Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 240454 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1050 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:56 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

Originally posted by: IceCold
And like mantidor said, the camera is perfect. I have no idea how Mr Jack or GP have died several times because of it. I'm not even that good at many games normally, but the perspectives in Galaxy became second nature to me quickly, however warped they were. I guess everyone has a different experience.

I never had problems with the upside-down camera or any of that business associated with disorientation. I had problems with the camera zooming out unnecessarily far, turning while I was mid jump, turning while I am running to the other side of a building and not turning in time. Also to clarify something, it wasn't always a fact that I died in the traditional sense as a result of the camera, but failed a challenge due to the camera moving and the time had run out.

I understand all of this is a direct result of the automatic camera, and I also understand that it is impossible to make it perfect, but doesn't change the fact that it's annoying. Whenever the developer takes camera control out of the hands of the player in a 3D game you are bound to have camera issues, it is just a fact.

As GP has said, the 2D linearity in 3D platform games has been done to death (See Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot and others) and I don't consider it the ultimate 3D experience. Galaxy felt very small to me because it lacked the awesome exploration of Sunshine and SM64. Each level was so packed with stuff to do, it just made every level seem enormous and full of depth. Removing this structure from the game just really hurt it for me. This is why Sunshine is probably my favorite 3D Mario. It had a nice mix of both.

Another excellent point made, is the boring overworld. This is also a major trip up and I think it really effects the whole game. I know everyone really loves this game, I do too, but I can't overlook all of it's shortcomings.

but those arent Mario games, so their already below standards ;-)

Lol, hmmm. Unfortunately I can't argue that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1051 on: December 06, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »
I WIN!!!

i am the anti-mashiro
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

« Reply #1052 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
Well I just got all 120 stars and I'd say it's the greatest Mario I ever played, putting nostalgia aside.
Swimming controls definitly annoyed when trying to get out of the water, but I never died or lost a challenge from it.  I felt the difficultly went up nicely, from anyone can do this up to pull your hair out a few times but you will still get it eventually.
As for the 'co-op', what they came up with is great for two people to work together instead of being bored and waiting for the other person.  What I see being discussed about is people did not want a co-op mode, they wanted a competitive mode, which is not in the scope of the game which is why I feel the arguments are out of place.  (this goes for other places I've read complaints about it too)  
Life is good

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 06, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »
Point and click 2nd player is not co-op mode.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 06, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
Are both players not cooperating with each other?
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 06, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »

Originally posted by: anubis6789

By holding platforms at the wrong times and wasting all the star bits, you can be very, VERY unhelpful.

And then there's the fact that the 2nd player can force Mario to jump...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 06, 2007, 06:06:55 PM »

Well by that definition you could have a friend not physically playing the game with you but giving you advice, that is cooperating as well.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 06, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Well by that definition you could have a friend not physically playing the game with you but giving you advice, that is cooperating as well.

...You've just described... my entire life...

WarCraft II, FF7, StarCraft, Metroid Prime, Jet Force Gemini, Privateer, Kyrandia... my ENTIRE gaming life has just flashed before my eyes...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 06, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

But to be considered a "player" one must be playing, i.e., taking part in the actual game. Spectators at sporting events are not considered players even if their actions could effect/interfere with the game.

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
By holding platforms at the wrong times and wasting all the star bits, you can be very, VERY unhelpful.

And then there's the fact that the 2nd player can force Mario to jump...

Hmmm... stop giving me ideas.  
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 08, 2007, 01:18:22 AM »
Just totally finished galaxy after 36 hours and 333 deaths(202Mario and 131Luigi). It was great but I just can't say it's better then Super Mario 64.

1. Wish the hub world was bigger. I like the exploring in 64's hub world.
2. I like the yellow coin stars from 64 better then the purple coin stars in galaxy.
3. There are several stars that are just given to you.the last two stars(241 and 242) you get in the game, I thought they would be a little more open ended, but it was on rails.
4. I had no problem with the camera but several times I had problems with running from one surface to another(both under slightly different gravity), mario would get stuck a bit and not transition smoothly.
5. On smaller planetoids when running to the bottom of the object, you would be running in one direction and mario would just start running in another.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: December 09, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
I'm really not feeling this game like most people are. I keep getting bored and going back to the same 3 or so stars over and over. Pull Star Path in Space Junk Galaxy is amazing, even though it doesn't feel that much like "Mario". Seriously the atmosphere and story feels like Zelda sometimes. About 80 stars in and i'm not going to say it's a disappointment because I had no expectations AND because i'm in a bit of a weird headspace at the moment so maybe the game will jump out at me soon, but I thought my reaction would be better than this since this team made my favourite game of all time Jungle Beat just 3 years ago. Still early impressions though.

As for the game having "no flaws" that's a load of crap, the flying is absolutely AWFUL. Controlling the toy helicopters in GTA is more fun and more intuitive. The hub is also incredibly dull and there's a lot of really awkward moments.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 09, 2007, 05:50:41 PM »
Wait is Mario being sarcastic or serious?  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 09, 2007, 07:22:15 PM »
Nope, he's serious. He doesn't like Metroid Prime either - he's more of a pick up and play gamer, especially nowdays from what I can tell.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 09, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »
Hey hey hey, I'm certainly a long way away from not liking the game. It's really really good. Best game ever good? Probably not. Sunshine good even? I can't even say that yet. I'm already appreciating it more as I look back at all the levels and realise a large amount are actually awesome. There's still something a bit off about it though, which could be the same reason it flopped in Japan. I think they need to ditch the 120 star formula, it slows down the flow of the game. Anyway I wont comment on it anymore til i've got 120 stars.

and I love Metroid Prime, one of the best games ever, and so is 2. I have some sour impressions of MP3 though which you're probably thinking of (but i'm still keen to give the game another crack one day).

