Author Topic: New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!  (Read 31288 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2006, 02:24:12 AM »
Being saved for later...

(Seriously, the game is probably still a year off...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2006, 02:28:15 AM »
Yeah but like i mentioned even if it was supposed to be released christmas time *which i honestly think it will* showing one character a month is not going to go fast enough!  Unless they do one a month and we will probably get a big trailer come E3 with the rest.  In matter of fact people just forget about this game until E3. . .  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2006, 02:32:26 AM »
Seriously if this game takes another year to come out I'll be really f-ing pissed at Nintendo. This was supposed to be a damn launch game, next Christmas misses the mark by a little. If they would've at least given us a solid release date I wouldn't care so much about seeing the other new characters, but they gotta give us something here.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2006, 03:02:02 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart

- Why are all the levels so basic and 3 tierish ( I know theres a couple that arent but c'mon . . . .)

I had a couple of theories.

1) Some of those 3 tierish levels were actually "final destination", which now whips through the other levels in terms of background (and interactions).  If you recall final destination in the past would change looks as the match progressed.

2) All or most of the levels have a 3 tier option (play on great fox, or play on the 3 tier level)

3) Normal play of a level will morph, some to this morphing includes ending up in such a stage.

4) Those are the stages and the differences are how they can be affected or interact with the player.  For instance, there were practically no ledges left to even stand on in the ruin level and they were broken away (likely to fade back into existence after a short time)

There could be a ton of stages in this game, or maybe a ton of themed stages with multiple subtypes.

Other notes:

- Facial animations weren't finished.  Kirby was the only one that seemed to have them.
- Looks like rolling is now a smash attack and you can crawl otherwise.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2006, 03:03:26 AM »
Just watched the video.   As a trailer, it is pretty dull, and really doesn't create more hype or excite.  However, as a gameplay montage, I think this trailer is great.  

I loved how they showed us the new characters, and also teased us by not showing us everything about them.

One thing I picked up about Zero Suit Samus is her gun does several different things...at least three.  So it is a gun, which probably charges up and stuns, a sword, and what else?  

I personally am liking the simplier level structure...yet I do not think they will be as simple as they appear.

Take the Mario Kart level.  It is like the F-Zero level's start...but the 3 platforms can be destroyed.  This makes for some unique strategy.

I was overall pleased with all the levels shown in the game, and I think we will all be pleasantly surprised to play it...and see each levels depth.

As for showing only one new character, it was disappointing, but I can live with it.  I would rather get mini-movies slowly revealing new/old characters than to have one trailer that reveals everything.  And remember, we still need hidden characters to unlock that are surprises.

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2006, 03:09:01 AM »
The only complaint I have is the quality of the actual video itself, it was nice to finally see, but I wish the quality had been as good as the first trailer.  I wonder if Nintendo will give them direct-feed of it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2006, 03:10:01 AM »
I am just watching the IGN non-direct feed trailer:

- Wario, his moves are soo funny hahaha
- Holy sh!t, that stage with the statues holding the platforms is so aesthetically pleasing
- Snake, his CCQ moves are pretty interesting, I think he's going to be one of my most used characters
- That Pit level with the greek columns and temples looks so beautiful
- Whoa, crumbling platforms? Awesome
- Fox, ok he looks cool

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2006, 03:10:05 AM »
I'm fairly confident that there are "multi-tiered" levels; multi-tier meaning you can go from one area of a stage to a completely different one (like in other fighting games as DOA, etc...)  For example, there's been footage of the characters fighting on top of the Fire Emblem castle, and also inside of it...I have the feeling it wasn't two different stages...

In the Starfox stage, I'm hoping the platform flies over to the Great Fox so you can fight on that as well...

(Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but stages have a Day/Night system to them...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2006, 03:26:03 AM »
Unless the IGN trailer I'm watching has some severe speed issues...it means...

THEY...SLOWED...IT...DOWN...

Thank...GOD.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2006, 03:52:23 AM »
I've watched the trailer 3 times, and I always somehow miss the snow level dammit...*watches trailer for the 4th time*...ok all I saw was kirby or pikachu crawling and I can see snow falling in the background, but that's it, I didn't even see any characters move snow as they walked.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2006, 04:04:15 AM »
I think sequence-wise they probably originally intended to show Kirby before Pikachu...

Is Fox really that great?

Zero Suit Samus is hot but she didn't do much.

I'm at work so I can't hear sound.

But yes, it is a good trailer, or I guess it's still more like a teaser considering it'll probably be a whole year before we get to play it.  I can see it being for a Christmas 2007 release, unfortunately.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2006, 04:07:58 AM »
Did anyone else notice the one second clip where Snake is at a level with snow in it, not the one behind Pikachu? From a brief glance it seemed to me that it might be the opening level from MGS. Seems like a cool place to have a level, guess we will have to wait and see (hopefully not for a frickin year).

