Author Topic: EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda  (Read 19862 times)

Offline eljefe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2006, 07:28:12 AM »
As an impartial observer, since I'm buying neither the GC nor Wii edition of TP, I think this debate is rather silly. That being said, the individuals who are upset that they won't be able to buy TP:Wii and have the GC-controls as an option are basically asking for two game for the price of one. Which is fine, anyone who wouldn't want more for their money is stupid. But think, are there unnavoidable reasons why Nintendo has polarized the Zelda fanbase?

What if, contrary to their PR-speak, TP:Wii is SO DRASTICALLY CUSTOMIZED for the nunchaku controls of Wii that it is UNPLAYABLE WITH THE GAMECUBE controller?

That is a crazy hypothesis...I hope its true just for the sake of having rad new controls for ALL Wii games (even ones I'm not going to purchase).

More likely they are polarizing fans just to see who has complete trust in Wii. In that respect this is no different than the NO HD debate (that applies to Hi-Def and Hard Drive).

Basically, Nintendo keeps forcing people to answer "Will you gamble with us?" For each issue it seems the same people have the same answer.

doubt vs trust
fear vs courage

did I over-analize that? yes, indeed..
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2006, 07:52:44 AM »
I hope they did so much stuff that requires the new controller that the Wii version wouldn't be playable on the GC controller. At very least they'll change balancing so the faster aiming for ranged weapons won't make the game too easy.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »
"this coming from someone who has stated multiple times that if nintendo decides to include optional GC controls into its games then it is sending the message that Wii controls might not be as revolutionary as they claim to be. which is it ian?"

Let's go with what I said regarding Zelda.  I think I've changed my opinion about it.  Zelda is an odd example though because it's really a Cube game that has been brought over to the Wii.  A game designed from the ground up for the remote shouldn't have GC controls because it should use the motion control so well that you couldn't play the game with the Cube controller.

"What sounds better: Swinging the sword by swiping a controller or hitting a button?
What sounds better: Pulling off a spin attack by shaking a controller or holding down a button and releasing it?
What sounds better: Aiming your bow and arrow by pointing a controller or by moving an analog stick?"

For the first two I'd pick the button one and for the third I'd pick motion control.  The first two are just gestures and a button press is way more accurate and easier to do.  Actually aiming with motion control is more like aiming with a mouse and would be more accurate.  Sword swinging and spin attacks were easy as hell to pull off before while bow aiming while moving has always been wonky with the old method.  There's room for improvement with the aiming anyway.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »
I don't think the sword attacks are going to be more difficult to execute, they might decide to offer more moves because the input allows for more easily inputtable combinations

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2006, 10:03:37 PM »

How dare you say that Pikmin 2 paled when compared to it's predecessor?! It was basically a perfect sequel; the essence of the first game was intact, but there were lots more features and some minor flaws from the first game were corrected.

That's exactly why I think it's a horrible sequel. (Keep in mind I've only played it for a few minutes at a demo kiosk.) My idea of a perfect sequel is Majora's Mask: it takes the fundamental gameplay from the first game and then takes things in an interesting new direction. If they had done that with Pikmin 2 - if, say, the premise of the game is that you have to bring the Pikmin back to your home world to help with something, and now you're playing in an urban environment instead of a natural one- that would be great. But instead, Pikmin 2 is to Pikmin 1 what the American Office (tv series) is to the british version: just like the original version, except more, more, more! Which sounds great, until you realize that it isn't just like the original at all....because, as uncomfortably similiar as the rehash is, the magic and soul of the first has almost all gone.

And, in regards to Assault, are you talking about Adventures as its original?

No, talking about 64. (Keep in mind I haven't played Assualt at all.)
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
Pikmin 2 and MM are both perfect sequels. Pikmin 1 was flawed so it needed desperatly those changes, Ocarina was near perfect so it needed a new and interesting direction instead, to become... I don't know... uber perfect I guess.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

Which sounds great, until you realize that it isn't just like the original at all....because, as uncomfortably similiar as the rehash is, the magic and soul of the first has almost all gone.
Maybe you should try playing Pikmin 2 some more; I assure you that is not the case..

No, talking about 64. (Keep in mind I haven't played Assualt at all.)
Ah. That explains it - I was confused because Pro was talking about how later Cube games sold worse than the earlier ones, and he referenced Star Fox, so I thought you were talking about Adventures, since you replied to him..  *breathe*
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2006, 11:19:23 PM »

Maybe you should try playing Pikmin 2 some more; I assure you that is not the case..

As soon as it becomes player's choice.

...what's that? It is already? Pikmin 2 get!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2006, 05:34:22 AM »
My idea of a perfect sequel is Majora's Mask: it takes the fundamental gameplay from the first game and then takes things in an interesting new direction.

People buy a sequel because they want more of the same, people buy a different game to play something else.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2006, 07:53:14 AM »
A perfect sequel is one that gives you more of what you liked before but does so in a way that makes it feel fresh usually by adding new ideas or twisting things around a bit.  Pikmin 2 fits this to a tee.  A perfect series is one that is so good that each installment is an essential play even though sequels have topped it.  Like with Zelda every game is worth playing and there's usually enough newness each time that it doesn't feel stale.

Bad sequels are stuff like Tony Hawk where it just feels like more levels and if you saw a screenshot from the sequel you might assume it was from the first game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2006, 12:52:30 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
That's exactly why I think it's a horrible sequel. (Keep in mind I've only played it for a few minutes at a demo kiosk.) My idea of a perfect sequel is Majora's Mask: it takes the fundamental gameplay from the first game and then takes things in an interesting new direction.

Ewwww Majora's Mask is not even close to being my favorite Zelda game, I rank it down at the bottom with Zelda 2. I'm usually not a fan of sequels but I think the best ones are the games that are like the previous in how they play but have fresh new enviroments, enemies, levels, along with other things.  

You left your italics open, hurt my eyes, so I fixed it - Ed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144