Author Topic: review alien syndrome already!!!  (Read 32628 times)

Offline Case

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:review alien syndrome already!!!
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2007, 04:04:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
I'll agree with the whole price point thing.

Game can be fun but is it 50 dollars fun? Alien Syndrome doesn't seem like a game worth purchasing. Renting maybe but not purchasing.

Just my take on it.

Yeah, I forgot about that. $100AU is a little out there, but hey. For as big as the game sounds maybe that is a fair price. I beleive that's a seperate arguement in my books though. I mean, all budget titles have been remakes, full of minigames and whatnot... it's such a grey area, isn't it? o_O Raving Rabbids is $100AU... Smooth Moves is $70AU? To quote a superhero/wrestler, "WASSUPWITDAT!? O_O"
^_^

Offline therat

• View Profile
RE: review alien syndrome already!!!
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2007, 04:24:14 AM »
the graphics are fine, yet, sometimes there is so much going on in it, you get lost in a crowd of baddies. the camera is VERY annoying to me, the only way to navigate properly is make you mini map unrotatable and look at that for all the route to go to the next area. (haha, i have a prob with the mini map as well, you CANNOT tell which way your arrow is facing on it. wth, there is a bunch of things that make you go "why", but it doesnt KILL the game)

To golden Phoenix, yes, i was desperate for a new wii game, but i enjoy the gauntlet genre, and this isn't bad, i had fun playing.

I played solo as a firebug (which i wish i kept doing). Flame is strong, and set them on fire. Flame depletes ammo, but ammo and health is VERY abundant it almost doesnt matter. You arent invincible though, you can get lost in the heat of the battle and realize you are dead.

Second time i played with a buddy i went seal. Seal has the laser rifle which depletes from your energy (not health, energy can be used to turn on a sheild as well). The laser rifle, when you shoot it, is very bright, i almost wish you can turn down some effects. It is weak as ass, but very rapid, id rather have stuck with flame.

My friend went melee, and even though you dont get the fun of running and gunning, he is UBER STRONG, doing about 120 damage when he uses a hard swing.

I also played as demo for a second, he shoot sshells like demo man from Team FOrtress, seems pretty cool.

To insanolord, you can use a trait point or two towards something called packrat, so you dont have to increase your str to hold more.

About the mini games, they are confusing as hell if you do not read the first screen telling you how to play. Aiming with the wii mote and flicking with the chuck was hard at first, but i can beat the minis easily now.

To kairon, how do you use the neural adaptars? they are in my inventory, but dont have an equip option like the addons to your helperbot.

They games cool with a bunch of annoying things i cannot believe werent irons out. if you ever see it for 30-40 and like gauntlet 4 player, its worth it, more fun then marvel alliance, but it was easier to keep track of yourself in MA. shrugs. ok, whos getting strikers monday? we gotto have a NWR tournement.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2007, 06:37:36 AM »
Yeah, I found the packrat stat, it is extremely useful. The more I play this game the more I like it. I do have a love of this type of game, and it's not for everyone, but if you at all enjoy these types of games, this one's pretty good. I said I'd give it a 7 earlier, now I'd bump that up to about 7.5, with the possibility of 8.0. Online co-op would have been really cool, especially since I could have hooked up with Kairon and therat and tried that; I don't have a lot of people around me who are even remotely gamers most of the time, but I'll bet this one is great co-op.

To those arguing about the price point, you may have a decent point. I am enjoying it and don't regret buying it for $50, but some might. I'd advise at least a rental, though, and maybe pick it up if the price drops a bit. Like I said, it may not look the greatest, but it's fun.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2007, 06:42:51 AM »
yeah, mp online woulda been the tits.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »

" But, when I play it... on the hardest difficulty... and defeat the Great Khali with Micky James... the gameplay is quite... dull. I chucked in WWE Day of Reckoning ONE. (I imported the second, but lent my freeloader to my girlfriend so I had to play the first) And I always forget how FUN the game is... and challenging at the same time.
Offtopic, I completely agree with this. SDvR's gameplay just can't hold a candle to Day of Reckoning.. it's just so much worse in so many ways. I'm disappointed that they're continuing the SDvR line on Wii and not DoR.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I think all you need is to have the neural adapters in your inventory and they automatically improve your stuff. Get a bunch of 'em and you start feeling pretty strong. I agree that for some people, it'd be better to wait for a price drop, but that's true of a lot of games. Personally, I'm enjoying this so much I don't mind paying the full price. Also, it IS too bad the game isn't online... it would've made things so much easier. *sigh*

Oh well, that's what younger brothers are for.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2007, 02:18:18 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Sounds like Red Steel all over again "Hey this is an average game but since it is 3rd party and I am desperate for games my standards have been lowered to compensate unconsciously".

Yeah, except that Red Steel was good and most people didn't take time to learn the "crappy" controls..

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2007, 04:01:37 PM »

Sounds like Red Steel all over again "Hey this is an average game but since it is 3rd party and I am desperate for games my standards have been lowered to compensate unconsciously".
You know VGRevolution, for someone who reprimanded Svevan when he was condescending towards people who read books from Danielle Steele and the like, you're being awfully elitist yourself with that opinion on other people's gaming tastes..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

You know VGRevolution, for someone who reprimanded Svevan when he was condescending towards people who read books from Danielle Steele and the like, you're being awfully elitist yourself with that opinion on other people's gaming tastes..

In the interest of full disclosure, I recently bought and read a book called "The Sapphire Sky" by Kristin James. I picked it up on a whim along with Dances with Wolves and Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, so I was feeling adventurous and figured that I had been ignorant long enough about this strange and utterly alien "romance" genre.

... Now I'm intent on hunting down more books by the same author, whose real name is Candance Camp. Not only was it surprisingly well written, but it was an engaging and contemporary story to boot!  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »

No it is because I feel it is doing more harm than good then defending games as being great games and running down reviewers as being paid off. You like a game, fine. But don't pretend that everyone else is unfairly picking on the game, sometimes it is fine to admit that a game can induce an average response from someone without there being some big conspiracy. For example, I really enjoyed a game called Battletanks for N64, but reviewers gave it an average score, and guess what? I thought it was justified, same goes with Mario Party 8, which while I enjoyed it I will openly admit Nintendo needs to do much better the next time around. Not sure about that Danielle Steele thing I've never even heard of the author before!

Also I plan on picking up Escape from Bug Island!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2007, 07:57:53 PM »

" But, when I play it... on the hardest difficulty... and defeat the Great Khali with Micky James... the gameplay is quite... dull. I chucked in WWE Day of Reckoning ONE. (I imported the second, but lent my freeloader to my girlfriend so I had to play the first) And I always forget how FUN the game is... and challenging at the same time.
Offtopic, I completely agree with this. SDvR's gameplay just can't hold a candle to Day of Reckoning.. it's just so much worse in so many ways. I'm disappointed that they're continuing the SDvR line on Wii and not DoR.

Bahaha! THIS TREAD IS NOW ABOUT SD! vs RAW vs DOR!! GOGOGO O_O

Hehehe. But yeah, off topic again.
It is a bit of a disapointment, but I look on the bright side. The only reason I would by a PS3 is for SD vs Raw.

If it's coming on Wii, I don't need a PS3.
MY LOGIC IS SOLID

*does a Triple H 'suck it' pose with the Wii Remotes.*
Ohhh yeah. That feels good.
"If you're not down with that, WE GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA!! ^_^"
*Masive crowd screems "suck it"*

Damn. I wish Triple H and HBK was going to be in Perth tonight... I got to settle for the Great Khali and Batista

Hehehehe... anyways... yes.
Please continue with the... um... what game is this thread about? o_O I'm so b&ed... -_-
^_^

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Case

It is a bit of a disapointment, but I look on the bright side. The only reason I would by a PS3 is for SD vs Raw.

MY LOGIC IS SOLID

Damn. I wish Triple H and HBK was going to be in Perth tonight... I got to settle for the Great Khali and Batista

Please continue with the... um... what game is this thread about? o_O I'm so b&ed... -_-

And neither holds a candle to WWF Wrestlemania or WWF No Mercy on N64.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »
Are staffers supposed to intentionally derail threads?

Anyways, back on topic:

You know Case, Iansane is a great fan of wrestling games too! I can't wait till you meet him! He's the heart and soul of this forum!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Anyways, back on topic:

You know Case, Iansane is a great fan of wrestling games too! I can't wait till you meet him! He's the heart and soul of this forum!

I feel very sorry for case.

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Case

MY LOGIC IS SOLID

And neither holds a candle to WWF Wrestlemania or WWF No Mercy on N64.

Amen sister.

Anyways, back on topic:

I'm a staffer...? o_O Ohh shi- I am too! I should act more proffesional huh... ^_^;
I also like meeting lotsa wrestling fans... so Iansane should show himself soon. We can sense eachothers presence... ^_^

I feel very sorry for case.

*gulps* o_O

^_^

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2007, 06:16:23 AM »
Where has Ian been?  I haven't seen him around lately...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2007, 08:55:52 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy

All the positive Nintendo news, such as Nintendo being the 5th biggest company in Japan, has scared him away.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »

I agree that for some people, it'd be better to wait for a price drop, but that's true of a lot of games. Personally, I'm enjoying this so much I don't mind paying the full price. Also, it IS too bad the game isn't online... it would've made things so much easier. *sigh*

Online co-op might've made the game worth $50 to me.  The only person I ever seem to play video games with anymore doesn't have time to come over very often anymore.
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

I agree that for some people, it'd be better to wait for a price drop, but that's true of a lot of games. Personally, I'm enjoying this so much I don't mind paying the full price. Also, it IS too bad the game isn't online... it would've made things so much easier. *sigh*

Online co-op might've made the game worth $50 to me.  The only person I ever seem to play video games with anymore doesn't have time to come over very often anymore.

