Author Topic: Miyamoto Co-signs my hypothesis  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Knoxxville

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Miyamoto Co-signs my hypothesis
« on: October 04, 2006, 08:49:25 AM »
Couldn't find my original thread (an overzealous mod musta deleted it as blasphemous ), but here is the man himself confirming my theory.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/shiggy/miyamoto-on-the-wii-the-hardware-is-basically-a-gc-205086.php

Told you guys I wasn't crazy!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Miyamoto Co-signs my hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 08:55:46 AM »
I remember the "remaking Cube games" comment came up a while ago.

We all suspected the Wii was just a Cube with a new controller but more or less confirming it seems kind of odd.  Isn't that bad?  Why would Miyamoto want people to know about that?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Miyamoto Co-signs my hypothesis
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 08:58:27 AM »
Old.

Once again, you're a genius.

But you proposed a technical reboxing of GC, which is factually false.

However, Miyamoto confirms the spirit of your ponderings.

/nod

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:00:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

We all suspected the Wii was just a Cube with a new controller but more or less confirming it seems kind of odd.  Isn't that bad?  Why would Miyamoto want people to know about that?

He has this little thing called integrity.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:00:54 AM »
Personally, Ian, I find it rather refreshing that Nintendo respects the minds of intelligent gamers everywhere....or at least Shiggy does.  I mean, you have to admit, this is MUCH better than Sony trying to convince us that rumble and motion sensor tech cannot co-exist, when really they are just sore at Immersion, you know?

Nintendo realizes that speaking the obvious isn't going to hurt them one bit, PLUS get them some cool points with the "keep it real" set, like myself.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Hello Kairon!

Yeah, it's old, but I caught so much flak (BLASPHEMY!) when I stated this a year ago that I'm still kinda sore!  LOL!!  But thanks for having my back even then!!  At least we got to go to the last ever E3, eh?

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:04:03 AM »

Old.

Once again, you're a genius.

But you proposed a technical reboxing of GC, which is factually false.

However, Miyamoto confirms the spirit of your ponderings.

/nod

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Well, it's all semantics now.  I said "repackaging", Shiggy says "....basically a GC".

It's all up to interpretation now. *shrugs*

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 09:04:45 AM »
And we didn't meet! HUH! How did we ever let that happen? ...prob my fault... /sad

Hey, I happen to own the entire audio recording of all the workshops and conferences and sessions they held for guests to attend. Suda 51 showed up and I got a shirt signed by him and told him that Killer 7 was awesome! I asked a question to a panel moderated by David Perry!

So... will they sue me if I copy the MP3s?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:06:35 AM »
....Shiggy signed my DS Phat *giggles*

In other news, I also (not necessarily in here) told everyone I knew to start buying Ninty stock earlier this year....NOBODY LISTENED.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 09:07:47 AM »
Can't buy Nintendo Stock. Too busy saving up for Wii.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 09:13:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Knoxxville
Couldn't find my original thread (an overzealous mod musta deleted it as blasphemous ), but here is the man himself confirming my theory.
You mean this thread?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 09:15:18 AM »
Thanks Vudu...yeah, that's the one.  Weird....it didn't come up when I searched it.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 09:19:17 AM »
I'm sure Sony and MS fanboys are going to start arguments with Nintendo fanboys because the console is not graphically intensive.

The reality is that this isn't a big deal. The last console wars were won by inferior consoles and handhelds.

The NES won over the Master system
The Genesis won over the SNES
The PSone won over the N64
The GB won over the Gamegear
The DS won over the PSP
The PS2 won over both the XBOX AND the Gamecube

Hell, the Dreamcast was ages ahead of the N64 and PSone and they still won over it.

Graphical power is worth crap. The only reason the aforementioned consoles won was because they had a huge library of games that appealed to all sorts of gamers.

Also, we all knew that the Wii was going to be underpowered anyway, so why the big fuss?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:56 AM »
You totally missed the point.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 09:35:54 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
I'm sure Sony and MS fanboys are going to start arguments with Nintendo fanboys because the console is not graphically intensive.

The reality is that this isn't a big deal. The last console wars were won by inferior consoles and handhelds.

The NES won over the Master system
The Genesis won over the SNES
The PSone won over the N64
The GB won over the Gamegear
The DS won over the PSP
The PS2 won over both the XBOX AND the Gamecube

The part about the Genesis...that's not what I heard.

How about this...they're won by the grey consoles.

The NES was grey, the Master System wasn't.
The Game Boy was white (close to grey), the Game Gear wasn't.
The Super NES was grey, the Genesis wasn't (though apparently who "won" is up for debate).
The PlayStation was grey, the N64 wasn't.

Okay, forget that, because you have the dark-coloured generation (black and green Xboxes, black and blue PS2s, black and purple GameCubes) but now a light-coloured generation (white and green Xbox 360s, white and blue Wiis, and silver PS3s)...

Now I'm wondering why grey was so popular.  Or that Nintendo liked it so much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 09:58:56 AM »
"The Genesis won over the SNES"

The Genesis never amounted to anything in Japan so I really doubt in the end it beat the SNES.  The concensus from everywhere I've ever looked up this stuff is that the Genesis initially was beating the SNES in North America but the SNES eventually beat it with Donkey Kong Country.  But they were really close and Sega did abandon the Genesis for the Saturn a year or so before Nintendo released the N64.  I figure the Japan factor would ensure Nintendo winning worldwide.  The SNES did have much more third party support which is an obvious sign of what console is selling better.

