Author Topic: Contra 4  (Read 20971 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Contra 4
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak

but man…when you're spending your first hour or two with the game to get through Level One on Normal, perhaps someone testing the game should have raised their hands and said "Um, can you turn it down…just a notch? Please?"

Can you say pussy?

I made it through the normal mode's first stage dying only once on my first run. It was the hard mode that got me. Even then it wasn't too bad.

::Gasp:: Someone isn't as good as you are in a game, I hope it makes you feel better to insult them, because that really makes you a man. Anyway I am a bit let down by the game, I was expecting a Contra 3 experience and what I got was an experience on par with the NES games which I did not care for. Also, maybe it is just me, but some of these levels seem to go on a bit too long. Also, I could swear that Contra 3 had better visuals. Then again that could be because I haven't played it lately.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2007, 06:17:01 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak

but man…when you're spending your first hour or two with the game to get through Level One on Normal, perhaps someone testing the game should have raised their hands and said "Um, can you turn it down…just a notch? Please?"

Can you say pussy?

I made it through the normal mode's first stage dying only once on my first run. It was the hard mode that got me. Even then it wasn't too bad.

::Gasp:: Someone isn't as good as you are in a game, I hope it makes you feel better to insult them, because that really makes you a man.

I must humbly apologize if I offend you by making fun of your favorite hypocrites at IGN. I'm sorry they constantly whine about how games aren't hardcore enough for them, but when I truly hardcore game comes their way, they cry to their mommy. I'm sorry they made a game that is suppose to be difficult... difficult. After all, everybody knows Contra games are suppose to be the easiest game in the world.

Offline Sabe002

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
Can you save? I read a review last month that said if you die, you have to start at the beginning again. I thought that seemed odd since it is a handheld.
Thanks for the input.
Help a sister out!

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
RE: Contra 4
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
Actually, you DON'T start from the beginning when you die... provided you reach the half way point of the stage. Also, interestingly enough, you can save in this game. It's automatic. If you got up to stage 4 and have to turn off, when you play again, you can start at stage 4 (beginning) and continue playing.

Offline Sabe002

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »
I thought that might be wrong. It would really frustrate me if you had to beat the game in one sitting. Although Super C began my first all night game sessions. i was not going to get it if you could not save, just cause it would get very angry when I died!
Help a sister out!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Okay, I got the game and finally played a good part of it by switching to easy (had to try forever to even get past the first level on normal, totally imbalanced difficulty). In some ways it's really weak. E.g. the difficulty balance is really bad, the first 1.5 stages seem to be among the hardest parts of the game, especially with the first having hard to see enemies (those prone guys are almost invisible if you don't slow down and look for them) and lots of enemies taking a lot of shots to down (in the previous games they'd all die after one shot, at least in the early levels). The balance is basically set up so starting on Normal difficulty is impossible and you HAVE to use Easy to get anywhere and get enough time to learn how to play. Easy mode is really stupid as well, instead of reducing the number of enemies and bullets it seems like all they did was give you an obscene amount of extra lifes and buffed weapons (except for the standard peashooter which still takes forever to kill anything, feeling more like Metal Slug than Contra).

I think the only other Contra that gave me as much trouble on the first level already was Hard Corps. On Super Contra 3, Super C and Contra (arcade) I could get to the second or third level fairly easily.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
When I played the demo before it came out I had no problems with the first stage other than dying a couple times to a random shot, it was stage 2 and on that worked my nerves like crazy.  Truth be told, I was never able to beat it on normal until I've gone through about 14 of those challenge mode objectives.  By that time the game started clicking, but yeah it did feel like the game was out to kick your teeth in a little too early on.  I'm not the biggest fan of the jumping in this game either.  On numerous occasions I've attempted a jump onto a platform directly above me only to fall right through it even though the sprite is clearly above its ground level, something that never happened on any of the older games.  Another thing is that I feel like the palette of the game is not necessarily too dark, but that there's not enough contrast between the environments and the sprites and projectiles that you really need to see.  It's been the cause of my deaths in so many situations it's bothersome.  Other than that, the game is pretty damn good, especially considering that for whatever reason or another Konami didn't make the game.  Virt nailed the soundtrack though, they couldn't have picked a better musician.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
Finally beat this game tonight. I love it, it makes me want to buy contra 3 on vc. I like the flame thrower better in C3, but the powered up flame shot in 4 is strong as hell, and it's a nice throw back to super C. The final boss fight was great, I beat it on my last continue and mostly because I had a powered up laser that I would switch out of right before i would get hit. Just out of curiosity, has anyone else beat this on normal or hard yet? I know that easy mode leaves out the last two levels, I wonder if there is any more to hard?
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2008, 01:36:37 AM »
Yeah, sprite contrast and the screen split are really nasty in this game.