Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 241019 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1150 on: December 20, 2007, 04:14:30 AM »
I don't know what you mean by "faster," but the red comets denote speed runs...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 20, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »
Although there is a comet that speeds up the enemies.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1152 on: December 20, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Gundam reference. "The Red Comet" is Char Aznable's nickname (since he painted all his mechs red while pimping them out to perform 3x as well) and that guy is so iconic to the Japanese (Wikipedia compares his popularity to that of Darth Vader) that they consider painting anything red to mean it goes 3x faster or otherwise performs 3x better. There was a Char Custom GBA and people joked about it having 3x the battery life of a regular GBA.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 20, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
They didn't think it would just run 3X faster and consume the battery 3X faster too?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 20, 2007, 07:59:06 PM »
Finished at 60 stars! Boy, the next to last storybook chapter was pretty sad.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: December 21, 2007, 02:01:27 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Gundam reference. "The Red Comet" is Char Aznable's nickname (since he painted all his mechs red while pimping them out to perform 3x as well) and that guy is so iconic to the Japanese (Wikipedia compares his popularity to that of Darth Vader) that they consider painting anything red to mean it goes 3x faster or otherwise performs 3x better. There was a Char Custom GBA and people joked about it having 3x the battery life of a regular GBA.

Gah, Gundam!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 21, 2007, 04:50:06 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

The Japanese are Orks?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 21, 2007, 06:06:24 AM »
Orks only get a few % speed bonus but yes.

Also, from wiki:

In the video game, Star Fox 64 for the Nintendo 64 game system features a level called "Sector Y" which contains many mechs that launched from battleships and wielding beam rifles and shields that were very similar to many mobile suits from Gundam, one of these mechs had Char Aznable's indentical red colors and is said by Peppy "He's quick, be careful!" meaning the similar speed of many red mobile suits used by Char told on this mech.

Offline joedick

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 22, 2007, 04:17:10 AM »
I lost all my lives on a hungry luma level, and I can't seem to get back to it. Is there any way to revisit that stage?  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 22, 2007, 04:22:53 AM »
yeah, the hungry luma is still in the same spot, he just is normal sized now. Talk to him to go back. (Or maybe it's a new luma in his spot)

Offline joedick

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 22, 2007, 07:45:41 AM »
Awesome! Thank you!

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 23, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »
I FINALLY started playing this around midnight tonight.  It was an early Christmas Eve present (if that makes any sense).  I decided not to buy it when it came out because I was so busy with classes and finals coming up, so I asked my mom to buy it for me for Christmas.  Since my finals have been over (on the 17th), I've been dying to play it.

I only played for about an hour, maybe less.  I love the graphics - so colorful and absolutely gorgeous.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about running around the planets, due to the camera.  I'm the type of person who needs absolute control over a game's camera (which was my biggest complaint about Twilight Princess).  So, I'm not a big fan of the lack of camera control, but other than that, it's just amazing.  I think I was smiling the whole time I was playing.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 23, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »
I finally picked this game back up and now I'm up to 78 stars one planet <that has 3-5 stars> and the boss battle to go in the Control room. But I just found one thing I hate in this game, the freakin Springamajig powerup. I hate it and never want to see it again. It not that the level I had to use it on was too challenging, its just that it was too frustrating to get into the correct spot so get to a stupid block thats way above my head, remember the toy level where the conveyor belt has the giant chocolate candy bars, that is where my frustrations about his thing comes from.

Other than that its still pretty fun not too challenging, but for some reason just doesn't hold my attention for that long like SM64 used to do. But I will collect every single star I can before I beat the game and I will not be done till I have every single star in the game.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 24, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
Okay, so I got 120 stars the other day.  I think the game will be just as much fun the second time around, but I've got some other stuff to play before I go back and play it again.  I may play Twilight Princess again, I was playing around in my finished game last night and became achingly nostalgic for Zelda.  Then again, I have yet to play Phantom Hourglass.

Oy.