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #1064 on: December 10, 2007, 01:09:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Hey hey hey, I'm certainly a long way away from not liking the game. It's really really good. Best game ever good? Probably not. Sunshine good even? I can't even say that yet. I'm already appreciating it more as I look back at all the levels and realise a large amount are actually awesome. There's still something a bit off about it though, which could be the same reason it flopped in Japan. I think they need to ditch the 120 star formula, it slows down the flow of the game. Anyway I wont comment on it anymore til i've got 120 stars.

Well I felt largely the same. I don't necessarily agree with the 120 star comment, but like you said, something feels off about the game.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: December 10, 2007, 03:53:24 AM »
It might be that the overarching story is flawed.  Each galaxy individually is great and the sidestory (Story time) is good.  Though the overall story is all but non-existant.  Also some things like finding Luigi very quickly become a non-issue.  Something must have ate him.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 10, 2007, 05:03:34 AM »
Now the overarching story is flawed? WTF? It's Mario for god sakes.

And you guys don't know what's wrong, but there's still something wrong; even if it's intangible?!

Do you guys even listen to yourselves?  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #1067 on: December 10, 2007, 05:20:07 AM »

Originally posted by: KashogiStogi

And you guys don't know what's wrong, but there's still something wrong; even if it's intangible?!

Well you can go back and read some of my other posts in the thread for some ideas about what I didn't like. With all that said, something felt much different about Galaxy (in a bad way) in comparison to SM64 and Sunshine. Just my 2 cents.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 10, 2007, 07:29:58 AM »
Okay, well I'm willing to concede that the overworld is boring. It really is, and there's no excuse for that.

As for the graphics, I just realised something - the one complaint I have is the bland Mario 64-esque red lava they used most of the time. For those of you who played Jungle Beat, you'd remember that the yellow, flowing lava was absolutely beautiful. You could see glimpses of it in Galaxy, but not nearly as much as I hoped.

But, as I've said before, this is the most "Mario" 3D game ever, and pure platforming has never been this good in 3D. Nearly every other platformer is sh*t compared to this.

The challenges in the secret Garden Room are beyond awesome. Especially the Matter Splatter galaxy here - where parts of the room disappear under the "spotlight". So inventive.

And also, the Prankster Comet for Melty Molten Galaxy was so damn hard. It was a Daredevil one, so you had to go through the whole stage without getting hit once. Just one slip of the analogue stick and it was over, plus there was magma everywhere. Ugh, that took me way too long.

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:51 AM »

All I'm saying is that at the beginning it massive hinted that there was going to be more of an overarching story but so far hasn't delivered.  Sunshine story tied together better.  I would have been happy with a note at the beginning saying the Princess has Cake for you in space but, they had that whole epic cinematic.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 10, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

All I'm saying is that at the beginning it massive hinted that there was going to be more of an overarching story but so far hasn't delivered.  Sunshine story tied together better. I would have been happy with a note at the beginning saying the Princess has Cake for you in space but, they had that whole epic cinematic.

what the hell!?

I'm no stranger to complains, rants and crazy nitpicking, hell you people know it perfectly, but this is beyond absurd, its just seriously retarded, sunshine better than galaxy!? IN STORY OF ALL THINGS!? WTF!?, and I've also defended sunshine to death, but these complains I'm reading... jesus, I have no words, and coming from me should tell you something. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm going to NeoGaf for more SMG impressions and criticism instead of the stupidity I'm seeing here, yes f!ck!ng NeoGaf if you can believe just how absurd that sounds.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 10, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »
There's the door

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 10, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »
Now you know my rage at the Phantom Hourglass Bashing! Muahahaha!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 10, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Originally posted by: Ceric

All I'm saying is that at the beginning it massive hinted that there was going to be more of an overarching story but so far hasn't delivered.  Sunshine story tied together better. I would have been happy with a note at the beginning saying the Princess has Cake for you in space but, they had that whole epic cinematic.

what the hell!?

I'm no stranger to complains, rants and crazy nitpicking, hell you people know it perfectly, but this is beyond absurd, its just seriously retarded, sunshine better than galaxy!? IN STORY OF ALL THINGS!? WTF!?, and I've also defended sunshine to death, but these complains I'm reading... jesus, I have no words, and coming from me should tell you something. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm going to NeoGaf for more SMG impressions and criticism instead of the stupidity I'm seeing here, yes f!ck!ng NeoGaf if you can believe just how absurd that sounds.

You would know. Mr. MP3 will suck and Zelda: TP will suck. If anyone knows absurd, stupid criticism it would be you.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 10, 2007, 02:31:44 PM »
LOL this is MESSED up

I for one loved Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Where Galaxy is my favorite and Super Mario 64 is my least favorite. I also contest that they have pretty significant differences between each other.  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.