Author Topic: review alien syndrome already!!!  (Read 32633 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:review alien syndrome already!!!
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
never played Monkey Ball?  [or rather, learned to adapt to it and make decent progress]  That stage was easy.

Originally posted by: Kairon
Blame the controls! I'm buying the Wii version, happy?

Ey you, learn to play video games.  I got my friend's wife addicted to RE4 on Cube, and she had never played an RE game or an FPS for that matter.  She's earned eveything there is to earn in that game.  [as well as Tales of Symphonia, her first RPG excluding Symphony of the Night]

I haven't played Monkey Ball for Wii.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: review alien syndrome already!!!
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2007, 08:39:55 AM »
I got a non-reader into reading by challenging him to race me at the Lord of the Rings books. Those books put me to sleep, and he absolutely ate 'em up and beat me handily. Does that mean I need to learn to read?

Besides, I'm a Nintendo gamer. I've been spoiled by Nintendo controls all my life.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »
i just bought it, ill let you guys know what the rat thinks in a bit

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2007, 10:30:47 AM »
You know, I agree with Kairon a lot more than most of you do.  I think I might pick this one up if I hear that one of my friends will be playing.  I love the whole multiplayer thing he talks about the possibility of.

And if I felt like spending the cash, I'd own about a hundred VC games, too.  I've already spent about $120 there, too.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
You know, I agree with Kairon a lot more than most of you do.  I think I might pick this one up if I hear that one of my friends will be playing.  I love the whole multiplayer thing he talks about the possibility of.

And if I felt like spending the cash, I'd own about a hundred VC games, too.  I've already spent about $120 there, too.

So you've picked up Far Cry for Wii?

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
my review, id give it a 7.
the inventory is alil bit of a pain to keep track of. you are either overlaoded and cant pick up new items, or you dont know what you can scrap or what is better for you (it seems, maybe im missing something).
theres a bunch to shoot, the checkpoints are easy, so if you die you can start over , not alot of loading.

main issue for me is ..CAMERA! its directly overhead, id like alil more control over where the cam would be. i only played it single player so far, i can only imagine the multiplayer gets more fun.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2007, 12:03:44 PM »
Why yes, with full intent to play it someday...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »
Well gamespot just reviewed the game and gave it a 5/10.  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2007, 02:34:56 PM »
I'll probably get it.  I agree with GS less and less as time goes by.  They're pretty crooked sometimes.  Sega probably didn't have high enough quality whores for them this time around.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »

I'll probably get it.  I agree with GS less and less as time goes by.  They're pretty crooked sometimes.  Sega probably didn't have high enough quality whores for them this time around.

IGN now Gamespot, that is not looking pretty. I knew there was trouble when Sega held onto the game and didn't let reviewers get ahold of it in time to write reviews.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »
You keep letting the man tell you which games to play.  I'll keep enjoying my video games, thank you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »

You keep letting the man tell you which games to play.  I'll keep enjoying my video games, thank you.

Aka....let me live in denial.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
Gee... I hope y'all like it. Although if you're Gauntlet fans then you'll do fine. Just don't forget to save at the checkpoints like I forgot to. *doh!*

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Aka....let me live in denial.

It's the 51st state!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »
Kairon, I know I'll like it.  I glanced over the review and it described some things I like in multiplayer games.  Though, they lacked mentioning the multiplayer in that review.  I don't trust big reviews anymore, though.  I hope GP stops trusting them soon enough, too.