Anyway, it's a fantastic game and I've had much fun playing it.  Just a few things to mention:

-The two player mode, though simple, is quite fun.  I mean, generally we'd play something like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros, but my friends seem to really enjoy doing the extra cursor thing.  So it has all the perks of a great single player game, with the additional fun of a friend nearby (and one who isn't bored).  They actually played some of the main game, too, without me, so there are three stars I haven't actually done yet.  I'll get them the second time around, if I don't go at them beforehand.

-Although some levels toward the end are quite challenging and intense, I think the hardest level by far is the flipside of the Mario platform in the Toy Galaxy, collecting purple coins on Luigi.  Holy crap.

-I love the storybook style they use for the back-story.  Reminds one even more of Le Petit Prince, if tiny planets weren't enough.

-I love the atmosphere and environments of the game, and find myself wishing at times that it were more like Zelda and Metroid, slower paced, so I'd have more time to appreciate the sheer beauty of it.

-Long jumping around tiny planets is just about the coolest thing ever.

Favorite planet?  I have lots, but among them would be the deflating mini-Gateway planet and moving between apples.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 25, 2007, 12:00:49 AM »
I have a question for you Psychonaut fans. Does that game have Mario Galaxy esque planetoids? I keep hearing how Galaxy isn't that innovative and Psychonauts has a level that is based on a similar design.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 25, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
I'm glad I waited to get this game, I just saw an add that it will be only $37 the day after Xmas
Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 25, 2007, 12:22:31 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I have a question for you Psychonaut fans. Does that game have Mario Galaxy esque planetoids? I keep hearing how Galaxy isn't that innovative and Psychonauts has a level that is based on a similar design.

If someone is arguing that the game isn't innovative because someone has had a level with jumping from planet to planet before they are obviously grasping at straws and just looking for reasons to criticize the game. And I don't care if a game isn't innovative in the slightest and the most derivative thing in history if it's this polished and this fun.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 25, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »
Psychonauts had the conspiracy level but seriously, Psychonauts is NOTHING like SMG and SMG takes the concept so much further that it's like comparing the Metroid Morph Ball to Pong.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1168 on: December 26, 2007, 06:50:34 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted already, but Nintendo has a new type of ad campaign in Japan. They decided to compare aspects of Galaxy to New Super Mario Bros. You can see the commercial here.

I think its quite clever. Nintendo must have realized that people were ignoring Galaxy, even though they ate up NSMB. So its basically telling them "Hey! If you loved NSMB you should check out Galaxy! It has the classic stuff you love and MORE!"
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 26, 2007, 08:42:42 AM »
I hope it works for them.

I'd suggest that I'm pissed at the Japanese public for not buying SMG but the truth is, all the rage I could offer would be but a whisper on a scream when compared to how pissed Nintendo must be that SMG isn't selling comparably to NSMB.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1170 on: December 26, 2007, 08:45:06 AM »
Nintendo should only be pissed at themselves for destroying gaming in Japan.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 26, 2007, 08:47:40 AM »
I think the PS2 has that honor.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1172 on: December 26, 2007, 09:18:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I hope it works for them.

I'd suggest that I'm pissed at the Japanese public for not buying SMG but the truth is, all the rage I could offer would be but a whisper on a scream when compared to how pissed Nintendo must be that SMG isn't selling comparably to NSMB.

It must be working since SMG has gained a major sales boost, especially since it was out of the top ten for a while.

In fact, as calm as the announcer is in the commercial I'm sure the intention behind it was to remind people that this is the type of game THEY LOVE and shouldn't ignore it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 26, 2007, 09:23:31 AM »
Galaxy looks like it's going UP in sales week by week now in Japan. It's awesome. I'm sure that it won't have the longevity of the DS titles, but these are still remarkably strong legs, and it'll almost certainly outsell its predecessor Sunshine in that market now! Yay!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1174 on: December 26, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
Galaxy is going up only cuz the rest of their industry is going DOWN.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.