Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3190004 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2006, 03:24:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I actually expected Nintendo Wii to do this good and better.  I predict 2007 will be the year of the Wii and Nintendo, and it will sell extremely well.  But I believe either late 2007 or early to mid 2008 Wii sales will start to drop significantly as the PS3 and Xbox 360 begin to really push their upper limits of graphical power.  

Then I unfortunately predict a steady decline for Nintendo.  The Wii will have been a huge success probably doubling the Gamecube sales in just one year, and 3rd parties will continue to make games for the system, but it just won't be as steady of sales for Wii for the rest of its lifecycle.

I hope I am wrong...but that is my realistic prediction.

As for all this Dragon Ball Z talk.  I hate the show.  It takes way too long to tell a single story...with a single fight taking 5-10 episodes (slight exaggeration) and the english voices and narrator is annoying and obnixious.  

However, I really want to try this Dragon Ball Z game out.  Is it good with the Wii controller?  better with the classic?

And after you answer this question...please let this thread go back to Sales.

The game controls fine with the Wii mote and Nunchuk. It just take a while to get used to. I missed around with the classic controller, to be honest it was easier to pick up (although the lack of any details of how to use conventional controls in the manual was annoying). That said, its not as fun. It something about pulling back your Wii-mote and pushing it forward to hurl a Kamehaha or other energy wave attack that is just satisfying. Sticking with the Wii-mote pays off IMO.

As for DBZ, yeah I can see why the anime could be hated. Toei stretched out the fights, added in pointless filler episodes, etc. The manga is much better. There is now way DBZ should be 290+ episodes. It should be half that amount. Toei was just stretching it out to make more cash. Dragonball GT is completely made up. There is no manga. Toei created that crap to squeeze even more money out of the Dragon Ball license.

As for the original voice actors for the English dub, outside of Goku I think they original cast was better as well. I don't share hatred of the second voice over crew that some of you do though.

"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2006, 03:24:29 AM »
Wow. Double post. I just realized that there is no delete option on this forum. Hm...guess I'll make use of it. Worldwide sales of the Wii are approximately 1.8 million. The Wii is currently outselling the PS3 3 to 1. The PS3 has just under 600,000 units sold. Which gives it less than a tenth of the 360s userbase. In other words, Sony is pretty much screwed.

"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2006, 06:32:57 AM »
I predicted back in September that the Wii would be hard to get well into the end of the year and I did it in a podcast so I have recorded proof.

The PS3 has just under 600,000 units sold. Which gives it less than a tenth of the 360s userbase. In other words, Sony is pretty much screwed.

It's things like this which make me think NGW is inaccurate. Simply put, I don't think Sony has made that many consoles, let alone sold them.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2006, 07:49:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I predicted back in September that the Wii would be hard to get well into the end of the year and I did it in a podcast so I have recorded proof.

The PS3 has just under 600,000 units sold. Which gives it less than a tenth of the 360s userbase. In other words, Sony is pretty much screwed.

It's things like this which make me think NGW is inaccurate. Simply put, I don't think Sony has made that many consoles, let alone sold them.
NGW has PS3 at ~450k units, the one who has it at ~600k is VGCharts.org (which also has Wii at ~2M instead of ~1.7M)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2006, 08:17:04 AM »
Ah, I see.

Still, 450k sounds high to me.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »
I think 450K is quite possible.  PS3's Japan sales are around 180,000, and I think North America was 197,000 in November (those are going by Media Create and NPD) so that's 377,000 right there.  I think it's entirely possible Sony sold another 80,000 in North America in the past two weeks, in fact that seems a little low.

Both VGcharts and Nexgenwars are just guessing, though.  You'll notice any time actual figures come out there's a large adjustment to the Nexgenwars figures, and I bet the same happens on VGcharts.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
All these broken records are starting to sound like... broken records

Which is a wonderful thing!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »
vgcharts.org is based largely on guesses, rumors and misinformation and should not be taken seriously.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2006, 07:57:33 PM »
Mario, can we look forward to your always entertaining sarcasm in this Wii sales thread?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
If nexgenwars is right...Wii has nearly 17% of the market now. Wii at 1.85 million worldwide. Xbox 360 has been selling like hotcakes as well. PS3 is dead in the water - look at the $10 over retail prices going on eBay. Also, go to your local Wal-Mart and look at the PS3s sitting in the glass case waiting to be bought. Then go back on Saturday night and look at the people camping out for a Wii.
I guess you can technically just look at the image in BnM21's post on the 1st page for sales updates...here it is as well.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2006, 04:57:03 PM »
I don't quite see why people are touting graphics in the distant future or the PS3's '10-year lifespan' or whatever. What will computers look like 10 years from now? What did they look like 10 years ago? I can tell you one thing: they'll make all three of the consoles available (or not available) today look like utter crap, in terms of hardware specs. It's been 5 years since GCN was released, maybe 6 since PS2 was released, and the stuff you can play on a decent computer today makes each console look quite dated.

