sophisticated on a public forum.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2003, 11:54:26 PM »
erm... everything sufferes damage during its life, nintendo haven't yet (but they will) discovered how to make a console out of that living mercury stuff the T1000 is built out of, but the day they do is the day you can buy a nintendo product that doesn't scratch but seriously, if your so anal about your console and its scratches, like get a cabinent for it, and line it with felt or something

also... i would have figured someone called "simpsonsfan2003" would have had a sense of humour O_o i was wrong

Offline egman

• View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2003, 12:50:12 AM »
simpsonsfan2003--It's not so much that people here will kill for Nintendo, the problem is that your complaint is very weak in light of the reality that over time your console will suffer some type of defacement. As long as it's not so major that it becomes a distraction or hinders the way the system plays games, you shouldn't frett over it. If you are willing to give up the system so quickly over a few minor scratches, one has to wonder if you really cared for the system in the first place.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Gamecube's casing
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2003, 01:35:18 AM »
Oh god, give me a break. A fricken scratch? Hell, and youre complaining about Nintendo products bring shoddy because you damaged the weak part of the plastic with a towel. Geez, Nintendo products are the most frigin durable things on the planet. I used to live in an apartment and when i went to my friends house who lived in the apartment next to me (i liked to play N64 on his big screen), i used to throw the N64 from the window in my apartment, to the window in his (about 6 metres away) apartment, because i was too lazy to take it up there and because i knew that if it fell, then it wouldnt brake. And you're complaining about a freakin scratch?!