I totally agree with you. Now that I live away from home, I can't play as often with my younger bro anymore. /sad This is why I'm eagerly waiting for both Endless Ocean and BWii... online co-op 4TW!!!

Originally posted by: thatguy

All the positive Nintendo news, such as Nintendo being the 5th biggest company in Japan, has scared him away.

Is it true that he doesn't have a Wii yet? Wow... I'm spoiled by my pre-ordered Launch Wii! *hugs Wii*

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
BWii has online multi???? sweet, after playing through entrie first level and upgrading my demo guys gun all the way, its gotten alittle repetitive. i have a super strong land mine dropper, i just run up to guys, hit fire and everyone explodes... hehe. i guess now i can level up my melee!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »
I liked WCW vs nWo Revenge better than WM2000 and No Mercy, only because I could put anyone in an nWo T-Shirt, Hollywood or Wolfpack. It's the little things like that, say for instance SD vs RAW 2008 will probably be horrible on Wii, but physically telling the other player to suck it, well, that makes it the greatest game of all time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »
I knew BWII was online (it was one of the first two games confirmed to be Wi-Fi enabled, along with Strikers, back before the Wii was even released), but it wasn't until recently that I learned that that included co-op and I was extremely excited.

No it is because I feel it is doing more harm than good then defending games as being great games and running down reviewers as being paid off. You like a game, fine. But don't pretend that everyone else is unfairly picking on the game, sometimes it is fine to admit that a game can induce an average response from someone without there being some big conspiracy. For example, I really enjoyed a game called Battletanks for N64, but reviewers gave it an average score, and guess what? I thought it was justified, same goes with Mario Party 8, which while I enjoyed it I will openly admit Nintendo needs to do much better the next time around. Not sure about that Danielle Steele thing I've never even heard of the author before!

I don't think the reviewer was paid off; if they were paying him off they probably would have sent them a review copy

I don't think this is an all-time great game, but it is very entertaining. I'm not asking they give it a 9 or an 8, but 5 is too low. The reviewer did the same with Heatseeker (a cool arcade-style flight game with great Wii controls; using the nunchuk as a flight stick is great, and also a great example of how sensitive the nunchuk sensor is), a PS2 port, they talked about the graphics for about 80-90 percent of the review. That, I believe, got a 6.5, which I think is about accurate. I had fun with it, but it was a bit repetitive and certain parts (carrier landings) were overly tough. If they'd given Alien Syndrome a 7, or even a 6.5, it would be fine. I would give it better, but as a general guide it makes sense. Even if the reviewer insists on giving it a 5.5, he should spend more time talking about what he thinks are gameplay flaws and less whining about the graphics. If he cares about graphics that much he should switch to reviewing PS3 games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »
Yay! Another Heatseeker appreciator! You're AWESOME INSANOLORD! So AWESOME!

Either way, I'm not here to say that the game score should be higher. Game scores are an entire different conversation! But I am here to say that if you're a gauntlet fan, give Alien Syndrome a shot! It's actually quite enjoyable!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2007, 07:05:15 PM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
I knew BWII was online (it was one of the first two games confirmed to be Wi-Fi enabled, along with Strikers, back before the Wii was even released), but it wasn't until recently that I learned that that included co-op and I was extremely excited.

I don't think the reviewer was paid off; if they were paying him off they probably would have sent them a review copy

I don't think this is an all-time great game, but it is very entertaining. I'm not asking they give it a 9 or an 8, but 5 is too low. The reviewer did the same with Heatseeker (a cool arcade-style flight game with great Wii controls; using the nunchuk as a flight stick is great, and also a great example of how sensitive the nunchuk sensor is), a PS2 port, they talked about the graphics for about 80-90 percent of the review. That, I believe, got a 6.5, which I think is about accurate. I had fun with it, but it was a bit repetitive and certain parts (carrier landings) were overly tough. If they'd given Alien Syndrome a 7, or even a 6.5, it would be fine. I would give it better, but as a general guide it makes sense. Even if the reviewer insists on giving it a 5.5, he should spend more time talking about what he thinks are gameplay flaws and less whining about the graphics. If he cares about graphics that much he should switch to reviewing PS3 games.

You are being completely disingenuous to his review, he comments on other aspects as well when determining the score. That includes price, camera control, IR lag, in addition to the visuals. I'm not sure if Bozon follows Matt's rating style, but it appears he did in that he said that fun can be found in the game but that there are much better games out there. So a 5.5 is slightly above average.  I find it funny that this is compared to Gauntlet, yet if memory serves, the "next-gen" gauntlet games sold for around $30-40 at launch.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »

If he cares about graphics that much he should switch to reviewing PS3 games.

Well just because it's a Wii doesn't mean the game shouldn't look nice.