I wouldn't consider the comparison in hardware as being the same thing this gen.  The Wii isn't just weaker hardware it's pretty much last gen hardware.  That's more like having an NES competing against a Genesis.  Personally I think the PS3 is such a gong show that it won't matter though.

"Personally, Ian, I find it rather refreshing that Nintendo respects the minds of intelligent gamers everywhere....or at least Shiggy does. I mean, you have to admit, this is MUCH better than Sony trying to convince us that rumble and motion sensor tech cannot co-exist, when really they are just sore at Immersion, you know?"

Yeah but you also have Nintendo closely guarding the specs.  It's kind of dumb to hide the specs and then have one of your execs blurt out how "weak" they are.  Plus the "respects the minds of intelligent gamers" logic kind of goes out the window when in the same breath he's talking about double-dipping Cube games, a strategy that requires a lack of intelligence from gamers in order to be successful.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »

"The Genesis won over the SNES"

The Genesis never amounted to anything in Japan so I really doubt in the end it beat the SNES.  The concensus from everywhere I've ever looked up this stuff is that the Genesis initially was beating the SNES in North America but the SNES eventually beat it with Donkey Kong Country.  But they were really close and Sega did abandon the Genesis for the Saturn a year or so before Nintendo released the N64.  I figure the Japan factor would ensure Nintendo winning worldwide.  The SNES did have much more third party support which is an obvious sign of what console is selling better.

I wouldn't consider the comparison in hardware as being the same thing this gen.  The Wii isn't just weaker hardware it's pretty much last gen hardware.  That's more like having an NES competing against a Genesis.  Personally I think the PS3 is such a gong show that it won't matter though.

"Personally, Ian, I find it rather refreshing that Nintendo respects the minds of intelligent gamers everywhere....or at least Shiggy does. I mean, you have to admit, this is MUCH better than Sony trying to convince us that rumble and motion sensor tech cannot co-exist, when really they are just sore at Immersion, you know?"

Yeah but you also have Nintendo closely guarding the specs.  It's kind of dumb to hide the specs and then have one of your execs blurt out how "weak" they are.  Plus the "respects the minds of intelligent gamers" logic kind of goes out the window when in the same breath he's talking about double-dipping Cube games, a strategy that requires a lack of intelligence from gamers in order to be successful.

Actually, at this point, the spec sheet is pretty much common knowledge.  Maybe if he had come out with that a few months ago I could see you point.  Also, when I say "respects the minds of intelligent gamers", and least they are being honest and forthwith, regardless of the subject matter.  I mean, they assume that most of us have already put 2 and 2 together, so why not confirm it?  

It's kinda like a pimp telling this chick, "Look, you're gonna hoe for me and I'm gonna get the money."  She already knows what time it is.  He didn't have to sit there and try to con her into doing it and then try to hit her for the cash after the fact....she knows what she is getting into before she does.  So, by him stating the obvious helps more than hurts.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:37 AM »
The Genesis had a two year lead in which it cut into a ton of the NESmarket.  When the Snes was released, it basically sold at about a two to one clip over the Genesis.  Considering the two year head start, the numbers become a little misleading with it about 60-40 for the Snes after all is said and done.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
IGN basically said the same thing 10 months ago.  

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

That's something which seems to be in short supply in this business lately. I wonder how his integrity sits with a marketing department that's bound and determined to make a silk purse out of last generation's sow's ear.

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
SNES= 50 million units.
Genesis = 35 million units.

lol nintedno lost
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »
Geez, people, according to that story, he didn't say "it's just a GC with a new controller," he said that developers could use GC dev kits to make games for it; it also mentions "graphical improvements."

In other words, exactly what they've been saying all along: it's an evolutionary improvement over the GC, but not dramatically different, and shares most of the basic architure.  They've almost certainly added a few cool features here and there

It's sort of like the Intel core 2 duo is basically an evolution of the pentium iii -- you can easily develop for the piii architecture using old compilers and your programs will work fine on a core 2 duo, but there are most certainly improvements in the latter!  Developing specifically for the newer processor will buy you even more.

• My personal wish is for real programmable shaders of some sort, as they're a very important development in modern GPUs (the things you can do with them are quite insane), but perhaps that's too big a leap.  Still, I'd hope for at least good normal mapping support; sure it's bling, but it's a particularly pretty sort of bling... :-)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 10:15:42 PM »
A nice sound bite for you Wii doubters, I suppose. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

There's something else in the interview that I found a thousand times more interesting. Not sure if I should make a new topic or just post it here. Probably should make a new topic.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »
Exactly - I don't see why you're still harping on about this, Knox.. All he's saying is that the architecture is similar to the GameCube's, which we've known for a long, long time. It's great news for developers, since they are already accustomed to how it works. The Wii is still more powerful and has many features that the GameCube doesn't. They probably had envisioned releasing the controller as a peripheral to the Cube if it was really successful, but it wasn't. So they adjusted. The hardware wasn't as improved as the PS3 or 360, but it certainly was upgraded. The proof is in the games - look at games like Super Mario Galaxy; that just couldn't be done on the GameCube. Many of the games shown at E3 are drastically improved graphically. I don't see how that validates your theory.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 12:07:19 AM »

All he's saying is that the architecture is similar to the GameCube's, which we've known for a long, long time

'basically a gamecube' seems to me to mean more than just similar, it means, well, basically, it's a game cube. This strikes me as a potential PR gaff of epic proportions - why go to extreme lengths to cover up what's in there so small boys can't argue vertex rates in the playground only to have your top developer compare it to the console you're trying to distance yourself from because said small boys thought it was g@y? I'm increasingly wondering if Miyamoto is still an asset to Nintendo