EDIT:

Here is a screenshot of what I was talking about.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2006, 04:09:05 AM »
None of the characters did much.  This was really a teaser.  

We saw some levels.  Saw some characters fight, but no real new moves, no real anything.

It is just to excite us...not give us all the answers.

And Fox is really cool to be confirmed.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2006, 04:24:21 AM »
aftrer watching the trailer I can say that Fox doesn't look as bad as it seemed
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2006, 04:29:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
And Fox is really cool to be confirmed.

Well, shouldn't that be expected?  I fully expect the original eight Smash Bros. to be non-secret characters in all SSB games, unless a Nintendo character falls from popularity at some time in the future, and even so, it'd have to be quite a fall.  That said, while it might be cool, it's certainly not going to be mind-blowing when they will very likely reveal Donkey Kong and Yoshi.  The four "secret" characters from the first game are also pretty likely.

Come to think of it, we haven't seen any of (Varia Suit) Samus in this one...WTF.

I'd like for the roster to only increase each time but it's for some reason always brought up that some SSBM characters might not be back, and unless Nintendo churns out some major new IPs it'll probably be harder to double or triple the roster each time.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2006, 04:34:49 AM »
Guys, the snow level you are pondering about is the Yoshi stage in winter mode.

How did I notice that? The colors are pastel and features the same chalk design as the rest of the level.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2006, 04:46:11 AM »
I love the "Hurry Up" logo on Wario's vest.  I hope we get multiple costumes for some characters in this game - a lot of Nintendo characters have costume "cameos" available to them.  I wonder how crawling will figure in?  Someone compared it to rolling, but unless the game lets you be invincible when you crawl, it's way too slow to be effective.

I'm agreeing that this probably won't be available until next Christmas.  Nintendo shouldn't have promised it as a launch title in the first place, but since then they've made it obvious that they don't expect it to be ready any time soon.  At the very least it hasn't been mentioned as one of the titles for January - April, which seems to be the window for many other games that were already announced.  Personally I don't mind, there are tons of other good games on the way and I think delays usually signal good things for Nintendo games.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2006, 04:46:28 AM »
Pap is right: that's the Yoshi level in winter mode.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2006, 04:54:48 AM »
I wouldn't mind it if the game is released Christmas 2007.

While SSB Melee was great and all there were MANY instances that gave away the fact that the game was rushed in order to meet the GC launch. I think Hal and Nintendo noticed this and decided to take their time and polish it to near perfection.

Also, online plays a BIG role in the game and from the looks of thing they are having trouble perfecting it. I wouldn't be surprised if half of the development is spent working on the online mode, making sure it is fair and balanced.

In fact, this is how I view the 2007 releases:
Winter/Spring: Wario ware/ Metroid Prime 3
Summer/Early fall: Mario Galaxy
Late fall/Early Winter: SSB Brawl

In between: Project H.A.M.M.E.R, Disaster day of crisis, Fire emblem etc.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2006, 04:57:24 AM »
I missed most of this party, which makes me sad, but i have to say some of the new stages are cool though the layout is kind of generic.  Mario Kart is awesome, although it's kind of a clone of part of the F-Zero level in Melee.  Pit looks totally bad ass.  That's my character! At least until they show Zelda...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2006, 05:00:14 AM »
Let them take as much time with this as they need to make it AAA+.

I don't think the Wii will be wanting for software between now and then so I'm not worried.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2006, 05:03:22 AM »
Looks pretty damn cool!
Samus is looking really sexy!

Speed wise I'm iffy, some of it looks just right while others look to be moving to slow.

I was hoping to see some new characters but maybe what they will be doing is showing them off when they are done. SO maybe they only had Fox done and a few new levels.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2006, 05:06:43 AM »

Originally posted by: capamericaSpeed wise I'm iffy, some of it looks just right while others look to be moving to slow.

I noticed that as well. Although I don't know if you noticed, the slowest part in the trailer was when Samus was doing a backflip on the Fox stage. I think that level has zero gravity and affects the overall movement.

Although to be honest, I don't have the type of eye to notice the speed of the game, especially with a low res trailer like this one.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2006, 05:27:55 AM »
Wassup with the whole every hit has lightning thing.  I don't like it that much.
Though I think the new style is very pretty its giving everything a realistic edge.
Methinks Zero Suit Samus is selectable.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2006, 06:04:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
Actually it's Greek-esque.

I just made a wikipedia search on Icarus, and while I scavenged through some links, lo and behold I found who that statue in the background is or at least has a high possibility of being: Palutena.

Why the literal translation? I always thought it was Partena, which sounds actually greek.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro