Author Topic: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii  (Read 76707 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »
"Do you immediately think of urine when you say 'Hey what do we want to do?'"

Context.  Nintendo says "not about you or me – it’s about we."  That isn't English.  You don't say "We're going to the movies.  Come join we."

Ignoring the pee reference I still hate the name.  It just sounds stupid.  Let's say they called it the Jii instead.  I would still hate it.  It sounds like Japanese Engrish like BIG MOUTH LOUD.  If you don't know, BIG MOUTH LOUD is a Japanese wrestling league but no English speaking person would know that from the name because "BIG MOUTH LOUD" makes no f*cking sense.  "Wii" doesn't make any f*cking sense.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2006, 01:40:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Start thinking intellectually and outside the box.  The name has huge promise.  And Nintendo is going to change all cultural reference to Wii and it will be known as a word to describe a Nintendo System.  Period.  

There are other things to discuss and other elements of the new system to get excited about.

Yeah, remember, nintendo is going into this with the tiku tiku tiku!  image still attached to them, and they are last place (in the west anyway where this name is going to be a problem.)  Ninty has a lot to overcome, the last thing they need is to have to "change all cultural reference to Wii" just to get people to look past the name.  The revolution was a much better name and it does not require changing the cultural reference to a word to get it across

And unfortunately, everything else about the rev (still calling it that for now) has been talked about to death already.  Just look through the forums, and you will see the same arguments, over, and over, and over.  This name has come when their is nothing else new with the rev to talk about, or get excited about, so everyones attention is on it.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »
On the flip side of the coin, I would love to be a videogame store employee on Wii's launch day. The stories alone...

Smash_Brother, you're thinking of this the wrong way. You could point at the system and ask them, "how do you pronounce that?" and then they'd be on the receiving end and then you could laugh together about it.

The point is that if it makes you uncomfortable you can turn it into something funny. If it doesn't make you uncomfortable, nothing's changed. I'm personally thinking of it as some sort of Chinese name right now.

This situation is exactly like Virgin Megastores were to me and my friends. We laughed about it but... entered them anyway, and now it's just another name.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2006, 01:52:21 PM »
Im trying not to think about the name as whether i like it or not, try to look at the big picture, Nintendo fans are in the minority, and making the name Wii is just going to make a hurdle for nintendo that they dont need.  I will buy one no matter what its called, because I am a fan of nintendo, but this name has serious potential to hurt sales.  Less sales means we repeat what happened to the cube, possibly even worse.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2006, 02:08:53 PM »

Context. Nintendo says "not about you or me – it’s about we." That isn't English. You don't say "We're going to the movies. Come join we."

Because ad campaigns have always relied very heavily on correct grammatical context, even if the campaign could be more clever by breaking the rules.  As if that's ever held a company back.  C'mon, now you're scraping the scum excuses off the floor.  "I don't like the way it sounds" is fine.  This is just extra BS you threw in for who knows what reason.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2006, 02:12:09 PM »
is it me or does Japan like jokes about bodily fluids?
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »
Is it you or does wee not mean anything like that in the Japanese language?
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »
I am he as you are he as you are me and wii are all together.

if they had that as the slogan, i'd be 9000% on the name
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
I wonder how long ago they picked this name. In the July 2005 episode of Nintendo Power, page 102...

What's on that page??

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2006, 02:38:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: mantidor Theres no need to be a marketing genius to know the name sucks, its, above all, hell confusing, if you cant get it quickly then the name sucks, period! I cant believe some of you are defending the name.

Agreed.

People should be writing Nintendo to urge them to change it, not sitting back and accepting it.

What's it going to be like to go into Gamestop to see if they have any new "wee" games in, or to reserve the Nintendo "wee"?

I shouldn't have to be speaking baby talk to make a goddamn video game purchase.

Agreed.

Look, I don't care if 10% like it... you fail if a name gets a _negative_ reaction by a majority of individuals.  I'm not saying that a majority need to like the name.  Google probably didn't get universal acceptance, but it didn't get major negative reaction either.

Any amount of screening of this name by NOA would have revealed this....
maybe this is the screening?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2006, 02:45:11 PM »
"you fail if a name gets a _negative_ reaction by a majority of individuals."

Just like 360, right?  Oh wai...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
No they already said that it was decided by a comittee and had been passed in front of a ton of people.  Oh but all those people had played the Rev.  And when anyone ask they tell you that you'll have to play the Rev to understand.  Or the make comparisons to Google or Virgin air.  Which for 1) Google isn't a word.  They meant it to be a word but they mistyped it.  2) Virgin isn't considered a bad word.  Still had a stigma though.  That's what your going to get.  Lame but at least they brainwashed everyone inside well.  Though I've haven't heard anything about Regies reaction.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Bull, the 360 reaction was not negative.  It's a freaking number.  It's very neutral.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »
I'm gonna love watching Reggie, with all the "street cred" he's acquired, sell this one as remotely cool. Props to him for at least keeping a straight face when he does it.
"wow."

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »
He could just reuse his first E3 speech.

"I'm about kicking ass and taking names, and Wii... are about making games."

The emphasis was already in the right place, if I remember correctly.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »
"I'm gonna love watching Reggie, with all the 'street cred' he's acquired, sell this one as remotely cool. Props to him for at least keeping a straight face when he does it."

Reggie said with a straight face that some crappy Spider-Man game was the best DS launch game.  He also tried to sell the Gameboy Micro.  In my mind he lost his "street cred" well before this.

I like Reggie but he's a total shill.  He's just a cool shill.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »
He's a marketing man, what's he supposed to do?
"Hey look at this lame gameboy mini, don't buy it you guys"?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2006, 03:14:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Bull, the 360 reaction was not negative.  It's a freaking number.  It's very neutral.

Obviously you never left PGC to look around, especially at GAF...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2006, 03:45:55 PM »
Leave PGC....
But it's scary out there...

(I hear there are these people who refer to themselves as "Normal")
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2006, 04:43:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Smash_Brother, your posts are losing their reasonable edge.  Just sounds like whining now.

How so? It's a VERY new concept in gaming from a company which finished 3rd last generation. Revolution was a name which is well known and everyone can relate to it, understand it and pronounce it. Wii just sounds like some exec was trying to hard to think up a name and I know it'll be a turn-off to the American gamer.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2006, 04:49:04 PM »
"Wii just sounds like some exec was trying to hard to think up a name and I know it'll be a turn-off to the American gamer."

Okay you've said that a bunch of times now but have yet to provide any evidence. Like you said, we're all Nintendo fanboys here, what you "know" means jack.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »
That's what it sounds like to me.

"Wii" will be as one? It sounds like they took the marketing bit WAAY too far into a place where the average consumer will have no idea what they're trying to get at.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »
You think Nintendo hasn't tested it on average consumers? No offense, but I'll take the word of their marketing experts over what you think it sounds like to you.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »
Smash is right, it's almost like the marketing department got to pick the name...

Like if they named the Gamecube the "Nintendo Yoo" (Pronounced 'you') for the "Who are you" campaign.

A bad name is a barrier to entry, period.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2006, 05:04:17 PM »
Is Wii going to be singular or plural?

Wii is Nintendo's newest video game system?

Wii are Nintendo's newest video game system?

Wii are Nintendo. Resistance is futile.