Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 670536 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2006, 07:12:56 AM »
While Microsoft makes some sort of licensing fee whether you make the game for the PC or the  360 using the common architecture stuff they put in place.  Making port ridiculously easy between the two and even interoperable.  All the software money none of the hardware cost.  You got to admire that about the MS structure, bad thing it will take a year or two for Vista.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2006, 07:58:39 AM »
ok, this is the last bit of Good News I post for Sony today

Sony Loses Developer Relations Manager DeLoura

In a high-profile personnel loss for Sony, Gamasutra has learned that the company's longstanding Manager of Developer Relations at Sony Computer Entertainment America, Mark DeLoura, has departed the firm for a new technical director position at Ubisoft North America.

DeLoura, who is well-respected within the industry and serves on the Game Developers Conference advisory board, has chosen to leave his position in the months leading up to the PlayStation 3's release, and the move is likely to spark new concerns about the readiness of Sony for the November launch date.

The former editor-in-chief of Game Developer magazine and lead development support engineer at Nintendo of America is now technical director for Ubisoft North America in San Francisco, and is responsible for ensuring the technical quality of all third-party developed titles published by Ubisoft in North America.
~
This is the second high-profile loss for Sony over the past couple of months, with Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior director of communications and brand development Molly Smith resigning from the company in June - Smith had served as SCEA's central PR figure since 1994 and the launch of the original PlayStation.
Well its good to know that some people realize when to abandon a sinking ship even if its possible that it might still make it to port.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2006, 08:04:07 AM »
Dang that guy sort of got around.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2006, 09:04:42 AM »
Working for Ubi basically means he's working for Nintendo.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2006, 07:45:01 AM »
Poor Sony.

First I all, I work at the Metreon in San Francisco a "mallternative" at least that's what Sony called it when they owned it. Of course Sony failed at another thing so the mall got sold to WestField a few months ago. Of course, the Sony store and the Playstation store are still here for now at least.

So I was walking down by the Sony digital solutions store the other day and I saw two guys walking out looking more than disapointed. One guy looked to the other and said "Man, you remember when Sony used to be innovative?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I love it

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2006, 07:52:39 AM »
Well, I guess it's not all bad news for Sony:

Aided by the box-office success of The Da Vinci Code and rising sales in its electronics division, Sony reported Wednesday that its profits before taxes rose to $470 million during its first quarter, versus $117 million a year ago. Sony Pictures Entertainment reported a 42-percent boost in sales; however, the division wound up with a $10-million loss, attributed mostly to marketing costs for its summer releases. The company said that consumer demand for its flat-panel Bravia sets, which use LCD technology, helped move the division from an operating loss to an operating profit of $412 million.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-07-27/#film3
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2006, 07:55:25 AM »
That means that more than half of the $700mil loan is ready to be paid back. But that still leaves Sony at a loss.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »
That's only 1 profittable division.  I'm sure they owe more then just that loan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2006, 09:22:44 AM »
I know, thats why I only mentioned the $700mil loan

Sony is Billions(or is it 100's of millions?) in debt if I remember right.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2006, 05:08:33 AM »
a little more fuel to the fire:

Following yesterday's doom and gloom from their Games division, Sony Senior VP Takao Yuhara had more bad news for investors today: the PlayStation maker expects significant losses for Q3. As manufacturing costs for the "too cheap" PS3 continue to put Sony in a financial hole, the electronics leader is becoming even more reliant on consumers' willingness to plunk down $600 for the next gen console. In order to recoup losses within an estimated five year period, the cell processor must also be successfully incorporated into other consumer devices.

Yuhara commented, "We might see valuation losses of a size that we cannot laugh away in the quarter."
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2006, 07:31:20 AM »
LAUGH AWAY

AHAHAHAHHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAH

HURHURHURHURHURHURHURHURHUR

OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2006, 09:39:14 AM »
Hehe that made me let out a small girly giggle.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
I mean, seriously, where the hell is AgentSeven?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2006, 03:36:47 AM »
Banned?

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2006, 06:15:16 AM »
I still can't get over how badly Sony is messing up this gen. I love it
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2006, 08:34:31 PM »
Well, last time I think I started off Sony's week with good news, so now we should mark the end of a no Sony news week with a little bit of info

PS3's cancelled games list  

PS3 only
Killing Day
Theseis
Elveon
Endless Saga
Condemned:Criminal Origins
Smackdown 07
Oblivion
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

PS3 & Xbox360
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Fear & Respect
The Sopranos

Xbox360 only
Frame City Killer

How many launch games does the PS3 have?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2006, 12:47:53 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2006, 02:08:09 AM »
Yes, I love it. That is a mighty fine list
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »
PS3 will launch with Tekken and Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raceerrrrrr!! Quit making fun!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2006, 06:20:55 AM »
Best qoute of the article:

...THQ has cancelled the PS3 version due to lack of dev kits and cancelled the 360 version because it "didn't look all that much better than the PS2 version."

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2006, 10:16:21 AM »

Originally From: Daily Tech
With that being said, even though Sony's PlayStation 3 has yet to hit store shelves, Sony is already talking about its successor. Sony's Phil Harrison believes that the PlayStation 4 will forgo discs altogether.

Both NVIDIA and Sony have stated that the PS3 will have a shelf life of 10 years -- that pushes us to 2016 for PS4.

If first you don't succeed try something else.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2006, 10:36:36 AM »
Do they truly believe that a game system will last 10 years...when we couldn't even get one this generation to last a full 6 years?  In 6 years Microsoft and Nintendo will both be ready to release a system that will be twice as powerful as the PS3...even with Nitendo's standards of upgrading.

I do find it interesting that Sony is looking at a nondisk format.  So will we be downloading these high defination games?  We better have an amazing bandwidth in 10 years!!!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2006, 10:39:16 AM »
OH...someone just brought up a question.  Speaking of games and such.

How many games will be in the launch window for PS3 and Wii?

How many launch games did Xbox 360 have?  And for that matter how many do they have now?

I am not sure, but it seems Wii is going to have a very strong launch lineup that may actually be comparable in number to Xbox 360 second generation of games.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
IGN Playstation Talking about whether Sony is in trouble

Sort of interesting to look at the other side of the fence on this issue but their conclusion is sort of funny.  It's different then what they say it seems.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2006, 04:42:29 PM »
The only way to get PSone/PS2 game saves on a PS3 is to buy a PS1/PS2 memory card adapter.
and advancedmn found this on sony's site:

To use saved data on a PlayStation 2 memory card, you must copy the data onto a virtual memory card within the hard disk. This requires a PS2/PSone memory card adaptor to copy the data to your PLAYSTATION 3.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.