If Nintendo waits 8-10 years to put out a new console, it's doomed regardless...which is why I agree we'll probably see a Wii2 in 5 or less years, or whatever next-generation solution Nintendo decides to cook up next. Honestly, in light of what even mid-level computers with hardware upgrades can put out these days, I think that the most compelling arguments towards consoles in general revolve around the aspects that PCs can't easily duplicate: input mechanisms specialized for gaming, easy setup, same-room multiplayer action. These are aspects upon which the Wii is competing.

Also, graphics improvements will only continue to grow more incremental. It's easier to see the difference between a 100 and 1000-poly model than between one, for example, that has 10000 and another with 5000 or so. I think that art direction is going to play a larger role in the future, an aspect which is less dependent upon hardware capable of rendering more and more photorealistic graphics, and more dependent upon the creative vision of the designer.

And I really hope they don't get backlogged into spring...  
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2006, 06:04:59 PM »
Well, Zelda is out of the Japan top 30, with two other Wii games in the top 10 it's now safe to conclude that Zelda TP is the biggest flop of all time, not only is it the lowest selling Zelda ever, it has not even surpassed sales of Tingle RPG. To me, this marks the rebirth of real gaming with actual gameplay and while Zelda TP is an amazing "game", if you can call it that, it's the swan song of non-games. Wii Sports is the pioneer of real gaming and has taken the biggest most epic non-game head on and won. The industry is about to get more exciting again!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2006, 06:20:07 PM »
Not really sure if Mario is joking like he use to, but I agree with the entire paragraph regardless. It really is wierd to see how Zelda is saling in Japan. I really don't understand one bit, but then again, I thought WW would sell alot more in Japan as well. But still I expected way too much out of WW in Japan.

In Japan I don't expect any PS3, 360, or Wii title to sale like crazy unless its an RPG. Other than that it has to be some quirky new Brain-dog-sports game to sale like nuts. I imagine traditional games will always be big in the US, but in Japan, the it thing right now, is new and quirky(as long as its fun)
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Caterkiller
Not really sure if Mario is joking like he use to, but I agree with the entire paragraph regardless. It really is wierd to see how Zelda is saling in Japan. I really don't understand one bit, but then again, I thought WW would sell alot more in Japan as well. But still I expected way too much out of WW in Japan.

In Japan I don't expect any PS3, 360, or Wii title to sale like crazy unless its an RPG. Other than that it has to be some quirky new Brain-dog-sports game to sale like nuts. I imagine traditional games will always be big in the US, but in Japan, the it thing right now, is new and quirky(as long as its fun)

I think Smash was joking, regardless I have heard that Zelda really is not nearly as popular in Japan as it is in NA or other territories so it isn't a big deal. Also there is the fact that sales are going to be lower because Wii does not have the installed userbase that even GC had when Wind Waker came out. Anyway if you do look at the latest sales charts it is pretty much Nintendo dominated in the top 10 with only one PS2 game in it, so that definately puts a positive spin on things.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2006, 06:50:29 PM »
Yeah I wasn't joking, I think it's a good thing. Wii Sports is a much more important game to Nintendo than just another Zelda.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2006, 02:06:20 AM »
I mostly agree with your earlier statements Mario.  Though I'm personally a big fan of the Zelda games and a fan of the "movie games" era in general, I think it's reaching its end.  I'm lucky in that I can adapt to new gaming trends without feeling too bad about the ones that went by.  I think more than a few hardcore gamers will become disappointed in video games over the next few years as they get simpler, shorter, and less adventure-oriented.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2006, 02:19:43 AM »
Zelda is only flopping in Japan. The rest of the world is buying it like hotcakes.  Adventure games live on!
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2006, 02:24:07 AM »
I love Zelda TP but it's not like it's gonna disappear, I can still play it (along with Majoras Mask, TWW etc.) in 5 years when the new type of Zelda is out (assuming it's radically different).

I really think Wii Sports should have been a pack-in there, it looks like people are just buying two games. Wii Sports = THE Wii game and Wii Play because its fun and cheap with a controller. Sales of other games would be higher if people didn't consider Wii Sports a seperate purchase, it'd probably be Wii Play and something else selling consistantly well, maybe Wario selling better and other games sales a bit more spread out. There's almost too much stuff, and now Pokemon Wii is out already.