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »
well, just played 3 hours with one friend, id say it should get a 6 or 7. there are many little stupid things with the interface, like picking up loots and having to sell it, and inventory that you can buy that is worthless or unusable (they could have dropped it completely). if you like gauntlet, this will be fun for ya, yet sometimes after a few hours, and a few beers, it alsmot seems like evrything blurred together and ya dont know what you are looking at.

there was a part with a hole in the floor, like a tunnel, and i was like ooooh, look down there, my firned said, lemme push u like senator palaptine and i just dove in, pretty funny sound effect, it was unexpected, didnt think it would let u fall in holes to doom. um, the upgrade system is pretty cool.

basically its decent fun mind numbing action. id say if you like gauntlet or such, this isnt terrible at all by any means. it just has a bunch of little quirky things in it that make you say "why...?" but the whys are just little things that waste time in between mindless slaughtering of hordes of aliens.... hell,  my final review score is 7.2 =o)

BTW, screw big reviewers, just cause sega didnt pay them off doesnt make their game any worse (granted, it isnt perfect by a long shot). it is much better then that hunter game, ill tell you that for suree.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »
I was a huge fan of Phantasy Star Online, the original one, back before they charged monthly fees for it.

This game is a lot like that, in a really good way. There are a few annoying points, like the fact that I have to keep investing my level-up points into Strength to increase my carrying capabilities, and that the in-game directions for the stat-increasing and treasure chest-opening minigames are a bit cconfusing. The camera is annoying in how it's a bit too stiff and hard to remember the right way to do it in the heat of combat, but it would be a lot worse if it were looser and you could easily make it change accidentally, so that's at least something in it's favor.

I would give it a 7, which could increase a bit as I get more used to some of the quirky things.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2007, 08:29:20 PM »
Dear god these levels are HUGE. I played another 3 hours today, going deeper and deeper, and I've got some pretty good loot by now. Almost all of my armor pieces have bonuses on them, and my favorites are the ones with +20 max weight stats on 'em. My max weight right now is around 170... no wait, 270 since I found myself some epic S.P.U.D. boots! Hehehe, makes my inventory troubles just disappear. Still, everytime I save I like to clear out my inventory of extra weapons, armor, and ammo for all weapons I don't use. And I never keep 2 of the same neural adapters or accessories, nor do I keep more than 10 of each type of restorative item.

Oh yeah, I found that hole therat. Bah. I really didn't like it. I walked right in going "I wonder if you can fall down holes..." and guess what? I fell. I wonder if there are any other holes in the game, or if the programmers just put those few holes in for lame attempts at level hazard variety.

Still haven't played this multiplayer. My roommate is too busy finishing harry potter.

Hey guys, what classes are you? I'm a Seal, but I guess what you start doesn't make a difference since I'm pouring a TON of points into both endurance (for life) and accuracy (for critical hit % and bonus damage). I'm using the laser rifle, but I was able to make myself a MkII rifle, which was a GREAT improvement. The Mk I does 1-2 dmg, the Mk II does 1-15. Thank god, now my critical hits will actually do some SERIOUS damage. Also, I've got armor and items with energy regen bonuses, so much so that I can almost never run out of shots for my laser rifle now!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »
::Looks around:: I think I've proven my point about the desperation of Wii fans. For your information I have usually agreed with IGN's reviews, and usually when both IGN and Gamespot give an average score, it usually indicates something. Though I do find it funny that the PSP version is getting better reviews! Also random holes, reused boss models, poor level variety, poor camera, and sloppily overly large levels sound like a winner as well.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »
I can't imagine playing this on the PSP though, each stage takes like, an hour to beat. Checkpoints can be 10-30 minutes in-between.  How in the world is that portable, and what does that do to one's battery life?!?!?!?!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I can't imagine playing this on the PSP though, each stage takes like, an hour to beat. Checkpoints can be 10-30 minutes in-between.  How in the world is that portable, and what does that do to one's battery life?!?!?!?!

Probably a lot less than what it does to your brain when mixed with Far Cry.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »
Moderators! GP is trolling me! /cry

:P

Seriously though, How IGN can rate the PSP higher is beyond me. You get 4-player out of the box with the Wii, whereas the PSP requires everyone have their own ($40) disc. Plus this game's ginormous levels seem very ill-suited for the PSP's low battery life, and portable nature. The Wii version even seems to have more sensible controls, especially after reading this:

The gunplay in Alien Syndrome PSP is also a bit different from the Wii's IR usage (obviously), requiring you to make use of a strafe button while using only "fire where you walk" controls. This makes the game less like a Smash TV, and more like classic shooters like Commando or Ikari Warriors. It makes circle-strafing a bit more difficult, and the controls aren't quite as fluid, but the strange "slow down while turning" issue that was in the Wii version isn't an issue on PSP, making it a bit more manageable.

