Author Topic: PGC Announces Its 7th Year Birthday Contest  (Read 20781 times)

Offline miedo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PGC Announces Its 7th Year Birthday Contest
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 12:16:17 PM »
I wonder if I can win by default...

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: PGC Announces Its 7th Year Birthday Contest
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 09:31:09 PM »
I wish the folks running the contest would post in here to answer your questions. :-/
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 11:39:20 PM »
He's too busy running the mafia game...
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »
Well I'm going to enter, regardless of last November. I hope that is ok since, well, no answer to my question.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
I'm gonna poke Stan now so that he answers these questions...
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
The only question I can answer is that I can't provide a high res version of the PGC logo.

As far as how long you have to wait after winning one contest, I have absolutely no idea.  If there's a rule about that, I don't know it.  I'm judging this based on the quality of the pictures sent in, so unless Jonny expressly says, "Hey, no letting people who won within the last X number of contests win," it's not going to be a factor in my decision making.

EDIT:  Monitor photos are okay.  Also, I'm going to clarify the Photoshopping issue:  Adding text is fine.  Altering the images in a photo is not fine.  If there is text on something you took a picture of, (i.e. a shirt, book, etc.) and that text is altered, that is considered altering the image.  However if you take a picture of yourself with a Burger King crown and added Purple text saying, "King of PGC!"  that would be acceptable, albeit lame (no one has done that, I just came up with that idea--which is probably why it's lame.)
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 08:54:48 PM »
However if you take a picture of yourself with a Burger King crown and added Purple text saying, "King of PGC!" that would be acceptable

But it would be a rip-off of Homestar Runner's King of Town!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 12:24:26 AM »
The extended deadline increases my chances of entering somewhat, but my entry was going to feature Louie heavily, so now...I'm not sure.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 02:27:17 AM »
Apparently the site might end up being named PLANET FUNHOUSE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006, 06:41:43 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
The extended deadline increases my chances of entering somewhat, but my entry was going to feature Louie heavily, so now...I'm not sure.

You could still do it as a farewell or something.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 11:48:34 AM »
What about darkening an image to make it visible?

I tried a pile of different lighting schemes but I could only make all of my photo visible if I dimmed the brightness. Is that acceptable?

The photo is 100% real, it's just that you couldn't see all of it unless I darkened a specific section of it because the light was too bright there.

If I had a $1,000 digital camera, I'm sure I wouldn't have this problem, but I'm working with what I have here.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 04:41:50 PM »
Smash, that should be fine.  Primarily, we want to make sure people aren't cutting and pasting one image onto another, i.e. Photoshopping (although the Photoshop software can be used for many other purposes).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »
Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure.

I could resubmit without the darkening, but it would look like crap.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 06:36:07 PM »
I hope no one thinks mine is photoshopped, I would hope that if there was any question someone would ask.
Cause if there is any question of it I would be more then happy to mail it the parts of my submission.  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 07:48:54 PM »
Mine wasn't Photoshopped, but my photojournalism sister made it brighter/heightened the contrast on my entry.  I've got several pictures of the situation at hand, so thankfully I can provide more proof if ever needed.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 08:54:39 PM »
So uh...PGC staff. Have you ever considered a contest that involves just a good old fashioned drawing? I mean something everyone can enter and all? I don't mean to come off as a whiner but I don't have a digital camera or the ability to make a movie for the site (Reference to a previous contest). Drawing? Oh man...I can't even do stick figures well (This is not a bluff....). I'm sure I'm not the only longitme reader of this site who would love to have a shot at the prizes but possibly feel a tad alienated with the method of entry (A nod to past contests as well).

Again, I do not mean to come off as whiny, callous, or judgemental. I am simply giving my input on the matter. OH, and best of luck to those who are able to enter
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »
The Metroid and Spiderman contests were both drawing ones. They were both recent also.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 12:43:33 AM »
Exactly, it's not your fault you have no talent!!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 03:07:30 AM »
The only contest I entered was the christmas postcard one because it was just photoshop, but that was a bit unfair, because those graphic desginers with tons of experience and the right software had a considerable advantage. I have liked the following contests much more, even though I havent participated in any for lack of talent, time or in this case, a camera and an idea all I come up with has very little to do with PGC even if it has some Nintendo characters, I dont even know who this Louie guy is .

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 05:03:54 AM »

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan
So uh...PGC staff. Have you ever considered a contest that involves just a good old fashioned drawing? I mean something everyone can enter and all? I don't mean to come off as a whiner but I don't have a digital camera or the ability to make a movie for the site (Reference to a previous contest). Drawing? Oh man...I can't even do stick figures well (This is not a bluff....). I'm sure I'm not the only longitme reader of this site who would love to have a shot at the prizes but possibly feel a tad alienated with the method of entry (A nod to past contests as well).

Again, I do not mean to come off as whiny, callous, or judgemental. I am simply giving my input on the matter. OH, and best of luck to those who are able to enter

We try to mix up the entry methods each time, and in fact I think we've done a great job of that.  Over the years, we've had contests tailored to:

Artists
Digital Artists
Photographers
Film Directors
Musicians
Writers
Fanboys (showing off their crazy stuff)
Trivia Nuts
Game Music Fans

Now, I think most of our readers could claim some proficiency in at least one of these categories...but if you have any suggestions to expand the list for future contests, please let us know.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2006, 05:53:53 AM »
I can only do 3d graphics. Or games. Can we have a contest of one of those? Make a DS-spec game?

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2006, 10:06:04 AM »
WHERE IS THE LOVE FOR POETS, HUH?  HUH?

...HUH?

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2006, 07:44:52 PM »
I won a poetry (haiku) related contest on a certain OTHER site, and never got the prize.

PS: Jon Coley sucks.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »
Well, I submitted an entry. Good look to everyone else who entered.

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

Originally posted by: wandering

You could still do it as a farewell or something.

Thanks for the suggestion...but inspiration struck and I decided to go in a different direction. Though I did give Louie an (almost undetectable) cameo.

Originally posted by: capnamerica
I hope no one thinks mine is photoshopped, I would hope that if there was any question someone would ask.
Cause if there is any question of it I would be more then happy to mail it the parts of my submission.

Originally posted by: Strell
Mine wasn't Photoshopped, but my photojournalism sister made it brighter/heightened the contrast on my entry. I've got several pictures of the situation at hand, so thankfully I can provide more proof if ever needed.

Now I'm dying to know what you guys did.....

Originally posted by: Dasmos
The Metroid and Spiderman contests were both drawing ones. They were both recent also.

I think he meant a contest where the winner is chosen at random.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2006, 02:46:23 AM »
Wandering, I'll be sure to post my entry in here if it doesn't see the light of day in the contest.  Imo it was a great idea.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada