Author Topic: What are the good RPG@s out there  (Read 6298 times)

Offline jimmyjock

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What are the good RPG@s out there
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »
I have Tales of syponia, pokemon colusium, what other rpg games are out there that are any good

jimmyjock

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: What are the good RPG@s out there
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »
If you didn't play Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast then get the Cube version now.  Paper Mario is also great as well.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 03:19:10 PM »
As always, I highly recommend Fire Emblem (SRPG, but close enough).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:45:48 PM »
Super Mario RPG is good.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »
besides the other suggestions, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is great....unless you hate card-based games with a passion....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

RE:What are the good RPG@s out there
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »
Super Mario ATTYD (name is too long), Fire Emblem, and Baiten Kaitos both the original and the brand new sequal I've really liked.  And besides the card battleing system isn't at all like any real life card game, so much in fact that it would be impossible to replicate it into a real trading card game without doing a magor overhowle.
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 12:06:08 AM »
I second Ian's opinions. Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are the two best RPGs for GC. That said, Baten Kaitos is worth a pick-up as well (turn off the voice acting though).

. . . Also, am I the only one who thinks Tales of Symphonia is crap? Fun enough for a while, but it just got boring, repetitive, generic and predictable.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:16:06 AM »
Pokemon Box is a great, mature themed RPG for GameCube! Eight thumbs up!

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 11:37:29 AM »
Pokemon xD doesn't get mentioned? Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles also seems popular if you've got a bunch of people to play with.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 11:55:41 AM »

Originally posted by: WalkingTheCow
I second Ian's opinions. Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are the two best RPGs for GC. That said, Baten Kaitos is worth a pick-up as well (turn off the voice acting though).

. . . Also, am I the only one who thinks Tales of Symphonia is crap? Fun enough for a while, but it just got boring, repetitive, generic and predictable.

You're in the minority.

Stop using Lloyd.  The rest of the characters are way more interesting in combat.

Tales of Symphonia is THE RPG for people who don't "play RPGs."  People who "do play RPGs" say Baten Kaitos is "tolerable" and "a good effort".  People who don't play RGPs will say it's "pretty, but slow and boring (fo sho)" and quit after 5 hours.  Why?  Cuz battling as active-participants is better than waiting for a turn.

My friend is an RPG player.  His wife isn't.  His wife has done everything there is to accomplish in ToS.  I've completed the game on 3-4 separate games with her via multiplayer cuz it's simply FUN.  Especially working together to chain combos and get 20.00 grade on boss battles.

Whenever I do play it solo, it's more like a old-favorite fighting game than a stat-fest.  It's not waiting for the next level-up, it's "bring on the next boss battle."  ToS looks and feels good when played with finesse.  Anything is repetitive after 5 minutes, video games are like that.  I'd rather have repetitive action than repetitive waiting.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 09:40:22 AM »

Super Mario ATTYD (name is too long),
A The Thousand Year Door?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
"Also, am I the only one who thinks Tales of Symphonia is crap? Fun enough for a while, but it just got boring, repetitive, generic and predictable."

I don't really care for it either.  I played it for a while with my brother but we lost interest.  The story is just cliche city and I find that pretty every RPG has such dull gameplay that without an interesting story I'm bored stiff.  A lot of people praise the real time battles but I hate them.  They combine the worst elements of real time and turn based fighting.  I still have to navigate menus to use items and such but I can't stop and think about what I'm doing.  If you're going to go realtime do it full on like Zelda.  Don't give me an awkward hybrid.  If it's turn based then make it turn based and let me take as much time as I want to to choose my next action.

I think Tales of Symphonia is overrated because it's an RPG on a console that is weak on RPGs.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 10:30:17 AM »
Ditto. I hated Tales of Symphonia. I...can't...believe... people play that game and enjoy it... I ...can't...maintain respect for my best friend who made me beat it because he liked it...ARGH.

I even hated Skies of Arcadia. Cliches abound in THAT overrated game from a console underdog too.

Edit: Forgive me, I'm an old curmedgeon who loved FF6, hated FF7, and whose last enjoyable RPG experience was Paper Mario on the N64.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 10:57:53 AM »
You're playing an action-oriented RPG for its story?  Oh i see.

You're complaining about a paused item menu in an action game?

I hear people loved the paused ring-menus of the Mana realtime action RPG series.

In ToS, good offense and strategy reduces the need and frequency to use items and thus the menu.  Typically, the items exist to keep your ass from getting killed in battle.

You should be dishing-out the hurt, not getting hurt.  The challenge is in maintaining good combat form, not struggling to survive.

YES, YOU CAN STOP TO THINK.  BRING UP THE PAUSED ITEM MENU.

You talk as if the menus are interrupting every battle you walk into.  Are you getting your ass kicked that often?