Originally posted by: ryancoke
Zelda is only flopping in Japan. The rest of the world is buying it like hotcakes.  Adventure games live on!

Most gaming trends start there! It happened with DS. Of course adventure games aren't gonna die, they'll just be different.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2006, 02:50:13 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution I think Smash was joking, regardless I have heard that Zelda really is not nearly as popular in Japan as it is in NA or other territories so it isn't a big deal.

I was DEAD serious...even though I didn't make that post.

Zelda can flop in Japan all it wants and it's meaningless: it's sold more consoles here than any other game could HOPE to do (something else I predicted back when people were b*tching up a storm about it being moved to the Wii, I might add).

The Japanese grow more and more out of touch with the goodness that is old school gaming all the time. They love RPGs where you watch a 40 hour long movie with bits of pressing a single button in between (like FF12, for example) but games which provide ACTUAL challenge are usually scoffed at over there.

Frankly, the more my tastes differentiate from those of Famitsu, the sounder I sleep at night...

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2006, 02:55:44 AM »

The Japanese grow more and more out of touch with the goodness that is old school gaming all the time. They love RPGs where you watch a 40 hour long movie with bits of pressing a single button in between (like FF12, for example) but games which provide ACTUAL challenge are usually scoffed at over there.

Yes. This explains perfectly why the arcade industry is still alive and well there, old-school RPGs remain popular, and schmups get the respect they deserve. It also explains why they hate FPS games.. yeah..

sense..

The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2006, 03:00:20 AM »

Which is ironic, because they LOVE the Dragon quest series, which is a VERY old school RPG series, and the best selling games on the DS have been Nintendogs, New Super  Mario Bros (which is an old school game), Brain Age and Animal crossing (and all of those games TRUMPED FFXII's sales back when it was released).

I honestly don't know what the problem is. I know Wii sports was selling well the last time I checked...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2006, 03:08:41 AM »
Every culture has it's own quirks and "good/bad" taste.  Americans will buy a ton of Madden, computer-animated movie liscences, and generic first-person shooters while the Japanese buy a ton of weird simulation/lifestyle games, anything with Gundam written on it, and generic RPGs.

I meant "less story-oriented" instead of "adventure-oriented".  I think that the cinematic game's time is almost up.  That doesn't mean it will completely disappear, there will be pockets of these types of games remaining but games like Wii Sports, Nintendogs, the Sims and most MMORPGs signal the return of games where the story is told through play instead of movies (if there's a story at all).

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2006, 03:17:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Neodymium Yes. This explains perfectly why the arcade industry is still alive and well there, old-school RPGs remain popular, and schmups get the respect they deserve. It also explains why they hate FPS games.. yeah..

How do you quote me on saying that they "love RPGs" and then accuse me of ignoring the fact that they like RPGs in the same sentence?

RPGs are typically very easy games, easy because even the most difficult opponents can be overcome with enough mindless farming of enemies until you can overpower the bosses you need to kill.

Which is ironic, because they LOVE the Dragon quest series, which is a VERY old school RPG series, and the best selling games on the DS have been Nintendogs, New Super Mario Bros (which is an old school game), Brain Age and Animal crossing (and all of those games TRUMPED FFXII's sales back when it was released).

I honestly don't know what the problem is. I know Wii sports was selling well the last time I checked...

SMB is the only exception, but even that is nowhere near as difficult as the original SMB games are. As for Wii Sports, it's not a HARD game in any sense of the word. What point are you trying to make with that?

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2006, 03:19:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Neodymium Yes. This explains perfectly why the arcade industry is still alive and well there, old-school RPGs remain popular, and schmups get the respect they deserve. It also explains why they hate FPS games.. yeah..

How do you quote me on saying that they "love RPGs" and then accuse me of ignoring the fact that they like RPGs in the same sentence?

RPGs are typically very easy games, easy because even the most difficult opponents can be overcome with enough mindless farming of enemies until you can overpower the bosses you need to kill.

The newer-style RPGs are. Xenosaga, FF post X, etc. But FFIII, a very difficult old-style RPG sold through the roof, as has the Dragon Quest series.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2006, 03:23:33 AM »
Stop the hating! Oh god! Stop all the hating!

The poor poor Japanese... WHY?!?!? Why are you doing this to them?!?!?! They only want to buy more DS games! Is that so bad? Is it? Zelda never sold great there... never! It's not their fault! It's... it's... just that they have really small rooms...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.