For the record, I don't have a clue as to what they're talking about with the "slowdown while turning" bit. I navigate completely fine on the Wii. I'd even go so far as to say that the Wii version is the definitive version for all the above reasons.

I think that Alien Syndrome is simply a victim of hardcore gamer style inflation. It's not just that the graphics (which get the job done) aren't blazingly high-poly-high-rez-self-shadowing-omg-is-that-bloom?!?!?!? It's also that I think small, simple, straightforward designs are being undervalued. Just like Iwata said that if Tetris were pitched today, it'd need a million things added to it, I think that some look at the straightforward, grounded "Gauntlet" gameplay of Alien Syndrome and marvel that the game is utterly devoid of layers upon layers of extra features to gussy it up enough to sit on the shelf.

Personally, I don't need to be tricked into having fun by being bombarded with features and cutscenes and extras and eye candy. If I can have fun with the game, I'll have fun with it. And by golly, I'm a Gauntlet fan. And a Tetris fan too.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »
The fact still remains the game is $50 and for what you call a straightforward game that is unacceptable. You also have to realize that the same reviewer didn't do both versions, so that factors into the ratings though I can see why the PSP would get higher because it is somewhat excusable (Heck on the PSP Alien Syndrome may seem like game of the year compared to the competition).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
The effect that price should have on a game's review score is a DEFINITE gray area, although in my opinion, since the review score doesn't increase whenever the game goes on sale, the review scores should be completely independent of game price, though the write-ups will obviously touch on price as a consideration. For example, IGN gave Wii Play a 5.5 despite the fact that the "game" itself amounted to a $10 purchase.

Oh wait... how many people here are actually ENJOYING playing Wii Play and challenging each other's high scores? Hmmm...

Also, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that Mark Bozon did BOTH reviews of AS for the Wii and PSP at IGN. Still, I stand by my assessments with the prospective quality of the PSP version.

Oh, and...

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Also random holes, reused boss models, poor level variety, poor camera, and sloppily overly large levels sound like a winner as well.

Yummy yummy. I loves me some gross exageration.  

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2007, 10:59:32 PM »
I just read the GameSpot review. They were harsh, huh.

In my eyes, graphics is not the most important thing when it comes to any game what-so-ever. Yes. They help, when I see the amazing models on Smackdown! vs Raw on the PS2 I go "Oooo! Ahhhhh! That looks just like the Boogieman! (And he's coming to getcha :P)" But, when I play it... on the hardest difficulty... and defeat the Great Khali with Micky James... the gameplay is quite... dull. I chucked in WWE Day of Reckoning ONE. (I imported the second, but lent my freeloader to my girlfriend so I had to play the first) And I always forget how FUN the game is... and challenging at the same time.

Yes. That is a big ramble based on WWE games (you'll come to find, people, I'm obsessed ). I have not played Alien Syndrome. I am in no place to say wether or not it is good or bad. Take the facts, what you like and what you hate. The point of my big ass ramble that has gone absolutely no-where.. (and you'll also come to find I just ramble... a lot... and it will be like I'm talking to myself. But that's alright, because I enjoy it ).. is that some peoples priorities are not with graphics and prettyness, that's either good or bad depending on your perspective, but graphics never stood in the way of a great fun game. ^_^ </ramble>

*eidttt...

also, do not quote me. But I think an Alien Syndrome review is coming very soon here, so ^_^!
^_^

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2007, 03:44:59 AM »
I'll agree with the whole price point thing.

Game can be fun but is it 50 dollars fun? Alien Syndrome doesn't seem like a game worth purchasing. Renting maybe but not purchasing.

Just my take on it.