Edit:  Symphonia delivers combat to people who want less "AR PEE JEE" and more KOMBAT.  And tons of collectibles for people who like to collect stuff.  I see Kairon is sticking to a particular mold he likes, and isn't satisfied with anything else labeled "RPG".  Me, I stick with Tales and Mana.  I'M NOT GONNA WITH PAPER MARIO CUZ IT'S TURN BASED.  Making me wait to attack?  Absurd.

If you played thru the entire game as Lloyd, for 1 game, i'd be sick of the game too.  Thankfully, ALL THE OTHER PLAYABLE CHARACTERS ARE WAY MORE INTERESTING TO CONTROL, AND THAT'S WHERE I GET MY ENJOYMENT.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »
I'm halfway through game 2 and I've only tried out the other characters in fleeting moments.  I've got like 120 hours of Lloyd =D
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
KN is special =D

Apparently chop-chop-chop is better than wait-wait-wait.

Realtime ftw.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 02:43:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
I see Kairon is sticking to a particular mold he likes, and isn't satisfied with anything else labeled "RPG".  Me, I stick with Tales and Mana.  I'M NOT GONNA WITH PAPER MARIO CUZ IT'S TURN BASED.  Making me wait to attack?  Absurd.

I loved both Earthbound and Secret of Mana, one an extremely turn-based RPG that had didn't show your heroes in the battlescreen in lieu of boxes to show their HP and PP, and the other the quintessential action rpg that Square has somehow managed to SQUANDER.

It isn't about whether the battle system is turn-based or not, it's about whether or not the game can actually present me with a story more interesting than Saturday morning anime gussied up in collectable cards, flying ships, or english voice-acting... or whether it can offer me gameplay mechanics that's put together well enough so that the fun is in playing the game itself, not in reading the text boxes.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

P.S. RAAAAARGH DERAIL THREAD!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I even hated Skies of Arcadia. Cliches abound in THAT overrated game from a console underdog too.
you completely misundertood what the game was about then

and ToS IS great, there was ONLY ONE battle were I had to get constantly into the items menu (the DA sidequest), and there is lots of variety in playing, as most characters are controlled differently. For example, I loved playing as Presea and as Zelos, but didn't like AT ALL to play as Raine, Genis or Sheena. Lloyd was okay, he has some great moves though, like Beast Sword Rain, Raising Falcon and Raining Tiger Blade

JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 11:51:09 PM »
Sheena pwns you.  With her boobies In my experienced hands, she can practically cut battle times in half.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 06:41:07 AM »
But the game is so mindblowingly easy. Hack 'n Slash can beat it. Whhat's the appeal of being proficient at characters then?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 05:00:17 PM »

But the game is so mindblowingly easy. Hack 'n Slash can beat it. Whhat's the appeal of being proficient at characters then?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
lol, it isn't

try to hack'n'slash the whole game and were that gets you
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 07:45:54 PM »
I beat the game.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
lol, it isn't

try to hack'n'slash the whole game and were that gets you

Oh, Kairon doesn't believe people can have digital fun and enjoyment by exercising their own skills?  Pity.  I guess the non-gamer market is non-existant afterall.

SINCE WHEN, in these silly side-quest-filled, uber-levelling, collecta-thon japerneeze games, was beating the game "the end of it"?

Ever since beating ToS for the first time, did I play it like it was an RPG?  HELL NAW, I PLAYED IT LIKE IT WAS A FIGHTING GAME (aka Boss fights are fun and are a joy to replay) -- A FIGHTING GAME WITH OCEANS OF TEXT I HAVE TO SKIP.  I said it before, the story goes OUT THE WINDOW on subsequent play-thrus, and it's all about ass-kicking.

About Hack N Slash,

Hack N Slash gets you through the game when the game is easy.  The game is easy when you've got sufficiently high levels/stats.  You earn high levels/stats by filler-combat just to gain experience points.  Filler-combat TAKES A LONG FREAKING TIME.  OF COURSE the game is easy since your stats are so high; the enemies beyond become pushovers, especially the last battles.  But if Hack N Slash (no blocking) is sufficient to get by, you've spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME leveling up, skewing your end-game experience, making you boring, like the dude who leveled Alucard to 9999 in Symphony of the Night, and I don't want to discuss games with you.

And about Lloyd, the most boring character in the game,

HE, LIKE HIS TALES SERIES PREDECESSORS, ARE KINGS OF HACK N SLASH.  THEY HACK AND THEY SLASH.  SETTING ONE UBER-MOVE TO THE B-BUTTON AND SHOVING ORANGE GELS DOWN HIS THROAT makes the game a breeze.  But that would be kissing the first tree in front of you and not seeing the rest of the forest, when the rest of the forest is what's really enjoyable, and you're eventually sick of kissing that first tree.

Here's a crazy idea:  Tales of Symphonia is FUN when it's HARD.  Therefore I MAKE THE GAME HARD.  How?  Well one obvious way is to set the game to Hard.  But I do things the other way, playing the game FAST on a blank file from scratch.  How is this feasible?  I USE THE BLOCK BUTTON, and apply skill & strategy, breaking the whole Hack N Slash routine/option.  When playing fast, Hack N Slash doesn't get you far, particularly because you don't have the statistical advantage -- and when things are difficult, it's easy to see there's LOTS of skill & strategy to apply.  It's apparent as you take Lloyd out of the picture, since he's just a walking Combo Meter with an ugly red costume.  But even when you're disadvantaged, Lloyd's choppy-chop talents won't get far, and he proves to be a complete orange/apple gel sink hole in this situation.

So, take Lloyd out cuz he's boring and he breeds boring players who get bored.

Now, setup your characters with the goal of making them self-sufficient; do as much as you can to reduce their dependecies on replenishing items.  Then, arrive at boss battles withi minimal leveling, realize you're getting your ass handed to you, and realize HEY, BLOCKING AND TIMING AND THE OTHER WORDS THAT START WITH "S" ARE ESSENTIAL.  Really, much of the earlier bosses are way more entertaining than the final boss, especially when playing with the limitations resulting from lack of level-ups.

Why wait till AFTER you've beaten the game, after level 90 or whatever, to fight in the Colosseum and collect the titles?  Cuz it's easier that way and the enemies will be pushovers and you'll get your lame rewards that are pretty useless so late in the game?  FORK THAT.  Finish the Latheon Gorge region, and Noishe your ass over to Meltokio at level 60 and get your titles then.  NOW THAT IS DIFFICULT, and it'll force you to learn a lot of interesting gameplay nuances of your characters.  And hey, when you do manage to get your titles, you'll still have so much of the game left to finish to see your character REALLY GROW WITH UBER STATS AND BUFFNESS -- without spending useless time leveling up.
--Oh, you didn't bother with the Colosseum cuz it's optional?  Fine, Mr. Boring.

When you miss out on the hidden boss battles, you miss out on the best opportunities to test the fighting system -- the last battle doesn't cut it, and if the last boss was replaced with Abyssion, I'd say people would hit a brick wall and just be shocked by the sheer level disadvantage they'd run into.  [then cry and say how hard the game is and complain].  It's obvious the last boss exists for story purposes, while Abyssion exists as a reward for people who really like spending time with the most detailed portion of the game, the combat, and give people a reason to visit gamefaqs.

Now, beat Abyssion, at level 65, in UNDER 10 MINUTES, without the use of Hourglasses/Timestoppers (aka in-game cheats), and earning a POSITIVE grade rating -- hack n slash now only applies to that piece-of-cake Bongo Bongo boss battle in "Oakland Arena on Time" -- CUZ IT AINT GONNA HELP IN THIS TALES FIGHT.  Sure, you could try to rely on Lloyd, and win, but it'll likely take 20min+ and many life bottles -- this is where getting to know your other characters, particularly Sheena, makes a difference on the speed and finesse of the battle.  Use skill, and ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING COOL, or hack n slash your way to a drawn out half-hour fight that'll probably exhaust your entire inventory of health items, making you look pathetic in such an "easy" game.

Abyssion also makes for good multiplayer boss fighting.  Multiplayer combo-chaining is fun.  And earning high grade makes you say WOW.

Of course, none of this applies to the boring players out there.

Tales of Symphonia can be the boring drawn-out 40+ hour level-up game at your leisurely pace, or the quasi-fighting game adventure full of character customization for the peeps who enjoy skill & STRATEGERY (if enemies drop dead quickly, you're playing too slow), or the 40+ hour leisurely COLLECT-A-THON for those who like earning and organizing reward items and enemy lists.  2 out of 3 people, each of the preceding categories, were able to enjoy this game in a multiplayer capacity over many summer and fall and winter weekends -- [boring] person #1 wasn't one of them.

Pro likes difficulty and likes to maximize skill when applicable/fun/fashionable (Tales, Viewtiful Joe, SSBM, Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime 2).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
*shrug* Sounds like Tales of Symphonia has it's defenders.

Me, however, I played the game through as it presented itself: an RPG, from beginning to end, multiplayer, 40+ hours, at the level of competency the game told me I needed. And I feel that my play experience is a direct reflection of the intent of the developers to craft their gameplay. If they had really wanted me to delve into their diversions, then they would have integrated them better and then at least tried to motivate me to do so. Miyamoto would've.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
This game is a mirror, if a monkey is looking into it there won't be a wise man staring back.